Pets On Board RCC Cruise

sjh422

How do you know that? While a seeing eye dog may be quite obvious, a small dog who is trained to detect seizures or diabetic issues, maybe not so much. An acquaintance has been in a hospital in Germany for a couple of months as she left her little dog home due to difficulties traveling through Europe with him. She went into a diabetic coma in the hotel and wasn't found for hours. Our grandson suffers frequent seizures. The dog will wake his parents if one is coming on so they can both get some sleep at night.

Don't judge if you don't have the facts.

Don't judge people judging people if you don't know all their facts.

Part of the certification process is teaching the animals how to behave around humans in many environments and how to behave around other service animals. A leashed yorkie that runs between your legs on the stairs is not a properly trained service animal regardless of what the $50 vest says.

From the ADA's website:

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?

A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?

A. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program.

Q6. Are service-animals-in-training considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No. Under the ADA, the dog must already be trained before it can be taken into public places. However, some State or local laws cover animals that are still in training.

From the ADA's website:

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?

A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?

A. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program.

Q6. Are service-animals-in-training considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No. Under the ADA, the dog must already be trained before it can be taken into public places. However, some State or local laws cover animals that are still in training.

And once the animal sets paw onboard, any state or local laws go out the window, and only the ADA applies, as the ship is foreign territory.

I wonder if that applies in the Galveston, TX port. They control the liquor there using local laws.

With regard to liquor, I believe the ship has to be 12 miles offshore before they can be free of Texas liquor laws.

Yes, and I misspoke before, when I said therapy dogs were not covered by the ADA. It was before my morning coffee, and I meant emotional support dogs, not therapy dogs, which are covered by ADA.

For the record you did not miss-speak earlier regarding Therapy dogs not being covered by ADA.

The USA Department of Justice does NOT recognize Therapy Animals, Emotion Animals and Companion Animals under ADA Law. This is all clearly stated in this link http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html along with the actual definition of a Service Animal.

I wonder if that applies in the Galveston, TX port. They control the liquor there using local laws.

I think my statement was a little simplistic. Local law governs out to the 12 mile limit. However, in Specter v. NCL, the US Supreme Court ruling that found that foreign flag cruise ships had to comply with some aspects of the ADA, the court ruled that without a clear decision by Congress to the effect that all aspects of the ADA would apply to foreign ships, that the cruise line's internal operating policies and procedures (i.e. having to provide hearing devices or allowing service animals throughout the ship) were none of the court's business. To date, Congress has not amended the ADA to specifically include foreign flag ships, which is why the settlement between Carnival and the DOJ surprises me in many of its aspects.

We cruise to get AWAY from our pets, no rescue, no emails begging us to save this dog/cat, no vet visits, no cleaning, scooping, medicating, no being woken up at 3 am because two of them decide to try to kill each other, etc. I am happy to be away from the little ingrates for 8-9 days :D

We love our furbabies but we also love leaving them behind for those much needed, once a year cruises :p

I totally agree. I have a 100% legit service dog that is trained to do numerous tasks for me. It would be almost impossible to love a dog as much as I love my Allie but its like having a child. We need a break once in a while! So when I cruise, she stays with her trainer and is just happy as can be. Even though she is very well trained, I would never subject her to such close quarters and thousands of people. Plus I refuse to be glared at by dog haters. I dont notice it out in public nor could I care less but Im sure I would notice it on a ship.

Also, shes a Lab that has a HUGE love for water. It would be hard keeping her out of the pool :D:o

Here is Allie at my job, a college, where everyone loves her. When I cruise, she stays on land though. :)

Allie_1.jpg

I think my statement was a little simplistic. Local law governs out to the 12 mile limit. However, in Specter v. NCL, the US Supreme Court ruling that found that foreign flag cruise ships had to comply with some aspects of the ADA, the court ruled that without a clear decision by Congress to the effect that all aspects of the ADA would apply to foreign ships, that the cruise line's internal operating policies and procedures (i.e. having to provide hearing devices or allowing service animals throughout the ship) were none of the court's business. To date, Congress has not amended the ADA to specifically include foreign flag ships, which is why the settlement between Carnival and the DOJ surprises me in many of its aspects.

The DOJ settlement was ghastly considering that the ships aren't US flagged and don't operate primarily in the US (just embarkation and disembarkation and sometimes a US port).

That being said, the settlement was recent (6 months ago?) and you better believe the conniving wolves at the DOJ will jump on as many financial settlements as possible with all the cruiselines that port in the US.

I believe that disabled people should have options -- but I also know more than a few personal contacts whose so-called disabilities create an unrealistic burden on businesses.

Furthermore ADA only applies if the ship actually embarks from a USA Port.

Yep, which is why so many people are upset when the European river cruises don't meet the ADA. I haven't thought about it, but that would discount all cruises starting in Canada from having to meet the ADA, though the ships usually change home port seasonally, so they would eventually embark in the US.

