Celebrity Cruise Deposit Rip Off

Wildirishwoman

I booked Aqua Class on Celebrity Equinox in late August. Paid £300 deposit. Went today to book a cabin for our two friends - same ship, same date, same type of stateroom - approx £900 cheaper!!!!

Had a really interesting chat with Celebrity Customer Services. Basically I can cancel and lose my deposit and get the new promotional price or I can stay as I am.

So, whatever I do, I may as well have thrown £300 down the toilet!!!!

This is a total rip off. We are "encouraged" to book early and then are discriminated against when we do.

The really interesting thing is that Celebrity not only know this is happening but are openly laughing about it. Customer Services tell me that they have had complaints about this before - but it is still happening.

This type of behaviour is despicable. I DO NOT FEEL LIKE A VALUED CUSTOMER!!!!! They take your money and then treat you like dirt.

Are you past final payment date?

Evidently not since he's talking about the deposit. I believe there was a promo recently that required a non refundable deposit. Even so I agree with him. They should at least give him some sizable OBC.

Evidently not since he's talking about the deposit. I believe there was a promo recently that required a non refundable deposit. Even so I agree with him. They should at least give him some sizable OBC.

But if he signed up to a non-refundable deposit (and we are assuming that is the case, without confirmation), isn't that just the rule that he agreed to at the time, knowing that prices can change? If he cancels and rebooks, he's still 600 ahead of where he is now, and probably wouldn't take a non-refundable deposit deal again. I know when I booked our July cruise, I specifically checked that I could cancel with no fee, in case the prices went down, and I've taken advantage of that twice now. I wouldn't have taken a non-refundable deposit myself, and if I did, I wouldn't expect Celebrity to pay me to break the agreement I had full knowledge of at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume this is because you are in the UK. Yall really get the short end of the stick a lot of times when it comes to cruising.

I know it sucks but cancel and rebook. You still come out saving money, not as much but better off than sticking with your current booking. Saving 600 is better than nothing.

Still have a while to go before final payment date.

Every cruise we have been on (with the exception of Caribbean) has gone up in price or sold out. I understand you are in Belfast. At least you can save 600, and it's a savings you did not expect.

Edited by Jade13

There's a few points here that maybe need to be understood.

First, such are the rules in the U.K. Market. Deposits are not usually refundable. Transferable in some cases but not refundable.That's the way it is, and nowhere have I seen it promised by the Company to book early for the best prices. Promoted perhaps but not guaranteed. Prices go up and prices go down depending on supply and demand.

Next, you in the U.K. have several consumer protection laws that those of us in North America don't have, and these come at a cost. That's one reason for the difference in fare structure, including return of deposits for cancelled trips.

Next, if you don't like U.K. booking rules, then book with a North American Travel Agent, but understand going in that you'll be subject to North American booking regulations, and understand what those are before making a commitment.

Lastly, you need to understand what discrimination really is. In this case you bought something, didn't understand the terms and conditions of the purchase and now want Celebrity to void their contract because you're a "loyal customer". That's not discrimination, that's buyers remorse. Dropping the discrimination card on something like this really makes light of people who are victims of discrimination.

I can understand your frustration but it's really best if you put the blame where it belongs, on your shoulders.

I booked Aqua Class on Celebrity Equinox in late August. Paid £300 deposit. Went today to book a cabin for our two friends - same ship, same date, same type of stateroom - approx £900 cheaper!!!!

Had a really interesting chat with Celebrity Customer Services. Basically I can cancel and lose my deposit and get the new promotional price or I can stay as I am.

So, whatever I do, I may as well have thrown £300 down the toilet!!!!

This is a total rip off. We are "encouraged" to book early and then are discriminated against when we do.

The really interesting thing is that Celebrity not only know this is happening but are openly laughing about it. Customer Services tell me that they have had complaints about this before - but it is still happening.

This type of behaviour is despicable. I DO NOT FEEL LIKE A VALUED CUSTOMER!!!!! They take your money and then treat you like dirt.

The above poster is correct, if the UK and EU did not have such strict consumer protection laws for cruise pax then I am sure they would get the same great options US customers have so each side has their pro's and con's though I am much ore happy with our returnable deposits prior to final payment and you can keep your over regulation.

When the OP originally booked they were happy with the conditions and price and now they have the option to save 600 pounds and they are mad????? Sounds like someone needs a drink or better yet a REAL problem!:p

You don't book early to get the cheapest price, you book early to get the cabin you want. There is always a chance the price will go down or a new deal will surface. Most of the time the price goes up and you are a winner. Sometime it goes down and you miss out.

Whatever happens you still have the cabin at the price you were willing to pay for it at the time you booked.

reasons why I deal with a TA, sorry to hear you got taken for a ride no sorry you did not ask these questions at the start. Never to late to check wit ha TA, Deals come with fine prints

probably wouldn't take a non-refundable deposit deal again.

T&C have changed slightly recently, to put UK cruisers in line with those from US, so you can now transfer a booking ONCE to another cruise, BUT it has always been the case up until very recently that we loose our deposit if we cancel a cruise. No choosing to take a non - refundable deal, that's how it is!

T&C have changed slightly recently, to put UK cruisers in line with those from US, so you can now transfer a booking ONCE to another cruise, BUT it has always been the case up until very recently that we loose our deposit if we cancel a cruise. No choosing to take a non - refundable deal, that's how it is!

Understood thanks

I am sure no matter what the outcome, it will be worked out. in the long run it will. but all of a sudden they are finding this out

That sucks, but as other posters have stated, UK customers can book through US TA's and get the US rules. At the end of the day though - if you book through UK, you are agreeing to forfeit your deposit if you cancel. OP knew that, agreed to that, and have now changed their mind. Why should Celebrity pay for them to get a lower price against the agreed terms? Imagine the outcry if it went the other way, if Celebrity could charge more if the cost of the cruise goes up, regardless of what price was originally agreed!

Oh dear...this is why many in the UK will not look at cruise prices after we have booked...

You have not been ripped off, this is just the way the business works. You book at a particular price (that presumably you were content to pay?) and subsequently the price for the same article/service can vary (up or down). On this occasion the market has worked against you.

As others have said the regulatory rules are different in the UK than in the US and the UK rules say you cannot get your deposit back. Annoying though the situation seems, cancel and rebook and you will be £600 up on your current situation.

Lastly, you need to understand what discrimination really is. In this case you bought something, didn't understand the terms and conditions of the purchase and now want Celebrity to void their contract because you're a "loyal customer". That's not discrimination, that's buyers remorse. Dropping the discrimination card on something like this really makes light of people who are victims of discrimination.

I can understand your frustration but it's really best if you put the blame where it belongs, on your shoulders.

Thanks for pointing that out. Bugs me when people play the discrimination card and don't understand what it means.

OP - Sorry, it's part of the "game". Cancel, rebook and save 600EUR (or GBP).

Thanks for pointing that out. Bugs me when people play the discrimination card and don't understand what it means.

Irish too but this is good advice. You win some you lose some but overall here you will have won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True and not getting someone to explain the options in your home country which effects the cruise lines policies. Now there is a thread that people think Celebrity screwed someone when its not true.

You don't book early to get the cheapest price, you book early to get the cabin you want. There is always a chance the price will go down or a new deal will surface. Most of the time the price goes up and you are a winner. Sometime it goes down and you miss out.

Whatever happens you still have the cabin at the price you were willing to pay for it at the time you booked.

BINGO! Cabin choice!