Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

Perhaps NCL was under pricing their product all these years. I know that Kevin S. was making changes before he abruptly left. There is no way NCL will ever be able to make any changes and make everyone happy. If they listed changes 120 days in advance or two years, they would still upset someone. The only way to make some happy is to never change anything. As I've said before, a couple of years ago, some of these same posters were complaining because there was no UDP/UBP, whole lobsters etc. As soon as NCL implemented them, the screaming began. People want the moon, but want it to be free. Every business, McDonalds, the major airlines, buses, trains, Sears all make pricing changes. They don't make advance notice to their customers. These are competitive business decisions. My suite prices for the next two years have gone down substantially from where they were two years ago. There has not been a change that I'm aware of that is mandatory. Everything is an option. You can chose to take the option or sail for zero dollars on board with the exception of DSC, which can be reduced/eliminated if you wish to punish the workers. None of these increases amount to a single dollar extra unless you wish to spend the money for extras. Some of this noise could be understandable if you at one time last year could get a 1.5 lb lobster for free and now had to pay $19.99. Not the case though. Same with the 18 oz. prime rib, never had it before, so no price increase there. There is only one way to influence NCL with these pricing complaints, get enough people to quit sailing NCL, or stop buying anything extra onboard until NCL either lowers prices or goes out of business. The same 15 or 20 people on here complaining (they have every right to complain) will never change NCL's pricing policies. It's almost like sport to some.

I would love to see one of these folks lay out a brief plan of how NCL can increase revenue to the level they need, and how to do it in a way that would get everyone on here to be happy with the plan! Oh, and while your laying out the plan, let it be "fair" for everyone including NCL.

The "so you're saying you'd cancel your cruise over X, Y or Z" argument is so played out. NCL has been doing this crap all year, way above and beyond other mass market lines. It adds up, and everyone gets to decide for themselves where their breaking point lies.

I've been saying all Along that Ncl actually wants to rid themselves of the savvy return cruiser....because we are just too knowledgeable about prices and policies and changes etc

They want the newbie who thinks they are getting a great deal at $3000 that Ncl sold for $1800 last year

They want newbies and start them out expecting all these up charges and high prices....because newbies just have nothing to compare to

Edited by luvtheships

I don't get into these NCL threads lately, so you haven't seen my name among frequent gripers. I do notice the same one-note cheerleaders in every thread, though (not you). Both types make conversation difficult. I am neither a continual griper or a cheerleader (I am as likely to defend them as criticize), but I am a new cruiser shopping and trying ALL the mass market lines right now and I can tell you that NCL has made more decisions I find disappointing, by a factor of at least ten, then any of the other four or five lines whose forums I lurk and post on regularly.

For example, on the Celebrity forums, recent complaints include:

--music too loud in atrium (apparently a long standing problem)

--website nearly non functional

--"I had to wait for fifteen minutes to be seated at suite restaurant".

None of these are related to increased upcharges and "service charges".

On Celebrity, they were also complaining over the years that the 15% gratuity for drinks was increased to 18%, the change in the loyalty program and the price of drinks and drink prices have gone up. There are complaints on all lines, but they are not always the same.

Who and how many have confirmed it? I didn't see that in any of these posts.

Currently too many different Escape threads to easily find it on mobile again for reference but am an entire evening of MDR menu is posted to instagram with norwegianescape tag

Currently too many different Escape threads to easily find it on mobile again for reference but am an entire evening of MDR menu is posted to instagram with norwegianescape tag
There are still a lot of unanswered questions. I saw the post on here that someone copied and it says an 18% beverage gratuity and service charge might be added, if I remember correctly. We don't know where the items are being cooked, is it in the MDR kitchen or elsewhere and we don't know if the servers from the MDR are the ones who are fetching these items or if it the specialty restaurant servers or other servers. I'm still waiting for a reply from NCL and I asked the following questions:

Is there an 18% or other gratuity added to the new MDR upcharged items (prime rib, lobster, surf and turf) currently being served on the Escape in the MDR?

If there is a gratuity added to the items above, is it the MDR servers who are serving the meals, thus not only are they getting their share of the DSC, but also now an additional gratuity?

