Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

I'm going by memory, but didn't NCL have lobster tails in the buffet after they disappeared in the MDR and then it changed to a seafood pasta with lobster? I could swear I read some posts where folks were saying they were eating large amonts of lobster tails in the MDR and then in the buffet....maybe that is why there isn't any lobster in the MDR or buffet.

You are 100% correct

I'm going by memory, but didn't NCL have lobster tails in the buffet after they disappeared in the MDR and then it changed to a seafood pasta with lobster? I could swear I read some posts where folks were saying they were eating large amonts of lobster tails in the MDR and then in the buffet....maybe that is why there isn't any lobster in the MDR or buffet.

I remember posts of that earlier last year for the smaller ships and people being upset that NCL remove that as well from the buffet.

You know a lot about Royal Caribbean...

Do you know how websites are devoted to just Royal Caribbean only, let allow cruising in general? Just saying - not that hard to do the research on big 3 lines and there's more info on Royal & Carnival than there is on NCL.

Do you know how websites are devoted to just Royal Caribbean only, let allow cruising in general? Just saying - not that hard to do the research on big 3 lines and there's more info on Royal & Carnival than there is on NCL.

What maxwell is saying is that you seem to think you know everything about every cruise line period. This may not be the case...i.e. The towel charge

It's funny I haven't been on a cruise since NCL Spirit in 2007. MY hubby and I have been doing all inclusive vacations since then because we find it MUCH cheaper. This cruise for 1/12 that I have booked was to see if the all inclusive resorts are really cheaper. I prefer being on an island for a week bc I love to walk the beach at night and I love to sit at the ocean at sunrise. I am truly looking forward to my Gem cruise, but I am not liking all the extra charges that were not around the last time I cruised. Looking way back to my first cruise EVERYTHING was included.....Sad the way they keep adding "extra charges". Cruising used to be the cheapest way to enjoy a vacation

Charging for certain items on the MDR menu is nothing new in the industry and at first blush there doesn't seem to be any cause for alarm. As long as this doesn't reduce the number of complimentary items on the menu I wouldn't be too concerned with it. The prices charged for the items offered don't seem to be that outrageous. Yes, those items used to be offered gratis, but times and menus do change.

It does reduce the number of complimentary items... Prime Rib used to be an item you could order. Hell, lobster used to be an item you could order.

I'd just restaurant hop in that situation. Walk off Cagneys a bit, then head to MDR, be sat there, to order desserts. Or insert specialty restaurant of named choice here; I'm just not seeing anything on the menus that looks so enticing that I'd spend $10-12 a night for two of us to have. MDR is good, included, and we can sample more variety.

Does anyone know if the Upcharge items in the MDR attract an 18% service charge? That wait staff is already in the DSC pool and NCL have only said specialty restaurant wait staff is not

When did NCL say that speciality restaurant staff was not included?

It does reduce the number of complimentary items... Prime Rib used to be an item you could order. Hell, lobster used to be an item you could order.

I meant the overall number of complimentary entrees, not what they were specifically. As I recall when we were on the Gem there were something like 5 entrees that were available every evening and 5 entrees that changed every evening. As long as the food is tasty I don't really care what the dishes are. (And I was able to get lobster in the MDR on that cruise, a 3oz tail.)

Wondering how that works with the DSC. If 18% is added to up charge MDR items and you order up charge MDR items then it would be essentially the same as speciality dining where your DSC is not covered for the speciality servers. So then DSC coverage is for room steward, cafeteria and not mdr? Will be interesting to see if they add up charge items available in the buffet, etc. with an 18% charge. The DSC issue will take on a whole new light. I really can see it coming down to DSC just being a mandatory fee with mandatory gratuities added for everything from room stewards to the bag delivery. At that point the description of what DSC is used for will be for god only knows what.

I've been on 6 ncl cruises and have my 7th booked. I don't have a single bad thing to say about ncl, me and my wife love it

.. But this is starting to get a little ridiculous now with all the extra fees. An upcharge for prime rib?? ***

Link?

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Gratuities?

18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:

• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

Just saw a post in one of the Escape threads showing prices for Ala Carte items in the main dinning room. Tacky NCL, very tachy :(

It took me days to even open this thread because I thought it was a joke. I priced a meal at Cagneys and what I got earlier this year would be about double in price now. Plus an 18% gratuity added on. Now charging for meals in the MDR?