I totally agree. I have a 100% legit service dog that is trained to do numerous tasks for me. It would be almost impossible to love a dog as much as I love my Allie but its like having a child. We need a break once in a while! So when I cruise, she stays with her trainer and is just happy as can be. Even though she is very well trained, I would never subject her to such close quarters and thousands of people. Plus I refuse to be glared at by dog haters. I dont notice it out in public nor could I care less but Im sure I would notice it on a ship.

Also, shes a Lab that has a HUGE love for water. It would be hard keeping her out of the pool :D:o

Here is Allie at my job, a college, where everyone loves her. When I cruise, she stays on land though. :)

Allie_1.jpg

She has gotten so big! I remember when you posted a picture of her when she was just a puppy and hadn't gone to school yet.:)

Was just on the Oasis of the Seas and a lady had a dog with her. The 4 by 4 area was on deck 5, right off the exercise track near the outdoor steps that went up to deck 6. There was a 4 by 4 area of grass and a 4 by 4 area of dirt. I guess the dog gets a choice lol.

Allie_1.jpg

She is so cute :) labs are the best dogs!

I would rather be on a ship with dogs than kids...but to each their own right.

For some people, their dogs are like kids to them or maybe the only companion they have in life.

Based on my experience I have seen with dogs on board, they are much quieter, well behaved and cuter than most kids.....actually compared to a lot of adults on board as well...lol

That should get some responses....but its my opinion just like those who don't like or think dogs should be on ships.....fair is fair!

Touchè! I stick to the smaller ships and off season so the amount of kids are reduced. The skee ball machine in the video arcades are mine! All mine!

And I believe its against the law for anyone to ask for further paper work to prove that the animal is a service dog.

Honestly, I think its absolutely terrible (if its not really a service dog).

You are correct that requesting documentation violates ADA Law.

Per the USA Department of Justice with reference to ADA Law in situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions:

• Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  • What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

Edited by xxoocruiser

While a few people may abuse the real definition of a service dog in order to take their beloved Fido on a cruise, the ports of call are not nearly as accommodating as the cruise line. Some, like Jamaica, refuse to let any animal, service or not, into their country. Others charge a hefty fee. I believe Cayman Island is $150. Most also require a current veterinarian certificate.

The DOJ settlement was ghastly considering that the ships aren't US flagged and don't operate primarily in the US (just embarkation and disembarkation and sometimes a US port).

That being said, the settlement was recent (6 months ago?) and you better believe the conniving wolves at the DOJ will jump on as many financial settlements as possible with all the cruiselines that port in the US.

I believe that disabled people should have options -- but I also know more than a few personal contacts whose so-called disabilities create an unrealistic burden on businesses.

While I applaud the action to provide more and varied accessible cabins, I feel that the settlement, which essentially places the ships completely under the ADA's full provisions goes too far. I know that some HAL or Princess ships have a lounge that is currently only accessible via stairs. How much is it going to cost to make this one venue totally accessible?

I would rather be on a ship with dogs than kids...but to each their own right.

If it was any other situation, I'd agree but dogs in close proximity to each other tend to howl and bark and growl. Can you imagine the ruckus of multiple dogs were on balconies or started barking through the walls. There's also the issue of defecation outside of the 'relief areas'. With kids that have the same issue they seem to mostly segregated in the royal babies areas. I only once had an issue of a crying baby on my last trip for instance. For dogs, especially service ones, that's a little more difficult.

With all the strict guidelines of trying to maintain cleanliness I wonder who is responsible for "cleaning" up after the service dog?

Do they have a special walk area.............I

I guess what I am questioning is if a person is truly debilitated and needs the service dog for assistance...........who services the dogs......um bathroom needs, for clean-up?

Thanks

With all the strict guidelines of trying to maintain cleanliness I wonder who is responsible for "cleaning" up after the service dog?

I guess what I am questioning is if a person is truly debilitated and needs the service dog for assistance...........who services the dogs......um bathroom needs, for clean-up?

Thanks

There is a small area, usually on the outside promenade deck, for the dog to do their thing. Crew cleans this area.

Edited by clarea

Thanks

Trained service dogs are trained to go only on command and/or on a specific substance. Either the disabled person or their companions are responsible for walking the dog and taking care of it's bathroom needs. This is not the crews responsibility. The ship will provide a "litter box" in an out of the way area of the promenade deck, which will be serviced by the crew a couple of times a day. The clean-up must be "red bagged" in biohazard bags, and burned in the incinerator. These requirements are all part of the USPH sanitation program.

Thanks

As some have pointed out people need service dogs for varying reasons. Most, although they have a disability, can still maintain their animal. Additionally most will be traveling with a friend or family member who can assist them. They may only need the service animal if they are alone. The crew cleans out the litter box which is typically located near an aft stair case on the promenade deck. An area not often frequented by passengers.