I dressed it down

uncleg

On my last cruise not planning to, I ended up dressing down more than normal. Days usually in shorts and Tshirst, nights slacks and a button down or polo...except "cruise elegant night" coat, tie, dress shirt. This year for the first time I did wear shorts to MDR on casual nights with a polo or box cut shirt, I was neat looking...just like I would go out to normal sit down/waitstaff restaurant in summer. After 3 beach days in a row...the dress slacks were to hot. I think I may be doing more of this as I really want to stop packing so much and I was within the dress code guidelines.

My days last week on Dream were spent in board shorts and flip flops during the day, nights in shorts and tshirts. Elegant nights, button down and bow tie with a nice dark pair of jeans.

There were some people on elegant night in shorts, and they never said a word.

Edited by Fitzget

Life changes, luggage restrictions impact many of us. In the western US dress is more relaxed everywhere and the cruise lines are well aware of the changing life styles of many of us. I know of no land based restaurant in my area that still requires "jackets" for men...and shorts and casual shirts are accepted most every where. It will just take a bit of time before cruise lines change to reflect what is happening.

I know of no land based restaurant in my area that still requires "jackets" for men...and shorts and casual shirts are accepted most every where.

Shouldn't there be a difference between a land vacation and a cruise vacation? [i.e., you dine in a dining room while on cruises not restaurants]

Life changes, luggage restrictions impact many of us. In the western US dress is more relaxed everywhere and the cruise lines are well aware of the changing life styles of many of us. I know of no land based restaurant in my area that still requires "jackets" for men...and shorts and casual shirts are accepted most every where. It will just take a bit of time before cruise lines change to reflect what is happening.

I have been to a number of AI resorts that require jackets, and a few very upscale restaurants.

But Carnival does not require a jacket. So there is no reason to wear one if you don't want.

Shouldn't there be a difference between a land vacation and a cruise vacation? [i.e., you dine in a dining room while on cruises not restaurants]

I mean, I'm a rule-follower so I always follow the rules and make DH follow the rules, but I like the relaxed rules on Carnival (mainly for DH - I want him to be comfortable and men's dress clothes are not comfortable to him and I can easily see why - a dress is a dress is a dress, so I can find plenty of fancier looking dresses as comfortable as a throw-on sundress personally and wear dresses a lot anyway but never like a gown because why own that?).

Personally, I don't see why a dining room should be any more formal than a restaurant but I even like the new trend of Carnival trying to call the MDR a "restaurant" and the way the new menus look, etc (more restaurant like). I think the notion of a cruise being so very different is old-fashioned and one reason I like Carnival (besides the great deal) is I feel they are being a little more modern than some of the other lines and a lot less restrictive and stuffy.

I have been to a number of AI resorts that require jackets, and a few very upscale restaurants.

But Carnival does not require a jacket. So there is no reason to wear one if you don't want.

There are still restaurants in NYC that require jackets for men, and many AI's in Mexico and the DR require long pants in their ala carte restaurants.

Whatever the guidelines are, I try to comply with them, no big deal. On Celebrity I still bring and wear my tux, and on Carnival I wear dockers or black jeans. If I didn't get cold legs, I'd wear shorts to the MDR on non elegant nights. When I attend a Christmas party at the Four Seasons in Manhattan, it'll be tux time.

About the only time I may violate Carnival's suggestions is when I go to their buffet in my dry board shorts. On a Carnival cruise many years ago, I went to a brunch in a tank top and was asked to change if I wanted to eat there. No big deal, 5 minutes later I was wearing a tee and seated.

Our last cruise the food looked better on the lido, I will most definitely be dining there more, and not worry so much about the dressing and primping for the MDR. They certainly aren't preparing to food better to want me to dress up for it.:(

Never understood the people complaining about shorts in the MDR. I understand a little bit if it is elegant night. How could your meal possibly be disturbed by someone wearing shorts? Unless you are super uptight and snobby I guess.

This next cruise I think my hubby will bring khaki pants and a button down with tie. He's always brought his suit, but he would be more comfy and it's less to bring on airplane. And other nights he wears his khaki shorts and a polo. That's his normal attire.

We're relaxed a lot on the clothes we take for the dining room. DH gave up taking a jacket about the time airline luggage fees started. He also conveniently "forgets" his dress shoes and most nights wears nice boat shoes or sandals. My cocktail dresses have given way to maxi dresses and nice sundresses. We stay within the guidelines but enjoy our more relaxed vacation.

