Magical cure for ships cough

Victoria 82

Well those of who have been on a few cruises know that the chances of getting the dreaded ships cough are high, especially this time of year, exacerbated by the air condition operating throughout the ship. Worse time is when you go to bed and the punter is blowing out 'processed air' often directly above your bed. We know we can't switch the a/c off and they don't like us to keep our balcony door open, difficult if you are in an inside or porthole (I know, picture window). So what is the answer.

Well on our last few cruises, prior to going to bed we have put a light smear of Vaseline in the lining of our nose. Not great gobs, just a good smear and the results have been that we have not had any trace of the dry throat which is often the precursor to the ships cough. I understand this is also good for air travel, which we don't.

Fair to say another way is to avoid those fellow passengers who think nothing of having a good sneeze or cough into their hands as they make their way to the buffet area. And, when there, using their fingers, try a few chips which look so inviting.

If you have any other tips please let us know.

Vicky

114 P&O cruises and 10 in the pipeline. Don't you just love it.

Try and get out in the fresh air as often as possible.

I am amazed at the number of people I see sat somewhere inside and they are in the exact same position when I pass hours later.

There is usually some little nook out of the wind, and sea air is much better for you than aircon.

Others have posted about dampening a flannel down and leaving it in the cabin to dry overnight. The moisture replaces what the aircon takes out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Try and get out in the fresh air as often as possible.

I am amazed at the number of people I see sat somewhere inside and they are in the exact same position when I pass hours later.

There is usually some little nook out of the wind, and sea air is much better for you than aircon.

Others have posted about dampening a flannel down and leaving it in the cabin to dry overnight. The moisture replaces what the aircon takes out.

Agree, some people never seem to get out into the fresh air at all.

I have the aircon on the lowest possible all cruise and prop the door open at night (I know you're not supposed to) having said that we rarely seen to cruise in warm climates. I don't get the cough but do suffer from catching colds from infected passengers [emoji24]

I always used to end up with a cough after cruising but have now had at least six cruises in a row with no cough at all.

My 'cure' is to spray a saline solution up my nose before going to bed (Amazon or Supadrug sell nasal saline sprays), vaseline around the nostril area and to keep the air conditioning exactly mid way between the red and the blue areas.

Apparently the vaseline is good for hayfever sufferers as well! :)

• Like 1

Thanks you for these tips. We're cruising in Feb on Oceana which probably has the worst air-con of any ship and my OH has underlying health conditions which mean he picks up chest bugs very easily. I'll definitely be trying the saline spray and always have Vaseline with me for my lips anyway.

The access to the outside space and fresh air is one of the main reasons we have a Balcony cabin. Especially in the time between afternoon activities and going to dinner we enjoy getting out reading having coffee etc and breathing in all that lovely sea air!

Edited by tartanexile81

• 3 years later...

Although ‘bugs’ are definitely a cruise ship problem, particularly in the winter, and air conditioning affects some people, I think a lot of ‘cruise cough’ is actually acid reflux from simply having a grand time, eating too much, possibly eating too late, and possibly drinking too much as well (as if!). Reflux doesn’t necessarily lead to classic indigestion or heartburn symptoms 

Have a read of this and see ‘if the cap fits’.  If so, I’d suggest Gaviscon Advance chewable tablets or Nexium.

Happy cruising

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/slt/Acid-reflux.pdf

• Like 1

We are also susceptible to the dreaded cough. Having spent the equivalent of more than 5 years cruising on 149 cruises with P&O I'm still not sure of the complete answer. However, a light smear of vaseline is a real help, balcony door open at night another. A wet towel around the air con vent certainly helps as is hanging wet towels on a wire coat hanger .. ask the steward to provide extra towels. Always carry a handkerchief or tissues so that if you are caught with a cougher or sneezer in the lift get it straight to your nose/mouth regardless of the looks you might get. Wash hands regularly is a big one, take some hygiene wipes to clean your door handle and other items that your steward or butler might handle i.e. the tv handset. Off up the Amazon and Central America on Thursday so keeping our fingers crossed we don't get it.

Bal

• Like 1

On 11/8/2015 at 8:50 PM, Florry said:

I have the aircon on the lowest possible all cruise and prop the door open at night (I know you're not supposed to) having said that we rarely seen to cruise in warm climates. I don't get the cough but do suffer from catching colds from infected passengers emoji24.png

Florry, lovely to see your cheery icon on here again.

We also let as much fresh air as possible in to get rid of the air conditioned stuff.

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I guess some people are just more prone.  I have never had a cough in all the time I have been cruising which is quite a few years.

You worked on planes for years Jean so you have probably developed better immunity than most.

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Florry, lovely to see your cheery icon on here again.

We also let as much fresh air as possible in to get rid of the air conditioned stuff.

When the balcony door is open, it doesn't let in fresh air, it just increases the flow of the air condtioning.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that will be a placebo effect since the cabin air pressure is higher than the outside pressure with air con working.

Well we live and learn. It still feels fresher, so vive la placebo.

Edited by Eglesbrech

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

You worked on planes for years Jean so you have probably developed better immunity than most.

You may well be right!  I don't suffer with viruses very often at all.  As for leaving the balcony door open, I thought that was a no no?

• Like 1