Anything you vow to do or refrain from on your next cruise?

Does the 'Cruise to Whinge' Brigade include those recounting the problems with previous cruises (e.g. cancelling 2 of 6 ports of call and making up the reasons via the 'Daily Cancellation' Broadcast)?

We're new to cruising and are still trying to find our ideal voyage; consequently, I know there are things that annoy me intensely that more seasoned cruisers seem to accept as the norm for a cruise.

I ask the question because, were we to bump into each other on a cruise, I would almost certainly be seeking your cruise tips and advice because personal experience seems a good antidote to the cruise line propaganda.

Cheers.

Marchie

Of course there will be things that don't go well, which may be cause for a whinge to oneself &/or nearest & dearest, or even some dialogue with the ship staff. I must be the luckiest cruiser ever - always have a good cruise, meet good people, have wonderful staff to interact with. Each of our almost 100 nights at sea have been better than any day working:) Have all days been perfect - no, of course not. That said, we have never missed a port, or gone hungry or thirsty.

I have had people whinging about the carpet at a top-tier event, where they insisted in telling me all about how things are worse than the 'good-old days'. Or the guy at dinner (8:30 seating) in the MDR whinging that the buffet closes at 9pm!!! I just walk away.

Anyway, I hope we do meet one day on a cruise & I will buy you a drink.

Happy cruising.

Thanks for the reply. It's useful to get the views of the experienced cruisers (even though they might think 'If he asks me how many cruises I've been on, I'll swing for him ...') and to stop and think whether my innocent enquiry might be like a breath of fresh air (i.e. get's straight up one's nose ...).

If you buy me a drink, I'll gladly reciprocate - and I promise not to whinge - honest!

Marchie

WHAT I VOW TO DO

Morning Zumba Class

Eat Lots of Healthy Food

Use the Stairs

Drink Lots of Water

Attend the Enrichment Lectures

Play Table Tennis, Basketball etc.

Go Swimming

Latin, Salsa, Ballroom Dancing Classes

Hit the Gymnasium

Walk around the Jogging Track

Go to a Book Club Meeting

Arts and Craft at Sea

Attend Champagne Art Auction

WHAT I ACTUALLY END UP DOING

Morning Lie-In

Eat Lots of Fattening Food

Use the Lifts

Drink Lots of Cocktails

Attend the Onboard Outlet Sales

Play the Slot Machines

Go and Laze by the Pool

Dance at the Nightclub

Have a Massage

Walk around the Buffet

Go to Movies under the Stars

Dicey Horse Racing & Bingo

Attend Captain's Cocktail Party

Of course there will be things that don't go well, which may be cause for a whinge to oneself &/or nearest & dearest, or even some dialogue with the ship staff. I must be the luckiest cruiser ever - always have a good cruise, meet good people, have wonderful staff to interact with. Each of our almost 100 nights at sea have been better than any day working:) Have all days been perfect - no, of course not. That said, we have never missed a port, or gone hungry or thirsty.

I have had people whinging about the carpet at a top-tier event, where they insisted in telling me all about how things are worse than the 'good-old days'. Or the guy at dinner (8:30 seating) in the MDR whinging that the buffet closes at 9pm!!! I just walk away.

Anyway, I hope we do meet one day on a cruise & I will buy you a drink.

Happy cruising.

We've missed a few Ports, once even THE Port that made me book that cruise.

Still had a great time, always knew that par of cruising wha a risk of missing a Port.

I will admit to having had a whine once, when a security guard on one ship hit me in the back with a metal detecting wand and put me in bed for about three days (I'd only been out of a wheelchair a couple of months at the time) must say I wasn't happy about that, especially given that I am wanted a few times a day at work and have never had one hit me before.

But missing Ports, even vimitting with pain. Rather be on a cruise than at home/work.

We've missed a few Ports, once even THE Port that made me book that cruise.

Still had a great time, always knew that par of cruising wha a risk of missing a Port.

I will admit to having had a whine once, when a security guard on one ship hit me in the back with a metal detecting wand and put me in bed for about three days (I'd only been out of a wheelchair a couple of months at the time) must say I wasn't happy about that, especially given that I am wanted a few times a day at work and have never had one hit me before.

But missing Ports, even vimitting with pain. Rather be on a cruise than at home/work.

I remember that cruise GUT, ports swapped around, crossing the bass strait 4 times, you getting laid up, didn't realise you were vomiting from pain.:eek:

Anyway, it was still a fab cruise .:p

I can only remember one day on around 60 days of cruises when I actually slept in. I always seem to want to be up and running. So maybe my plan should be to sleep in? Love zumba on cruises!

Curious though Gut - those wands aren't huge - what happened to cause you so many issues?

