Australia/New Zealand choppy seas

I plan to cruise around Australia and New Zealand next Xmas up have been told that the seas around that area are very choppy. Is that true?

you cant predict the weather or the ocean, we've been over there quite a few times and it can get rough but it can be smooth sailing

I plan to cruise around Australia and New Zealand next Xmas up have been told that the seas around that area are very choppy. Is that true?

Welcome to CC, Petplan1,

We've booked a Tasmania and New Zealand Cruise for this December, so we will find out then. I'll definitely be taking seasick medication.

Are you looking at the Emerald Princess cruise?

It can go either way. We were on the Diamond Princess going around the NZ South Island and getting ready to make the crossing to Tasmania, when we were told by the captain that we may have rough seas as the Sun Princess had just made the crossing in the opposite direction and had been delayed so much by the seas they had to skip the entire south island. Yet as we made the crossing there was no more then a small ripple in the water. So it is all luck.

It can be, or it can be a mill pond.

Bass and Tasman are generally the worst. Ever heard of he roaring 40s, well that's pretty much where you are.

We've asked to Tassie a few times and it has ranged from like glass, to so rough they had to cancel the shows.

But nth QLD with a Cyclone around is the roughest we've ever had.

Most of the NZ cruising is done on the east coast on NZ and seems to be more sheltered most of the time, however you could get choppy seas rounding the bottom of the South Island and crossing the Tasman. Take good anti-seasickness meds with you and you should be fine.

We loved our Auckland to Sydney cruise last Christmas despite some "interesting" seas on Christmas Day as we crossed the Tasman.

Welcome to CC Petplan1. Choppy would be an understatement, very rough is a more apt description at times. I have been in 12 metre seas off bottom of south island of NZ and have also been in same area with slight seas of 2 metre swell, unpredictable.

All part of the adventure.

As Uncle Les says.., above all, Enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

My 1 & only trip across the Tasman this Christmas on Explorer was so smooth. Couldn't believe it. Had 1 roughish Storm night to New Caledonia, which was my first taste of rough seas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Before we cruised to Tassie or NZ I had heard horror stories from people about the rough seas. We have had absolutely flat seas as well as 5 to 7 mtr waves according to the captain's mid day report. I would suggest going on a larger ship. We have done Radiance, Voyager and Solstice to NZ. All were fine.

We did a Rhapsody cruise that went around Tassie, and that was a little rough. So we then decided to cancel a Legend of the Seas and do our next NZ trip on Explorer.

So either we are crazy or the stories are about the worst trips. It can get rough but those horror stories are rare. :)

Before we cruised to Tassie or NZ I had heard horror stories from people about the rough seas. We have had absolutely flat seas as well as 5 to 7 mtr waves according to the captain's mid day report. I would suggest going on a larger ship. We have done Radiance, Voyager and Solstice to NZ. All were fine.

We did a Rhapsody cruise that went around Tassie, and that was a little rough. So we then decided to cancel a Legend of the Seas and do our next NZ trip on Explorer.

So either we are crazy or the stories are about the worst trips. It can get rough but those horror stories are rare. :)

Both can be a bit iffy. Done Tas multiple times, worst seas we've ever had was Nth QLD in April.

It can go either way. We were on the Diamond Princess going around the NZ South Island and getting ready to make the crossing to Tasmania, when we were told by the captain that we may have rough seas as the Sun Princess had just made the crossing in the opposite direction and had been delayed so much by the seas they had to skip the entire south island. Yet as we made the crossing there was no more then a small ripple in the water. So it is all luck.

Luck's the thing.

Welcome to Cruise critic,

Yes it can be choppy, but it is just like crossing the Channel, the North sea, the Atlantic or the Bay of Biscay, Sometimes a millpond other times rough.

Enjoy.:D

Both can be a bit iffy. Done Tas multiple times, worst seas we've ever had was Nth QLD in April.

We are looking at a Nth Qld trip March 2017. Wondering about how it might be, but we are looking at Solstice, so pretty sure that we should be ok :) When we went on Solstice to Sth Pacific we had a last minute guarantee, so were up towards the front on deck 10. We went to a Captain's Club function and one of the officers said that must have been a bit rough the last day or two, and looked very surprised when we said we didn't find it rough.

We find it is usually rough coming out of Sydney for the first night of cruising. Don't know if that is always or just our experience? You need to have a little bit of motion on the ocean so that you get rocked to sleep!

Edited by goodycruising

We took our first ever cruise (apart from the Castel Felice from Southhampton to Australia in 1967 which I don't think really counts) this December/January. We left Sydney on the 30th December on the Carnival Legend. The crew were variously saying it was one of the worse crossings they had had with seas around 8 - 9 metre swells at the highest. While there was quite a bit of sea sickness around, and it was certainly rocking, we found it quite doable. It was disappointing that we missed the Bay of Islands port (a tender port) and a ship that was due in Aukland the day before us missed Aukland all together as they were slowed by the seas (I think that was the explanation), but I would have rather had the rough seas and sailed to New Zealand than missed the experience altogether.

We are looking at a Nth Qld trip March 2017. Wondering about how it might be, but we are looking at Solstice, so pretty sure that we should be ok :) When we went on Solstice to Sth Pacific we had a last minute guarantee, so were up towards the front on deck 10. We went to a Captain's Club function and one of the officers said that must have been a bit rough the last day or two, and looked very surprised when we said we didn't find it rough.

We find it is usually rough coming out of Sydney for the first night of cruising. Don't know if that is always or just our experience? You need to have a little bit of motion on the ocean so that you get rocked to sleep!

That March cruise is looking exceptionally good at the moment as well.:D

We took our first ever cruise (apart from the Castel Felice from Southhampton to Australia in 1967 which I don't think really counts) this December/January. We left Sydney on the 30th December on the Carnival Legend. The crew were variously saying it was one of the worse crossings they had had with seas around 8 - 9 metre swells at the highest. While there was quite a bit of sea sickness around, and it was certainly rocking, we found it quite doable. It was disappointing that we missed the Bay of Islands port (a tender port) and a ship that was due in Aukland the day before us missed Aukland all together as they were slowed by the seas (I think that was the explanation), but I would have rather had the rough seas and sailed to New Zealand than missed the experience altogether.

Welcome to cruise critic, I hope your next cruise gets to all its ports and you get smooth seas as well.:D

I am just revving my wife and grand daughter up re Diamond Princess tomorrow to NZ. 40foot seas, Force 12 gales and earthquakes I said. LOL. Well you never know with NZ, we have been there a few times before, both cruising and land travel and got the 40 foot seas and a shake or two.

Edited by NSWP

I am just revving my wife and grand daughter up re Diamond Princess tomorrow to NZ. 40foot seas, Force 12 gales and earthquakes I said. LOL. Well you never know with NZ, we have been there a few times before, both cruising and land travel and got the 40 foot seas and a shake or two.

Hope they enjoy the seas and shakes uncie Les

NZ Met service marine maps are making a liar of you, Uncle Les :rolleyes: :p :D

Relatively calm seas for the next few days although there might be the remnants of a cyclone coming down the eastern side of NZ but it looks like it will fade out fairly quickly.

http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/marine-forecast-maps/significant-wave-height