How much did you use your balcony?

Kittycat

We are considering booking Dawn Princess for next February visiting St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Curaco and Isle de Margarita and were wondering if you were able to use the balcony very much. We recently returned from the Island Princess and for 2 days after leaving Fort Lauderdale it was too breezy to sit out there for long, and the same as we headed back. For us a big part of our enjoyment of the cruise is sitting and watching the world go back from the balcony - and thoughts?

Island Princes, February 2004

Golden Princess, June 2002

We just got back from the 4/4 Southern Caribbean voyage of the Dawn. We had cabin B615 (midship). Although it was one of the smaller balconies, we enjoyed it very much. The weather was absolutely perfect. We had a very gentle ocean breeze and calm seas on our voyage. We must of used the balcony at least 3-4 times a day. Another benefit we had was that we were on the side where we always docked. This gave us a good vantage point for seeing people coming and going from the ship. When in Isla Margarita, we could see the little craft market from our balcony and the people waving the flag at us as we pulled away from the dock. Wishing you a wonderful vacation and calm seas.

We were also on a Feb. Island Princess cruise with a balcony and I'll bet we didn't actually sit on the balcony for more than an hour during the entire 10 day cruise. Not my idea of fun sitting on a balcony watching an ocean to the horizon. Yes it's often windy on the balcony while sailing. Balcony was great for checking the temp and seeing what was going on on that side of the ship while in port though.

I know I'm far in the minority on this but we prefer to be near others for socializing and people watching.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We used our balcony quite a bit on the Magic, mostly to get away from all the kids. I expect to use the balcony more during our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Grandeur of the Seas (June 2002)

Carnival Paradise (Sept 2002)

Grand Princess (June 2003)

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Diamond Princess (June 2004)

Here we come for our honeymoon on the Diamond Princess

June 12,2004

We have always used our balcony a great deal....it's totally worth the extra to get one. In fact, we have an oceanview cabin picked out for our cruise in September (I was trying to watch the costs, since we have another cruise coming up less than 2 months later icon_smile.gif ) but, I am very, very close to switching over to a balcony!

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

Kittycat, we're already booked on the same

Dawn cruise for Feb. 28, 2005 and we've booked a Caribe cabin with balcony. We absolutely love the balcony for that first morning cup of coffee, quietly sitting pre-lunch and the unforgettable experience of sitting in the dark watching the waves glow and feeling like you could reach up and touch the stars. I'll never sail without one!

Southern on Dawn Princess Feb 28, 2005

Grand Princess Feb 15/04

We booked our very first cruise with a balcony because we weren't sure if we would like cruising at all and didn't want to be cooped up with a bunch of old people for the whole thing.

Boy were we wrong; those old peole came in all ages, sizes and personalities

But now we're hooked on having a balcony and while we'll put the kids in an inside cabin we've just got to have one. One big reason is that DW is an avid reader and there's simply nothing better for those people than reading on the balcony of a cruise ship with the ocean going by. The other reason is that I think the vast wonder of the ocean is one of the best parts of cruising that there is. I just don't think there's a better activity on board than staring out at the ocean for hours on end.

On the other hand, I know people that book the least expensive inside cabin they can find because they just don't use it for anything other than sleeping. They say (and my teens agree) that an inside cabin is a late sleeper's dream. By putting a towel down at the foot of the cabin door all light is blocked out and total darkness consumes the room. Of course without a window or balcony you'll have to go on deck to find out what the weather is like, where you are or if Johnny Depp and his pirate friends took over control of the ship while you slept. (My daughter says "Only in my dreams he did")

I think this is very much a matter of personal taste. Sometimes I wish we could do without one and save the money but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

To each his (or her) own I suppose

Here's more on cabins in general though, scroll down for Princess-specific info and photos: http://www.lifeiscruising.com/cabins

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Back in Aug 02, we did a trans-Atlantic on the Golden Princess, and hit two rather large Atlantic storms.

It was a real thrill to sit out on the balcony, with the ship pitching, and getting wet from the spray all the way up on Deck 10. Don't know the height of the waves, but they were large, and that huge ship had a lot of movement.

Several windows along Prom deck popped out from the ship's flexing, and a few people had difficulty walking.

Had a balcony cabin on the little Pacific Princess last November, on its repositioning from Papeete to Sydney, and it was nice sitting out there in the afternoon sun with a good book.

Michael

I wouldn't like to be without a balcony, so if we get to use it plenty, that will be a bonus, so I think we'll just have to go ahead and book it - decisions, decisions!!!

Island Princes, February 2004

Golden Princess, June 2002

We didn't use our balcony much on our Triumph cruise last year. Maybe a total of 3 hours the whole cruise. Why?

