Staterooms for disabled

Mandy412

Has anyone been assigned a cabin that's typically for disabled passengers? Going on the Getaway over Thanksgiving and was assigned ocean view cabin 9700 and I have no idea what to expect. Neither me nor the BFF are disabled.

It should be bigger so a wheel chair can get around. If it has a balcony, there will be a ramp. The bathroom will be set up with a roll in shower. IF someone with a disability needs that room, you might be ASKED to change rooms. You can ask for an upgrade and might get one.

The chances of you being asked to move are slim to none. It's after final payment and it sounds like you booked a guaranty cabin and that's what was assigned. You should have tons of floor space. People needing handicapped cabins book early to get one. At this late date, they would be out of luck.

the only downside (IMO) is the bathroom...while bigger, there are grab bars and a shower that you can "roll" into...so it can get the floor wet.....

But...you won't be moved..and will have lots of space!

We were assigned a HC cabin our first cruise because we chose an inside guarantee. It is the reason that we'll not use a guarantee rate again.

I just booked an inside accessible room for a family member traveling with us next year on the Escape who is disabled. They only had one left and we're just under a year from sail date, so they do go fast!

That said, I was looking for pictures if anyone has them (of Breakaway or Getaway). I did see a youtube video of an inside accessible on Getaway, which helped paint a picture.

Edited by cot427

We had a balcony GTY on the Jewel (which I know is different than the Getaway) in January 2015 and were assigned a handicap-accessible balcony room. It was about 50% larger than the standard cabin and we enjoyed the extra space. The bathroom was nice and large. We didn't have any problems with the shower getting the floor wet. It had a curtain rather than a door. I would have no problem with being assigned one again.

My wife is not in a wheelchair but is disabled and has balance issues, so we asked for a handicapped cabin just for the grab bars in the shower. They wanted to charge us more to get a HC room, so we stayed with the guarantee category and just made a request for one. But we did find out that shower stools are available, so that would serve the purpose if we don't get the HC cabin.

You would think that they would accommodate those who need what that cabin provides by offering them at any price point. Isn't it against the ADA to charge more for accessible cabins?

My wife is not in a wheelchair but is disabled and has balance issues, so we asked for a handicapped cabin just for the grab bars in the shower. They wanted to charge us more to get a HC room, so we stayed with the guarantee category and just made a request for one. But we did find out that shower stools are available, so that would serve the purpose if we don't get the HC cabin.

You would think that they would accommodate those who need what that cabin provides by offering them at any price point. Isn't it against the ADA to charge more for accessible cabins?

I think you may be confusing a guarantee price in a specific category and HC cabin price - they are also located in specific categories, and you do have to pay for that category. You can ask for the lowest category, but if it's gone, they will find another HC cabin, likely in a higher category. We went through this with a friend of mine who's had a stroke and uses a scooter.

I think you may be confusing a guarantee price in a specific category and HC cabin price - they are also located in specific categories, and you do have to pay for that category. You can ask for the lowest category, but if it's gone, they will find another HC cabin, likely in a higher category. We went through this with a friend of mine who's had a stroke and uses a scooter.

We are in OX. We booked Ocean View to get the promo; otherwise we would have paid less and got an Inside. They absolutely refused to confirm that we would be assigned a HC cabin, regardless of the category. They said that if we wanted to know for sure that we were getting a HC that we would have to move out of the OX and pay more for another category. To me, that is discriminatory. They're asking a disabled customer to pay more for a HC cabin. Hotels don't do this. It's not as if those cabins were sold out; we booked nine months prior to sail.

I'm not angry, I just want to know if they are exempt from the ADA for some reason.

We are in OX. We booked Ocean View to get the promo; otherwise we would have paid less and got an Inside. They absolutely refused to confirm that we would be assigned a HC cabin, regardless of the category. They said that if we wanted to know for sure that we were getting a HC that we would have to move out of the OX and pay more for another category. To me, that is discriminatory. They're asking a disabled customer to pay more for a HC cabin. Hotels don't do this. It's not as if those cabins were sold out; we booked nine months prior to sail.

I'm not angry, I just want to know if they are exempt from the ADA for some reason.

That's not discriminatory at all. You paid for a guaranty - which means there's no guaranty of what you'll get. Someone who chooses their cabin will pay more. It's that simple. There is no such thing as a guaranty HC cabin - there's usually only one in a category and there's not one in every category.

That does seem odd to me.

This is not discriminatory. A HC cabin vs a regular cabin within the same category are exactly the same price. They do not charge more for HC.

Guarantee category pricing within categories means that you get a rock bottom price for whatever category it is you want ( inside, ocean view, balcony ) in exchange for letting the cruise line pick your specific cabin. A person who wants to CHOOSE their specific cabin can do so, but they must pay a little more for the privilege. This is the choice we all make when we book, save a few bucks and let the cruise line choose, or pay a little more and be certain we will be happy with the cabin location. Most people think it is not worth the savings to let the cruise line pick.

You are asking for a specific cabin within your Ocean View category and therefore you cannot get the guarantee pricing, just like for everyone else. It has nothing to do with the fact that you are disabled. If you want a HC cabin, the only way to get it is to book it and pay a little more. The increase in price is not because it is a HC cabin, but because you are choosing the cabin.

I am disabled and need an accessible cabin. Bring about 6 clothespins to clip on the bottom of the shower curtain. Also, turn the water slower as you lather up. It's when water is on full force that the curtain goes bonkers.

You will not have a balcony. This cabin is ocean view. You will have a large window.

Do not let the bathroom worry you. You will really like the cabin! They have accessible mini suites. That is why you would pay more if you wanted to move up.

Edited by rbrugler

I'll make sure I shower first so my best friend can get soggy feet. Hehe

As for 2 extra bath towels. Roll them up and put one on the other side of each floor drain. You will not have any water anywhere except in the shower area!

Harriet

• 1 year later...

Hi, I saw your post in Cruise Critic asking about handicapped cabin 9700 you were assigned on the Norwegian Getaway last year. I was just assigned the same cabin for a January, 2017 cruise. Were you happy with it? We are hoping for a great view. How was the view? Obstructed? Thank you for any reply. Pete C.

Edited by peter_1953

They're not charging more because it's Accessible, but because it is a higher category. Guarantee cabins are a cheaper category because you do not choose the cabin wheras Accessible is choosing a specific cabin.

Hi, I saw your post in Cruise Critic asking about handicapped cabin 9700 you were assigned on the Norwegian Getaway last year. I was just assigned the same cabin for a January, 2017 cruise. Were you happy with it? We are hoping for a great view. How was the view? Obstructed? Thank you for any reply. Pete C.

The room was fantastic. You could do a Simone Biles floor routine with all of the space in the room. It's probably a double sized room. The view is not so good. It's obstructed by a view of one of the outside bars. That being said, it was still nice to open the blinds and see blue skies.

I just came back from another Getaway trip with my mom and she required a scooter so we had a balcony accessible room and it was nice as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Has anyone been assigned a cabin that's typically for disabled passengers? Going on the Getaway over Thanksgiving and was assigned ocean view cabin 9700 and I have no idea what to expect. Neither me nor the BFF are disabled.

This is what aggravates me. I'm booked on the gem 4/8/17. I need a HC balcony or mini cabin because I use a scooter. They are all sold out. I find this hard to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were upgraded to an Aft-facing balcony (disabled) on the Epic.

The only thing that was slightly annoying was the door to the cabin is automatic (obviously), so you can just open and close the door. You had to wait until it closed on its own.

I wish the door to our handicap cabin had been automatic. It wasn't so my husband on a mobility scooter struggled to open it and sometimes it closed on him as he finally got into the doorway.