Three times in one cruise - surely not

uktog

Glad someone finally made some noise at the captains table! We are offered to sit there ever cruise because we book larger suites and we decline time and time again. We socialize throughout our life.....why do it on vacation?

For those who missed it, it really is no big deal.....and you get a photo...which we always throw out.....ultimately some tables work but lots do not......not worth it.

We bring our fun with us, we travel with fun people, last thing we need to do is take the chance of ruining our night by sitting with a group of old farts lamenting that Celebrity is charging for everything these days blah blah blah. Hello....it's a business....of course they are.....Change is hard for some.

Also keep in mind that some people are just plain difficult and yet will get the invitation because of being in a PH or Royal etc. The officer hosting the table already knows who he has, and who is thought to be lovely and who is thought to be a Pain in the £$%.....Often more boisterous and enjoyable peoples are invited to help "break the ice" at a table where there are some notorious complainers. From someone who goes to lots of affairs, let me say that proper table seating is an often overlooked art.

Safe sails to all!

sad that you have had that experience, only done one celebrity cruise and (oops) one captains table. We had excellent company, the other officer at the table was the more interesting but it really was our table mates that made the night.

Which has also been our experience on other cruises.

Once they say no, then they begin to try and find alternatives to attend.

On one of my sailing's when I attended, they even had very last minute cancellations, and the CC host just asked a random couple at Martini Bar if they would be able to join in, they were quite surprised.

I can top that!

On the second leg of our back-to-back we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table with the second officer on the only formal night. To cut a long story short, the host and the top cruisers were held up at an event that over-run. The other Captain's Table guest took offence and walked off - it was VERY late. We assuming that the table would be cancelled but, believing that one discourtesy should not be met with another, decided that we would wait until the Captain's Club Hostess turned up, explain what had happened and find somewhere else for dinner.

When she did arrive, the Hostess begged us to remain and we agreed. On the way to the Captain's Table, she invited four random guests who had already finished their first course. We actually had a wonderful evening and returned to our suite to find a "thank you" gift from the Captain's Club Hostess.

We have found every one of our Captain's Tables to be memorable for different reasons [not all good!] but they have all been fun in one way or another [at least in retrospect].

We were invited by the CC hostess to dine ----We quickly accepted the invitation to dine at Captain Kate's 1st Captains table as Master of Infinity. We are Elite + & were sailing in a CS. This was our 3rd time to dine at the Captains Table, but the 1st with the Captain.

I thought Captain Kate was Master of Summit- had she switched ships?

See post 3835 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=862734&page=192

BTW

We were invited to the Captain's table on our Eclipse 2013 Caribbean cruise. I had 'been noticed' by the Guest Relations Manager, as I had asked for a kettle in our room. We had sailed Eclipse in 2010 when we had had one. He rang to explain that it's only when Eclipse sails from Southampton that they are placed in the rooms. He was from UK himself, so we concluded that was why we were invited to the table, but he hosted the event, not the Captain.

Edited by upwarduk

We were invited but graciously declined to have dinner at the Captain's table.

We enjoy the intimacy of dining for two and that is our priority. This was very recent and we are on a B2B right now and thoroughly enjoying our cruise on Solstice.

If my wife and I we were ever invited I think I'd decline too. On the other hand if I was ever invited to dine with the crew in their mess I think I'd jump at it. That would be much more interesting (but that sort of fraternisation is frowned upon, I'm sure).

From my experience the RS and PH guests tend to always get an invite, especially depending on the number of formal nights and offerings.

So you're implying it's a bought 'privilege'? And I thought that just happened in business....wait, isn't X a business :rolleyes:?

With the introduction of Luminae, will this mean that there will be no need for a captain's table in the MDR on the new Edge class ships? Perhaps they will install one in Luminae and have a raffle for non formal nights to decide which lucky pax gets to head the room? Or even perhaps X could introduce a charge for the use of the table, to celebrate that extra special occasion: anniversary, birthday, honeymoon etc. :eek:.