1. It was toooooo hot and muggy for my blood

2. We were too busy doing other things

3. It was cramed with plastic furniture that we didn't find particularly comfortable.

In other words, while the view from the balcony is fantastic and getting some fresh air in the cabin in the morning is a big plus, we didn't think it was worth the 30% extra. We're going with an outside cabin next month, we'll see if I change my tune after that.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Balconies are awesome . . . won't sail w/o one now!

Just as Chris stated we also get an inside cabin for the kids & then a cabin w/ a balcony for us.

This last cruise 4/10 on the Golden . . . I even strung the little clear xmas lights back & forth on the railing. It was nice at night w/ all the nights turned off from the cabin . . . & just the xmas lights & the stars.

We also used the balcony each & every morning w/ room service breakfast.

We had a caribe deck balcony which was huge

9 X 9 ), partically covered & partically opened. Ours held a lounger (which our room steward was so kind to get for us w/ a little help of some extra $), small table w/ 2 chairs & then 2 additional recliner chairs w/ room to move around.

The balcony also came in handy for air drying those wet bathing suits, etc.

Laurie

We were on the Sun to Alaska in 2002 with an OceanView Room (C633 to be exact), it was larger than the room with a balcony next to us, because in place of the balcony we had the additional square footage. The window was large and provided wonderful views. No doubt we would have enjoyed the balcony on that cruise, but we didn't miss it. We are, however going to have a balcony on our cruise on the Caribbean this July. Looking forward to sitting out in the late afternoons and late evening to enjoy the wonderful view of the water.

We used the balcony ALOT. Not only for the sunrises and sunsets, but for port departures and arrivals. Then there is getting up in the middle of the night to see the stars.

When we weren't on it, our wet snorkel and scuba stuff was, to dry out. icon_cool.gif

Sea Princess 2/02

DisneyWonder 6/03

Mariner of the Seas 4/04

Golden Princess 1/23/05

While we are sailing we do not use the balcony too much. But when we are in port and after the day's excursions we sit out on the balcony with something to drink and watch goings on around the pier and the harbor. One of the best times we had sitting on the balcony was in Nassau where we saw all sorts of boats of all sizes and while we were out there we got talking to our neighbors next door. We had a great time. Keep the balcony.

Marilyn

We like our breakfast delivered to our balcony on port days. That way, one of us can eat while the other washes up, and it takes us less time to get ready to head out.

We love to have a drink on the balcony when we get back to the ship after a day in port.

We enjoy watching from our balcony as the ship enters/leaves a port.

I don't care about a window, but I love having a balcony.

We did that exact itinerary this January on the Sun. We had a balcony and it was well used. My husband was sick a couple of days so lay in the cabin watching TV (his favorite activity a lot of the time icon_wink.gif ) so I sat on the balcony reading. A great place to read and watch the world go by while still being close enough to dispense ice water and drugs. It was like having an extra room. I also went out on the balcony every night to see the stars. I will, however, be going back to an inside cabin on my next cruise because no where else do I sleep so well - no noise, no light - boy, are those perfect sleep conditions for me! Still, your question was whether you could use the balcony weather-wise and the answer to that was, you sure could.

Leona

Sun Viking Jan. '89, Westerdam Aug. '89, Star Princess Nov. '92,

Nile Romance Sept. '97, Sun Princess Apr. '01, '03

Time until Sun Princess <applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=1>

<param name="day" value=20>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Kittycat, I have no idea what size the balconies are since we've never sailed the Dawn before. I assume they're all about the same size and will fit a few chairs and a table comfortably, which is all I ask!

Southern on Dawn Princess Feb 28, 2005

Grand Princess Feb 15/04

We always get one in the Carribean. I love to star gaze at night especially. But it is pretty hot and muggy in the daytime. I can't take sitting outside for too long...it's just too hot for me to enjoy it.(I'm not used to heat and humidity) It's nice to look the ports and see people on the other ships .

I put out my scuba gear to dry too...Sometimes at nite we leave the door open and listen to the ocean...It's HEAVEN...But beware it can fog up the cabin!!!!

Italy 52 I'm from Chula Vista too.. born and bred..I just say San Diego so the rest of the world will recognize it!

Cindy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;08;14;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruisin with Sis,Clark,& Lana Inside Passage Regal

Hey cindersue First time I have heard from some one in Chula Vista. We are transplants from Orange County. Hubby was transferred down this way about 11 months ago. He is working on the 125 project. Looks like your next cruise is Alaska? Just got back from the Caribbean and was looking at a future trip to Alaska or the Med. Please make sure to post your expereinces, would love to hear about your trip.

We had a balcony on Celebrity Infinity last year when we went to Alaska. When booking we were torn as we thought it would be too cold to enjoy the balcony much, but we were so glad we decided to go with it. The weather was spectacular, as were the views. We loved going out any time--day or night--to take in the air and the views. We also loved being able to open the door and listen to the waves at night when we went to bed. Can't imagine traveling any other way now.

Archived