Couple of items noted from recent Marina cruise

Lane412000

While on the Southern Seas cruise (Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro) there were a couple of activities that were missed. I am unsure if it was because of the itinerary or just that Oceania has stopped these two activities:

1. Sunday Brunch in the GDR. We departed on a Sunday and then were in St. Helena for the next Sunday. So, possibly this is the reason the Sunday brunch was not held?

2. Staff greeting passengers back onto the ship in one port. Again, possibly because of the itinerary (6 of the last 7 cruise days were sea days with only St. Helena sandwiched in there and St. Helena was an anchored port). Always neat to return back to the ship one day and have staff waiting on the dock welcoming passengers back.

Did your recent cruises have either of these activities?

That elaborate brunch is not given every Sunday. We've only had it once or twice on more than a dozen cruises (not all on Marina, of course). I've never been able to figure out why they do it on some Sunday sea days but not all.

I don't in general recall staff waiting to greet us back on board ... except for the guys making sure you don't trip and break your neck on the gangway.

Mura

That elaborate brunch is not given every Sunday. We've only had it once or twice on more than a dozen cruises (not all on Marina, of course). I've never been able to figure out why they do it on some Sunday sea days but not all.

I don't in general recall staff waiting to greet us back on board ... except for the guys making sure you don't trip and break your neck on the gangway.

Mura

I agree

if someone is at the gangway it may be just coincidence

The brunch we had it on the longer cruise 16+ days along with the special afternoon tea on a sea day

I am surprised you have not had the chance to be greeted by the staff when returning back from excursions. On our previous Oceania cruises, this always happened in one port per cruise. It is always neat as the staff forms a double line that you walk through on your way back to the cruise terminal or to the ship itself. On the previous experiences there was music playing and everyone was in a festive mood. You were given a hot or cold towel to freshen up and also a juice or some other drink (non alcohol). The crew members are giving you high five or fist pumps as you go through the double line. It is even more enjoyable to stand on the cabin balcony and watch other passenger's faces as they get off the tour buses and see what is awaiting them.

We have had the "crew" greeting with band etc on a couple of cruises.

It seems to happen when the ship is in a port with long distances to the excursion sites so that almost everyone is gone all day and most of the buses arrive back a the ship about the same time.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule but suspect it is at the CD's discretion when he/she feels passengers will be coming back hot and tired and need a little pick me up.

I am surprised you have not had the chance to be greeted by the staff when returning back from excursions. On our previous Oceania cruises, this always happened in one port per cruise. It is always neat as the staff forms a double line that you walk through on your way back to the cruise terminal or to the ship itself. On the previous experiences there was music playing and everyone was in a festive mood. You were given a hot or cold towel to freshen up and also a juice or some other drink (non alcohol). The crew members are giving you high five or fist pumps as you go through the double line. It is even more enjoyable to stand on the cabin balcony and watch other passenger's faces as they get off the tour buses and see what is awaiting them.

Never seen cold or hot towels on Oceania, always on Celebrity.

I've seen a band playing as people come back.

What you have described is definitely an exception and not a rule on the 11 Oceania cruises I have been on.

The only time we were greeted by staff when returning to the ship was on a late-returning excursiuon when it appeared they were really glad we made it back! Never seen warm or cold towels on Oceania, but they were offered in every port on our recent 11 day cruise on NCL Pearl (along with refreshing beverages at the base of the gangway).

I think I have seen the greeting on one of our cruises but it was for when excursions arrived back together

Most of the time there is water & juice at the end of the gangway not always though

The City of Napier, NZ and the Marina put on quite a welcome back to the ship for us. The band was out by the gangplank for about an hour playing for all the returnees coming back to the ship. Since the City is such a retro City, even as we came off the ship we were meet with locals in their old cars and in custom period dress. Great Visit and cute City and surrounding area.

I have been on river cruises, Uniworld for certain, where we are meet with warm towels after morning and afternoon tours. I only recall a warm towel greeting on the Marina upon our embarkment in Copenhapen. I don't recall any warm (or cold) towels upon return other than that.

The only time we were greeted by staff when returning to the ship was on a late-returning excursiuon when it appeared they were really glad we made it back! Never seen warm or cold towels on Oceania, but they were offered in every port on our recent 11 day cruise on NCL Pearl (along with refreshing beverages at the base of the gangway).

Same here on the NCL Getaway. Maybe O needs to pick up an NCL procedure.

We have had several Sunday Brunches on O, most recently on our 24 day cruise last Feb/Mar 2015 sailing on the Riviera around the Caribbean and on to Barcelona. It was great, also had the" special" afternoon tea and the Country Fair.