If my wife and I we were ever invited I think I'd decline too. On the other hand if I was ever invited to dine with the crew in their mess I think I'd jump at it. That would be much more interesting (but that sort of fraternisation is frowned upon, I'm sure).

Now you're talking. Personally, I'd much prefer to be invited to an event for my personality/wit/charm rather than 'paying' for the privilege (there have been a few instances in my life :D). I bet most would feel much more comfortable in the environment of the mess rather than having to watch their every spoken word. Wait for it....the, 'I'm just myself' posts to follow :D.

...I do think it is bad form for one couple to dominate the Captain's Table.

Some people obviously don't want to, that's fine. Their choice.

We have been invited a few times and we have enjoyed each. For many guests it may be a once in a lifetime experience or the icing on the cake of a special celebration.

The more people who have the opportunity the better!

If I was ever invited a second time I hope I would be selfless enough to say 'no'. It must be difficult for the Captain and team if they are instructed to 'look after' a VIP guest. Glad we have never had an 'overpowering' party on any of our cruises, it would certainly change the atmosphere in Michael's!

In all honesty, I've never paid attention to who was eating that the Captain's Table. I'm on vacation and looking to have a relaxed time. If invited, I would respectfully decline the invitation. I'd much rather eat with "real" people. Sit me with some bartenders, cocktail servers, housekeeping staff or other employee and I'd have a much better time than with the officers.

Not if the officer was Captain Taramos on the Soltice. We laughed all the way through dinner. What a great host. He made everyone at the table welcome and comfortable. It was a wonderful evening.

It would all depend on the answer I got from the captain when I pose the question "Can I drive the ship?". Most likely awkward silence for the rest of the meal. I'll pass and enjoy the company of my companions. Like another poster said, "there's a captain's table? Never noticed", I agree.

DH and I have been invited a couple of times on both Rccl And Celebrity. My most memorable dinner was the evening I was seated next to the head of the accounting depart. on board. Since I worked in an accounting department for a large international non-profit we had an interesting conversation.

Another time while traveling with my four sisters all five of us were asked to dine with the captain. Also at the table was a large group of gentlemen on the ship to "check" it out for a company function. They were British and very gentlemanly. They all asked our opinions as to if we thought their wives and children would like the ship for their upcoming cruise!

That night was quite special. Talk about service! All I can say is wow!

I hope I never get invited to eat at the Captains table. I would much rather dine with people who I meet along the way. If I was invited I would accept just to be polite. That's how I was bred.

Edited by Iamcruzin

My friends are just back from a cruise on Reflection which they really enjoyed. They were telling us though that there were three formal nights and every time the same couple were at the Captains Table. She noticed them because they were quite loud and always hanging around officers in the day. They were not in the penthouse because she saw them go into another ordinary room

My friend had no desire to be at the table but thought it was wrong the cruise line was always asking the same people.

If it was me I could never accept three invites on one cruise, way too selfish. I was always taught in situations like that you show your proper breeding by declining the later invites.

Would be interested on Celebrity's view on whether there should be more sharing of this privilege or if there are situations where they allow the hat trick

I think I know of who you speak. Personally I feel it's pretty bad form to take up places at the Captain's Table excessively, but I guess for some the ego takes over. It's a shame to deprive others of the chance by "chair hogging" because it's nice experience if you get a good bunch of people at the table. Moreover I don't think it reflects particularly well on Celebrity for allowing it to happen. Just my two cents.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Now you're talking. Personally, I'd much prefer to be invited to an event for my personality/wit/charm rather than 'paying' for the privilege (there have been a few instances in my life :D). I bet most would feel much more comfortable in the environment of the mess rather than having to watch their every spoken word. Wait for it....the, 'I'm just myself' posts to follow :D.

I have to agree. Even in the movie Titanic I would rather be in steerage. They looked like they were having at lot more fun with very little than those in first class with the stick up their butts trying to impress each other.

