To park or to Taxi- Breakaway

kgtgirl

So I'm looking at parking prices at the terminal and was almost blown away as we would probably have 2-3 cars so we were looking at taking a train to Grand Central and taking a cab. My only concern is how hard is it to get a Cab once the cruise gets back, will we be standing outside waiting hours to get a cab or is it relatively easy. Has anyone had any difficulty??

So I'm looking at parking prices at the terminal and was almost blown away as we would probably have 2-3 cars so we were looking at taking a train to Grand Central and taking a cab. My only concern is how hard is it to get a Cab once the cruise gets back, will we be standing outside waiting hours to get a cab or is it relatively easy. Has anyone had any difficulty??

You cross the street as you leave the terminal. There are always a long line of cabs ready to pick up passengers. We have never had any problems (other than needing to move your bags through the terminal and out to the street).

Disembarking the BA last Sept was nearly two hour wait for cab on 12th Ave and we had priority after the walk-offs (most weren't as people of all tag colors were already there grabbing luggage). Many were just walking to Grand Central and some down 12th to other cab stands. We grabbed a porter, he got us past the long customs lines and took us up the freight elevator to the arrivals deck where cabs were waiting. Some people w/o porters knew this trick and weren't kicked off the elevator. Parking seemed excessively costly. Alternatively, if you have time just wait it out on the ship until they kick you off as the mess on 12th Ave clears after a couple hours, you won't see any hint of it remaining if/when you arrive for embarkation around 11am.

Sorry for hijacking thread, but how much do you tip the porter for 2 people 2 pc. of luggage to take you taxi area. Thanks in advance

I tip 1 to 2 dollars per bag. Getting on the porter does not due much however getting off they are a great help.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Sorry for hijacking thread, but how much do you tip the porter for 2 people 2 pc. of luggage to take you taxi area. Thanks in advance

The porters at disembark are expecting more than the ones at embark (who you may or may not give a couple of dollars to for taking you bags a few yards over to the chute. At disembark you are specifically asking them to help you find you bags and they take you through customs and up the freight elevator to their waiting cabs. I tipped $20 for two suitcases, anything less than ten seems low, there is a thread here somewhere covering that topic, but confusion persists about the difference between embark and disembark porters. As I stated using the porter to get on the elevator to the upper deck seemed optional.

I found a website that had a coupon for a significant parking discount to park at the pier and although its expensive I would never do it any other way. You literally walk off the boat and are heading out of NYC in a very short time frame! We do it this way every time.

I will hunt for the coupon site...

The porters at disembark are expecting more than the ones at embark (who you may or may not give a couple of dollars to for taking you bags a few yards over to the chute. At disembark you are specifically asking them to help you find you bags and they take you through customs and up the freight elevator to their waiting cabs. I tipped $20 for two suitcases, anything less than ten seems low, there is a thread here somewhere covering that topic, but confusion persists about the difference between embark and disembark porters. As I stated using the porter to get on the elevator to the upper deck seemed optional.

I should have been a little more explicit but yeas I know the emgbarkment scenerio but I'm not familiar witjh distance and hassle the porters have to go to to get you to cab area. So thanks.

Got a cab this past September after disembarking off the breakaway. Walked out the door, a cross the street, and immediately into a cab with no wait. The year before we did uber. Had no trouble finding us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are thinking of taking ferry from Weehawken then shuttle bus or cab to pier. Has anyone done this before ???

Yes. It was a nice day and we walked to and from the pier for the ferry. We each had one big rolling suitcase and a carry-on so it was manageable.

If you are taking Amtrak you will arrive at Penn Station, not Grand Central Terminal. There is a taxi line right in front of Penn Station and lots of cabs. Parking in New Haven might be a less expensive option, and from there you can take Metro North into the city for less than Amtrak (arrive at Grand Central) or you can take Amtrak from there as well (arrive Penn Station).

If you thought about taking Amtrak from Hartford, I wouldn't recommend that since they will bus you between Hartford and New Haven, and you would be better off just taking Peter Pan out of Hartford. There is track work going on until July 2016. Parking in Hartford is 15/day.

Edited by vince_g

Obviously if you're talking 2-3 cars that means you'll need 2-3 cabs to get to and from Grand Central. I understand how expensive parking is at the terminal (my sister and I just did it in August). You might research other parking garages around the pier. There are others that are a couple of blocks away that are definitely cheaper than the pier parking.

Ktgirl,

As a fellow Massachusetts resident, I can offer you a more cost effective option. No matter which way you go it's probably going to be a 5 hour ride for you.

I live in Central Mass. and have lots of experience with taking Amtrak out of Hartford. With you up in Lowell, it sounds like you are thinking of taking the train from Boston to NY. Just a word of warning that you most likely would be paying at least $250 round trip.

Hartford is a one hour drive for me, and parking is $15 a day at the train station. The cost I normally pay for a round trip on Amtrak is $66. It is normally wonderful, but they now bus you to New Haven where you take the train the rest of the way in. I had to do this the last time, and it was not too bad. The trip from Hartford will still take about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Your drive to Hartford would probably be about one hour and 40 minutes, but at least you can have a stretch break before getting on the bus. Once you get on the train in New Haven you will be much more comfortable.

Just throwing out the option. Good luck.

I found a website that had a coupon for a significant parking discount to park at the pier and although its expensive I would never do it any other way. You literally walk off the boat and are heading out of NYC in a very short time frame! We do it this way every time.

I will hunt for the coupon site...

Here is the coupon site (coupons expired 10/3/15), but keep checking:

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Hoping to get a coupon for our February cruise

Here is the coupon site (coupons expired 10/3/15), but keep checking:

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Hoping to get a coupon for our February cruise

The coupons have only been for cruises on the Gem. They've never had them for Breakaway cruises...and people who have tried to use them for the Breakaway have not been allowed to.

Ktgirl,

As a fellow Massachusetts resident, I can offer you a more cost effective option. No matter which way you go it's probably going to be a 5 hour ride for you.

I live in Central Mass. and have lots of experience with taking Amtrak out of Hartford. With you up in Lowell, it sounds like you are thinking of taking the train from Boston to NY. Just a word of warning that you most likely would be paying at least $250 round trip.

Hartford is a one hour drive for me, and parking is $15 a day at the train station. The cost I normally pay for a round trip on Amtrak is $66. It is normally wonderful, but they now bus you to New Haven where you take the train the rest of the way in. I had to do this the last time, and it was not too bad. The trip from Hartford will still take about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Your drive to Hartford would probably be about one hour and 40 minutes, but at least you can have a stretch break before getting on the bus. Once you get on the train in New Haven you will be much more comfortable.

Just throwing out the option. Good luck.

Yeah we're actually leaving from springfield so we were planning on parking at new haven that's what we usually do when we go to ny even when we come from boston I've yet to have a good experience on amtrak

Hello KGTGIRL

Have you considered parking across the Hudson river 500 Avenue at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ 07086 check their website http://nycparking.spplus.com/NJ-4800-Avenue-at-Port-Imperial-Parking.html#Tab_coupon-rates and you take the ferry (9.00 per person)across and they will drop you near 39th walking distance from the ship