Luggage locks

Guest maddycat

We have hard sided suitcases with frames that lock.......no zippers. One has a combination lock and the other has built-in key locks. We always lock our bags. We don't fly but drive to the port so don't have to be concerned with TSA.

I use TSA locks.

Can someone break them? Yes.

But given a choice of no lock or a lock someone will likely go after the bag without the lock.

Keith

Unless the thief feels that the unlocked bag has nothing worth stealing, or the owners would have locked it, and therefore targets the locked bag. :)

of course not. They'll just chop them off if they want to see in

At least when travelling to/from the US.

However, as the keys can now be easily reproduced, the whole system is compromised.

Edited by UniPac

Zip ties and straps around the entire luggage.

Had TSA locks but someone somewhere in Jamaica's airport opened it, removed my 1/4 used perfume bottle, relocked and replaced the strap. I felt so violated.

I don't know what people mean about going through the zippers, how on earth do they close them back up to look untouched?

With zip ties, if they're cut, I'll know before I leave an airport, or cruise port, that someone was inside, and can look myself.

Ever since I saw the video about how easy it is to open a suitcase with a ballpoint pen, I haven't used a lock but just keep any valuables in my carry-on or tote.

Same here although I also generally use a luggage strap on the case. Seems more cumbersome to get it off to steal whatever is inside the bag .

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Zip ties and straps around the entire luggage.

Had TSA locks but someone somewhere in Jamaica's airport opened it, removed my 1/4 used perfume bottle, relocked and replaced the strap. I felt so violated.

I don't know what people mean about going through the zippers, how on earth do they close them back up to look untouched?

With zip ties, if they're cut, I'll know before I leave an airport, or cruise port, that someone was inside, and can look myself.

Go back to page 1, post 14 and watch the video.

TSA approved combination lock with an indicator that turns from green to red if the lock has been opened, and a strap. But never pack anything valuable in the checked luggage.

I've used zip ties, but once twisted the zipper pull off a brand-new suitcase when the little scissors I brought to cut the zip tie off couldn't do the job.

My feeling is that if someone wants in a suitcase, they'll go for the unprotected ones first because every second counts.

TSA lock, if the bag guy wants to get in my luggage he will no matter what. I think a lock will make insecure bad guys to look else where but my number rule and more important than a lock is to wear Calvin Klein shoes but never buy an expensive luggage ( the dirtier and old the better)

I also use zip ties & carry on anything valuable. If someone wants my clothes that bad I can always replace them. I do buy insurance to cover lost or stolen luggage & have a list of contents in my carry on. My suitcases are on their last legs & I will need to replace them in the near future but someone would look at their condition & think no one with anything of value would buy decent luggage so therefore will ignore mine & go for fancier cases (I hope).

Go back to page 1, post 14 and watch the video.

OMG now that I'm on the computer I saw the video, I do see how they re-zip the case. I learn something new every day.

While I try not to ever put anything irreplaceable into the case I was still pissed about my perfume. Funny thing is, USAirways knew about a theft problem, sent me a check to cover the bottle in full within 2 weeks. No argument.

Still pack perfume bottle in my checked luggage though, that no liquids under 3 oz rule.

What do you do? Do you have locks on your luggage for your upcoming cruise? Zip ties? We don't get to cruise often, however in the past I know we purchased small locks that have now been misplaced. Wasn't sure if they are really necessary. I never keep my high priced jewels in my luggage! :D JK

Thanks for sharing if you lock it up or don't worry about it! :)

I would buy TSA locks.

Our new cases have TSA locks on, but as other posters have said, if you put a padlock on a case and whilst the case is in transit if security want to look inside, bolt cutters will have that off in seconds. Lock gone . Like wise if someone with a criminal intent is working as a luggage handler they will get into the case regardless of the measures you take. I recall a few years ago the Beckhams had there Louie Vuitton luggage gone through at a UK airport and it made front page news.