Three times in one cruise - surely not

uktog

My friends are just back from a cruise on Reflection which they really enjoyed. They were telling us though that there were three formal nights and every time the same couple were at the Captains Table. She noticed them because they were quite loud and always hanging around officers in the day. They were not in the penthouse because she saw them go into another ordinary room

My friend had no desire to be at the table but thought it was wrong the cruise line was always asking the same people.

If it was me I could never accept three invites on one cruise, way too selfish. I was always taught in situations like that you show your proper breeding by declining the later invites.

Would be interested on Celebrity's view on whether there should be more sharing of this privilege or if there are situations where they allow the hat trick

Just in stark contrast to the events above, we have been on nearly fifty cruises and have never one single time had an invitation to the Captain's table! In all fairness, we tend to choose the largest classes of ships, a fact which greatly increases the odds of not being invited.

I used to wish we could receive a coveted invitation, but have since lost interest. Our cruises have been very enjoyable and the Captain's table, while an honor, is not essential to the fun we are having aboard.

Saw this once before, probably big stockbrokers or other VIPs. You may remember a few years back complaints on one of the ships about a group with kids in one of the high end suites. Kids were obnoxious and could do no wrong. Turns out they were big stockholders and crew couldn't do a thing.

We haven't cruised very much compared to some (have only six Celebrity cruises to our history and two more booked) but on our Solstice to Alaska in September we actually got an invite to dine at the Captain's table...the one time we don't bring formal wear!!!!!!! They offered to outfit DH in a tux but I didn't have anything fancy to wear so we declined :eek:...guess we'll never see another invite again after that right? Oh well, we still had a fabulous cruise!!

From my experience the RS and PH guests tend to always get an invite, especially depending on the number of formal nights and offerings.

Once they say no, then they begin to try and find alternatives to attend.

On one of my sailing's when I attended, they even had very last minute cancellations, and the CC host just asked a random couple at Martini Bar if they would be able to join in, they were quite surprised.

And of course VIP's may always be invited, or sometimes there may be cruisers who are well known to almost live on a ship that may go every time.

The reality is, it's high-end suites, then VIP guests, then they go to the masses to fill it in.

Also do note that the captain's table is often only hosted for 1 dinner by the captain. The other nights and dinners, it's usually some other officer, I've been with Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, and even head of housekeeping, as well as with the Captain. I generally turn it down nowadays unless I'm with guests who want to go. I've found the Michaels Club host has been asking directly upon embarkation if I'd like to attend.

Yes, we've been several times, but if I had already been on that cruise and been asked again, I would decline suggesting they find someone for whom it will be that once in a lifetime moment. And personally I think the cruiseline should have a rule if it's someone's friend, or a group of people's friends, once is enough.

I got the impression quite a few people onboard were talking about it negatively which I'm sure Celebrity doesn't want.

We were invited by the CC hostess to dine with the Chief Engineer when we checked in for our Canada/New England cruise & we accepted. Later that night we had a message from her asking if we would like to switch to dinner with the Captain instead because it was too late for the couple originally invited and they declined. We quickly accepted the invitation to dine at Captain Kate's 1st Captains table as Master of Infinity. We are Elite + & were sailing in a CS. This was our 3rd time to dine at the Captains Table, but the 1st with the Captain.

My friends are just back from a cruise on Reflection which they really enjoyed. They were telling us though that there were three formal nights and every time the same couple were at the Captains Table. She noticed them because they were quite loud and always hanging around officers in the day. They were not in the penthouse because she saw them go into another ordinary room

My friend had no desire to be at the table but thought it was wrong the cruise line was always asking the same people.

If it was me I could never accept three invites on one cruise, way too selfish. I was always taught in situations like that you show your proper breeding by declining the later invites.

Would be interested on Celebrity's view on whether there should be more shareing of this privilege or if there are situations where they allow the hat trick

For goodness sake who cares who eats with the staff 😜

Yes, we've been several times, but if I had already been on that cruise and been asked again, I would decline suggesting they find someone for whom it will be that once in a lifetime moment. And personally I think the cruiseline should have a rule if it's someone's friend, or a group of people's friends, once is enough.

I got the impression quite a few people onboard were talking about it negatively which I'm sure Celebrity doesn't want.

