Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

The "so you're saying you'd cancel your cruise over X, Y or Z" argument is so played out. NCL has been doing this crap all year, way above and beyond other mass market lines. It adds up, and everyone gets to decide for themselves where their breaking point lies.

You mean "they been doing it for years and now some people are Finally at their breaking point".:rolleyes: It wasn't a year, it was YEARS - NCL always "nickel & dimed" when it came to the extras - why some of these posters are acting so shocked and surprised since NCL been like that, because they gave them proverbial boot from all fronts even though it only $2-50 more per person per day, depending on what extras you're buying.:rolleyes:

All it genuinely comes down to is some people want Ruth Chris / Capital Grille benefits at 7-11 prices but NCL is selling it for McDonald / Starbuck prices with Applebee / Outback service - and it burns those posters that NCL can still fill those berths at full or close to full capacity each sailing, with or without them.

I'll be honest - the price for those 3 extras in the MDR, is pretty low, especially now that it seems their going to be served everyday. 3 items that some people have been wanting to eat everyday in the MDR and complaining that it was removed / served on certain days, now they have it. But its on those that want to eat it dime, and not on other passengers that can't eat it and/or don't really care about it. Still other complimentary dishes in the MDR menu to eat from, that's not any of those 3 extra charge items....

In light of the whole red meat = cancer report, doesn't 16oz of it sound a bit much? Now, we should complain about the lobster because it is unprocessed & white!;). Seriously, on the Epic in 2014, we had lobster (3-4oz) once in the mdr, then stumbled across it in the buffet where we chose to feed it to our children instead of ice cream as desert. Prior to our cruise people were complaining left and right about it not being available in the mdr. They kept saying they would pay more if it were to be made available. Now, for those who feel they need half a cow, or a sea creature, it can be had. I am appreciative that I do not have to drag my kiddos to a specialty restaurant so I can eat my sea creature & dh can eat his cancer-causing half cow. I do not enjoy paying extra for things that used to be included, but for what we pay for the luxury of cruising as a family, I am shocked we don't have to pay for those towels :p

You mean "they been doing it for years and now some people are Finally at their breaking point".:rolleyes: It wasn't a year, it was YEARS - NCL always "nickel & dimed" when it came to the extras

No they didn't. You don't know that which you speak of.

I have a feeling that the "regular" prime rib will still be included in the MDR, which is the same thing you could get at O'Sheehans, which if I remember correctly is about 8 oz, because it is pretty thin.

The a la carte is a 16oz Prime Rib for $14.99 (you couldn't get that in a land based restaurant), and a whole lobster for $19.99???? That would be at LEAST $30-40 bucks on land. I'm not overly bothered by these choices....yes choices, not requirements.....actually kind of excited that I don't have to go to a specialty dining venue to get these choices!

Personally I don't eat the upcharge items. However, I think the point is that the MDR has always been included in the cruise fare. I would rather see them remove the items altogether rather than starting to see charges in the MDR.

I have a feeling that the "regular" prime rib will still be included in the MDR, which is the same thing you could get at O'Sheehans, which if I remember correctly is about 8 oz, because it is pretty thin.

We'll see. That would be nice.

The a la carte is a 16oz Prime Rib for $14.99 (you couldn't get that in a land based restaurant), and a whole lobster for $19.99???? That would be at LEAST $30-40 bucks on land.

Come on down to Palm Beach County where there are plenty of places you can get either of those at that price point or lower, without subsidizing a meal you are skipping.

So an 18% service charge for upcharge food (non-specialty) served in a complimentary venue by staff already covered by the DSC has been confirmed apparently.

Thanks for finding this out. :cool: I know the original thread went off-track for a while with "if it doesn't matter to me, why should it matter to you?" so I appreciate that you were able to keep on-topic and confirm about the a la carte in the MDR.

So an 18% service charge for upcharge food (non-specialty) served in a complimentary venue by staff already covered by the DSC has been confirmed apparently.

I am now waiting for the Service Charge v. Gratuity and complimentary v. speciality restaurants analysts' heads to explode whilst trying to justify the logic on this one.:rolleyes:

They don't need an off season. All they need to do is announce any changes at least 120 days before they are implemented, that way no changes are made within final payment window.

So anyone who doesn't like the changes has the opportunity to cancel without penalty.

Not like the room service fee that people found out about when they got on the ship.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

From what I've seen all the lines implement implement their changes last minute

You're referring to the exchange for regular blue ones for free and I'm referring to the $25 fee for the blue and white ones.

Have sailed NCL twice in the past 6 months and have never paid for a towel, either to use at the pool or to take ashore as long as we return them: yes, the blue or green (whatever color) ones. Where are you getting they charge $25.00?

For me its not so much

about all the changes of whats included then or now but more in trying to budget for the extra costs. It just seems like every month i have to increase the budget. For example the ubp when i booked it was a free promo for the first two passengers and included gratuities and i budgeted for paying for our third person. Because there was no notification at least that i saw there is now a significant increase. And I dont know what to budget for additional costs above the udp or even how they will ultimately handle the udp plan in jan. I just feel that they need to honor the original terms and conditions at the time of booking for all aspects of the cruise. However i will roll with the changes and have a wonderful time regardless!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I agree, the constant additonal cost for this or that is making budgeting an issue for all of s and I doubt any of us like some of the changes. I am just tired of hearing the same people gripe and gripe and yet, they seem to keep cruising NCL. I can live with all the changes as long as they give us warning. I have to admit when we went to Chin Chins on the Jewel we were surprised to see the 3 extra charge entrees.

Argh. I really liked the prime rib at o'sheehans on my GA cruise. Should have known it was too good to be true. NCL has been in a race to the bottom with this stuff just in the brief time I've been following the cruise industry.

They offered Prime Rib in O'Sheehans while on the Jewel last week with no extra charge. Also had pot pie. In fact the food was much better than we had on the Pearl in April. There was a prime rib night in the main dining rooms and there still was the reg steak available for no extra charge: I know it may not be the quality we all like, it certainly isn't something I get excited about but it is avaialble. At least right now.

Edited by newmexicoNita

In light of the whole red meat = cancer report, doesn't 16oz of it sound a bit much? Now, we should complain about the lobster because it is unprocessed & white!;). Seriously, on the Epic in 2014, we had lobster (3-4oz) once in the mdr, then stumbled across it in the buffet where we chose to feed it to our children instead of ice cream as desert. Prior to our cruise people were complaining left and right about it not being available in the mdr. They kept saying they would pay more if it were to be made available. Now, for those who feel they need half a cow, or a sea creature, it can be had. I am appreciative that I do not have to drag my kiddos to a specialty restaurant so I can eat my sea creature & dh can eat his cancer-causing half cow. I do not enjoy paying extra for things that used to be included, but for what we pay for the luxury of cruising as a family, I am shocked we don't have to pay for those towels :p

The meat = cancer thing has always been a combo of bad science and bad journalism. We evolved as hunter-gatherers. And in case you are a vegetarian and/or don't believe in evolution and thus refuse to click the link, let me just point out that these studies ALWAYS include "processed" meats in with the red meat, so junky stuff like mass produced hot dogs. It's panic journalism. Even the WHO backpedaled on this latest one.

http://mashable.com/2015/10/31/processed-meat-cancer-risk/#V7Mv2iTbc8qm

I agree, the constant additonal cost for this or that is making budgeting an issue for all of s and I doubt any of us like some of the changes. I am just tired of hearing the same people gripe and gripe and yet, they seem to keep cruising NCL. I can live with all the changes as long as they give us warning. I have to admit when we went to Chin Chins on the Jewel we were surprised to see the 3 extra charge entrees.

I complain about some of the things my wife does but I'm still married to her;) (and more importantly she's still married to me even though she complains about me. A lot:eek:.)

Some people haven't reached their breaking point with the changes and are probably hoping they won't, but are very nervous that the breaking point may be just around the corner.

I don't get into these NCL threads lately, so you haven't seen my name among frequent gripers. I do notice the same one-note cheerleaders in every thread, though (not you). Both types make conversation difficult. I am neither a continual griper or a cheerleader (I am as likely to defend them as criticize), but I am a new cruiser shopping and trying ALL the mass market lines right now and I can tell you that NCL has made more decisions I find disappointing, by a factor of at least ten, then any of the other four or five lines whose forums I lurk and post on regularly.

For example, on the Celebrity forums, recent complaints include:

--music too loud in atrium (apparently a long standing problem)

--website nearly non functional

--"I had to wait for fifteen minutes to be seated at suite restaurant".

None of these are related to increased upcharges and "service charges".

I don't get into these NCL threads lately, so you haven't seen my name among frequent gripers. I do notice the same one-note cheerleaders in every thread, though (not you). Both types make conversation difficult. I am neither a continual griper or a cheerleader (I am as likely to defend them as criticize), but I am a new cruiser shopping and trying ALL the mass market lines right now and I can tell you that NCL has made more decisions I find disappointing, by a factor of at least ten, then any of the other four or five lines whose forums I lurk and post on regularly.

