Sky Suites and Michaels Lounge

cdnhockeyfan

I'm a tad worried by this Ma Bell, as it sounds like a real step down :eek: from our previous experiences of MC.

When was this and where did you see it? Was it on your Sept cruise on Infinity?

I am onboard Equinox currently. They have that menu on every table but seem willing to bring whatever you want. The MCC did ask to not take the drinks out of the lounge.

I am onboard Equinox currently. They have that menu on every table but seem willing to bring whatever you want. The MCC did ask to not take the drinks out of the lounge.

Thanks for the update. The MCC. Is in a very tough situation and it's easier to say nothing. That's essentially been the unofficial policy in the past, but I suspect that a sharp increase in cost might bring a change.

When will you be boarding Connie?

Can we take drinks out in go cup? We have been able to do this before. This would also mean a wine into dinner maybe over. Guidelines would be helpful since anyone would have thought the announcement meant full premium bar and many of us were able to occasionally walk out with drink to dinner, show or night cap.

Edited by hulamoon

Can we take drinks out in go cup? We have been able to do this before. This would also mean a wine into dinner maybe over. Guidelines would be helpful since anyone would have thought the announcement meant full premium bar and many of us were able to occasionally walk out with drink to dinner, show or night cap.

Sometimes it's not a good idea to ask. In this case official guidelines from corporate will not be helpful to people who use MC.

I'll be very disappointed if I can't have a Cosmo or a Dewars scotch in MC. Celebrity seems to be sending mixed messages. On one hand they claim to want to show PH occupants a premium experience (they claim you can have basically "whatever you want") and on the other hand they are limiting the drink options in Michael's. What gives Celebrity???

Edited by jcpc

my recent experience is the PH experience is not uniformly out of this world service, but because it gets the premium package I am sure it gets premium bar service so I would not worry about not getting the drinks you want.

This change will only affect those who don't receive a Premium Package as a Suite or loyalty perk, or those who chose to purchase a premium package.

Obviously the biggest hit to a limited drink menu in MC would be to the CS, but because many of these drinks are new, non standard cocktails I am hoping it is more of a drink menu, and as Tommy stated not a limited menu, so basically they let you get what you want, but show you what they have for wines, beers and special cocktails on hand.

As far as taking drinks out of the club, this has been another of the battles between guest relations (who run MC) and F&B who run the bar there. GR says yes, F&B says no, we loose to much glassware to elsewhere on the ship. If GR who sets the policies for MC says it should be OK, whoever runs it corporate wide should just settle this at corporate between the appropriate senior managers and let the ships know and implement the proper policy. Of course we (all?) know this rarely happens uniformly or well on Celebrity.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yes CS and SS just lost their specialty dining amenity, but they were getting MC..now what they thought MC was is in question. Someone please turn that menu into a suggestion menu.

SS lost the specialty dining but gained Michael's Club. CS lost the specialty dining but gained nothing. Other than extra CC points and a larger cabin, there is nothing to justify the additional cost (and the difference is usually far more than either of those would be worth to most people).

Thanks for the update. The MCC. Is in a very tough situation and it's easier to say nothing. That's essentially been the unofficial policy in the past, but I suspect that a sharp increase in cost might bring a change.

When will you be boarding Connie?

Hi Charles - D&E will be onboard 1/14, R&I joining on 1/18. They had one of the same two cabins available for the 1/14 so we booked when we boarded Equinox. Beware the stockholder OBC is NOT combinable with the onboard booking OBC even though they claim onboard that you can get one more benefit. Tom

I could be wrong but I think the menus are probably just suggestions of what will normally be stocked at Michael's club, making things easier for the bartender, and for those who can't easily decide what they want. This is similar to the bar menus at other bars, I think. Just because something isn't listed doesn't mean it isn't available.

I have to wonder how big an issue it is, as any suite bookings right now come with the premium package. Personally, I found Michaels Club dead on our last cruise, and as the premium package came with our cabin, we spent little time there. Even if it didn't, I don't find a dark bar with no windows all that appealing. We mostly went there because we felt sorry for the nice hostess sitting in the room by herself.

Just when I thought I understood it all, I realize I don't! Staying in a skye suite in April...is this thread inferring that when in Michaels all drinks are complimentary? All the time?

Thanks! It really doesn't personally matter as we have the premium package but I still like to know the "Rules" and it sounds like the original post and replies are saying that while in MC you have free drinks? I thought it was just when the elite class had their happy hour.

Just when I thought I understood it all, I realize I don't! Staying in a skye suite in April...is this thread inferring that when in Michaels all drinks are complimentary? All the time?

Thanks! It really doesn't personally matter as we have the premium package but I still like to know the "Rules" and it sounds like the original post and replies are saying that while in MC you have free drinks? I thought it was just when the elite class had their happy hour.

Michael's Club is now a suite only venue. The Elite happy hour has not been held there for quite some time. Originally MC was offered to Celebrity Suites and above. In December Sky Suites were given this perk. The drinks are complimentary, all the time.

SS lost the specialty dining but gained Michael's Club. CS lost the specialty dining but gained nothing. Other than extra CC points and a larger cabin, there is nothing to justify the additional cost (and the difference is usually far more than either of those would be worth to most people).

Yes this is true, CS lost more, especially if the drink menu is a limited menu rather than suggestions.

I could be wrong but I think the menus are probably just suggestions of what will normally be stocked at Michael's club, making things easier for the bartender, and for those who can't easily decide what they want. This is similar to the bar menus at other bars, I think. Just because something isn't listed doesn't mean it isn't available.

I have to wonder how big an issue it is, as any suite bookings right now come with the premium package. Personally, I found Michaels Club dead on our last cruise, and as the premium package came with our cabin, we spent little time there. Even if it didn't, I don't find a dark bar with no windows all that appealing. We mostly went there because we felt sorry for the nice hostess sitting in the room by herself.

This is not 100% the case. I booked a sky suite for a transatlantic and was not offered any perks or the opportunity to upgrade to the BBB perks. They told me that transatlantic sailings are specially priced so they don't offer any extras.

Maybe if I booked on board they would of given something.

I booked before the end of 2015 and they said they would honor the two complimentary specialty dinners.

I intend to make use of Michaels Club every day. I have missed it since it became a craft beer lounge and then closed to non-suite guests.

It will be very disappointing if in fact MC serves only from the menu. We could order anything we wanted and take it out when we were on the Millie in October and we found we didn't need to upgrade to the premium package to get what we wanted. Most of the time we found wines on the classic package that worked for us. One night my DH couldn't and he just paid for what he wanted. It was much cheaper to buy 1 glass than pay for the upgrade each day.

If our cruise on Equinox in the fall goes the same way our Millie one went along with the continuous downgrading of the suite experience in CS and the increasing prices it will be our last with Celebrity. In fact i came home and looked for another cruise line with the same timing and itinerary but was unable to do so. We enjoyed the cruise but not the suite experience on Celebrity. The exceptions were the staff and MC. The staff were fantastic and MC a great place to spend time.

I am onboard Equinox now with disembarkation tomorrow. Apparently the Sky Suites do NOT have access to Michaels as their disembarkation lounge. They are assigned to Tuscan with the hundreds of Elites and Elite Plus guests. CS suites and above plus Zenith have access to Michaels for disembarkation

Edited by TommyD3

I am onboard Equinox now with disembarkation tomorrow. Apparently the Sky Suites do NOT have access to Michaels as their disembarkation lounge. They are assigned to Tuscan with the hundreds of Elites and Elite Plus guests. CS suites and above plus Zenith have access to Michaels for disembarkation

This is what we were told in December, there is just no room and more incentive to get the heck off the ship.

It will be very disappointing if in fact MC serves only from the menu. We could order anything we wanted and take it out when we were on the Millie in October and we found we didn't need to upgrade to the premium package to get what we wanted. Most of the time we found wines on the classic package that worked for us. One night my DH couldn't and he just paid for what he wanted. It was much cheaper to buy 1 glass than pay for the upgrade each day.

If our cruise on Equinox in the fall goes the same way our Millie one went along with the continuous downgrading of the suite experience in CS and the increasing prices it will be our last with Celebrity. In fact i came home and looked for another cruise line with the same timing and itinerary but was unable to do so. We enjoyed the cruise but not the suite experience on Celebrity. The exceptions were the staff and MC. The staff were fantastic and MC a great place to spend time.

So you like the staff and you liked the MC experience and the drink package worked for you, what were the shortcomings of the suite experience? I'm curious what was missing? You've left us guessing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This is not 100% the case. I booked a sky suite for a transatlantic and was not offered any perks or the opportunity to upgrade to the BBB perks. They told me that transatlantic sailings are specially priced so they don't offer any extras.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the usual perk exclusion itineraries are also excluded from the suite perks. That is disappointing.

This is the information I received from Celebrity a number of months ago. I was wondering how they would differentiate SS from other suites if everyone was in MC on disembarkation.

So you like the staff and you liked the MC experience and the drink package worked for you, what were the shortcomings of the suite experience? I'm curious what was missing? You've left us guessing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The biggest disappointment was the suite itself. Lots of room but it was so poorly maintained it was a disgrace. I don't mean it wasn't kept meticulously clean just that it was well past needing upgrading. Many of the cupboards and drawers either didn't open properly or were difficult to open and close. The bathroom was disgusting with moldy grout and all metal parts in the bathtub/shower were tarnished. It has a weird little window that looks into the living room. Needless to say we needed to keep the blind closed all the time for privacy while using the facilities. As well we had a leak every time we showered for the first few days before they fixed the problem. Don't misunderstand they responded quickly but had trouble finding the source of the problem. The furniture was all over-sized and worn out. Made a large space cramped and crowded. There was not a place i could sit that was comfortable.

