Does Carnival Allow...

kelkel2

Power strips? I have a small one that I plan on packing in my husband's c-pap bag. Mainly, I just don't want to constantly switch out the outlets. My husband will likely have his c-pap always plugged in, and I wanted to bring a small travel power strip so that my iPad and camera charger could be charged without constantly swapping out the plugs. Also there's hair dryers and flat irons etc and the issue with Carnival having one outlet...

This is what I am planning on brining.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450450627&sr=8-4&keywords=travel+power+strip

Also there's the question of if by chance they're not allowed, would they actually search his carried on c-pap bag and take it away? I'm usually a follow the rules kind of person, but this is pretty important to me.

Power strips? I have a small one that I plan on packing in my husband's c-pap bag. Mainly, I just don't want to constantly switch out the outlets. My husband will likely have his c-pap always plugged in, and I wanted to bring a small travel power strip so that my iPad and camera charger could be charged without constantly swapping out the plugs. Also there's hair dryers and flat irons etc and the issue with Carnival having one outlet...

This is what I am planning on brining.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450450627&sr=8-4&keywords=travel+power+strip

Also there's the question of if by chance they're not allowed, would they actually search his carried on c-pap bag and take it away? I'm usually a follow the rules kind of person, but this is pretty important to me.

Hi, Kelley. I pack a power strip in my checked luggage on every Carnival cruise and have never had a problem. As long as its in good working order, you should be fine.

Check out the "Exceptions" section of Carnival's FAQ page:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1MDQ1MzI2MS9zaWQvKnhoNEdoRW0=

Edited by winddawn

I have always brought one, (11 Cruises) I just put it in my suite case. The room Stewart has never said anything to me about having one. I have never had one taken away.

I had a small issue at the Orlando port when I forgot mine at home and bought on during the port call. The security officer at the terminal stopped me and told me he did not think I could bring it on board. But his partner told him it was alright. Other than that I have had no issues.

Hi, Kelley. I pack a power strip in my checked luggage on every Carnival cruise and have never had a problem. As long as its in good working order, you should be fine.

Check out the "Exceptions" section of Carnival's FAQ page:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1MDQ1MzI2MS9zaWQvKnhoNEdoRW0=

Thank you! I found the segment about it! I just feel like I've read more than once on these boards about people having them taken away. Hopefully if we carry it on with medical equipment that won't happen, but it sounds like they should be allowed no matter what!

We have never had a problems getting a power strip through in checked luggage. I always pack it right on top so it they are going to take it they don't have to go through all of my stuff.

I always bring one that's in good order and I don't leave it plugged in or out in the open when we are not in the cabin.

Thank you! I found the segment about it! I just feel like I've read more than once on these boards about people having them taken away. Hopefully if we carry it on with medical equipment that won't happen, but it sounds like they should be allowed no matter what!

If yours has a surge protector it is not allowed.

The Belkin one you posted a link to does have a surge protector, so it's not allowed, unfortunately.

This is what I used a couple months ago on the Dream. No surge protector.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=434482&Q=&O=&m=Y&gclid=CLjpzaHj5ckCFYGCaQodtA4DCg&is=REG&ap=y&A=details

Why can't I have a surge protector? I wouldn't want our expensive medial equipment plugged into something without a surge protector. Same with an iPad or camera. We would always use a surge protector.

The Belkin one you posted a link to does have a surge protector, so it's not allowed, unfortunately.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=434482&Q=&O=&m=Y&gclid=CLjpzaHj5ckCFYGCaQodtA4DCg&is=REG&ap=y&A=details

I have that exact one (the Belkin) and I've never had a problem on any cruise line.

(BTW, if you're looking for additional outlets, there's usually one behind the TV)

Why can't I have a surge protector? I wouldn't want our expensive medial equipment plugged into something without a surge protector. Same with an iPad or camera. We would always use a surge protector.

the electricity on a ship is different from that in your home. I believe it can be problematic to the ship so they do not allow it.

I assume some get through but you are taking a chance. they specifically say that surge suppressors are not allowed

It has something to do with the way the ship is wired. It is a fire hazard. They are strictly prohibited, so it really doesn't matter why. It is also irrelevant if others have used it or gotten away with it. They can and should be confiscated. No cord is worth risking everyone's safety over.