As someone who has to get dressed up for work every stinkin day with no casual Friday, I look forward to NOT having to get dressed up on vacation. I think it's kind of silly to spend all day lounging around the ship or exploring a port city in relaxed clothes just to turn around and get dressed up for a few hours at dinner.

If you want to get decked out to the nines by all means go for it, but I for one will pass on the formalities while aboard.

There is, the food is much better at a nice land based restaurant then on a cruise ship. The food on a cruise ship is fine, but its more on the line of the food you get at a chain restaurant then at a fine dining restaurant.

On my last cruise not planning to, I ended up dressing down more than normal. Days usually in shorts and Tshirst, nights slacks and a button down or polo...except "cruise elegant night" coat, tie, dress shirt. This year for the first time I did wear shorts to MDR on casual nights with a polo or box cut shirt, I was neat looking...just like I would go out to normal sit down/waitstaff restaurant in summer. After 3 beach days in a row...the dress slacks were to hot. I think I may be doing more of this as I really want to stop packing so much and I was within the dress code guidelines.

DH did that on our last couple of cruises also. He used to always wear Khakis and polos for dinner but the last couple of times he has switched to shorts for casual nights. DD and I dressed as usual -her in cute sundresses and me in capris or dresses. Elegant nights we dressed up a bit more, but not as much. In fact on our last Carnival cruise, DH did not even bring his suit jacket. Just pants, tie and dress shirt.

I have never been a formal type dresser, I have a nice dress and dress pants and top for elegant nights.

When I enquired on here I was told hubby needed a jacket. We took his suit but needn't have bothered. From now on he is just bringing one pair of dress pants and a nice shirt and tie.

On the elegant nights it stated no shorts and Tshirts but there was a couple with shorts and Tshirt. I think if they have rules they should enforce them.

On the elegant nights it stated no shorts and Tshirts but there was a couple with shorts and Tshirt. I think if they have rules they should enforce them.

This. It boggles my mind that Carnival would go through the trouble of making all these rules with no intention of enforcing them.

DH did that on our last couple of cruises also. He used to always wear Khakis and polos for dinner but the last couple of times he has switched to shorts for casual nights. DD and I dressed as usual -her in cute sundresses and me in capris or dresses. Elegant nights we dressed up a bit more, but not as much. In fact on our last Carnival cruise, DH did not even bring his suit jacket. Just pants, tie and dress shirt.

I did even less. One pair of khakis for both Cruise Elegant nights. I wore a Tommy Bahama style madras shirt and casual leather shoes. The balance of the nights I was in khaki shorts and the same style shirt. I made the 7 night cruise with a 22' roll on suitcase and backpack. First time to walk aboard, go straight to our cabin, unpack and be at the buffet for lunch by 11:45am.

The next one is a 5 nighter, plans are to do the same!

Edited by BallFour4

I think guys wearing sleeveless shirts anywhere should have to walk the plank.

Agreed. Not really into looking at some dude's armpit hair whilst I eat.

Last cruise we took, a guy came in on Elegant night wearing jeans and a raggedy AC/DC t-shirt. Really now. :rolleyes:

This. It boggles my mind that Carnival would go through the trouble of making all these rules with no intention of enforcing them.

MY POINT OF VIEW (ONLY)

Over the last 10 years the dining room attire has significantly changed because many passengers just didn't want to pack the necessary dress appropriate clothes. What once was formals and tuxes changed to suits and cocktail attire. Then came sport coats and dressy dresses. It evolved into slacks, shirts and ties with women wearing more and more slacks and tops. Now it has become slacks and shirts and sundresses. These changes were made not because Carnival changed their "rules" but because passengers changed their manner of dressing. Now many passengers want to stay casual 24/7 because of luggage restrictions and because that is how they want to dress for a vacation.

It sometimes takes time for the "regulations or codes" to catch up with the masses. How does Carnival evict a wide swath of passengers from the dining room every night as more and more of them disregard the current standards...the only avenue the passengers have to evoke change is to demonstrate what they want changed.

I can understand how some "long time cruisers" don't want things to change...a cruise dinner, for some, is something out of the ordinary for them and they want that feeling of luxury. But as Carnival becomes more and more family oriented and appeals more and more to the masses who want casual over "elegant or formal" it becomes futile for them to dismiss those who want a different experience than "cruising of old".

Change oftentimes only happens when people push the "rules" to the breaking point and Carnival seems to be quite aware of this phenomenon. For them to cater to the 1% of tuxes and formals or the 10% of Sunday best they are, in essence, alienating a growing (and returning) demographic that wants none of it. So the perceived "lax" behavior in enforcement is much more just a case of allowing the majority to have their say.

And now I will step off my soapbox.