good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Yes, The Grand is definitely sea-worthy. I just got off this a.m. and have absolutely no complaints about anything on this cruise. Disembarkation was a breeze and I can proudly say, I am already unpacked and one wash already finished and in the dryer.

One observation - The ship came in this morning (I woke just in time to watch us cruise under the GG bridge) but came in to Pier 27 stern first. Not sure if this happens occasionally but our previous experiences were with it coming in stern first. Perhaps this position was to make it easier for repair of the damaged "board" or to make it easier to pull out of the port this evening.

This was a wonderful and relaxing cruise for my husband and myself. We met some truly wonderful people both from our roll call and around ship. The entertainment, food, and services, all were exceptional.

Just to add one more thing, never once did we feel in danger or that the ship was unsafe. The reduced speed was negligible. The captain and crew were awesome as was David Cole and his staff. We'll be booking another cruise with Princess for this upcoming spring.

I'm also concerned about the speed of the ship. If top speed on the way back to SF was in the 17-18 knot range, will the ship be able to make it to all 4 Hawaii ports on its next scheduled cruise to Hawaii on January 19? Isn't one of the reasons the ship made it back today is that the ports stops (Kauai,Maui) were cancelled to allow for cruising at a reduced speed?

I hope that any repairs still needed to get up to top/normal speed are done today while in port or over the next month.

I'm also concerned about the speed of the ship. If top speed on the way back to SF was in the 17-18 knot range, will the ship be able to make it to all 4 Hawaii ports on its next scheduled cruise to Hawaii on January 19? Isn't one of the reasons the ship made it back today is that the ports stops (Kauai,Maui) were cancelled to allow for cruising at a reduced speed?

I hope that any repairs still needed to get up to top/normal speed are done today while in port or over the next month.

That is a normal speed.

Thanks Colo Cruiser..maybe I was mistaken. On 3 previous Hawaii cruises I can remember sailing between 20 to 24 knots. IDK 17-18 seems kinda slow. Whatever speed the Grand can travel, just hope it's fast enough to get us there and back without having to skip any ports.

Thanks Colo Cruiser..maybe I was mistaken. On 3 previous Hawaii cruises I can remember sailing between 20 to 24 knots. IDK 17-18 seems kinda slow. Whatever speed the Grand can travel, just hope it's fast enough to get us there and back without having to skip any ports.

18-19 is pretty average.

I believe the top speed is in the low 20's (sea trials) on a Grand Class ship but they won't do that very often. I would think if they were having issues they would not be doing 18+. Sounds like the issues may have been rectified.

thanks Panda64…we are sitting on board and since we are "in transit" we can get off whenever we want….i figure "In n Out" opens at 11, so after picking up some resupplies at Safeway ( another place that doesn't exist in florida by the way) we' have a big lunch and head back to the ship after the rush is over…these turn around days are ALWAYS a high point of our cruise.

there have been no announcements regarding the propulsion repairs and according to my garmin gps, the last few days has been a speed of 15-17 MPH…the disembarkation here seems to be on time from what i can tell.

For all of you coming aboard…i would rate this as a top3-5 of our 26 princess cruises….and thats missing the 3 best ports…..

one last note…the refunds and FFC's we were given were a really good business decision…i suspect the most exhausted person on the staff is the future cruise staff person who had a long and steady line each day of passengers booking future cruises with princess…we darn sure purchased more!

thanks to all for the comments.

Just wanted to say that this thread has been a real pleasure to follow, with all the up's and down in the beginning with the uncertain itinerary, followed by the great news from Princess stepping up, and then all the fun and humorous fast food posts along the way... Turned out to be a great thread to follow after such a dire beginning :)

As the OP thanks for starting the thread and keeping us all so well informed, hoping your 2nd leg turns out as well as the 1st leg.. Good luck !!

