Secret sands in St. Thomas who has been?

screamin400

Just went to Secret Sands on Celebrity cruise over Thanksgiving. It was a beautiful secluded beach and there wasn't 30 of us on the whole beach. Only bad part is there was a sharp drop-off of about 2 feet approx. 30 feet from shore. There was also a severe undertow which made it difficult to climb up the drop when exiting the water. 87cca9e49763bc7aea872f43f6eff58b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Looks like a fine excursion that I cannot find out a whole lot about. Seems fairly new. Some folks say it comes with rum drinks but nothing on RC site. Anyone been there?

I did that excursion in May. A pretty good and uncrowded beach. Royal Caribbean does not provide the rum drinks, the excursion operator is providing them. I believe he is hoping for a tip. Which he did deserve for his service.

Just went to Secret Sands on Celebrity cruise over Thanksgiving. It was a beautiful secluded beach and there wasn't 30 of us on the whole beach. Only bad part is there was a sharp drop-off of about 2 feet approx. 30 feet from shore. There was also a severe undertow which made it difficult to climb up the drop when exiting the water. 87cca9e49763bc7aea872f43f6eff58b.jpg

I didn't have any problem with the drop off but that was in May. I don't know if you noticed the day you were there but there were a couple of lifeguards when I was there. They were sitting in chairs under the trees.

I was there in October. There is a drop off. I didn't have a problem getting out of the water, but there were a few that needed an extra hand to get out.

There was a man with a few coolers serving free drinks - soda, water, beer and some type of mixed drink (I don't know what it was, but everyone seemed to like it) He also had some small bags of snacks. Yes he was tipped by all before they left.

The beach is great and there were only about 25 people the day I went. There are lounge chairs, and a new restroom, but it is a little bit of walk to get there.

There is also no where to go, except under the trees if it rains.

The only complaint I had when I went, was the open air bus we were on, it was making some very strange loud noises, and had terrible exhaust fumes. People were holding towels over their faces. That combined with the steep winding roads was a little scary.

If I could avoid the open air bus, I would definitely go back.

I didn't have any problem with the drop off but that was in May. I don't know if you noticed the day you were there but there were a couple of lifeguards when I was there. They were sitting in chairs under the trees.

Lifeguards were late, showed up just as we were ready to leave.

Oh No you are letting the secret out was just their in Nov. on Allure and loved it, soda and rum-punch was included will be going back next year. I too hope they change the open air bus the fumes were bad with all the stop and go traffic.

Gary

Oh No you are letting the secret out was just their in Nov. on Allure and loved it, soda and rum-punch was included will be going back next year. I too hope they change the open air bus the fumes were bad with all the stop and go traffic.

Gary

Must enjoy the secret while we can. They have plans for it. Like what they have at Megan's.

We did this excursion in October. Water was clear and warm - did not notice a drop off where we were. Lounge chairs were provided for all - no extra cost, but no umbrellas. Various sodas, beer, and punch was served by a young man on the island - he also provided bags of chips and packs of peanut butter crackers for all - also part of cost of excursion. I found this much more relaxing than Megan's bay - only about 40 people on entire beach - very relaxing, nice beach. I would go back again - no crowds and beach chairs for all. Everyone tipped the young man when we left as he was accommodating with chairs and generous with snacks and drinks. He also provided noodles for floating in the water - again no charge for those. Hope they keep this excursion - on way back to ship stopped on hillside for a great view of harbor and all ships docked - great pic opportunity. Go for it!

• 5 weeks later...

That's no secret...that is Lindquist Bay or Smith Bay Beach (goes by either/or). We were there several years ago...but a great beach mostly only locals know about...next to Sapphire Beach. Wondered when the cruise lines would finally start using it. Looks like it won't be the secret it was for very long. You can save some money by having taxi take you there for $10. Then an attendent charges $2 pp to get in.

Beware, there are serious bug problems there wear repellent.

29c9ugx.jpg

Here is a great YouTube video of it which was responsible for our choice to go there:

Edited by BecciBoo

That's no secret...that is Lindquist Bay or Smith Bay Beach (goes by either/or). We were there several years ago...but a great beach mostly only locals know about...next to Sapphire Beach. Wondered when the cruise lines would finally start using it. Looks like it won't be the secret it was for very long. You can save some money by having taxi take you there for $10. Then an attendent charges $2 pp to get in.

Beware, there are serious bug problems there wear repellent.

I didn't have any bug problems.

As far as taking a taxi I didn't see any there so would have to ask the taxi driver to come back to pick up. Also there are no chair rentals. So while usually I don't do cruise line excursions, I consider $50 to be a good deal as it included transportation worth at least $20 and a lounge chair and the $2. Plus the bonus of non alcoholic and alcoholic beverages. The beach was great and as can be seen from the photos, which are like when I went. Pretty much our small excursion group had the the beach to ourselves.

I do think too that it won't remain a secret as the local government does have plans to make improvements to the facilities and access.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, no loungers but picnic tables/benches. We used these for all our stuff and we were in water all day, no need for loungers. Time of year may have been the problem for bugs, we were there Thanksgiving 2013. I still have a couple bumpy scars from bug bites I got while there, everyone was covered in these bites and there was some discussion as to just what they were...some said sand fleas but I think they were Noseeums because I saw them flying around. Couple of my peeps itched and scratched for the rest of the trip. Was pretty miserable. We do repellent now whatever beach we are on...don't want to repeat it ever. Just a precaution.