Edited by Pushka

I remember that cruise GUT, ports swapped around, crossing the bass strait 4 times, you getting laid up, didn't realise you were vomiting from pain.:eek:

Anyway, it was still a fab cruise .:p

Sure was Mic in fact booked to do the same yet again (6th to Tas I think) in December.

Instead of Burnie we do Port Arthur which makes Mrs Gut happy.

Basically the same as our very first

I can only remember one day on around 60 days of cruises when I actually slept in. I always seem to want to be up and running. So maybe my plan should be to sleep in? Love zumba on cruises!

Curious though Gut - those wands aren't huge - what happened to cause you so many issues?

I have a spine condition, was in a wheelchair for 5 years he wasn't watching what he was doing hit me in the wrong spot, I was buggered. But hey while I wasn't happy and was really disappointed with the response of the shp, things happen. Still enjoyed the cruise, but then I enjoy any cruise. By the time we got home I was OK good enough to drive to Canberra and then back to the Hunter a trip that just a year earlier would have put me in hospital.

As Mic said crossed The Bass 4 times, one a bit rough the others OK.

Sure was Mic in fact booked to do the same yet again (6th to Tas I think) in December.

Instead of Burnie we do Port Arthur which makes Mrs Gut happy.

Basically the same as our very first

Great stuff and we all know that if Mrs GUT is happy, it makes you happy as well.:D

yep... that's it..... get on that ship and just enjoy enjoy enjoy - cant think of a bad day on a cruise (although - can think 'omg what am I doing here' in the midst of being sea sick lol... that's now ha)

How many times do I hear people say "I wish I could go on a cruise" or "You are just so lucky".... just do it :) - life is for living!!

How many times do I hear people say "I wish I could go on a cruise" or "You are just so lucky".... just do it :) - life is for living!!

+1

But, to be fair, many people don't realise how affordable cruises can be. They only look at the cost compared with say a resort hotel, and forget to add in the cost of their airfares, meals, entertainment etc.

+1

But, to be fair, many people don't realise how affordable cruises can be. They only look at the cost compared with say a resort hotel, and forget to add in the cost of their airfares, meals, entertainment etc.

Exactly, you can sometimes get a cruise for $200 per double per day, try getting that on land including, bed, food, entertainment, activities, waited upon by wonderful crew and taken to all these beautiful and interesting places.

I have never had a bad cruise, just some better than others, at the end of the day the crew make the cruise.

I was just thinking the other day, how much have I spent on 20 or so cruises since retirement in 2003, ye gods, I could have bought a $200,000 Winnebago mobile home, but have enjoyed every minute of cruising to different places in the world. So friends, enjoy, your cruising journey, life is short and remember.... 'Adventure Before Dementia.'

Edited by NSWP

We normally pay more for dinner (and that's usually subway or pizza or the such) hotel and brekky the night before we cruise than each night of the cruise.

And the closest thing to a bad cruise I've had was when my back was first getting REAL bad and in all honesty I should have been in hospital rather than on a ship so that was my own fault.

Thanks, compared to how I was a year or so back I'm almost perfect.:D

Mr Gut, Dr Chivas Regal works wonders as a lubricant for one's back, am having a wee dram right now.

Edited by NSWP

Exactly, you can sometimes get a cruise for $200 per double per day, try getting that on land including, bed, food, entertainment, activities, waited upon by wonderful crew and taken to all these beautiful and interesting places...

We've got a few of our cruises for even less than that! :D

E...I was just thinking the other day, how much have I spent on 20 or so cruises since retirement in 2003, ye gods, I could have bought a $200,000 Winnebago mobile home, but have enjoyed every minute of cruising to different places in the world....

But then you need to add on the cost of fuel, site fees, food etc. :eek:

And I personally don't particularly enjoy driving.

...So friends, enjoy, your cruising journey, life is short and remember.... 'Adventure Before Dementia.'

DW would say that it's too late for me because the dementia has already set in and we're only in our early 40s. Plenty of more cruises to look forward to. :cool:

Exactly, you can sometimes get a cruise for $200 per double per day, try getting that on land including, bed, food, entertainment, activities, waited upon by wonderful crew and taken to all these beautiful and interesting places.

I have never had a bad cruise, just some better than others, at the end of the day the crew make the cruise.

I was just thinking the other day, how much have I spent on 20 or so cruises since retirement in 2003, ye gods, I could have bought a $200,000 Winnebago mobile home, but have enjoyed every minute of cruising to different places in the world. So friends, enjoy, your cruising journey, life is short and remember.... 'Adventure Before Dementia.'

Very true, Cruising may not be the cheapest way to travel but it sure is one of my preferred methods.:D