Fantasy 10-11-15 Review: HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

waywyrd

Our driver offered to take us anywhere else we wanted to go, but honestly, we were getting worn out. For some reason the heat was getting to me that day (some southerner I am!). So back to port we went, where I wanted to take a few last pictures of the pool area and grab some late lunch. Got to the pool, everyone seemed to be having a blast...it was full. Watched a few zipliners, pulled out my camera, and...it wouldn't even turn on. I had a few choice words to say about Duracell batteries as we trudged back to the ship.

I did have one last set in the room, and took a couple more pics from the ship. Sorry I didn't get the pool area.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

One I forgot to post earlier...the landscaping is very nice. There are a couple waterfalls and bridges that make nice photo backgrounds.

IMG_1385.jpg

Thank you so much for doing this review! I'm very much enjoying the pictures of Amber Cove!!

You're very welcome! I just wish I had more pictures. :(

This is how everything is laid out...hopefully it's readable:

layout2.jpg

You're very welcome! I just wish I had more pictures. :(

This is how everything is laid out...hopefully it's readable:

Sounds like you had a good day! Would you book a cruise specifically to visit Amber Cove? We will be there May 2016.

Thanks for posting your review!

Sounds like you had a good day! Would you book a cruise specifically to visit Amber Cove? We will be there May 2016.

Thanks for posting your review!

I'd definitely go there again. Maybe check out Ocean World or a beach the next time...? The only reason I didn't seek out a beach at Amber Cove was because the two previous stops were beach days for us.

But yes, I'd be glad to go back. By then they should have all the shops open, too. :)

Waywyrd, which setting did you use to upload your pics? I was also on that cruise. I uploaded my pics on a post using the "best" setting. My pics appear grainy and look horrible. I requested the thread be deleted by the administrator the pics were so bad!! Your pics look great and yes, we would go back to Amber Cove. We are booked on the Valor in Feb!!

Waywyrd, which setting did you use to upload your pics? I was also on that cruise. I uploaded my pics on a post using the "best" setting. My pics appear grainy and look horrible. I requested the thread be deleted by the administrator the pics were so bad!! Your pics look great and yes, we would go back to Amber Cove. We are booked on the Valor in Feb!!
No idea. I just dumped them from the camera to Photobucket and linked them here...not much help, I know. :rolleyes: I did take all the pictures in "large" setting (3648 x 2736). Either this site or Photobucket automatically resizes them all to 800 x 600, maybe that helps with the sharpness?

I wish I was going in February, I have to wait til May. I'm jealous!

Thanks for the review! That's a great itinerary. I love GT and HMC. Amber cove looks good too. They are great ports if you want to just hang out and not spend money or explore.

You're welcome! GT and HMC are two ports I never get tired of.

I also want to say thanks for posting pics and your thoughts on Amber Cove. Much appreciated.

No problem. Next time I'm definitely taking better batteries, lol.

I am enjoying your review very much. I was just in Grand Turk and Amber Cove on the Victory. Your photos are excellent, and you certainly saw lots more in Amber Cove than I did. In my review, I explain why I did not get to see or do much. But you sure did. I wish I could have gotten out aways towards Puerto Plata, but your photos give me food for thought, if I should ever get back there again in better physical condition.:)

Nice review, thanks!

We will be on the Ecstasy doing her first trip out of Charleston. She will be doing the same trip but starting at AC. Looking forward to it and now I have some pics to the wife.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise! We're on the Ecstasy in May to Bermuda. Can't wait. :D

Really enjoying your review and thanks for Amber cove pics. Regretfully it confirms that we do not want to go there, and if end up on ship that does, will likely just walk around a little and get back on ship.

Aw, I hope my review didn't cause that! :eek:

I think the lack of a beach close to port might turn a few people off of Amber Cove....personally I don't like having to pay for an excursion to visit a beach.

Aw, I hope my review didn't cause that! :eek:

I think the lack of a beach close to port might turn a few people off of Amber Cove....personally I don't like having to pay for an excursion to visit a beach.

I think you are correct. The lack of a beach (and the cost factor of getting to one) makes this port a little dicey for some. My DH says he wants to go somewhere beachy in AC but I don't want to spend $60 per person (Lifestyle excursion) and have my relaxation interrupted by timeshare people. The pool area looks very pretty. Was there a mad dash for the lounge chairs? At least there is a pool option unlike La Romana where we had nothing to walk to. We took an excursion to a beach, which was over 45 minutes away. Nice beach but not Grand Turk. Thanks for any insight to Amber Cove!

No beach close by would only bother me if other ports were the same. Our itinerary next year includes two ports that require some travel time for a beach- Amber Cove an San Juan. We will choose non beach activities for both days. I like to mix it up in the ports anyway. I don't want to go to the beach at every stop. Everyone is different.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I think you are correct. The lack of a beach (and the cost factor of getting to one) makes this port a little dicey for some. My DH says he wants to go somewhere beachy in AC but I don't want to spend $60 per person (Lifestyle excursion) and have my relaxation interrupted by timeshare people. The pool area looks very pretty. Was there a mad dash for the lounge chairs? At least there is a pool option unlike La Romana where we had nothing to walk to. We took an excursion to a beach, which was over 45 minutes away. Nice beach but not Grand Turk. Thanks for any insight to Amber Cove!

When we walked through about 1-ish in the afternoon, there were still lounge chairs to be had. BUT, we were on the Fantasy, which doesn't carry near as many passengers as some of the big ships. If one or two of the big boys ported there at the same time, chairs would be hard to come by, I think.

I did see a tiny little beach off to the left as we docked, but honestly, it didn't look worth checking out. Plus there was a hotel/resort there. Even in the afternoon I didn't notice a lot of people there...not really a great looking beach, to be honest. We had just come from Half Moon and Grand Turk, so that beach paled in comparison.

When we walked through about 1-ish in the afternoon, there were still lounge chairs to be had. BUT, we were on the Fantasy, which doesn't carry near as many passengers as some of the big ships. If one or two of the big boys ported there at the same time, chairs would be hard to come by, I think.

I did see a tiny little beach off to the left as we docked, but honestly, it didn't look worth checking out. Plus there was a hotel/resort there. Even in the afternoon I didn't notice a lot of people there...not really a great looking beach, to be honest. We had just come from Half Moon and Grand Turk, so that beach paled in comparison.

Good to know. Thanks waywyrd!

Yes it looked small in the pics, we do AC first then GT/HMC so for some the beach might do as the first stop. We live very close to the beach so for us it's not a must, the cruise and other attractions are it.

Random pics around the shopping area. I'd say no more than half of the stores were open when we were there, but the pool, waterslide, zipline and the restaurant by the pool were going full blast.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Well crap., thanks for this review. I had to go book an ocean cabana. Probably shouldn't have read this, huh?