Formal Night

Fish66

I have always looked at "formal nights" as just an opportunity for the cruise lines to make extra revenue. The only thing that seem different on a formal night to any other is that they take an awful lot of photographs ( at $25-$30 bucks a pop) but nothing else seems to special. The meal options in the MDR may be a little more "upmarket" but other than that it is just a cash grab.

I have always looked at "formal nights" as just an opportunity for the cruise lines to make extra revenue. The only thing that seem different on a formal night to any other is that they take an awful lot of photographs ( at $25-$30 bucks a pop) but nothing else seems to special. The meal options in the MDR may be a little more "upmarket" but other than that it is just a cash grab.

You may be right, I still enjoyed them though (the nights, not the photos).

Is there any other way to enjoy the formal night dishes like lobster on Princess without going into the MDR?

I really don't want to pack the extra clothing for what is going to be a month long sea and land trip in the tropics at the hottest time of the year. Not so much for me, a pair of strappy sandals and a flimsy dress takes no room at all, but proper lace up shoes and suit pants/jackets for three biggish males will.

Can we do room service, specialty restaurant, UBD those nights and still enjoy the same food?

Is there any other way to enjoy the formal night dishes like lobster on Princess without going into the MDR?

I really don't want to pack the extra clothing for what is going to be a month long sea and land trip in the tropics at the hottest time of the year. Not so much for me, a pair of strappy sandals and a flimsy dress takes no room at all, but proper lace up shoes and suit pants/jackets for three biggish males will.

Can we do room service, specialty restaurant, UBD those nights and still enjoy the same food?

Specialty restaurants' may/sometimes have those type meals on Princess. You can always get a suite and then room service from the MDR for formal night.

Edited by MicCanberra

You won't get anything decent from room service, the menu is essentially junk food - but that may be different in suites.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner offers lobster, steak, or a combo of the two, and is a wonderful meal.

I don't think lobster was available in the Sterling Steakhouse on Sun & Dawn, but may be in other speciality restaurants on the larger ships - Diamond, Golden etc.

Do some smart shopping - Gazman sometimes have very light jackets that can be teamed with similar coloured trousers to look quite dressy, but can double as a sports jacket when required. Also there are lightweight mens dress shoes - they don't have to be lace-up. DH manages to fit his dinner suit, at least one smart casual jacket -sometimes two if the weather is variable, dress shoes and casual shoes, plus all his other stuff in a medium-sized spinner suitcase.

If you take one suitcase per person you should have tons of room.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You won't get anything decent from room service, the menu is essentially junk food - but that may be different in suites.

Room service for suites - extended to full breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=princess+suite+guests+and+room+service&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSR

I didn't take them as revenue raisers, but just as an opportunity to make things 'special' for those who like it, just like dressing up formally for any other event.

Also, similar to them having other theme nights, which usually isn't a revenue raiser, but just to again distinguish it from the everyday, and give people a chance to dress up if they want.

DH has a mild problem with one foot with heavy shoes. We bought a pair of black, good quality but light sneakers. He wears them usually with black dressy jeans on flights, while travelling (very serviceable) and has done many times in the MDR - no questions asked ever.

Just an alternative thought for you as the MDR is really worth attending even if you don't want to go on formal night.

To CLAIRBEARINAUS

I suffer from Achilles Bursitis which is an inflammation that causes a large painful lump at the back of my heel. Thanks to advice from a fellow poster I picked up a pair of black soft shoes for $16.00 from K Mart of all places.

Getting to the point, they are reasonably dressy, they are very light, and they flatten down to next to nothing. I don't wear a jacket on Formal nights, just good trousers with a long sleeved shirt and tie.

Suits to me were work clothes and I gave all mine to charity the day I retired.

Edited by Russell21

To CLAIRBEARINAUS

I suffer from Achilles Bursitis which is an inflammation that causes a large painful lump at the back of my heel. Thanks to advice from a fellow poster I picked up a pair of black soft shoes for $16.00 from K Mart of all places.

Getting to the point, they are reasonably dressy, they are very light, and they flatten down to next to nothing. I don't wear a jacket on Formal nights, just good trousers with a long sleeved shirt and tie.

Suits to me were work clothes and I gave all mine to charity the day I retired.

Thanks Russell, good to know that the jacket is optional. A tie is a lot easier to pack!

I'm also wondering if we could source a lightweight linen jacket, would this be OK with light pants and a pair of deck shoes? It's not formal at all in the strict sense but it seems that's a shaky standard on ships these days. DH/XH/It's Complicated would have those shoes anyway so it's not an extra thing to pack.

Something like these, particularly the third photo - OK for Princess formal?

http://www.bows-n-ties.com/mens-fashion-tips/summer-looks-with-linen-suits/

Linen suits with a smart open neck shirt are very chic these days.

If you are thinking ties , dont overlook the snap on or clip on bow ties. You can pick them up very cheap if you shop around.....take no room in the case...and you can have a whole new outfit simply by wearing a differnt coloured one...:D

I often wear deck shoes, linen trousers and a sports jacket when going out. If that is smart chic, then I have unknowingly been doing it for years.:D

They reckon if you hold onto anything long enough ...

it comes back into fashion...:D:D

Having just this week returned from cruising on P&O UK's Aurora and Oriana, might I warn you that they have a formal - Black tie night every 4 days and Jacket nights on many others. I just took a dark business suit for formal nights and got many stares from the tuxedo adorned poms who made up 99.99% of the passenger complement. But I knew that when I went, having cruised on P&O UK before. The formal dress code policy is also applied to most of the bars/lounges on the P&O ships, i.e. Crows Nest, Andersons etc.

The Celebrity 'chic nights sound nice.'

Edited by NSWP

I often wear deck shoes, linen trousers and a sports jacket when going out. If that is smart chic, then I have unknowingly been doing it for years.:D

Hi Mic, I am waiting for you to tell us that you also have that splendid form of attire 'YE OLDE SAFARI SUIT.' LOL.