There will be naysayers and such, but this is a rule that Carnival has in place for people's safety. They make no money by disallowing them (unlike some of the other "safety measures" such as no alcohol room delivery the night before, etc.). Please just follow the rules.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I have often answered this question. As others have noted, the grounding of electrical systems onboard ship is different from shoreside, and the ship's power is less likely to experience a power surge, and lightning will not affect the electrical system, as it passes down through the hull.

Here is the USCG safety notice regarding the dangers of using surge protectors on shipboard wiring systems, which is the basis for the ban on surge suppressors:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

And I have been questioned several times to explain why surge suppressors are dangerous, and here is a thread by cavediving who went to the trouble to get an explanation from some electrical experts, and in particular see post #10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

Many times the Belkin power "block" is passed over in security screening because it doesn't look like a power strip. Many here on CC have used them for years with no problem, but as the explanation by cavediving shows, the older the surge suppressor is, and the more times it is used in an electrical system that does not meet it's grounding requirements, the more likely it is to fail.

It takes a little more work, but you can find both multi-plugs and USB chargers that are not surge suppressors, and they are generally cheaper than the surge suppressor types.

This has an Integrated Circuit Breaker. Isn't that a surge protector? It was hidden under 'All Features'

We just bring a household three foot, three outlet extension cord. About $2 at Target.

DD brought home an European two pin USB port from Italy. Works great on the ship and keeps the American outlet free.

Edited by SadieN

I normally bring a brand new cheap brown 6 foot extension cord that has three plugins at the end. They've never taken it.

While these "lamp cord" type of extension cords are within the guidelines of the cruise lines, and are compact and easy to pack, depending on what you are plugging into the end (in total), you may be overloading the 18awg conductors in theses cords, and the heavier "round" type of extension cord (think outdoor use) may be more appropriate.

In layman's terms, on land, a surge is sent to ground. On ship, there is no where for the surge to go except back where it came, which can cause major problems. That is why they are not allowed.

Actually, no. On a ship, you could ground things to the ship's hull, which is perfectly grounded through the sea water, but these stray ground circuits cause electrolytic corrosion of the hull, so grounding to the hull is not desirable. Ships electrical systems do have a ground wire, but the ground is not connected to a ground stake like ashore (or its equivalent at sea of the hull), but back to the neutral point of the generator. If there was no ground, there would be no shock protection.

This has an Integrated Circuit Breaker. Isn't that a surge protector? It was hidden under 'All Features'

We just bring a household three foot, three outlet extension cord. About $2 at Target.

DD brought home an European two pin USB port from Italy. Works great on the ship and keeps the American outlet free.

An integrated circuit breaker is not a surge protector, it is merely an overcurrent protection for the devices plugged in. It opens the circuit when too much current is drawn. A surge protector protects the devices from over voltage. This opens a current path from the normal conductors to the ground conductor when too much voltage is found. If a multi-plug like this has a small green LED that says "protected" on it, then it is a surge protector. However, if a power strip has a switch with an indicator light on it, this is not an indication of a surge protector, though many cheap power strips with surge protectors will not have the little "protected" LED. Sometimes you need to look at the technical data or on the device itself, and if you see words like "XXX joules of protection", that indicates there is a surge protection device included.

That device does have a surge protector inside.

Edited by chengkp75

Circuit breakers and surge protectors are not the same thing. Do a simple google search and you can see that for yourself.

With that being said, since Carnival had only prohibited surge protectors, I can only assume that it's only surge protectors causing a problem.

Circuit breakers and surge protectors are not the same thing. Do a simple google search and you can see that for yourself.

With that being said, since Carnival had only prohibited surge protectors, I can only assume that it's only surge protectors causing a problem.

I'd rather read ChengKP75's explanation from an hour before.

Edited by SadieN

I hope that the cabin next to me and the one next to them abides by the rules and keeps all of us safe.

I just hope that just because they have used a surge protector in the past, they realize that the rules apply to all and is for the safety of all.

I would hate to see a Carnival ship, or any cruise line's ship, on the evening news because of a fire started by some selfish individual who felt the rules don't apply to them.

I called Carnival "special needs dept" because I was not sure what kind of plug I needed and they will have one waiting in the cabin for me. Also a gallon of water ($3.00) but better than carrying that on board. If you don't bring one, you can always go to desk and get one or ask room stewart and they will bring you one.