Carnival Sunshine or Liberty of the Seas

Carnival Sunshine or Liberty of the Seas  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival Sunshine or Liberty of the Seas

• Carnival Sunshine
    • Liberty of the Seas

I am torn between Carnival Sunshine and Liberty of the Seas. What would you do? I also posted this on the Carnival thread.

Carnival Sunshine:

Itinerary: St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Maarten

Departure Port: Port Canaveral

Pros: New Ports, Nice Ship, Loyalty benefits

Cons: Have to drive to Florida (we don't fly), Price is high

Liberty of the Seas:

Itinerary: Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Departure Port: Galveston

Pros: Never been on this ship, leaves from Galveston which is 45 minutes away, Price is reasonable.

Cons: Same ports that I go to all the time except Falmouth but I have been to Jamaica several times, No Loyalty benefits.

We were just on the Sunshine a month ago and I was really impressed. The cabin had been recently refurbished, had new furnishings including carpet. The food was excellent and there were more choices of "free" restaurants than I've ever had on any previous cruise. I can't compare it to the other ship but just thought I had to let you know that the Sunshine has some great features.

We were just on the Sunshine a month ago and I was really impressed. The cabin had been recently refurbished, had new furnishings including carpet. The food was excellent and there were more choices of "free" restaurants than I've ever had on any previous cruise. I can't compare it to the other ship but just thought I had to let you know that the Sunshine has some great features.

I have been on the Sunshine before and enjoyed it. I loved all the new restaurants and refurbished cabins. I know nothing about the Liberty of the Sea.

I am torn between Carnival Sunshine and Liberty of the Seas. What would you do? I also posted this on the Carnival thread.

Carnival Sunshine:

Itinerary: St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Maarten

Departure Port: Port Canaveral

Pros: New Ports, Nice Ship, Loyalty benefits

Cons: Have to drive to Florida (we don't fly), Price is high

Liberty of the Seas:

Itinerary: Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Departure Port: Galveston

Pros: Never been on this ship, leaves from Galveston which is 45 minutes away, Price is reasonable.

Cons: Same ports that I go to all the time except Falmouth but I have been to Jamaica several times, No Loyalty benefits.

No loyalty benefits? Then start cruising on Royal Caribbean and start earning them! ;)

I am not going to be much help I do not think lol

Love the sunshines ports

The Liberty is my favourite class of RCL ships but the ports are meh in my opinion

You will have to decide if you are cruising for the ship or the ports - good luck choosing

I have never been on Carnival but I voted for Sunshine based on the ports visited.

Can you take a train to Florida? Might be more pleasant than driving.

I have been wanting to try a cruise from Galveston but reading about the problems of getting to the port from the airports and fog impacting departures and arrivals at the dock has dissuaded me.

We're looking for a summer 2016 cruise and may look into Carnival Sunshine ourselves.

Our RCI Diamond discount is useless with their ongoing $300 obc (refuse to combine with c&a discounts) so who cares about loyalty anymore?

We sailed Sunshine when it was Destiny and it was one of the most crowded ships we've sailed. Then they added 182 cabins, took away public areas, and changed its name. I wouldn't want to find out first hand where they put all those people.

Edited by Big_G

I was looking at trying the Sunshine after the major refurb just out of curiosity, then I saw how much public area they took away (Aft show lounge, a few other lounges) for cabins and decided not too. had friends that were on over Thanksgiving and they said it was extremely crowded compared to other Carnival Ships.

There does look like there are some interesting things to try on Sunshine, just a lot of passengers for the size of that ship! Most of the Conquest class vessels that are just a bit bigger hold less people.

Again, it looks like you have loyalty perks on Carnival which definitely is worth something (A major reason why I continue to cruise RCCL), but you may find the Liberty nice as well (Especially not having to fly or drive that distance!). as it has some features you haven't seen on Carnival Ships. I have taken some Carnival Cruises and have always had a good time - i just tend to like RCCL a bit better.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

We have not been on Liberty in particular, but are planning on it in the next few years while it is in Galveston. We went on Sunshine this summer and have been out of Galveston multiple times. I was disappointed with Sunshine, but the ports are excellent. I would still choose Liberty, however, as we prefer RCCL over Carnival. Sunshine was crowded and was disappointing overall (food, entertainment, rooms...). We live in Texas as well and drove all the way to Florida, only to be disappointed. We had a good time and made the best of it, but it wasn't as good as our RCCL cruises in the past, even if they were just out of Galveston with the same ports over and over again. I would recommend doing Liberty this year and possibly waiting and doing a bigger Carnival ship, such as the Breeze or Vista in the next few years. Breeze is coming to Galveston this upcoming year. Also, Liberty is to be renovated, which will make it an even better ship here in Galveston.