That trip we rented a car(never again), but you can get taxi to come back, it is done all the time. If loungers/drinks are there now, it may just be a vender so you may be able to purchase those anyway. Just relaying our experience.:cool:

Here is a recent google review was not a ship excursion:

Cost 4 dollars for non resident adults and kids under 12 are free. Great clean beach with lifeguards, facilities (showers too) and picnic tables. Family had great time exploring the reefs here. Was quit and peaceful there.

Sounds much improved since we were there, no lifeguards and only a portable potty at that time.

Edited by BecciBoo

Yes, no loungers but picnic tables/benches. We used these for all our stuff and we were in water all day, no need for loungers. Time of year may have been the problem for bugs, we were there Thanksgiving 2013. I still have a couple bumpy scars from bug bites I got while there, everyone was covered in these bites and there was some discussion as to just what they were...some said sand fleas but I think they were Noseeums because I saw them flying around. Couple of my peeps itched and scratched for the rest of the trip. Was pretty miserable. We do repellent now whatever beach we are on...don't want to repeat it ever. Just a precaution.

That trip we rented a car(never again), but you can get taxi to come back, it is done all the time. If loungers/drinks are there now, it may just be a vender so you may be able to purchase those anyway. Just relaying our experience.:cool:

Here is a recent google review was not a ship excursion:

Cost 4 dollars for non resident adults and kids under 12 are free. Great clean beach with lifeguards, facilities (showers too) and picnic tables. Family had great time exploring the reefs here. Was quit and peaceful there.

Sounds much improved since we were there, no lifeguards and only a portable potty at that time.

We were there this past May. So that could account for the bug difference. I always do carry bug spray to any beach. I am the over prepare type. I don't recall showers then so that must be very recent. They did say they were going to improve the facilities so I guess they did! As far as the chairs I did not see a chair vender, they seemed exclusive for the excursion. The same government authority that does Megans and collects the fee there is responsible for this beach, and there is chair rental at Megans, so I expect that there will be chair rentals, and food for sale, sooner or later, probably soon.

That also means though that the beach will not remain uncrowded........

This looks promising for us because we were looking for something to do @ St. Thomas next month.

On the RCI page, it says that beach chair & bottled water are included.

I have seen various comments on this thread in regards to what is provided to sit on. For anyone that has booked this through RCI, can you tell me what the "beach chair" provided is?

We did this excursion in October. Water was clear and warm - did not notice a drop off where we were. Lounge chairs were provided for all - no extra cost, but no umbrellas. Various sodas, beer, and punch was served by a young man on the island - he also provided bags of chips and packs of peanut butter crackers for all - also part of cost of excursion. I found this much more relaxing than Megan's bay - only about 40 people on entire beach - very relaxing, nice beach. I would go back again - no crowds and beach chairs for all. Everyone tipped the young man when we left as he was accommodating with chairs and generous with snacks and drinks. He also provided noodles for floating in the water - again no charge for those. Hope they keep this excursion - on way back to ship stopped on hillside for a great view of harbor and all ships docked - great pic opportunity. Go for it!

Agree. We just did this excursion in December, highlight of the trip!!! So beautiful, very calm and relaxing day. :) (clean bathrooms and showers also)

Just a regular lounger chair - great to tan on!

We did this in December, totally enjoyed the quiet, lovely beach. Yes, we went in the stinky, open-air bus, there were two of them. I got the impression that these are the "taxis" that they use to shuttle people around. I saw other similar open air buses. The only people on the beach who were supposed to use the loungers were the ones on our excursion. There were extra chairs, and some people not on our excursion used them. The local man providing our drinks/crackers and the lifeguards had a discussion with the folks who "borrowed" the loungers, they must have worked something out. I spoke to a woman from a Carnival ship, and she asked me if she could buy beverages from our guy. I said she should ask him, and, sure enough she got some drinks, and he increased his cash flow :) The rum punch he made was good and we enjoyed the outing very much!

I went on this excursion on my recent cruise and boy it was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It starts on an open taxi drive that takes about 30 minutes going to the other side of the island into a park. then you arrive and are greeted by a nice man who takes care of everyone from the excursion. you will have loungers, snorkeling gear, kids toys, floating noodles, sodas, waters, beers, and rum punch. as much as you want. all included in your excursion but he does stress the tip part, which he deserved a little something extra, the guy will help you with anything from getting you drinks to moving your lounger to anywhere you want. the water is crystal clear and no buildings around. the beach had maybe 50-100 people when i was there but its not crowded at all. the swim are is all sand but if you swim just past, there is a huge reef full of colorful fish. i think we had 3 hours on the beach total. then we left on the same taxi and stopped at one of the highest peaks where we could take pictures of the bay ( overlooking where the cruise ships park) and then back to the pier. In total it was 4.5 hours. and was hands down amazing. totally worth it. I will do this again if I go back!

my little review :)

im not sure if it is att specific but i did see people using their phones, and since it was USVI there was no roaming

AT&T has its own towers in the Virgin Islands so no roaming for those who have it. But some of the other US carriers don't and roam there. Verizon for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk