Magic vs Sunshine

rbelfi

I'm torn on what ship I want to book this coming August. Sunshine is a 15 minute drive, but it a little more expensive. Magic has one extra port and is getting a dry dock soon, it's also newer. Sunshine looks really nice, I'm not sure how "old" it'll feel since its originally much older. Any preferences?

I haven't been on Sunshine, but have sailed the Magic many times. I Love the Magic and after they add Guys and the Blue Iguana she will be Perfect!! :)

Sorry, but I just did a bit of investigation and so far it doesn't look like the Magic will be getting either. Bummer!

That's was a main reason for including magic in my search was the new upgrades. I too heard the confirmation.

Sunshine is $3704 outa ny, 15 minutes from my house and is a 8 day with 3 ports. Magic was $2757 but I'd have to include flight hotel and transfers in with the cost

Amber cove grand Turk and coco bay. I've seen that too about the crowding. The appeal of being convenient and with new ports for my wife have us still contemplating it.

We wanna do this vacation on the cheap this year, but try to get different ports then usual

I am looking at the itinerary, basically you only have two ports full day which is amber cove and half moon cay....Grand Turk you leave at 2pm basically this is pretty much an all sea day cruise which I love! I love the idea of 8 nights you have an extra day and a few more tips to pay and drinks.

If you change to the Magic which is 1k cheaper, I can't see your airfare, transfers and hotel to cost more than that if it gets close to that, hotels close to Pt. Canaveral are not expensive...check the price of airfare then decide. You also have one less day of paying for tips and drinks, just something to consider, and if ports are of interest to you, having the extra port be nice maybe?

I also pretty much choose a ship that has recently gone through dry dock and have updates/renovations. Carnival Sunshine last dry dock was in 2013....for me, I choose the Magic.

I've been on the Magic 2x and my 3rd will be in March, right after dry dock. I have been on the Sunshine once, the 2nd sailing. I loved them both. Magic is bigger and tends to have more public spots to hang out. It has the Italian place but did not have Guy's although I hear they are getting one. Sunshine had it all including a JiJi's. That place was amazing!! I think both ships are fine so you might want to choose based on $$ and itinerary. Good luck!

OP, one gives you 8 nights and convenience, the other offers you more things on the ship and will have upgrades and refurbishment. Also consider the cost of parking your car in NY, the tips the cost of drinks and the price of the cruise, then check out airfares, hotel and transfer costs and the price of the Magic and see the difference in the cost. If its about the same I personally choose the Magic but read the reviews on both ships and just make a decision, once you do, stick with it and count down the days.

And I really hope you are right!!:mad:. Would you mind sharing where you got this information. As far as I know even John Heald doesn't know for sure. Thanks!

If you look on the Carnival site at the Magic they are listed as coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm torn on what ship I want to book this coming August. Sunshine is a 15 minute drive, but it a little more expensive. Magic has one extra port and is getting a dry dock soon, it's also newer. Sunshine looks really nice, I'm not sure how "old" it'll feel since its originally much older. Any preferences?

I have sailed The Sunshine twice and it's ok, nothing I can point my finger at, it's just not my favorite ship. It's just doesn't flow well for me and is a bit on the crowded side. I checked with my PVP this morning and was told that he got word from corporate this week that the Magic will indeed have Guy's Burger and other 2.0 updates as well as a BBQ place. As far as Port Canaveral goes, though you may know this already, The Radisson offers great parking deals and room deals for cruisers. I personally live just a few minutes from PC but I frequently meet people that fly down to cruise and they always tell me it's much cheaper here than other places.

I'm searching dates now for an upcoming cruise we want to take on the Magic. Glad she's coming back to PC!

Not having to deal with flying, hotel, transfers, and paying for them would be great!! Having the extra day on cruise alone would have me pick the Sunshine!! Not sure how many are in your party, but Im thinking you will spend that $1000 on flights, hotel, taxis, and meals going on Magic..

If you can find someone to drop and pick you up at the port in NY, no parking fees either..Plus you can buy all the souvenirs you want and not have to worry about them fitting in your luggage and it being within the weight limit...lol

We were just confronted with th came situation We have cruise the Sunshine but we also cruised the Dream which is just like the Magic. But this April we decide to go on the Sunshine because it went to two ports we have yet to visit. Either way both ships are a good decision!

Being originally from the north east I personally would never consider sailing from a northeast terminal because of the days lost sailing down and up the east coast to get to/from the Caribbean. However if you can shave some costs off by not paying for airfare, hotel and cab fee's then I say go for the Sunshine. But if you can find a great price on JetBlue or Souhtwest to Orlando then I would choose the Magic because of the overall vacation experience of spending an extra day(s) in sunny Florida and the extra day at sea. Getting from Orlando airport to your hotel and port is cheaper if your rent a car. I rented one for this month and it only cost me $12!

It's a tough choice but either choice would be great

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I'm on Sunshine this Feb 5 but it wasn't until after I paid that I realized what they had done to it in the reno. They added cabins, took out a pool and a lot of deck space and filled it in with Revenue Generating Options. I have a bad feeling that the crowding is going to be out of control and if so, I will never book the Sunshine again. In addition, I'll be sure to let them know why.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance... go with the Magic.

We went on the Sunshine in June and did not find it to be so crowded that it interfered with anything we were wanting to do. I think as usual the biggest problem is finding chairs around the pool. But we got there a little early, but found the adult serenity area to be as advertised, and so usually were there when we were outside...We found the Havana Bar to be a less than crowded place for breakfast and lunch. And a generally great indoor place to hang out to avoid crowds.