Mariner Status on Holland America

lcimba

If it is only pears and chocolate strawberries, then they can have that.

I never even read that breakfast room service menu.

Many times you don't see the room steward for the entire cruise until the last day when he/she is hanging around hoping for a tip.

Your experiences has been very different from mine.

Many times you don't see the room steward for the entire cruise until the last day when he/she is hanging around hoping for a tip.

I've never seen chocolate strawberries as the fruit choices. It's usually bananas, apples etc. You can request what you want. I usually just ask for apples because this is what I enjoy.

I'm curious if you have sailed Hal. The hsc is added directly to your onboard account so why would they be standing around waiting for a tip? Generally they leave the room service card on your bed each night.

I seem to alternate between Neptunes on Vistas and OV or veranda on other ships, so I can't remember when I've been given fruit and when I haven't. It isn't an amenity that I care about, so it doesn't register. There's so much "first day" paper, that some people probably don't notice the card.

I've found the card in the bottom of the fruit bowl so it's not usually in a pile of papers. I believe you can fill it out at your leisure so it's not something that needs to be rushed. I like having some healthy food in my cabin to munch on first thing in the morning because it takes me a while to get ready. I guess since I'm an accountant I'm used to dealing with a lot of paper. Somehow I manage to go thru it all pretty quickly.

I've never seen chocolate strawberries as the fruit choices. It's usually bananas, apples etc. You can request what you want. I usually just ask for apples because this is what I enjoy.

I'm curious if you have sailed Hal. The hsc is added directly to your onboard account so why would they be standing around waiting for a tip? Generally they leave the room service card on your bed each night.

(bold is mine) I haven't see a cabin steward waiting around for a tip. They're way too busy changing over the cabins for the next passengers. We usually tip our steward extra, and often have to search for him in order to say goodbye and give him the tip.

(bold is mine) I haven't see a cabin steward waiting around for a tip. They're way too busy changing over the cabins for the next passengers. We usually tip our steward extra, and often have to search for him in order to say goodbye and give him the tip.

I just leave mine in the room. I find it personally embarrassing dealing with tips face to face.

No point in whining about status as it really does not mean much anyway.

Have been at 4 star status for several years and what is advertised

as perks really does not happen.

Never got priority embark or disembark. Went with the thundering herd

along with all the rest. A little more difficult with a motorised scooter,but no big deal.not in any hurry. No one ever got to the first

port of call before the ship.

Don`t get the magazine. Was not given the pin. Don`t even get the tiles anymore.

I really don`t care about the status . I pay the price ,eventually get on the ship and enjoy myself having a great cruise. Not fretting about status.

My advise is to enjoy the cruise to it`s fullest and don`t worry

about the little things.

A fruit basket? Didn't you have one in your room that was replenished as you ate it? I don't understand the fuss about pins and medals. That last thing I need is more clutter. There are many Mariners. I'd rather the captain be attending to ship issues then having a one on one with me.

Actually NO, we did not get a fruit basket in our cabin. There was a little round card left, that says to fill this out with the fruit you would like and it will be delivered. This was not the morning breakfast card, this was something different. We were in a VA category veranda.

As long as I've been sailing Hal you always had to fill out the card. The only time it appears automatically is when you're in a suite, Neptune I believe.

15-20 years ago the fruit bowl was in the cabin when you boarded and was replenished automatically. I do prefer the newer method of letting you ask for the fruit you prefer.

We've always met our cabin steward on the first day and gone over the things we'd like him to do, or not do, during our cruise.

15-20 years ago the fruit bowl was in the cabin when you boarded and was replenished automatically. I do prefer the newer method of letting you ask for the fruit you prefer.

Agree! This way the ship doesn't waste a lot of fruit that pax don't want. I think it is a very good idea.

We fill out the form and the basket is always refilled, correctly.

Great improvement!

One thing about this thread: the OP is talking about the Star program, so maybe we should just leave out the pins and medallion business. Just confuses the issue.

I expect the pins and medallions are next on the chopping block, anyways.

The Star program gives out square lapel pins, and I doubt very much that they are going away. These are what I was asking about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154762&d=1272723046

Edited by catl331

The Star program gives out square lapel pins, and I doubt very much that they are going away. These are what I was asking about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154762&d=1272723046

Sorry, you are quite right. I was thinking about the old medallion pins.