The food in Luminae was good, not great. For example the very first night my duck was overcooked and when the Maitre'D came by to introduce the Chef and I was asked how everything was, i told them. The chef just smiled at me and moved on. The first time we had the chance to have lunch i tried the hamburger everyone was raving about and it was almost inedible, now to be fair the time my DH tried it was cooked properly and he enjoyed it. Thought i would give it another try and it was better but nothing great. Our experience was more okay food than the fine dining experience i was expecting. The best meal we had the entire trip was the Cellar Master's dinner and we only had to pay an extra $150 pp to get a really good meal. (We had a lot of OBC so decided to splurge) Even our 2 trips to the specialty restaurants were just okay.

Prior to the cruise we were not told that Luminae would only be open on sea days or that we could eat at Bistro on Five for free when it was closed. As this was a fairly port intensive cruise we didn't have much chance to take advantage of what i thought we paid for. Our trips to the pool grill and buffet for lunch were all pretty unsuccessful.

Overall for the money most of the suite experience was not worth it. The saving grace was the great staff in Luminae and Michael's Club. They helped make it a good trip but certainly not enough to pay that level of money going forward.

The biggest disappointment was the suite itself. Lots of room but it was so poorly maintained it was a disgrace. I don't mean it wasn't kept meticulously clean just that it was well past needing upgrading. Many of the cupboards and drawers either didn't open properly or were difficult to open and close. The bathroom was disgusting with moldy grout and all metal parts in the bathtub/shower were tarnished. It has a weird little window that looks into the living room. Needless to say we needed to keep the blind closed all the time for privacy while using the facilities. As well we had a leak every time we showered for the first few days before they fixed the problem. Don't misunderstand they responded quickly but had trouble finding the source of the problem. The furniture was all over-sized and worn out. Made a large space cramped and crowded. There was not a place i could sit that was comfortable.

The food in Luminae was good, not great. For example the very first night my duck was overcooked and when the Maitre'D came by to introduce the Chef and I was asked how everything was, i told them. The chef just smiled at me and moved on. The first time we had the chance to have lunch i tried the hamburger everyone was raving about and it was almost inedible, now to be fair the time my DH tried it was cooked properly and he enjoyed it. Thought i would give it another try and it was better but nothing great. Our experience was more okay food than the fine dining experience i was expecting. The best meal we had the entire trip was the Cellar Master's dinner and we only had to pay an extra $150 pp to get a really good meal. (We had a lot of OBC so decided to splurge) Even our 2 trips to the specialty restaurants were just okay.

Prior to the cruise we were not told that Luminae would only be open on sea days or that we could eat at Bistro on Five for free when it was closed. As this was a fairly port intensive cruise we didn't have much chance to take advantage of what i thought we paid for. Our trips to the pool grill and buffet for lunch were all pretty unsuccessful.

Overall for the money most of the suite experience was not worth it. The saving grace was the great staff in Luminae and Michael's Club. They helped make it a good trip but certainly not enough to pay that level of money going forward.

I would say that unfortunately your experience is pretty typical and mirrors many of ours especially on the Millenium. One exception was the chef / maitre d recently on Infonty corrected issues we reported especially. This is Cebroty's biggest shortcoming. They are no anticipating needs or excepting our level of expectation (suites where everything works as it should, clean, shiny, etc). I'm sure they think we're "problem children" but we've been askinh the pre-cruise concierge to make sure everything in the cabin is working and then providing a punch list to the concierge to be dealt with on the first port day when we're not there. We leave the suites in better condition than when we arrive but again, this should not be the case.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We leave the suites in better condition than when we arrive but again, this should not be the case.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We do too Jenna. Everything that is supposed to be in the suite is there...all is clean and in working order by the time we leave.

BUT, unless something is really broken or I have towels with holes in them, I vowed to not turn my upcoming cruise into a list of to-dos for the Celebrity staff.

I will say, someone does have to walk through all cabins more closely. There have been many times where pink and black moldy grout is evident in the bathrooms which a simple scrub of bleach would handle. Stewards and housekeeping need to step it up when it comes to deep cleaning.

I also freak myself out thinking about how many people have sat on the couches in the suites. How frequently do you think they clean the fabric? I might have to throw a sheet over the couch until I get over this new OCD I have. (Yes, I have the same ritual at hotels!)

:)