Flying across "The Pond"...first time in 4 years..

Lois R

Hi girls:)....taking my first River Cruise in April:D...and of course have

to Fly across the Pond;) for it.....sailing out of Amsterdam. The last

time I cruised in Europe was May 2012 so it will be just about 4 years

since that one......

I have a soft pair of pants, I guess some could call them yoga pants.

They are a VERY soft cotton...to me, it is like a sweat pant but a much

nicer style and for an 8 hour flight I want to be comfy. Socks? My

feet tend to swell:rolleyes:.....do ya'll recommend compression socks?

And I upgraded my seat to Economy Plus and have an Aisle seat (my

choice).....so hoping that the 5 extra inches on the floor will help and I

will have to make myself get up and walk a bit on the flight.....Oh, I

always bring some type of cotton jacket/cardigan.......

Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated:)

We did a couple of things - first of all, we found that Economy Plus didn't necessarily mean economy comfort. The seats (to us) seemed to have less padding in them and were very uncomfortable. We ended up using our neck pillows as sitters instead.

Also, we brought along a couple of small beach balls (they blow up to about 3/4 size with 4 or 5 puffs) and used them as foot rests. Because they weren't fully inflated, they didn't roll around, but were very comfortable and aided in keeping your feet raised somewhat. Prior to landing we released the air and stowed them back in our personal carry-on item (hubby has a messenger bag, I have a large tote sized purse).

I find a paschmina is handy; you can use it to accessorize your outfit, but you can use it to keep a cold draft off your face or neck from your seat mate's air flow vent. And ear plugs - you never know if there will be a loud conversation nearby, or an unhappy child, or even someone snoring very loudly.

Enjoy your trip!

Smooth Sailing !:) :) :)

We did a couple of things - first of all, we found that Economy Plus didn't necessarily mean economy comfort. The seats (to us) seemed to have less padding in them and were very uncomfortable. We ended up using our neck pillows as sitters instead.

Also, we brought along a couple of small beach balls (they blow up to about 3/4 size with 4 or 5 puffs) and used them as foot rests. Because they weren't fully inflated, they didn't roll around, but were very comfortable and aided in keeping your feet raised somewhat. Prior to landing we released the air and stowed them back in our personal carry-on item (hubby has a messenger bag, I have a large tote sized purse).

I find a paschmina is handy; you can use it to accessorize your outfit, but you can use it to keep a cold draft off your face or neck from your seat mate's air flow vent. And ear plugs - you never know if there will be a loud conversation nearby, or an unhappy child, or even someone snoring very loudly.

Enjoy your trip!

Smooth Sailing !:) :) :)

Hi, well, I paid the extra money for the seat....hopefully it will be fine:)

Not changing back so will see how it goes........

Ear Plugs......not a bad idea, thanks:)

What airline are you flying? There are big differences in the Economy Plus/Economy Comfort etc offered by various airlines.....

If it is Delta, the seats are the same as economy but they recline further back and you have more legroom. The seat is the same width though.

Getting up occasionally is good. I do wear compression knee-highs that are not too heavy (I guess you'd call them light compression) -- they look more or less like dressy trouser socks and they seem to help a little with that achy-leg feeling you get after a long flight.

Lois, I second, or third, recommend wearing the compression socks and you now can get them in something other than the screaming white.. Also, make sure you get up now and then and walk the aisle a bit. Love the idea of the beach balls as a foot rest. I have an inflatable neck pillow that folds up to nothing, got it at TJMaxx and really cheap.

Do your ankles swell? Mine started after NEVER having a problem for years. I tried all the things people have suggested and what worked for me was dry brushing with a brush from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's crazy but, my ankles now swell anytime I go somewhere, either cruise or land. I don't leave home now without my brush.

What airline are you flying? There are big differences in the Economy Plus/Economy Comfort etc offered by various airlines.....

If it is Delta, the seats are the same as economy but they recline further back and you have more legroom. The seat is the same width though.

Getting up occasionally is good. I do wear compression knee-highs that are not too heavy (I guess you'd call them light compression) -- they look more or less like dressy trouser socks and they seem to help a little with that achy-leg feeling you get after a long flight.

Hi, I am flying United. I called them and was told the feet area has 5

extra inches of room and the seat is larger too.....do you know if that

is correct?

Lois, I second, or third, recommend wearing the compression socks and you now can get them in something other than the screaming white.. Also, make sure you get up now and then and walk the aisle a bit. Love the idea of the beach balls as a foot rest. I have an inflatable neck pillow that folds up to nothing, got it at TJMaxx and really cheap.

Do your ankles swell? Mine started after NEVER having a problem for years. I tried all the things people have suggested and what worked for me was dry brushing with a brush from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's crazy but, my ankles now swell anytime I go somewhere, either cruise or land. I don't leave home now without my brush.

Hi there:)..yes, my ankles swell:(:rolleyes:....I have the brush so will

bring it with me.

