Specialty Dining Tipping

Dorene1

When I have the UDP, where I didn't pay for tips when purchased, I'll leave $5.00 per person. When I purchase the SDP and have to pay for tips at time of purchase, I'll only leave an extra tip, if the service is over the top and that would probably also be $5.00 per person.

Although I agree, you've already paid an 18% gratuity, I wonder is the very nice server helping me actually get any part of that, and how much. So....I still give a $5 tip. I'd sure like NCL to explain exactly where the restaurant and bar 18 % gratuities specifically go. But, you're not wrong whatever you decide to do.

We did same on our Dawn cruise with UDP where we did not pay 18% in advance. We tipped $5 per person. We ate at a different spec restaurant every night. All were good and Teppanyaki was very entertaining!

Last cruise I went to Moderno the first night and my waiter didn't charge me for my glass of wine, so I added a tip. I might tip extra if my SDP was a promo, but probably not if I paid for both cover charge AND gratuity. Since we all have meals included, my opinion is that paying an additional $23 or $35, and then tipping on top of that would be seriously overpaying for that meal.

Two cruises ago I ate at Cagney's twice. First time I had the filet and it was good, but the second time I had the ribeye, and it sucked. They should have tipped ME for taking 2 bites of it. Honestly I've eaten meals in the MDR that exceeded anything I've had at the specialties.

Regardless of how I got the dining package I do not tip extra. Enough is enough.

I totally agree with this!

Before they had the added 18% I would tip, probably 20-25% but if NCL is going to decide how much I will tip, that is what they get and not a penny more.

If the servers are not getting the whole 18% they need to take it up with NCL, not my problem.

I totally agree with this!

Before they had the added 18% I would tip, probably 20-25% but if NCL is going to decide how much I will tip, that is what they get and not a penny more.

If the servers are not getting the whole 18% they need to take it up with NCL, not my problem.

And remember if you leave your auto tips intact you have tipped double for the same dinner.

If you are talking about the DSC, the servers in the specialty restaurants don't receive any, so no one is double tipping.

We have gone this through many times - a person not adjusting their DSC for the nights they visit speciality restaurants is in fact double tipping as they are paying for the service in complimentary restaurants (that they do not use) and charged again in a speciality restaurant (for the service they actually use).

If you are talking about the DSC, the servers in the specialty restaurants don't receive any, so no one is double tipping.

There are people on this board, not me, who believe that because your DSC includes the waiters in the MDR and you aren't eating there when eating in the Specialty restaurant, then you are double tipping since your DSC tipped the MDR waiter the same night your 18% gratuity was charged for Specialty Dining.

Since the DSC involves other crew too, I don't worry about if there's double tipping.

Edited to add: one of those believers was typing the same time I was and his post is right above this one.

Edited by NMLady

There are people on this board, not me, who believe that because your DSC includes the waiters in the MDR and you aren't eating there when eating in the Specialty restaurant, then you are double tipping since your DSC tipped the MDR waiter the same night your 18% gratuity was charged for Specialty Dining.

Since the DSC involves other crew too, I don't worry about if there's double tipping.

Edited to add: one of those believers was typing the same time I was and his post is right above this one.

I guess since I don't eat all my meals in a specialty restaurant (only dinners and one lunch a a few breakfasts in Cagneys), I feel that the server's portions of the DSC go to those servers in the other venues.

Edited by NLH Arizona

And I have an e-mail from a Hotel Directer (Who I won't name) dated this week that states that specialty restaurants servers DO receive a part of the DSC.

Harriet

And I have an e-mail from a Hotel Directer (Who I won't name) dated this week that states that specialty restaurants servers DO receive a part of the DSC.

Harriet

If you have it, then why not post it..you can block out their name. NCL corporate told me when the 18 percent started, they were not included. I'd love to show corporate they lied, if that is the case.

Harriet

Doesn't the dining portion of the DSC cover the service you receive for all the meals/snacks you have for the entire day? Therefore wouldn't the speciality servers receive a portion of the DSC when they are working in the other venues for breakfast/lunch?

Doesn't the dining portion of the DSC cover the service you receive for all the meals/snacks you have for the entire day? Therefore wouldn't the speciality servers receive a portion of the DSC when they are working in the other venues for breakfast/lunch?

I think you are spot on with your interpretation - key weasel phrase - 'portion of the DSC'.