Steakhouse whats your opinion?

CJHAN

I'm sure after 25 years, they really don't need "sweet talk"!

Speak for yourself, cb. DH and I have been married many more than 25 years and still enjoy "sweet talk" now and again. I feel bad that you obviously don't.

I'm kind of shocked to hear all of the negative feedback regarding the Steakhouse. My wife and I have decided to go for the first time during our upcoming February cruise (well, my first time but nor hers); after reading some of the responses, I'm almost wondering if we should just stick to the MDR instead.

I've always heard the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was spectacular...and while I typically take negative things on the board with a grain of salt, I'm thinking maybe the Steakhouses are slipping to the point of not being worth the extra $35. It's food for thought, I guess.

We had an amazing dining experience in the steakhouse. Was our dinner the norm or was it the outlier? From conversations we had with other passengers who cruise Carnival frequently also had positive experiences. Form your own opinion, give it a chance. Then let us know what you thought of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I believe it is elegant night the second night. We can't go the first night because Camp Carnival isn't open yet and we don't think our 5 year old is ready for the steakhouse. We respect that many expect it to be a quiet/romantic place to get away.

That's very thoughtful of you. :)

I'm sure after 25 years, they really don't need "sweet talk"!

We've been married 54 years, still enjoy "sweet talk", especially in a romantic atmosphere. And...........we like a specialty restaurant (usually a steakhouse) on the first night of any cruise line; the MDR is usually sort of "frantic".

I was poking around on the RCCL board and saw that the specialty restaurant prices are going up. I hope Carnival doesn't follow suit.

Princess's coffee cards are also going up. It's discouraging.

Probably just as discouraged as Carnival/princess/RCCL are at having to pay wage increases. :rolleyes:

What is the opinion of the free wine offered on the lst night? I have to tell you, I am not much a "true wine drinker" but rather buy the boxed or jug wines and pour a glass and top with lemon lime soda for a "spritzer." So if I ordered the free white wine on lst night, how weird would it be if I had a can of Sprite and topped my glass off with a shot of it??? I am thinking I am going to look like a total hick! :o:o

• 2 weeks later...

I just made reservations for David's Steak House on the Pride. I did this on the CCL website. They listed times of 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 or 9:00. I picked 6:00 but would prefer maybe 6:30. Would it be okay to show up 1/2 hour late or is there any way I can ask to be switched to 6:30 or should I just "grin and bear it" and show up at my appointed 6:00? :confused:

What is the opinion of the free wine offered on the lst night? I have to tell you, I am not much a "true wine drinker" but rather buy the boxed or jug wines and pour a glass and top with lemon lime soda for a "spritzer." So if I ordered the free white wine on lst night, how weird would it be if I had a can of Sprite and topped my glass off with a shot of it??? I am thinking I am going to look like a total hick! :o:o

In the steakhouse, they always do their best to make you happy so asking for a can of Sprite is just fine. Enjoy the steakhouse.:cool:

I just made reservations for David's Steak House on the Pride. I did this on the CCL website. They listed times of 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 or 9:00. I picked 6:00 but would prefer maybe 6:30. Would it be okay to show up 1/2 hour late or is there any way I can ask to be switched to 6:30 or should I just "grin and bear it" and show up at my appointed 6:00? :confused:

Two options. Show up on time or cancel and make a new reservation. Show up late and you may not to get sit period as they will give your reserved table away to someone who is waiting (as they should).

But why is this question even being asked? What happened to manners?

Edited by Who Cares?

Two options. Show up on time or cancel and make a new reservation. Show up late and you may not to get sit period as they will give your reserved table away to someone who is waiting (as they should).

But why is this question even being asked? What happened to manners?

We are ALWAYS on time. Never even been 5 minutes late to MDR when we had early seating. They only offered the reservations "on the hour" but I know there are people who are going at 6:30 and just wondered if the reservation times are rigid or if it's "okay" to be a bit late. No big deal for us to go at 6, but 7 is too late and 6:30 is just a bit better. Just wondered! :o:o

The letter we received in our cabin reminding us of our reservation said that they would only hold it for 15 minutes beyond the scheduled time. I would think you would have better luck setting it for a time and showing up early rather than late. JMHO. Of course when we were there they had plenty of available tables, so who knows?

The letter we received in our cabin reminding us of our reservation said that they would only hold it for 15 minutes beyond the scheduled time. I would think you would have better luck setting it for a time and showing up early rather than late. JMHO. Of course when we were there they had plenty of available tables, so who knows?

Okay, thanks from one Karen to another!!! :p

We are ALWAYS on time. Never even been 5 minutes late to MDR when we had early seating. They only offered the reservations "on the hour" but I know there are people who are going at 6:30 and just wondered if the reservation times are rigid or if it's "okay" to be a bit late. No big deal for us to go at 6, but 7 is too late and 6:30 is just a bit better. Just wondered! :o:o

Okay, I'll accept it as an honest question and not another "how can I get over on someone" type of question. If you have booked for 6 and have friends going at 6:30, just cancel and rebook at 6:30. Problem solved. :)

Edited by Who Cares?

Okay, I'll accept it as an honest question and not another "how can I get over on someone" type of question. If you have booked for 6 and have friends going at 6:30, just cancel and rebook at 6:30. Problem solved. :)

That's my point: there WAS no 6:30! :confused: There was no 7:30, 8:30....they were all on the hour reservations! :confused::confused: Otherwise I would have booked 6:30 to begin with lol. I booked on the CCL website. Those are the only time "options" to choose from. In the scheme of life, it's no big deal! ;)

Oh, and they aren't our friends. Not even on the same cruise! I was just reading some Pride threads and people mentioned that they were going to steak house at 6:30, someone else said they were going at 7:30...I will go at 6:00 with an empty stomach and dreams of a fabulous dinner! (our lst time ever at a steak house! :D)

I tried it once, it was good, but not so great that I would pay the additional fee to try it again. I'm not a steak eater -- I had lobster -- so a steak eater might have a different and better founded point of view on the question.

It seems like most people who try the steak house enjoy it, based past postings. So if anyone is tempted to try it, I wouldn't let a couple of poor reviews change your mind.

OP perhaps it was an "off day", maybe the chef was not working due to some reason and somebody else replaced him/she for that day.

I been on a number of Carnival ships and we always dine in the steakhouse its always been excellent, flawless and I am very picky (I dine at 4/5 star restaurants when I am on land based vacations, I am very fussy with my food and expect wonderful excellent tasting quality food).

On the Valor this past may we dined at the steakhouse 7 out of 8 nights, and each time it always was excellent overall, the service was remarkable!

I had pretty much everything on the menu and all my steaks were made as I ordered perfect.

I say give it a try again. The food is definitely worth the $30$35 a person, you won't get that quality in the MDR unless you order the up charge items which I did last month on the Fascination (she did not have a steakhouse) and I tried all three items and always was perfect and they were only $20 each.

Edited by lyndamr