Doctors all recommend compression socks. Legacy makes great ones. That also look good. Don't drink anything but lots of water. It won't be extreme comfort but survivable. Watch for sales on Business Class where the real differences can be felt.

Sales in Business Class?.....never heard of that.....and unless it is some

GIANT SALE I doubt I would ever be able to afford it.

I have flown United Economy Plus domestically (to Florida and back) for my last two cruises and found those extra inches do add significantly to your comfort.

Good suggestions already given in previous posts. I especially second the recommendation to bring a pashmina in your carry-on; it looks pretty, can keep you warm, and folds very small into your bag if you don't need it.

If you are flying trans-Atlantic on an overnight flight, I suggest eating a light dinner (no alcohol) in the airport before boarding rather than eating dinner on the flight. Last time I flew to Europe I did that, and then settled in to get some sleep as soon as possible after we were in the air using an inflatable U-shaped neck pillow, earplugs, and blindfold.

Happy cruising.

I always try to wear something that doesn't look "crumpled" after hours and hours and hours of sitting.....and I cannot sleep sitting up at all...so bring sleep aids is a waste, for me!

Well, I can sleep so that is not a problem for me.

is correct?

I don't fly much with United (live in a Delta hub), but after looking it up online it seems to be a very similar product -- more recline and more space between seats is the primary perk. I wouldn't count on a wider seat.

It doesn't look like United even throws in free alcohol, which Delta also does with their Economy Comfort, or whatever they call it now. Not that it matters...

Description: http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/united-airlines/classes/premium-economy-7

I have flown United Economy Plus domestically (to Florida and back) for my last two cruises and found those extra inches do add significantly to your comfort.

Good suggestions already given in previous posts. I especially second the recommendation to bring a pashmina in your carry-on; it looks pretty, can keep you warm, and folds very small into your bag if you don't need it.

If you are flying trans-Atlantic on an overnight flight, I suggest eating a light dinner (no alcohol) in the airport before boarding rather than eating dinner on the flight. Last time I flew to Europe I did that, and then settled in to get some sleep as soon as possible after we were in the air using an inflatable U-shaped neck pillow, earplugs, and blindfold.

Happy cruising.

Hi...yes, I am flying overnight and as for the Pashmina? I prefer to

travel with something I can put my arms in....(that is just me;)). I have

a longer cardigan that is VERY soft cotton...it is a flyaway front style.

I know many gals who use Pashmina's......but I am not one of them.

But thank you for the suggestion.:)

Oh, I do have a U pillow and don't care about a blindfold.

Edited by Lois R

We flew British Air Economy Plus back a few years and the difference was amazing! We both thought it was much like Business Class back when flights also had a First Class area. The following year we flew the same line Economy on a flight back from a transatlantic and never again. We can finally afford business for cruise flights and only take economy for short flights especially on Southwest.

I totally agree on the comfortable, all over top for the often chilly flights. I'm trying to track down a Tommy Bahama Half Zip pullover right now. I want a specific color and it seems to be the most popular. Not the one with the front kangaroo pocket. I seem to have shrunk my current two. They are actually made to make us look slimmer while being both warm and washable. You can layer a pretty print t-shirt or a short sleeve polo under them or add a scarf and you will look great for cool nights on the deck or northern and central Europe can still be very chilly at times in April and these are suitable for sight seeing. And thank you for reminding me to leave my U pillow at home and buy a better one for our Pan-Pacific. Oh, I plan on trying light compression for this flight too. Trouser socks no longer quite do the job. Enjoy the river cruise and please report back on your trip! I am hoping they figure out the docking problems because I really want to do a Christmas season river cruise and go back to the markets I loved when we lived over there but this time using a wheelchair.

We flew British Air Economy Plus back a few years and the difference was amazing! We both thought it was much like Business Class back when flights also had a First Class area. The following year we flew the same line Economy on a flight back from a transatlantic and never again. We can finally afford business for cruise flights and only take economy for short flights especially on Southwest.

I totally agree on the comfortable, all over top for the often chilly flights. I'm trying to track down a Tommy Bahama Half Zip pullover right now. I want a specific color and it seems to be the most popular. Not the one with the front kangaroo pocket. I seem to have shrunk my current two. They are actually made to make us look slimmer while being both warm and washable. You can layer a pretty print t-shirt or a short sleeve polo under them or add a scarf and you will look great for cool nights on the deck or northern and central Europe can still be very chilly at times in April and these are suitable for sight seeing. And thank you for reminding me to leave my U pillow at home and buy a better one for our Pan-Pacific. Oh, I plan on trying light compression for this flight too. Trouser socks no longer quite do the job. Enjoy the river cruise and please report back on your trip! I am hoping they figure out the docking problems because I really want to do a Christmas season river cruise and go back to the markets I loved when we lived over there but this time using a wheelchair.

Hi, not sure I understand some of your thoughts in the 2nd paragraph....

are you giving me suggestions for clothing on the River Cruise?:confused:

I am not a scarf gal and never have been......as for what to wear on deck?