For example, on the Celebrity forums, recent complaints include:

--music too loud in atrium (apparently a long standing problem)

--website nearly non functional

--"I had to wait for fifteen minutes to be seated at suite restaurant".

None of these are related to increased upcharges and "service charges".

and, you have the right attitude: yes, trying other lines is a good idea. For those who are 100% happy with NCL or any line, there is no reason I guess to spread your wings, but we too, like you tried all lines before settling pretty much on NCL. A lot of our decision has to do with us only cruising once or twice a year and the perks we get from being platinum, but we really do enjoy most of what the line has to offer and still think it is a good value.

As for your wait to be seated, I certainly hope you said something to the hotel manager or the food and beverage manager. As for the music, it has never bothered us, but sometimes the music by the pool does. The website always an issue. However I just tried to use RCIs yesterday and it was pretty sad as well.

I am now waiting for the Service Charge v. Gratuity and complimentary v. speciality restaurants analysts' heads to explode whilst trying to justify the logic on this one.:rolleyes:

Ha ha. You are right

I last sailed NCL 10 months ago and come to this board daily. I cant keep track of all these new fees and changes to programs. The UDP is not covering things anymore and there is another package but you have to pay for certain specialty restaurants ....not even getting into auto gratuity, service fees, gratuities added. The MDR charges just want to make your head explode. :eek:

I complain about some of the things my wife does but I'm still married to her;) (and more importantly she's still married to me even though she complains about me. A lot:eek:.)

Some people haven't reached their breaking point with the changes and are probably hoping they won't, but are very nervous that the breaking point may be just around the corner.

When I talk about the complainers I am not thinking of those who are unhappy with some of the changes and voice their opinion: good for them. I am talking about the handful or so that keep it up and can't find a positive thing to say: there are a few of those. If anyone thinks any of the new policies are going to change or that other lines are not going to adopt some of them, are probaby very wrong. I wonder if the posters I am referring to and yes, you probably know most of the screen names, have one positive thing to say or can find any change they might like or can easily live with.

The a la carte is a 16oz Prime Rib for $14.99 (you couldn't get that in a land based restaurant), and a whole lobster for $19.99???? That would be at LEAST $30-40 bucks on land. I'm not overly bothered by these choices....yes choices, not requirements.....actually kind of excited that I don't have to go to a specialty dining venue to get these choices!

You can get a whole lobster for $19.99 on land. It really depends on where you live. If you're from Maine or Rhode Island you can get the same for about $14.99 (for a meal including the lobster) which is what I do every time I visit. It's all relative.

Also, many all-inclusive land resorts usually don't charge for "specialty" restaurants or up charge meals so that's always an option.

When I talk about the complainers I am not thinking of those who are unhappy with some of the changes and voice their opinion: good for them. I am talking about the handful or so that keep it up and can't find a positive thing to say: there are a few of those. If anyone thinks any of the new policies are going to change or that other lines are not going to adopt some of them, are probaby very wrong. I wonder if the posters I am referring to and yes, you probably know most of the screen names, have one positive thing to say or can find any change they might like or can easily live with.

And the same could be said about the same handful who constantly defend anything Ncl does and berates people who don't agree with them. The name calling has gotten out of hand yet it somehow is allowed to continue.

I happen to like cruising Ncl....but basically for the price. I'm not seeing the great deals I've gotten in the past so much going forward and my upcoming Gem 10 day steal might be it for the near future with Ncl.

I'm looking at Europe again for summer 2016 but Ncl just isn't doing much so I guess it's back to princess but not even at their current prices

Best bet for next summer in Europe is a land trip with nothing more than airfare prepaid and just totally refundable 1 night deposits made at hotels in case we tweak our itinerary at the last minute.

I'm good with it

Edited by luvtheships

Ha ha. You are right

I last sailed NCL 10 months ago and come to this board daily. I cant keep track of all these new fees and changes to programs. The UDP is not covering things anymore and there is another package but you have to pay for certain specialty restaurants ....not even getting into auto gratuity, service fees, gratuities added. The MDR charges just want to make your head explode. :eek:

And this is why I book the cheapest insides!! If I want a drink I pay for it. If I want a specialty meaI pay for it

So much simpler and more than likely cheaper that way because including ubp and udp is never ever free even if they say it is. Lol

Edited by luvtheships