Generally when I think about the Mariner program(s) I think about the rewards, not pins and medallions.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Actually NO, we did not get a fruit basket in our cabin. There was a little round card left, that says to fill this out with the fruit you would like and it will be delivered. This was not the morning breakfast card, this was something different. We were in a VA category veranda.

If you filled it out the fruit would have likely appeared. It hard for them to know you want it if you don't request it. Yes, I realize the breakfast card is different.

If you filled it out the fruit would have likely appeared. It hard for them to know you want it if you don't request it. Yes, I realize the breakfast card is different.

And, I never really cared about the fruit basket. Things would rot by the time I'd get to them. I would get fresh fruit at breakfast and lunch. Good. enough.

And, I never really cared about the fruit basket. Things would rot by the time I'd get to them. I would get fresh fruit at breakfast and lunch. Good. enough.

I'm not saying people should or shouldn't like it. It's of no concern to me. I'm just responding to the folks that are complaining about not getting one. I know you can get it elsewhere on the ship.

I've never seen any steward on any HAL ship hang around hoping for a tip. If you have, I am sorry to hear it.

If you want something from your steward and want to tell him something, leave a brief note on your bed in the morning or evening. They will find it and accommodate your request, if possible. No need to do without because you have not seen them hanging around.

I've never seen any steward on any HAL ship hang around hoping for a tip. If you have, I am sorry to hear it.

If you want something from your steward and want to tell him something, leave a brief note on your bed in the morning or evening. They will find it and accommodate your request, if possible. No need to do without because you have not seen them hanging around.

Exactly, works like a charm for the most part.

The difference in perks from 2 star to 3 star is hardly worth getting one's knickers in a twist. PLUS, as other posters have pointed out: The perks are initiated on the first cruise after achieving a new star level status. They are upfront about the rules --- all of the OP's cruises were purchased under those conditions, why would a change be expected now?

It is interesting the difference in services experienced by cruisers. Everyone does NOT get the same service or amenities. The things promised in the advertising aren't actually provided. The rewards are not actually given to all.

This media puts a spotlight on these inequalities. One would never know one is not getting all the service they should.

Some things we DO know about and we have to argue tenaciously to get what we deserve. There is no place for patience and politeness with HAL. They will walk over you with your weakness.

Do not be too much of a brainwashed follower of HAL. Not everyone gets the same service or has had the same experiences.

It is interesting the difference in services experienced by cruisers. Everyone does NOT get the same service or amenities. The things promised in the advertising aren't actually provided. The rewards are not actually given to all.

This media puts a spotlight on these inequalities. One would never know one is not getting all the service they should.

Some things we DO know about and we have to argue tenaciously to get what we deserve. There is no place for patience and politeness with HAL. They will walk over you with your weakness.

Do not be too much of a brainwashed follower of HAL. Not everyone gets the same service or has had the same experiences.

Oh so true! WE don't always get our pins, haven't seen the Mariner magazine in years, etc. And we Really. Don't. Care. This 1st world sense of entitlement is so grating.

Didn't get a pin? No need to rant and rave. An email to the Mariner Society will bring it to you.

Didn't get a glass of dreadful sparkling wine? Consider yourself lucky, that stuff will take rust off your car.

Had to actually wait for embarkation? Move over to the non-entitled line - it's moving faster. Oh, but then people might think you're one of the great unwashed rather than the elite person you really are. Not.

Also different from what I have experienced but do admit some may have different experiences. Maybe attitude has something to do with the differences - just saying. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Okay, yes I can feel the flames .....

I cruise for the experience, relaxation and adventure, not medallions, pins or a magazine subscription. Fruit and just about everything else was available if requested only (I also leave the note on the bed) which is fine with me and yes, I do read the info left the 1st day as things do change over time.

Do know that the stewards may seen to hover but would guess it is so they are readily available for assistance if needed. I sometimes use space bags to pack for home and just have to stick my head out to ask the steward to bring "Henry" and he is there is a second with vacuum in tow. My mom would ask them to help with her suitcases.

It is a vacation, enjoy it!

Edited by take us away

Didn't get a glass of dreadful sparkling wine? Consider yourself lucky, that stuff will take rust off your car.

Old guy (me) learns something new every day. Just wondering --- does it work better than Coke???

:):):D

Edited by earljr