Questions about Ecstasy...

camprunner

I have been looking at a particular cruise on Ecstasy. It's with in a very reasonable driving distance from my home and we are looking at a very specific two week time period in which we can go on a 5 day cruise. Also, to put it bluntly, it's what we can afford (because nothing is cheap when you are a family of 6). None of us have ever been on a cruise before so I don't think our expectations will be high. Mostly, I'd just like to set foot in some of the destinations to say we've been.

My concerns are about safety after reading about the recent elevator accident and the comments about how people are saying that Ecstasy should be retired.

So overall, do you think that Ecstasy is a fairly safe ship? Is there another older ship you'd recommend in August that leaves from the East Coast of the US?

I have been looking at a particular cruise on Ecstasy. It's with in a very reasonable driving distance from my home and we are looking at a very specific two week time period in which we can go on a 5 day cruise. Also, to put it bluntly, it's what we can afford (because nothing is cheap when you are a family of 6). None of us have ever been on a cruise before so I don't think our expectations will be high. Mostly, I'd just like to set foot in some of the destinations to say we've been.

My concerns are about safety after reading about the recent elevator accident and the comments about how people are saying that Ecstasy should be retired.

So overall, do you think that Ecstasy is a fairly safe ship? Is there another older ship you'd recommend in August that leaves from the East Coast of the US?

Yes it should be put out to pasture, try something newer and you will see what i mean.

We were on the Ecstasy the first week of November. We've been on many cruises and it was one of our favorites. Yes, it's a smaller older ship, but she is clean and does not look old. Crew was great and we would not hesitate to sail on the Ecstasy again.

We're scheduled for a 7 day cruise on ecstasy this March. We're also a family of 6, and chose this ship because of all the same reasons you mentioned.

I, too, am feeling a bit discouraged about the safety and condition of the ship, and am really appreciating all of the reassuring posts!

I did a pretty good amount of research before picking this ship, so I was aware it was older, and sometimes referred to as "run down". But what ones opinion of "run down" is may differ from mine...considering that my children's standard of "fancy" is pretty easy to achieve [emoji1]

Safety issues never came up in my research, so until I hear differently, I'll assume that the elevator incident is just an awful, tragic accident.

You'll probably have a fantastic vacation and be just fine.

That being said, I think I'm done with the older cruise ships myself. We went on the Imagination in 2009 and 2012. 2009 was no problem, but the one in 2012, there were several issues, including a minor elevator one (when it opened, it was uneven with the floor by several inches and my mother-in-law fell when she didn't see it in time). With the new issue that happened with the Ecstasy, it's just too much for me to want to try an older ship again. I would rather feel safer with a newer ship, even if it's just psychological and not reality.

Just my two cents- I could be overthinking it!

Ok , I saw a news article about the elevator. That is truly horrific.

I'm guessing he was on top of the car working on the electrics?

I'm a bit weird about elevators anyway. I'd opt for stairs.

My husband feels that same way about taking the stairs. I guess I'll try to find something on a deck fairly high up.

We were on the Ecstasy in Feb. It was our first cruise ever and we'd do it again in a minute! Thoroughly enjoyed it. We were on the Empress deck which is close to everything. No more than a few flights of stairs to get anywhere.

Thanks everyone. I just looked into one on Elation and it just didn't seem as nice. With two sea days, I think the kids will find the WaterWorks more fun than just a twisty slide.

The Elation or the Paradise still has not received the upgrades like the other Fantasy Class ships. Your family will enjoy the water park on the Ecstasy and the updated cabins. I went on the Fantasy and I never felt unsafe at all. We did have a storm with waterspouts, but I hardly felt the ship tilt back and forward.

Have a blast & Happy New Year!

Edited by peaceloveandsandyfeet

People calling for Fantasy class ships to be retired are either spoiled, snobbish, or ignorant.

Many of us enjoy cruising these ships versus the "Behemoth of the Sea" type ships. You'll note the Fantasy class ships don't sail empty either. They are a very popular.

Edited by The4Cruisers

Ecstasy was the first ship we sailed and we thought it was fabulous! We didn't have anything to compare her to [emoji3]. Those saying she's run down have probably, like us, now been on newer ships and are comparing apples to oranges. You will have a great time should you choose; the tragic accident that occurred has nothing to do with the ship itself and could just as easily been anywhere that has elevators.

Edited by fam2cruise

While respondents here have said their past cruise was safe, none of them can know how your cruise will turn out. Indeed, they couldn't have known this tragedy was about to happen.

Some of the passengers on the ill fated Ecstasy cruise have said there were several elevators acting up and in need of repairs, it wasn't just the one.

Many CC cruisers advise not going on a cruise just before or after a dry dock refurbishment.

I stopped going on these older ships about 10 years ago. I understand your desire for a low cost cruise, but maybe another ship?

Edited by evandbob

After a tragic incident like the one that just happened, cruise lines/any other company will use extremely high precautions to prevent another incident from occurring. Like after the Triumph was stranded at sea, Carnival made sure to have backup generators on every ship in case it were to happen again. I think you will be perfectly fine taking the cruise, and after I've sailed on two of the Ecstasy's sister ships, I'm 100% positive you'll have a great time.