Why I Won't be Sailing on the Constellation Again

CathyCruises

I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here...

If you went to your Dr. at home, and IF you didn't have any insurance, I'd be inclined to think that your cost for your appointment would be in the region of over $100.00. We're all quite use to our Insurance paying for a majority of our healthcare costs.

Years ago, I had bronchitis on a cruise. I had numerous visits to the Infirmary for inhalation treatments. The final bill was expensive. Around $900.00.

I sent it to my Insurance company and was reimbursed everything but my "office visit" co-payment charge.

And maybe in the future you'll bring a small bottle of cough meds with you. We do...just in case.

I wonder how many UK members read this and thought, yeah... our NHS isn't that bad after all.... :D :D :D

Having done the TA twice to Rome, we are considering the Constellation to Rome. My major concerns are about sailing on an older ship; not being as large as the S class ships; and crowd.

We have sailed both Constellation and Reflection on TA to Rome. Both trips were outstanding. A TA is our favorite itinerary because of all the sea days and the activities aboard on those days. We are in the minority that prefers sea days to numerous port stops. Often we will not even get off the ship in ports we have been to before.

There are pros and cons for M class and S class ships for sure. Although we would take another TA on Reflection in a heartbeat, our preferred choice is Constellation - better layout, less crowded, and more intimate.

We have sailed both Constellation and Reflection on TA to Rome. Both trips were outstanding. A TA is our favorite itinerary because of all the sea days and the activities aboard on those days. We are in the minority that prefers sea days to numerous port stops. Often we will not even get off the ship in ports we have been to before.

There are pros and cons for M class and S class ships for sure. Although we would take another TA on Reflection in a heartbeat, our preferred choice is Constellation - better layout, less crowded, and more intimate.

Thank you so much. We too LOVE the sea days and Rome is our favorite. I am waiting to hear back from our travel agent to see which is the best option for my pocketbook this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside, and after reading the prior few posts, we also love sea days and seek out those kind of cruises. Last year we did a Transpacific where 12 of the first 14 days were at sea. And yesterday we booked a long cruise that has 25 days at sea :). So for we sea lovers there are some great options among all the cruise lines. One just needs to have the time (and money).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Will be on the Constellation in September -- Hope this ice issue is better by then. As for purchasing meds -- I always go to the infirmary for that type of cost, less expensive and if I need to see the doctor, I do...but I also buy travel insurance which covers these types of costs and is easy to get reimbursed. Travel insurance is worth the extra cost for this reason, damaged bags, missed flights, etc.

My DH was lucky that he was not charged a dime, after getting food poisoning. However, he was sick as a dog for three days of the cruise. I must add that it was on NCL and not Celebrity! It happens, but we just don't want it to happen to us. We also carry lots of meds just in case. I needed some on my Adriatic cruise, yet it was and still is, one of my favorites!:eek:

So sorry to you had sound bad experiences on Connie. We will be sling her in the Med in 3 1/2 months and I hope they have their act together by then. There is no excuse for the issues you posted about and I hope you write a letter to Celebrity.

Marion

Not any longer. The whole Oceanview Bar is non-smoking. Well it was on our cruise at least.

Phil

Phil,

There is smoking at the Oceanview Bar on the Summit. The problem with that is smokers pull extra tables and chairs and had the steps blocked port side going up to deck 11. I saw cigar smokers frequently walk over to the starboard side with their lit cigars. :mad: :rolleyes:

To the OP...sorry you had a poor experience. I can only say we had really good experiences on the Summit, which is an M class ship. I can honestly say the staff on the Summit were much more friendly and accommodating than our experience on the Silhouette.

Phil,

There is smoking at the Oceanview Bar on the Summit. The problem with that is smokers pull extra tables and chairs and had the steps blocked port side going up to deck 11. I saw cigar smokers frequently walk over to the starboard side with their lit cigars. :mad: :rolleyes:

To the OP...sorry you had a poor experience. I can only say we had really good experiences on the Summit, which is an M class ship. I can honestly say the staff on the Summit were much more friendly and accommodating than our experience on the Silhouette.

That's weird because there was no smoking on the Millie Oct-Nov (Japan/China) at the Oceanview Bar which was fabulous. Not an ashtray in sight. On other cruises on M Class when we saw the "creeping ashtrays" the bar stewards were happy to relocate them to the proper area. Hopefully the Infinity in May will also be smoke free at the Oceanview Bar:)

That's weird because there was no smoking on the Millie Oct-Nov (Japan/China) at the Oceanview Bar which was fabulous. Not an ashtray in sight. On other cruises on M Class when we saw the "creeping ashtrays" the bar stewards were happy to relocate them to the proper area. Hopefully the Infinity in May will also be smoke free at the Oceanview Bar:)

It is weird...thought all the X ships pretty much had the same smoking areas. When I say Oceanview, I'm referring to what some call the Sunset Bar...deck 10, aft. I also saw smoking by the pool and on deck 11, port side about midship. I'm not here to debate smoking or judge anyone, but I do wish they would have a designated area for cigars....sorry cigar smokers. The smell makes me sick....it always has.

Captains work a three month shift. Tasos will be on vacation in March. Should return for the April TA. Nickolas will be going to Millie and I'm not certain who the relief Captain will be in March.

Oh, I hope he is. We were on the Constellation Christmas Cruise and really enjoyed him. Having him on the April TA would be a highlight. He is a wonderful Captain and very visible. We loved everything about our Christmas cruise and are anxious to return to the Constellation for 13 nights. We are traveling with friends that are not new to cruising, but, to Celebrity, and I hope they love Celebrity as much as we do.

Marie

Seeing a lot of commentary regarding having a cold. I'd guess this is often aircon related on a ship.

Shortly after moving to South East Asia where humidity & temperature is high and aircon is fierce leading to frequent colds, sniffling, flue type symptoms a fellow expat suggested his remedy. Echinacea, a natural cold remedy that used to be in both liquid and tablet form. Not seen the liquid form for about 5 years though.

First sign of runny nose etc, I pop 2 tablets followed up again 8 hours later. In 24 hours, nothing cold related anymore. No idea how it works and it's not just masking the cold, it's gone.

I know it is available in the UK as my mum now swears by it following my suggestion and it's available in Australia under the Blackmores Vitamin range as that is what we can buy in Thailand where I live.

I'm led to believe Echinacea is a type of tree but don't take my word for it, all I care is that it works and it does.

Sorry to hear your cruise was not up to your expectations. Sometimes though you have to take it for what it is and make the best of it and not let things ruin your vacation. Definitely mention you aren't happy, learn from it and put it to rest.

Just a small tip- I always pack a few over the counter meds and store them in a ziplock bag. Dayquil tabs, Nyquil tabs, Advil, Tums, Pepto, etc are my staples. If we need something we have it but if I didn't have something we needed we would no doubt purchase even at a crazy price so we could better enjoy our vacation.

I always have a small medicine bag with me because you never know. Like you said we include Motrin, Itch be Gone (for bug bites), Pepto, Tums, Claritin, and anything else we can find. Even include a few band aids for blisters. That would stink to be in the middle of the ocean and get sick. $17.99 for a small bottle of medicine is crazy. I would have to suffer because I hate taking that stuff anyway! :)