Marianne

The City of Napier, NZ and the Marina put on quite a welcome back to the ship for us. The band was out by the gangplank for about an hour playing for all the returnees coming back to the ship. Since the City is such a retro City, even as we came off the ship we were meet with locals in their old cars and in custom period dress. Great Visit and cute City and surrounding area.

I have been on river cruises, Uniworld for certain, where we are meet with warm towels after morning and afternoon tours. I only recall a warm towel greeting on the Marina upon our embarkment in Copenhapen. I don't recall any warm (or cold) towels upon return other than that.

We're visiting Napier on the world cruise, and we've booked (together with another couple) a wine tour in a 1930 Oldsmobile named "Bugsy".

_3771988.jpg

We're really looking forward to it; your report adds the spice!

I have to agree with the OP.....I was on this cruise too.

Approximately 2/3 of my O itineraries are crossings, and, in terms of entertainment/activities, this cruise was really quite lacklustre. I found the CD and cruise staff to be rather aloof and distant....Just going through the motions, and I couldn't have picked out Cruise Director Ray Carr from an identity parade. There was no Country Fair on one of the sea days.

Compared to other crossings in the last 3 years it was really no comparison to Dottie K or Leslie Jon (not a fan, but he does have his finger on the pulse).

Approximately 2/3 of my O itineraries are crossings' date=' and, in terms of entertainment/activities, this cruise was really quite lacklustre. I found the CD and cruise staff to be rather aloof and distant....Just going through the motions, and I couldn't have picked out Cruise Director Ray Carr from an identity parade. There was no Country Fair on one of the sea days.

Compared to other crossings in the last 3 years it was really no comparison to Dottie K or Leslie Jon (not a fan, but he does have his finger on the pulse).[/quote']

Apart from the few minor gripes above the cruise was pretty wonderful, even the disembarkation in Rio had improved compared to 2 years previously. Couldn't edit the last post for some reason......:confused:

Approximately 2/3 of my O itineraries are crossings' date=' and, in terms of entertainment/activities, this cruise was really quite lacklustre. I found the CD and cruise staff to be rather aloof and distant....Just going through the motions, and I couldn't have picked out Cruise Director Ray Carr from an identity parade. There was no Country Fair on one of the sea days.

Compared to other crossings in the last 3 years it was really no comparison to Dottie K or Leslie Jon (not a fan, but he does have his finger on the pulse).[/quote']

That is true, forgot about the country fair from previous TA crossings, but we did not have one. I will first admit, I never really attend activities or performances, but I usually know who the cruise director is on the ship. On our disembarkation, I passed by Ray Carr and told him I hope you enjoyed the cruise and safe travels on the way home. My wife told me he is the cruise director. I was like, nah, you kidding me....laughing. I thought the guy was just another passenger. When we got home I looked through the daily newsletter (Currents I think these are called?), I saw his picture and bio. Damn, she was right, he was the cruise director....lol

I think perhaps he was getting his feet under him as I think I had read it was his first or second cruise back on board?

... this always happened in one port per cruise. It is always neat as the staff forms a double line that you walk through on your way back to the cruise terminal or to the ship itself. On the previous experiences there was music playing and everyone was in a festive mood. You were given a hot or cold towel to freshen up and also a juice or some other drink (non alcohol). The crew members are giving you high five or fist pumps as you go through the double line. It is even more enjoyable to stand on the cabin balcony and watch other passenger's faces as they get off the tour buses and see what is awaiting them.

Wow! I don't recognize the scene you've described at all. At best, we've heard some local band playing alongside. And, frankly, high fives and fist bumps doesn't even sound like Oceania's style.

I'm glad you've enjoyed these experiences when they've occurred, but I'm not someone who feels Oceania cruises is shortchanging me because I've never had the experience you've described.

You did know this crossing was much shorter than previous years on Marina. It was probably impossible to do the activities you miss. Also the "Sunday" brunch is hardly ever on a Sunday.

If the Sunday Brunch is hardly ever on a Sunday then isn't it just brunch? And if so, is it done to mark something significant ( half way mark on a TA, special holiday, etc)?

+1

We have been delighted to enjoy three of the special brunches - all on a Sea Day of a longer trip. Have no idea whether they were a Sunday or not. But OH MY HEAVENS - do not miss that brunch should it happen! It is a feast for all the senses.

We always make sure we have a good bottle of Champagne in our stash to go with it.

Wait till you see the rest of the cars. The city is very retro and quite fascinating to see. Enjoy.

Hello to No fuss Travel,

We are John and Darlene from Port Moody B.C. Canada just outside of Vancouver. We are going to Japan in September this year. I believe that you have been there before. If possible could you contact us by e-mail to answer some questions that we have on some of the ports in Japan? Our e-mail address is darjohnhenderson@hotmail.com

Thanking you in advance for your time,

John and Darlene