The ship was going down and the folks in steerage were playing soccer with a block of ice. Good times...

So you're implying it's a bought 'privilege'? And I thought that just happened in business....wait, isn't X a business :rolleyes:?

With the introduction of Luminae, will this mean that there will be no need for a captain's table in the MDR on the new Edge class ships? Perhaps they will install one in Luminae and have a raffle for non formal nights to decide which lucky pax gets to head the room? Or even perhaps X could introduce a charge for the use of the table, to celebrate that extra special occasion: anniversary, birthday, honeymoon etc. :eek:.

I was in a suite, dining in Luminae, but was still invited to the Captain's Table. I don't see how Luminae has anything to do with the Captain's Table.

ON my TA, I didn't sit in Luminae a single time instead choosing to eat in MDR with other friends who were not in suites.

You could consider it a bought privilege, or a thank you to a profitable customer, however you care to look at it. But the fact that not everyone at that table is in a suite as evidenced y my post and other's posts, seems to lead one to the conclusion that it is not a bought privilege in all cases.

BLU is a bought privilege, Captain's Club Cocktail Hour is a bought privilege. A bathtub in one's cabin is a bought privilege. A window or glass door to a veranda is a bought privilege.

For special occasions there are tables in some of the specialty restaurants that can be arranged with notice, just ask the concierge or Maitre'd on board for details. Usually no extra cost even other than the normal overcharge.

But I realize, of course, you post was intended only to make that molehill just a little bit larger.

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you're the type of person who dislikes a formal dining experience, but every time we've gone, we've met some lovely people who had interesting stories. At the very least, the other guests at the table are generally very well travelled and I'm always looking for tips on where to go next.

I'm sure it's difficult for the senior officers to sit through a dinner answering the same old questions and not being able to partake of the wine (they serve some nice ones compared to the cheap plonk we usually buy :rolleyes:), but we always enjoy it and appreciate the invitations. Last time, we were lucky in that when we were invited, we declined saying we didn't want to leave our friends behind, and our friends were then invited as well and we all had a lovely evening.

Well, this news will change the dynamic:

Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-4/news/news.cfm?ID=6642

Now there will be not just one Captain's Table but several Three-Stripe Tables, so those people will have to be able to tri-locate to dominate the honors!

We socialize throughout our life.....why do it on vacation?

We bring our fun with us, we travel with fun people,

Safe sails to all!

Spot on! The only invitation I might like is with Cap'n Kate, but otherwise, yeah, my preferred tablemates are the folks what brung me. ;)

We were invited by the CC hostess to dine with the Chief Engineer when we checked in for our Canada/New England cruise & we accepted. Later that night we had a message from her asking if we would like to switch to dinner with the Captain instead because it was too late for the couple originally invited and they declined. We quickly accepted the invitation to dine at Captain Kate's 1st Captains table as Master of Infinity. We are Elite + & were sailing in a CS. This was our 3rd time to dine at the Captains Table, but the 1st with the Captain.

I'm not sure how she hosted a table on Infinity. She is the Captain of the Summit;)

I'm sure it's difficult for the senior officers to sit through a dinner answering the same old questions and not being able to partake of the wine (they serve some nice ones compared to the cheap plonk we usually buy :rolleyes:), .

Once on a HA cruise we sat with the captain and 2 or 3 of his officers. They looked so miserable and so was I. Worse, the meal was excellent and had DW and I been dining alone, I surely would have asked for seconds. I felt sorry for them. It's an anachronism which can be abolished at any time, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you're the type of person who dislikes a formal dining experience,

Well, it was obviously their cup of tea because they dined at the Captain's table every formal night of one cruise which seems somewhat excessive to me (and the point the OP was making rather than how lovely or not it is to dine there).

Phil

Well, it was obviously their cup of tea because they dined at the Captain's table every formal night of one cruise which seems somewhat excessive to me (and the point the OP was making rather than how lovely or not it is to dine there).

Phil

Maybe they were relatives:D