Beef Wellington

sunbelle1974

I really appreciate all the replies thus far since yesterday. :)

My husband and I are relatively new to cruising. We're not really seafood eaters, which is kind of funny since we live in FL and have the ocean almost at our doorstep. LOL.

There is usually a seafood item available each night, and there is always a non-seafood alternative (beef, chicken, pork, etc.)

My husband and I are relatively new to cruising. We're not really seafood eaters, which is kind of funny since we live in FL and have the ocean almost at our doorstep. LOL. With watching all the Master Chef/Hells Kitchen type TV shows, they always cook Beef Wellington and, well, I want to actually try it. (Why not, right?!) :D Would it be in bad taste to ask our dining steward/server if I could possibly order it? (Again, I'm new to all the cruise etiquette and such, so advice is appreciated.)

You can ask but it might not be honoured. I asked for some bitterballen on my cruise last month on the eurodam. These are not fancy or expensive. You''d think I'd ask for someone's first born male:D. In the end I did get a very small amount of it but it was difficult. On other cruises they were more open to the idea.

My husband and I are relatively new to cruising. We're not really seafood eaters, which is kind of funny since we live in FL and have the ocean almost at our doorstep. LOL. With watching all the Master Chef/Hells Kitchen type TV shows, they always cook Beef Wellington and, well, I want to actually try it. (Why not, right?!) :D Would it be in bad taste to ask our dining steward/server if I could possibly order it? (Again, I'm new to all the cruise etiquette and such, so advice is appreciated.)

By all means ask but don't get your heart set on them saying yes. However, there is at least some chance so nothing to lose by asking. You won't be the only one asking for something not on the menu. :)

No harm in asking if Beef Wellington (or anything else, for that matter) could be served to you. I would suggest that you speak with either the Dining Room Manager or one of the Assistants. Your Dining Room Stewards are not in a position to grant such a request.

(If you would happen to meet the Culinary Operations Manager, that person would be in an even better position to help you.)

Good Luck!

By all means ask but don't get your heart set on them saying yes. However, there is at least some chance so nothing to lose by asking. You won't be the only one asking for something not on the menu. :)

You can ask but I guarantee the answer will be no. To make Beef Wellington an entire roast (usually about 20 lbs) must be coated with pate, then cooked. It is then sliced thick - one slice is an entire entrée. The process takes hours. I suppose, if they have some roast beef in the kitchen they could spread some pate on it, and call it Beef Wellington. But it would not be the real thing. Better to just hope it shows up on the menu.

You can ask but I guarantee the answer will be no. To make Beef Wellington an entire roast (usually about 20 lbs) must be coated with pate, then cooked. It is then sliced thick - one slice is an entire entrée. The process takes hours. I suppose, if they have some roast beef in the kitchen they could spread some pate on it, and call it Beef Wellington. But it would not be the real thing. Better to just hope it shows up on the menu.

They could ask for it on an upcoming night, rather than the same night.

Beef Wellington, to my mind, is a quintessential example of the kind of old-school fine dining that cruise ships have gotten away from. It is labor-intensive preparation. It seems now on most ships the entrees are things that are relatively simple to prepare as opposed to the complex preparations of days past.... Same with sauces and garnishes, they do not have the same depth of flavor to them and I suspect they are either made differently, are partially pre-made, or the ingredients are of lower quality.

Does anyone know if Beef Wellington is served in the MDR? I have always wanted to try it and curious if I could order it.

Cruise ships are very restricted by storage space and the lack of readily available suppliers (they are at sea, after all) to be able to accommodate special requests. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. Why take that risk? Living in Florida, I would think that there is at least one steak house that serves Beef Wellington. Why request it of an cruise ship that does not offer it when you can easily avail of a land based restaurant that does?

Cruise ships are very restricted by storage space and the lack of readily available suppliers (they are at sea, after all) to be able to accommodate special requests. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. Why take that risk?

What risk? They won't toss you overboard for asking about a menu item!