Srpilo

I agree with other posters who just got off the Grand Princess on Dec. 10th. Even though we didn't make it to three of the ports, the sea days were great. Lots of activities onboard ship to keep us occupied. Capt. Roger Bilton and his staff and crew gave us their all in ensuring we had a superb cruise. Also, THANK YOU to Princess corporate for the speedy refund package. We had our full fare monies back into our charge account within 3 days of the refund announcement. I will sail with Princess again.:):):):)

I'll be boarding the Grand next month and wonder if anyone has any recent experiences with the quad blacony cabins on the Caribe deck?

At one time, these cabins were "twin beds only" regardless of the number of passengers in the cabins. Also, the cabins don't have nightstands.

Our TA confirmed with Princess that the two lower beds can now be made into a queen. The bunks go in the ceiling, so that's a good thing.

I've tried searching and can't find any pictures.:( I'm wondering if someone might be able to post a picture or share information regarding these cabins?

Welcome to SF! Thank you for starting this discussion! I've appreciated all the updates. I'm not sure if In and Out is opened yet, but guessing you'll be in line soon. Enjoy the day today and hopefully we'll meet up on the ship.

Lani

Panda, just got back on board. We both had a "double-double" and shared "animal style Fries"…. that meal completes me!….

my wife and i absolutely love san Francisco and its people….the sun was out …it was pleasantly cool and the whole "passenger in transit" thing really floats my boat

i am trying to contain my excitement about going to "Cabo Wabo" in Cabo …not really…. but my wife cannot wait on going there . my music preference is more towards Luther Vandros and alan jackson...For the record i never heard of sammy hagar so i hope the beer ice cold….

thanks again to all for sharing our wonderful journey and have a safe holiday season...

... i am trying to contain my excitement about going to "Cabo Wabo" in Cabo …not really…. but my wife cannot wait on going there . my music preference is more towards Luther Vandros and alan jackson...For the record i never heard of sammy hagar so i hope the beer ice cold….

thanks again to all for sharing our wonderful journey and have a safe holiday season...

There's a new place in Cabo called "John's Place" it's across the street from the new marina access path. Anyway they have amazing food and great margaritas. It's not a music/club place, just for food and drinks.

Worth a stop if you're out and about.

Kauai was cancelled because the Coast Guard didn't release the ship until 4:30 am, according to the captain, leaving not enough time to get there for a meaningful day. That day was spent in Honolulu. Lahaina seems to be missed fairly often because of rough seas anyway ( twice in our experience).

Edited by Nancyquilts

i am trying to contain my excitement about going to "Cabo Wabo" in Cabo …not really…. but my wife cannot wait on going there . my music preference is more towards Luther Vandros and alan jackson...For the record i never heard of sammy hagar so i hope the beer ice cold….

Cabo Wabo has cold beer, great food and free WiFi. Sammy Hagar "I can't drive 55" was the lead singer for Van Halen in the 80's. We always manager to stop by Cabo Wabo for beer and Mexican appetizer. Sammy plays there from time to time and last time he was playing that night but unfortunately we had to get back to the ship.

Cabo Wabo has cold beer, great food and free WiFi. Sammy Hagar "I can't drive 55" was the lead singer for Van Halen in the 80's. We always manager to stop by Cabo Wabo for beer and Mexican appetizer. Sammy plays there from time to time and last time he was playing that night but unfortunately we had to get back to the ship.

"Can't drive 55"........My favorite drink there. :eek:

Important question for recent grand cruisers: how often do towel animals show up? My twins worship them like Gods in the room. I have seen some grumbling on here about them and hope they haven't been cut.

Thanks,

Twindaddy

In my experience almost never but with twin kids they should up the ante.

Important question for recent grand cruisers: how often do towel animals show up? My twins worship them like Gods in the room. I have seen some grumbling on here about them and hope they haven't been cut.

Thanks,

Twindaddy

Just have to ask as I have heard of towel animals, but yet to see any in 17 cruises : is this something they do when children in the room only?

We had animals on the bed for two of the 10 nights of our cruise the first of November on the Star Princess. And we are not kids. I think it just depends on your room steward. We had a dandy. If I had kids with me, I would ask the steward if he/she could/would do it.

Edited by earlydiner

In my experience almost never but with twin kids they should up the ante.