Before I pass judgment that they are screwing the passengers with this, I'll wait for a response from NCL.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions. I saw the post on here that someone copied and it says an 18% beverage gratuity and service charge might be added, if I remember correctly. We don't know where the items are being cooked, is it in the MDR kitchen or elsewhere and we don't know if the servers from the MDR are the ones who are fetching these items or if it the specialty restaurant servers or other servers. I'm still waiting for a reply from NCL and I asked the following questions:

Is there an 18% or other gratuity added to the new MDR upcharged items (prime rib, lobster, surf and turf) currently being served on the Escape in the MDR?

If there is a gratuity added to the items above, is it the MDR servers who are serving the meals, thus not only are they getting their share of the DSC, but also now an additional gratuity?

Before I pass judgment that they are screwing the passengers with this, I'll wait for a response from NCL.

I, for one, look forward to you sharing your response. And whatever the response may be, thank you in advance for going another avenue to find out.

I, for one, look forward to you sharing your response. And whatever the response may be, thank you in advance for going another avenue to find out.
Well, we can only hope that NCL will respond. If not, I'll try to work my way up the chain of command to get an answer.

Well, we can only hope that NCL will respond. If not, I'll try to work my way up the chain of command to get an answer.

As to the question of whether the item comes from a specialty restaurant; that's my attempt to throw a bone out to justify 18% when really, in my opinion, it should not be. I also believe this to be true on Royal Caribbean as well.

The staff physically serving the end product is still the MDR staff. Part of the service charge in specialty restaurant goes for having a wait staff that is less rushed/harried/not serving as many tables, and thus can provide higher levels of service to the guests they do have. I don't think it is right to charge a service surcharge on food served in the MDR because not only is that staff compensated by the DSC, but they just aren't set up or have the resources to provide the higher levels of service found at specialty restaurants for which that additional service surcharge goes.

That's my opinion on it. I'm not moaning, whining, complaining, having a tantrum, or anything of the sort. Just explaining the thought process that shapes my opinion.

As to the question of whether the item comes from a specialty restaurant; that's my attempt to throw a bone out to justify 18% when really, in my opinion, it should not be. I also believe this to be true on Royal Caribbean as well.

The staff physically serving the end product is still the MDR staff. Part of the service charge in specialty restaurant goes for having a wait staff that is less rushed/harried/not serving as many tables, and thus can provide higher levels of service to the guests they do have. I don't think it is right to charge a service surcharge on food served in the MDR because not only is that staff compensated by the DSC, but they just aren't set up or have the resources to provide the higher levels of service found at specialty restaurants for which that additional service surcharge goes.

That's my opinion on it. I'm not moaning, whining, complaining, having a tantrum, or anything of the sort. Just explaining the thought process that shapes my opinion.

I don't think it would be right to add a service charge, if the servers in questions are also getting it from the DSC, but we don't know if that is true or not at this point in time.

Not in anyway thinking that you are complaining, etc., IMHO, you are just having a civil discussion about an issue...something that is very refreshing here.

I can't read this entire thread as it takes too long to load the pages on the ship. I just want to say that I've spoken to several people who have ordered the a la carte items in the main dining room, and they seemed thrilled to have the option. For me, I've been very impressed with the dinner choices and felt no need to order anything for pay. We do have 4 day SDP on this cruise, and since we are on our 5th night, we probably should start using those. Haha

I can't read this entire thread as it takes too long to load the pages on the ship. I just want to say that I've spoken to several people who have ordered the a la carte items in the main dining room, and they seemed thrilled to have the option. For me, I've been very impressed with the dinner choices and felt no need to order anything for pay. We do have 4 day SDP on this cruise, and since we are on our 5th night, we probably should start using those. Haha

Oh wow - you better use those up! [emoji13] Good to know, that the MDR dining is even more better (well, on Escape anyway, I'll find out at the end of this month if Breakaway improve too[emoji3] ). And not surprised that those 3 items seem to have takers that like it.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I think if folks look at from another side, they will understand. Poster have been yelling for better food and wanting lobster back again, saying they would pay more for both and NCL gave them exactly what they wanted. They can have their lobster or better food, but it is that they are paying for it, instead of everyone paying for it.

Do you plan on going to La Cucina? I'm really interested in the veal milanese. It is my favorite dish and I was wondering how thick the veal is, as usually all the veal milanese I've had is pounded and not real think.

I think if folks look at from another side, they will understand. Poster have been yelling for better food and wanting lobster back again, saying they would pay more for both and NCL gave them exactly what they wanted. They can have their lobster or better food, but it is that they are paying for it, instead of everyone paying for it.

I understand this argument, but the functional outcome is STILL 'take away the good stuff and make people pay extra to get it back'.

I'll be curious to hear if free prime rib nights at O'Sheehan (and indeed the MDRs) disappear when the a la carte prime rib is rolled out.

Do you plan on going to La Cucina? I'm really interested in the veal milanese. It is my favorite dish and I was wondering how thick the veal is, as usually all the veal milanese I've had is pounded and not real think.

Exactly

Oh wow - you better use those up! [emoji13] Good to know, that the MDR dining is even more better (well, on Escape anyway, I'll find out at the end of this month if Breakaway improve too[emoji3] ). And not surprised that those 3 items seem to have takers that like it.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

It is good to hear that the quality in the MDR is on the upswing.

I understand this argument, but the functional outcome is STILL 'take away the good stuff and make people pay extra to get it back'.

I'll be curious to hear if free prime rib nights at O'Sheehan (and indeed the MDRs) disappear when the a la carte prime rib is rolled out.

Um, I don't recall them offering whole lobster of any size before or prime rib of 16 oz. When I've had the prime rib it was in the 6oz range and the lobster tail that was served was around 3-4oz. I doubt that I would order the surcharge items but only because I want to try the other things on the menu that don't cost anything. As I said earlier as long as the number of complimentary items on the menu remain the same it works for me.

I have personally seen people whine and complain about the lobster being gone, I have also seen people say if they bring the lobster back they will gladly pay for it. So don't be upset you got your wish

That's not my wish.

Um, I don't recall them offering whole lobster of any size before or prime rib of 16 oz. When I've had the prime rib it was in the 6oz range and the lobster tail that was served was around 3-4oz. I doubt that I would order the surcharge items but only because I want to try the other things on the menu that don't cost anything. As I said earlier as long as the number of complimentary items on the menu remain the same it works for me.

Not just the number, but quality should remain constant, or hopefully even improve. Perhaps no full lobster or queen cut of prime rib, but variations of each used to be included in your cruise fare as you noted, to be fair. It would be nice if those examples were still included, AND larger scale pay options available for those who want them available all evenings.

Is there actually something wrong with me saying I'd like what was included to still be included with my cruise fare? Why is this such a contentious viewpoint to have? It seems very reasonable to me. Offer bigger options all the time for those that want it, but don't take away the included variety that may have only been available 1 or 2 nights of the cruise. That's a win-win.

And I am still against a separate service charge in the MDR since the service is what it is, and can not realistically approach the better services offered in specialty dining.

I don't think this is an extreme or radical viewpoint to have.

Not just the number, but quality should remain constant, or hopefully even improve. Perhaps no full lobster or queen cut of prime rib, but variations of each used to be included in your cruise fare as you noted, to be fair. It would be nice if those examples were still included, AND larger scale pay options available for those who want them available all evenings.

Is there actually something wrong with me saying I'd like what was included to still be included with my cruise fare? Why is this such a contentious viewpoint to have? It seems very reasonable to me. Offer bigger options all the time for those that want it, but don't take away the included variety that may have only been available 1 or 2 nights of the cruise. That's a win-win.

And I am still against a separate service charge in the MDR since the service is what it is, and can not realistically approach the better services offered in specialty dining.

I don't think this is an extreme or radical viewpoint to have.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you voicing your opinion. Unfortunately NCL has chosen not to go with your idea and have instead opted to offer other things. Personally it's not going to affect my cruise in the least if a certain food item isn't available (and from what LrgPizza says the quaility is getting better, so at least that's a plus), as long as acceptable choices are available.