What next? The amount of fees, new charges, and hidden charges with NCL is exploding. Prime rib and lobster was something that was always included in the MDR on NCL.

Edited by david_sobe

My first cruise was in 1990 on Sovereign of the Seas and we are now Diamond members.

NCL could charge for towels, and pillows and everything in the MDR room and there would still be a few championing what a great idea it is.

This is ridiculous. Their prices have skyrocketed and their fees have as well.

A-men

I used to say if NCL announced a policy of hitting you over the head with a frying pan when you boarded the ship there would be many here praising what a brilliant idea it was :eek:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Gratuities?

18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:

• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

The link you provide lists some crew members that the service charge INCLUDES. It does not indicate that these are the ONLY crew members covered, nor does it state that specialty restaurant staff are not covered (excluded).

If I say "a group of people including people that I work with are going on a cruise together", am I saying that everyone in the group is someone I work with?

My question, was when/where was it ever stated that they were not covered, still stands.

The link you provide lists some crew members that the service charge INCLUDES. It does not indicate that these are the ONLY crew members covered, nor does it state that specialty restaurant staff are not covered (excluded).

If I say "a group of people including people that I work with are going on a cruise together", am I saying that everyone in the group is someone I work with?

My question, was when/where was it ever stated that they were not covered, still stands.

Prior to adding 18% for speciality the DSC explanation on ncl website read all restaurant servers. They added 18% on speciality dining and specifically changed the wording to read complementary dining venues. If they are still included in DSC why did they specifically remove them from DSC explanation?

It used to say, "RESTAURANT STAFF' and has since been changed to say say "complimentary restaurant staff. This change went was on their website after the 18% service charge/gratuities were added to the specialty restaurants.

There was a huge thread about this way back when.

Harriet

Prior to adding 18% for speciality the DSC explanation on ncl website read all restaurant servers. They added 18% on speciality dining and specifically changed the wording to read complementary dining venues. If they are still included in DSC why did they specifically remove them from DSC explanation?

First, they are not providing an inclusive list of who benefits from the DSC.

Some people could be upset the certain servers benefit from both the DSC and a mandatory 18% gratuity. Removing the words "specialty restaurant staff" from the FAQ heads off the argument. What it does not do is state that they are excluded from the DSC...something NCL has never stated.

If they have, I'd love to have the link.

Some people could be upset the certain servers benefit from both the DSC and a mandatory 18% gratuity. Removing the words "specialty restaurant staff" from the FAQ heads off the argument. What it does not do is state that they are excluded from the DSC...something NCL has never stated.

You expect NCL to provide clear, un-ambiguous and non-contradictory information within the last year or so?:confused::rolleyes::confused::eek::D:mad: (lots of smileys to convey confusion)

Nobody has clue a what is really going on - management, crew, PCCs, TAs - the Miami Puzzle Palace has managed to bamboozle everyone (including themselves)

Edited by SteveH2508

It used to say, "RESTAURANT STAFF' and has since been changed to say say "complimentary restaurant staff. This change went was on their website after the 18% service charge/gratuities were added to the specialty restaurants.

There was a huge thread about this way back when.

Harriet

Harriet,

I am aware of what it says, and what it used to say. I am also aware of what it does not say.

NCL is very careful in the language that they use. We should be just as careful to understand what is being said...and not said.

Post 83 shows the claim made and my very simple question in response. Either NCL stated that the specialty restaurant staff was not included or they did not make that statement...one or the other. If the statement was made, I'd love to see where. If not, someone should just say "well, NCL never actually said that", right?

Is it more palatable to think of a DSC service charge on top of a 18% service charge? If so more power to you. Sounds like a brilliant plan. Order a decent cut of meat that was free last week in MDR and feel oh so good that this week it's a $15 up charge with a likely 18% gratuity tacked on.

My personal fear is the cafeteria will become a madhouse. A fight for hot dogs with nowhere to eat unless standing.

You expect NCL to provide clear, un-ambiguous and non-contradictory information within the last year or so?:confused::rolleyes::confused::eek::D:mad: (lots of smileys to convey confusion)

No...I just think that when a person states that NCL said something, that they should be able to show where it was said. (Lack of smileys to convey lack of confusion)