Customs in ATL

kelkel2

I am asking on behalf of my sister.

She is planning a land vacation to Grand Cayman and is wanting to book her flight soon. She is looking at flights through Delta and will be going through customs in the ATL airport on a Wednesday afternoon. Their two connection layover options are 1 hour and 35 minutes and 3 hours and 50 minutes. They really don't want to book the almost 4 hour layover but will if it's necessary. What do you guys think?

I would never book a connection that short for international to domestic in Atlanta. The process of immigration and customs and going through security again and getting to the next gate to board on time will chew up a healthy portion of even that 3 hr 50 minute connection.

My target time for booking international to domestic is 3 to 4 hours.

It's anybody's guess. I've come into ATL after an internat'l flight and zipped through the entire process in 15 minutes. I've also come into ATL, had immigration take over 15-20 minutes, waited for 30 minutes for luggage, and waited another 20-30 to clear customs. Don't forget she will have to re-clear security after going through customs, and we all know what those lines can be like.

Remind your sister that some things are unknowns and out of her control......delayed arrival, long lines in customs or security to name a few. ATL is huge and there is no way of knowing at this point how far she will need to go to reach the gate for her next flight. Also she needs to keep in mind that her flight will close before the stated departure time so she may have less time than she thinks. While the second option may be more time than needed, it will be less stressful.

Customs rarely takes more than a couple of seconds, you just hand over the blue form/Global Entry receipt. The bottleneck occurs at immigration before you collect your bags and before customs.

You've got to clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs and then security once again in this scenario.

Customs rarely takes more than a couple of seconds, you just hand over the blue form/Global Entry receipt. The bottleneck occurs at immigration before you collect your bags and before customs.

You've got to clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs and then security once again in this scenario.

Last Msy I waited 30 minutes to use a kiosk to complete the customs form and another 20 to hand over the form and answer their questions. I was traveling with a carry on only so then proceeded to security. It still took me over an hour and a half to reach the next gate.

You are also at the mercy of whether a couple of other flights have just come in ahead of you, dropping several hundreds of folks in the line before you.

One tip....if she does happen to zip through formalities and security, she should head upstairs in "E" and have a bite to eat in One Flew South. One of the best airport restaurants out there. MUCH better than food court cardboard.

Last Msy I waited 30 minutes to use a kiosk to complete the customs form and another 20 to hand over the form and answer their questions. I was traveling with a carry on only so then proceeded to security. It still took me over an hour and a half to reach the next gate.

Sounds as though you were unlucky. I've entered the US easily 100+ times and even before I got Global Entry I think I only once had to wait more than about 30secs to hand over the customs form.

Haven't been through C & I anywhere else other than ATL in eons.

If your sister has Global Entry and carry on only 1:35 would be doable and IF she knows her way around the airport.

The plane train is right outside the C & I exit BTW.

The flashing light for me is the afternoon arrival. Many of the European flights arrive in the afternoon with passengers clogging the entry hall. In addition to that an arrival in Terminal E will almost always dictate a long walk from the gate to C & I. Terminal F isn't much better, just years newer. The Wednesday arrival is of no real importance.

If her trip is months away she should also be aware of continuing flight adjustments. This could always work in her favor too.

I'd opt for the 3:50 connection and head up the escalator if in E and hang a left into One Flew South too.

Thanks guys!

No, she doesn't have global entry and I know she will have checked luggage, I highly doubt she could do a trip on a carry on. I would be scared to suggest that to her. She would hate that idea. I'll suggest that restaurant to her! I think I've been there!

Sounds as though you were unlucky. I've entered the US easily 100+ times and even before I got Global Entry I think I only once had to wait more than about 30secs to hand over the customs form.

Then you've been very lucky. I've seen the customs line at ATL snaked around the baggage area more than once. As far as immigration they have added more non-GE kiosks at ATL and that helps.

One tip....if she does happen to zip through formalities and security, she should head upstairs in "E" and have a bite to eat in One Flew South. One of the best airport restaurants out there. MUCH better than food court cardboard.

I second this suggestion. My faves are the Concourse E Kobe beef burger or the pork belly sliders. Other ways to kills time include walking between concourses instead of taking the plane train. There are some exhibits along the way that can be interesting to look at and you get in some exercise to boot. There are also a couple of Xpress Spas at ATL. Sometimes a chair massage for the back/neck/shoulder area is just what the doctor ordered after sitting on a long international flight.

The biggest issue during the afternoon, as mentioned previously, is that you run in to the heavies coming in from Europe, each one dropping hundreds of people in to the immigration hall. That can slow things down momentously. Sometimes, US immigration is well staffed, and other times...not so much. Sometimes the kiosks are plentiful (and working properly), and other times...not so much.