Three times in one cruise - surely not

uktog

I don't believe the responsibility should be placed on guests to turn down the invite . This is the responsibility of the invitor ;) not the invitee .

I would accept this honor as it would be an amusing story to tell but it would mean nothing more to me . It does however mean something to others and it would be nice if it was dispersed to a wider group . The criteria for selection shouldn't be so heavily weighted based on suite selection .

I said in a previous post that I think I am pretty sure I know who the couple are and their modus operandii. I also said that to me it reflects badly on Celebrity for letting it happen that they go to eat at the Captain's Table three times on one cruise. It's better to spread the joy. Thankfully it is an isolated case, although I do remember a few years ago a poster here who openly bragged about his invites and posted pictures of him and his wife sitting at every Captain's Table on a cruise. He used to stay in the big suites and tip very heavily. Guess to some it is very important. To me I'd rather be invited because I'm a great guy, not because I told them I was.;)

Phil

Being a novice cruiser, only my third coming up in January, what is so special about being invited and eating at the Captain's table?

Last cruise I went on there was a group of ten of us who traveled together and ate together at a large round table for 10. I rather enjoyed their company. Much more than being in a bunch of strangers at the Captain's table, where the Captain may or may not have been present.

I said in a previous post that I think I am pretty sure I know who the couple are and their modus operandii. I also said that to me it reflects badly on Celebrity for letting it happen that they go to eat at the Captain's Table three times on one cruise. It's better to spread the joy. Thankfully it is an isolated case, although I do remember a few years ago a poster here who openly bragged about his invites and posted pictures of him and his wife sitting at every Captain's Table on a cruise. He used to stay in the big suites and tip very heavily. Guess to some it is very important. To me I'd rather be invited because I'm a great guy, not because I told them I was.;)

Phil

We've never been invited but I'm still clinging to a slim thread of hope when we have a Celebrity suite on a 15 nighter. However with the new dress code the photo sure will not be as elegant with some people in their dress jeans and sundress and others in a tux and formal. :eek: I'm happy for those that got to have this experience the way that it was intended - for the rest of us - it has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

We have been invited and gone a few times. not recently though. It is okay, IMHO. Talking to many of the staff is difficult due to language. DW sat next to Senior Engineer one evening and I could not hear or understand him being one person removed.

Also, not as easy to ask for extra lobster and other things beyond the second helping. :) Wine was nice though

Hope you get an invite on your next cruise. It does help to seek out concierge staff or whoever is assigning guests and let them know your desire.

We had repeat cruisers/captains table attendees and newbies on all our seatings including us as newbies on first time.

Being a novice cruiser, only my third coming up in January, what is so special about being invited and eating at the Captain's table?

Last cruise I went on there was a group of ten of us who traveled together and ate together at a large round table for 10. I rather enjoyed their company. Much more than being in a bunch of strangers at the Captain's table, where the Captain may or may not have been present.

Our view was that it was a treat on formal night to eat at Captain's table. Reality is that you meet early, get a cocktail and then eat with other people you just met and with one of the senior staff officers.

Our first time was fun as it was new. Side note is our regular table was next to Captain's table and we felt a little bad as we did think we had abandoned our table mates/traveling friends. Next evening it was 'ribbing' time and we took it in fun.

Second time we were sailing alone and met couple previously sailed with and they actually spoke to concierge to have us join them at Captain's table. They had already been invited and we ran into them before muster on first day. I was surprised, but think they, the couple, wanted to eat at Captain's table and pursued the issue as soon as they were on board.

Third time, we were invited and initially declined indicating we did not want to abandon our traveling friends and she said, they would be invited too.

Edited by shipshape sam

For whatever reason, they were invited. And if they were to turn it down, how can you know the ones who really wanted the invite would get the invitation?

We have been twice and enjoyed it. While there is plenty of evidence of this thread you do not have to be staying in an upper suite, it sure seemed that was how the invites were given out on our cruise. Maybe if someone declines they find others who they expect to be on best behavior at the table. We filled in for a no show one evening.

I am more than curious how our B2B should be handled. First cruise is last of formal nights and the second one is not and both are in upper suites. So maybe we will be on the last cruise with a Captains Table if they now have separate tables for the second cruise.

We were invited to dine at Captain's Table on our last cruise. We did not have a suite and neither did the other three couples. Didn't have anything to do with Captain's Club status either. Two couples were Select, one couple had not been on a Celebrity cruise before and we were Elite. None of us knew why/how we were invited. We asked how the attendees are selected but got no clear answer. It was nice to mingle with some of the officers just to ask about their jobs and other small talk.

No big deal. If we were to be invited again we would respectfully decline and let someone else enjoy it.

We were invited to dine at Captain's Table on our last cruise. We did not have a suite and neither did the other three couples. Didn't have anything to do with Captain's Club status either. Two couples were Select, one couple had not been on a Celebrity cruise before and we were Elite. None of us knew why/how we were invited. We asked how the attendees are selected but got no clear answer. It was nice to mingle with some of the officers just to ask about their jobs and other small talk.

No big deal. If we were to be invited again we would respectfully decline and let someone else enjoy it.

We would, I think, decline too. I think it was more fun the first time and special. I do like the fact that Celebrity does it though. Just hope it is spread around.

You never really know what the reasoning is for being invited to the Captain's table. I am going to tell you a true story: when I was younger I was invited to the Captain's table for dinner. The very handsome, Italian Captain seated himself right next to me and was very attentive that evening and for the entire cruise while I was on board. No, it was not Costa LOL!

When speaking with the Dr. on board the ship, he confided that the Captain asked him to find the most beautiful woman on board to sit at his table that evening.

Now, many years and many cruises later, I avoid the invites ;-)

Have met close friends that we now go on cruises with at the Captain's Table. Have also also made friends who we see regularly on the Captains Table (They were PH couples and we are very much their poor friends :eek:), but do have a nice story...

We had got to know a bar server on a previous cruise, who we befriended. It just so happened that she was serving at the Captain's Table. We spent the evening telling the Captain how wonderful she was, and this turned into gentle ribbing, which the other guests joined in with. We even embarrassed her when we found out she had brought her camera. The captain was up for the fun as well and he posed with her in the usual couple poses ala the photography staff photos.

She emailed us the following week to say she had been promoted and thanked us. I am sure it had nothing to do with us, she really did deserve it.