And why would anyone want to dine with a bunch of cackling hens worried about other people's business. :confused:

In all honesty, I've never paid attention to who was eating that the Captain's Table. I'm on vacation and looking to have a relaxed time. If invited, I would respectfully decline the invitation. I'd much rather eat with "real" people. Sit me with some bartenders, cocktail servers, housekeeping staff or other employee and I'd have a much better time than with the officers.

There's a Captain's Table ? That's how much notice I took, too busy enjoying myself and my companion's company :D

Obviously not being a VIP and not loyal to one cruise line, I seriously doubt if I'll ever get an invite. Mind you the service would be really good for that table :D

I guess we all have things that are important to us. I have also been

invited several times over the years but it makes no difference to me

who gets invited or how many times. If you are unhappy with their

"Capt's Table Invitees", my best suggestion is to contact Celebrity and

voice your disapproval to them.

Edited by Lois R

It would be lovely to be able to dine with the Officers and/ or the Captain, and It would be an honor. I imagine it can be difficult for them to be "on" even at dinner, and to dine with strangers with whom they may or may not be compatible! I hope that they found the "loud" couple enjoyable rather than annoying!

FWIW on a Princess cruise in 1997 DW and I were invited to the Captain's table on the first night. After a very enjoyable night (captain was an very affable Italian), we thanked him for his hospitality and started to leave. His head waiter rushed up and informed us that we would be dining at the table every night of the cruise. Sure 'nuff, we did along with two other couples.

We've eaten at the Captain's table two or three times with X, but the table is so large, we don't think we'd enjoy it, were we to be invited again. It really isn't that big a deal, believe me.

We haven't cruised very much compared to some (have only six Celebrity cruises to our history and two more booked) but on our Solstice to Alaska in September we actually got an invite to dine at the Captain's table...the one time we don't bring formal wear!!!!!!! They offered to outfit DH in a tux but I didn't have anything fancy to wear so we declined :eek:...guess we'll never see another invite again after that right? Oh well, we still had a fabulous cruise!!

We were invited to dine at the Captain's table with the Chief Engineer when we were cruising with my cousins, but they did not receive an invitation, so we declined. On our next cruise we were invited to dine with the Captain, so there's hope for you yet :D

Wow! Could not believe the attitude of the OP. Perhaps the folks at the Captain's table were simply friends of the Captain. Or perhaps they were there for other reasons of which the OP was not aware. Calling then "selfish" is just silly jealousy and makes little sense. DW and moi have dined with multiple Captain's on X, and have sometimes turned down invitations because we did not want to bother or preferred to be at another table with friends. And who are we? Nobody. Just normal cruisers who book regular balconies or Aqua. Why do we get invited? Sometimes we know, but often we have no clue (and could care less). And as to dining at the Captain's table on X, sometimes it can be a lot of fun (especially with Captain Demitrius Kafetsis (one of the funniest men we have ever met). But other times it can be stuffy and quite boring.

And to quote an old tale about a Dame (British Lady) on the old Queen Mary, when invited to dine with the Captain she replied, "Sir, I never dine with the hired help!"

Hank

Yes, we've been several times, but if I had already been on that cruise and been asked again, I would decline suggesting they find someone for whom it will be that once in a lifetime moment.

It really isn't that big a deal, believe me.

Diversity of opinion makes the world go round...

Glad someone finally made some noise at the captains table! We are offered to sit there ever cruise because we book larger suites and we decline time and time again. We socialize throughout our life.....why do it on vacation?

For those who missed it, it really is no big deal.....and you get a photo...which we always throw out.....ultimately some tables work but lots do not......not worth it.

We bring our fun with us, we travel with fun people, last thing we need to do is take the chance of ruining our night by sitting with a group of old farts lamenting that Celebrity is charging for everything these days blah blah blah. Hello....it's a business....of course they are.....Change is hard for some.

Also keep in mind that some people are just plain difficult and yet will get the invitation because of being in a PH or Royal etc. The officer hosting the table already knows who he has, and who is thought to be lovely and who is thought to be a Pain in the £$%.....Often more boisterous and enjoyable peoples are invited to help "break the ice" at a table where there are some notorious complainers. From someone who goes to lots of affairs, let me say that proper table seating is an often overlooked art.

Safe sails to all!