Embarkation dining

Cruisin Pat

Flame me now... go ahead.. I can handle it... :cool:

According to my communication with the mobility access office' date=' there is one sit down restaurant open on each Princess ship from 12:00-1:30 on embarkation day. After that time, the options are the buffet or other "fast food" type outlets.[/quote']

One more reason why if I get an email telling me to come board at 1:30, I'll be there much earlier than that!! :eek:

According to my communication with the mobility access office' date=' there is one sit down restaurant open on each Princess ship from 12:00-1:30 on embarkation day. After that time, the options are the buffet or other "fast food" type outlets.[/quote']The restaurants aren't open unless you're referring to Alfredo's but there is usually one dining room open. As said, check the Patter to see which dining room is open.

One thing I've experienced a couple of times this year was a very limited menu in the dining room: no appetizer, soup or salad and only three entrees. I've walked out.

The restaurants aren't open unless you're referring to Alfredo's but there is usually one dining room open. As said, check the Patter to see which dining room is open.

One thing I've experienced a couple of times this year was a very limited menu in the dining room: no appetizer, soup or salad and only three entrees. I've walked out.

Yes, we had that "problem" on a BVE in Feb. and our last cruise in Sept.

Very disappointed.

I think they are trying to force us to go to the buffet.:mad::eek:

The restaurants aren't open unless you're referring to Alfredo's but there is usually one dining room open. As said, check the Patter to see which dining room is open.

Yes, we had that "problem" on a BVE in Feb. and our last cruise in Sept.

Very disappointed.

I think they are trying to force us to go to the buffet.:mad::eek:

Pam, I have experienced this also and also I have just turned around and walked out. JF - retired RRT, I think they are trying eventually do away with a MDR being open for embarkation day lunch, between the limited menu and the crew herding everyone to the buffet.

I just cruised on the Coral and they did have the normal embarkation menu (I love the salmon) We had a late embarkation that day so the dining room was pretty empty :) :) :) It was wonderful!

They usually have one MDR open on embarkation day from noon to 1:30 pm. Every time I have asked a directing crew member, they have said none are open so don't believe them. I have found the MDR on deck 6 midship is the one open. The menu is a bit limited but does have a nice selection. It certainly is better than the HC, IC, grill or pizzeria and crowds IMO. When we boarded the Royal, we found Alfredo's to be open and not crowded as the pax rushed to the HC. It was a very nice choice to the MDR.

We have taken 15 Princess cruises since 2009 when they started offering lunch in the DR for embarking passengers. On one 3 day repo cruise on the Coral there was no DR open for lunch which was confirmed with the Maitre d'. On another cruise on the Coral the doors to both DR were closed but when we went into the DR on deck 6 we were welcomed by staff for lunch. We also had the abbreviated lunch menu on one 4 day Coastal cruise out of San Pedro. On the other 12 cruises we have had no problems and I was able to start out my cruise with medallions of beef and the Grand Marnier souffle and Nutella ice cream for dessert. After that I know that my cruise has started :)

We were on the Star last week getting on the ship at about noon. We went to our stateroom then went directly to the Portofino Dining room for great embarkation lunch.

By the way, the entire cruise was really good. Special thanks to the super cruise director and staff especially Alex.

Edited by earlydiner

Pam, I have experienced this also and also I have just turned around and walked out. JF - retired RRT, I think they are trying eventually do away with a MDR being open for embarkation day lunch, between the limited menu and the crew herding everyone to the buffet.

I just cruised on the Coral and they did have the normal embarkation menu (I love the salmon) We had a late embarkation that day so the dining room was pretty empty :) :) :) It was wonderful!

We've found that too. On our TA (15 days) we had lunch in the MDR only once.

Do they post the menus outside the dining rooms? Just curious as we check this on another line and then decide whether to hit the dining room or the buffet for lunch.

They do not post the menu. Most of the time, the doors are closed, and you just have to peek in to find the correct dining room (either Deck 5 or 6 midship). We have been told no before, but if you persist, they will relent.

Do they post the menus outside the dining rooms? Just curious as we check this on another line and then decide whether to hit the dining room or the buffet for lunch.

They do not post the menu. Most of the time' date=' the doors are closed, and you just have to peek in to find the correct dining room (either Deck 5 or 6 midship). We have been told no before, but if you persist, they will relent.[/quote']

However, they do post the menus for all other meals.

We too have noticed that the selections leave much to be desired. Still, after the hustle and bustle of arriving at the port and going through the boarding process, we enjoy the relaxed pace of sitting down and having a plated meal served by a waitstaff. If the overall meal proves to be inadequate, (which has been the case of late), we head to the buffet, or, more likely, the IC and top ourselves off. And if the ship has an Alfredo's, we will go there as the first option.

What are Princess playing at, treating their pax as idiots . Discouraging pax from using MDR on emabarkation day by closing doors, staff saying NDR not open etc . Number crunchers at HO are ruining a once good cruise line .

I always have lunch in the dining room on embarkation, its a restricted menu and the service can be slow if there aren't enough waiters working and there are many back to back passengers eating there.

However its so much less stressful than the HC buffet full of new passengers who are doing everything possible to make the flow through the buffet line NOT work well.

The plus side to the buffet on embarkation day is the huge haunch of roast beef that is often available, now if Princess could only make decent Yorkshire Puddings to go with it then it would be wonderful.

I've given up on that ever happening though.