Beef Wellington

sunbelle1974

Does anyone know if Beef Wellington is served in the MDR? I have always wanted to try it and curious if I could order it.

One of my favorite dishes is Beef Wellington. On most ships it is offered as an alternative to the lobster on the night they serve lobster. But I am not sure about HAL, as it has been a few years since I sailed with them. Most people pass on the Beef Wellington in order to have lobster, but one year I asked the waiter to bring me both and he did!

Yes, on one of the Gala Night menus, it probably will be there.

It often has to compete with Lobster, Surf and Turf (Shrimp, not Lobster, usually), Rack of Lamb or Lamb Chops and sometimes even an interesting Pasra Dish in on the menu.

Edited by rkacruiser

Beef Wellington never appeared on my recent series of Nieuw Amsterdam cruises.

The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days in length. I have usually found Beef Wellington on longer cruises.

The Gala night menus were set, with few choices (and I found them poor).

Beef Wellington never appeared on my recent series of Nieuw Amsterdam cruises.

The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days in length. I have usually found Beef Wellington on longer cruises.

The Gala night menus were set, with few choices (and I found them poor).

On our recent cruises, the Gala night menus offered very few choices and there was not the usual "everyday options".

Glad we ate in the Pinnacle and Tamarind on Gala nights.

On our recent cruises, the Gala night menus offered very few choices and there was not the usual "everyday options".

Glad we ate in the Pinnacle and Tamarind on Gala nights.

Since you didn't eat in the dining room, you didn't have the opportunity to ask if the "always available" was offered that night.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam I asked, and was able to order from "always available". Those choices were better than the Gala offerings (except for the warm flourless chocolate cake ;)).

I was on the same cruise as KK and I did eat in the MDR on formal night. While I was able to order Caesar salad off the always available menu I could not order a dessert from there. I don't think I'll be going to the first gala night of the cruise anymore. The menu is pathetic. Pretty much any night is better. It looks like the op is going to the Caribbean. I can pretty much guarantee they will not see beef Wellington.

Another thing that varies from ship to ship. On Veendam, we were told "always available" items weren't available on gala nights. DH wanted ice cream for dessert and was told it wasn't available.

I guess they stopped and picked some up at 7-11 for the next night :D;). I can't believe the choices they have for dessert on the first formal. They had a soufflé, strawberries with vinegar and some sugar free thing. That's gala:eek:? In my mind it's not even worth putting a pair of yoga pants for and I'm generally more formal than the situation dictates.

Another thing that varies from ship to ship. On Veendam, we were told "always available" items weren't available on gala nights. DH wanted ice cream for dessert and was told it wasn't available.

This is just crazy! On one cruise on the final night's Master Chef Dinner fiasco, I was told "always available" was not available. On a different cruise, same poor menu, yes, a steak was available.

It is the inconsistencies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise that is HAL's major problem!

Our 12 night eastern Med cruise did not offer beef wellington. We were told it was only offered on "longer" cruises. We were not able to get the always available choices on Gala night. There were few choices but the rack of lamb was quite good. I think Gala night will be short-lived, not worth any to-do, just MHO.

They do, and it's pretty good. If this thread is making you hungry, I highly recommend the Beef Wellington from Allen Brothers. They make a full Wellington or individual ones. It's not quite as good as making it with foie gras, but there's duck and goose pate and truffles. Also, you just need bake it.

http://www.allenbrothers.com/allen-brothers-individual-beef-wellington.html

This is just crazy! On one cruise on the final night's Master Chef Dinner fiasco, I was told "always available" was not available. On a different cruise, same poor menu, yes, a steak was available.

It is the inconsistencies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise that is HAL's major problem!

Bold is mine. I agree. It is disappointing to look forward to some special offering that you really like only to find that on "this cruise, this ship, this itinerary" it is not available. Having a few choices that would always be available to those who don't wish to order from the daily menu should be available every night. I wonder if they have pulled back staff in the kitchen in addition to what they have done to the servers in the dining room? Is this just another consequence of the budget cuts they seem to be making? :(

Since you didn't eat in the dining room, you didn't have the opportunity to ask if the "always available" was offered that night.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam I asked, and was able to order from "always available". Those choices were better than the Gala offerings (except for the warm flourless chocolate cake ;)).

There were some people we knew who did eat in the dining room on Gala nights. Husband didn't like the entrée choices and wanted chicken -- told -- not available.

[/b]

Bold is mine. I agree. It is disappointing to look forward to some special offering that you really like only to find that on "this cruise, this ship, this itinerary" it is not available. Having a few choices that would always be available to those who don't wish to order from the daily menu should be available every night. I wonder if they have pulled back staff in the kitchen in addition to what they have done to the servers in the dining room? Is this just another consequence of the budget cuts they seem to be making? :(

It does sound like HAL has cut back on the kitchen staff.

I really appreciate all the replies thus far since yesterday. :)

My husband and I are relatively new to cruising. We're not really seafood eaters, which is kind of funny since we live in FL and have the ocean almost at our doorstep. LOL. With watching all the Master Chef/Hells Kitchen type TV shows, they always cook Beef Wellington and, well, I want to actually try it. (Why not, right?!) :D Would it be in bad taste to ask our dining steward/server if I could possibly order it? (Again, I'm new to all the cruise etiquette and such, so advice is appreciated.)

With watching all the Master Chef/Hells Kitchen type TV shows, they always cook Beef Wellington and, well, I want to actually try it. (Why not, right?!) :D Would it be in bad taste to ask our dining steward/server if I could possibly order it? (Again, I'm new to all the cruise etiquette and such, so advice is appreciated.)

You can only order it, if it appears on the menu. After reading all of these posts, it seems that it will be a matter of luck if it appears on the menu.

Edited by Tom O.