I actually thought it was nice there was no towel animals! I felt it was so much extra work for the hard-working stewards. And I would just as soon no one handled my towels. I didn't need them. Hope this doesn't seem too negative to those who like them. I think in general Princess just doesn't do towel animals, though a lot of cruise lines do them. Maybe the lines geared more towards families and children mostly do them.

I actually thought it was nice there was no towel animals! I felt it was so much extra work for the hard-working stewards. And I would just as soon no one handled my towels. I didn't need them. Hope this doesn't seem too negative to those who like them. I think in general Princess just doesn't do towel animals, though a lot of cruise lines do them. Maybe the lines geared more towards families and children mostly do them.

Everyone has their own special part of cruising, my girls guard their towel animals like they are plated in gold. I will ask our room steward to keep them coming.

I am a cruise floosie. A few times on many different lines.

Here is my experience

Carnival, Royal: every other day

Disney: daily

Princess: hit or miss. I have only been on the sapphire, our steward was not great. I asked him for some animals and one showed up. Asked for the mini bar to be emptied, he told me to do it.

Hoping for better luck in a few weeks. Other than our cabin steward my only other princess cruise was fantastic.

Everyone has their own special part of cruising, my girls guard their towel animals like they are plated in gold. I will ask our room steward to keep them coming.

Here is my experience

Princess: hit or miss. I have only been on the sapphire, our steward was not great. I asked him for some animals and one showed up. Asked for the mini bar to be emptied, he told me to do it.

Hoping for better luck in a few weeks. Other than our cabin steward my only other princess cruise was fantastic.

On one of my first Princess cruises, I once asked my steward about towel friends. He said he would try...during his time off. I retracted my request. You may be able to get one or two for your twins. I hope you will tip him well for this extra job.

As far as the mini-bar...literally, it is not his job. Only Elites get a mini-bar (deduced from your comment that you probably have only a few cruises with Princess). All of there have maybe water. I am not sure if he can't handle the drinks or didn't want to since Room Service is the party responsible. Not a problem. You can just store them behind the television so you won't be charged.

Just have to ask as I have heard of towel animals, but yet to see any in 17 cruises : is this something they do when children in the room only?

the stewards used to have less cabins to clean, it could be they just don't have the time anymore. They used to do a towel animal demo in the piazza.

Here is my experience

Holland America does it regularly. In August on our 14 day Alaska, we had a different animal each night except for the first night. Our cabin stewards were phenomenal on that trip.

good morning from the Grand….

a few additional observations on our B 2 B…currently cruising southeast off the baja….speed is 21-22 mph so whatever needed to be fixed got fixed….been a bumpy ride since we departed SF….to cold to be outside for my thinned out florida blood but its getting better….we have seen a few passengers who were on board for our hawaii portion. we have a new captain, this one from Scotland…...the crew remains one of the best ever….

Thanks VERY much to the posters who took their time to share thoughts and tips on Cabo and other places to stop…i will try them all…

like others have said , no towel animals on this cruise or our last 10 cruises at least…but as hard as these stewards work i lose no sleep over that, they probably would if they had to do them….. my baby granddaughter would surely disagree with me but personally i like that princess cuts their costs wherever the are able ,so i can afford to keep cruising more….we are paying about the same ..or less sometimes…than we were 5 years ago….there aint no free ride. (except when your ship has a small fire and breaks down off hilo hawaii!!)

one of the interesting things about doing a back 2 back is watching the passenger demographics and personalities change from the last cruise to this one. i dunno if its the 15 day cruise vs. this 10 dayer or hawaii vs. Mexico or what…but there sure is a different group of folks on board going to Mexico…. the passengers at the lunch buffet on this one so far could challenge the patience and good will of the Pope.

if i was king of the world i would limit every passenger to taking no more than 2000 photos of themselves PER DAY , on a 10 day cruise. on this cruise that restriction would upset a whole lot of passengers. ….although i own a canon DLSR and a really, really awesome GoPro…i personally don't see the need to take that many photos of myself or my wife in front of every staircase and wall painting….heck i saw one passenger taking a selfie next to one of those yellow plastic caution signs indicating "wet floor- slippery"..