Pants, long sleeves and I will be bringing at least 2 different cardigan

style sweaters. I know what clothing I will be bringing for the cruise.:)

And I can't afford Business class/First Class when flying.

Edited by Lois R

I wear post-surgery thick support stirrups for any long flight. Well, probably any flight... They are two or three times as pricey as compression kneehis, but SO much more comfortable. And effective as can be. Note they are one to a package! be sure to get two!

I generally wear them with gaucho/culottes because they are quite warm on the lower leg by themselves; they are 'skin-colored' but really I don't care about the fashion police in airports/planes...

http://www.amazon.com/Futuro-Therapeutic-Support-Extra-Large/dp/B000052XTQ

After being on an Air India flight with seat too high for my short legs, I bought an inflatable footrest. The beachball would serve the same purpose, I just didn't think of it. I haven't had to use it since but better prepared.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=inflatable+footrest

Hi...yes, I am flying overnight and as for the Pashmina? I prefer to

travel with something I can put my arms in....(that is just me;)). I have

a longer cardigan that is VERY soft cotton...it is a flyaway front style.

I know many gals who use Pashmina's......but I am not one of them.

But thank you for the suggestion.:)

Oh, I do have a U pillow and don't care about a blindfold.

Ah, yes, I see your next cruise is in April (my pashmina suggestion was assuming summer-time) -- definitely a cardigan would be great and the flyaway front will be soft & comfortable for the long flight.

is correct?

Hi Lois!

Check out the seat map on SeatGuru for your specific flight. Lots of info. For us, we always book Premium Economy or Economy as the extra legroom is appreciated. Some airlines are better than others.

For international travel, I fly in a nice pair of black knit pants (nicer yoga pants) and a tunic top with long sleeves. I bring a soft jacket in my carry on as well. I wear my heaviest/bulkiest shoes on the plane.

A few years ago I discovered compression socks and now wear them on the plane as well as when walking long distances in port. We average 6-10 miles per day when in Europe and I find the extra support to be very helpful.

HI Lois, I'm sure you're thrilled and excited for your cruise and trip! We've flown both first and economy comfort from Atlanta to London. While first or business class are absolutely fantastic, we've been very comfortable in EC. You should have plenty of room to stretch out.

I'd suggest bringing some sort of a pillow, especially one that will support your neck. I like to have sweaters or wraps that I can get in or out of without having to bother those in adjacent seats - so nothing that has to be wrestled out of.

Definitely plan on wearing compression hose. People sometimes learn that they have circulatory problem only when they have a long flight. Bring slippers too so you can wriggle your feet around. The aisle seat will help too - get up and move around as much as you can. Do you have a decent set of headphones?

Best, Janine

HI Lois, I'm sure you're thrilled and excited for your cruise and trip! We've flown both first and economy comfort from Atlanta to London. While first or business class are absolutely fantastic, we've been very comfortable in EC. You should have plenty of room to stretch out.

I'd suggest bringing some sort of a pillow, especially one that will support your neck. I like to have sweaters or wraps that I can get in or out of without having to bother those in adjacent seats - so nothing that has to be wrestled out of.

Definitely plan on wearing compression hose. People sometimes learn that they have circulatory problem only when they have a long flight. Bring slippers too so you can wriggle your feet around. The aisle seat will help too - get up and move around as much as you can. Do you have a decent set of headphones?

Best, Janine

Hi Janine, hope you and Geoff are doing well:)......

I don't own any headphones.....decent ones or non...;)...

Slippers? I don't own any of them either. I have some mocs....but with

an open back...easy on/easy off and I booked aisle seats for just that

reason......easy in, easy out:)

Hi Janine, hope you and Geoff are doing well:)......

I don't own any headphones.....decent ones or non...;)...

Slippers? I don't own any of them either. I have some mocs....but with

an open back...easy on/easy off and I booked aisle seats for just that

reason......easy in, easy out:)

Lois, I have flown several times across both ponds, as well as driving CA to MI, and now back again. I STRONGLY recommend compression socks, and an inflatable travel footrest. I use these two items on all flights and long car trips. If you haven't seen the thread on this board about swollen feet, it has great remedies (including mine :D).

Oh, boy, Europe in Spring! Gorgeous!

Edited by pcur

Lois, I have flown several times across both ponds, as well as driving CA to MI, and now back again. I STRONGLY recommend compression socks, and an inflatable travel footrest. I use these two items on all flights and long car trips. If you haven't seen the thread on this board about swollen feet, it has great remedies (including mine :D).

Oh, boy, Europe in Spring! Gorgeous!

Yes, I have seen that thread......thanks:) it is one of many threads

about that topic I have seen over the years......nothing has ever

really helped me though (to be totally honest about it). Some remedies

may help some folks but we all have different bodies/metabolisms.....

My temp changes often on a flight so I put my sweater/ jacket on backwards ( arms towards the back with the front open on the sides of my body). That way it is easy to take on and off. You don't really need anything on your back if you are in the seat and it just gets bunched up anyway.

Works great for me.....of course no slipovers....cardigans only.