dogs

jaxw17

Yup... usually service dogs.

Sometimes little lap dogs that claim to be diabetic alert dogs:

https://dogs4diabetics.com/about-us/faq/

Apparently, the dogs can smell elevated blood sugar and alert on it.

Sometimes seizure/epileptic alert dogs:

http://www.canines4hope.com/alert-dogs-medical-alert-dog-trainer-palm-beach-florida.htm

Sometimes fake service dogs:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/fake-service-dog-certificates_n_3709720.html

On our last cruise there was a Past Beauty Pageant Winners group (ages ranged from 20's to 80's). An older woman from this group had a dog on a leash or in a shoulder bag every time I saw her (she was usually wearing a jeweled crown as well). I was told it was a "therapy dog" by a cruise staff member.

Coincedentally, there was also a large singles group on this Halloween cruise and my sister and our 2 daughter's costumes were the Queen's of Cards. Our cheap rhinestone crowns were quite dewarfed on Halloween by those warn by past pageant winners. But, just imagine how all those single women in the organized singles group felt having all those past pageant winners on board!

On our last cruise there was a Past Beauty Pageant Winners group (ages ranged from 20's to 80's). An older woman from this group had a dog on a leash or in a shoulder bag every time I saw her (she was usually wearing a jeweled crown as well). I was told it was a "therapy dog" by a cruise staff member.

Coincedentally, there was also a large singles group on this Halloween cruise and my sister and our 2 daughter's costumes were the Queen's of Cards. Our cheap rhinestone crowns were quite dewarfed on Halloween by those warn by past pageant winners. But, just imagine how all those single women in the organized singles group felt having all those past pageant winners on board!

According to NCL's website the "emotional support/therapy" animals are not allowed.

On 3 different cruises we have been on there were service dogs. Two of these were NCL cruises and on the 1st day passengers were informed that a service dog was aboard in the Freestyle Daily. All 3 times we did see the dogs, all very well behaved and marked as service dogs.

We had the same notification on one of our cruises.

We saw the dog a number of times, very well behaved and doing a great job. People were very good round it too.

Mike

It doesn't matter what the support is for, if they have the right papers, NCL can't ask what the malady the dog is there for.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wavesprite, if you were responding to what I posted about what I cited from the NCL website they go by ADA guidelines which do not recognize emotional support dogs as service dogs.

From ADA.gov:

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

According to NCL's website the "emotional support/therapy" animals are not allowed.
Unfortunately some folks have learned to work the system, both on land and on the sea. When asked they say it is a service dog and companies are too afraid of a lawsuit to find out if they are a real service dog or a poser dog.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

I'm very passionate about stopping these posers from giving true service dogs a bad name by their behavior.

I was interested in this as there have been a few incidents I have read about of establishments giving veterans with PST a hard time about their service animals. On one hand, I don't understand why a dog would be needed to eat in a restaurant or go on a cruise. On the other hand, I am not a veteran, and have not served our country from a military capacity, nor do I have PST. So who am I to even have an opinion. So long as the dong isn't bothering me, I'm all good. :)

The way the law is written, in the US anyone can claim any dog is a service dog. There is no paper work and the person need only give one example of a service the dog performs. NCL may say that emotional support animals are not allowed to discourage people gaming the system, but the reality is they can not stop somebody from bringing a dog.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

NHL Arizona, I hope you are being proactive with your fight and lobbying the feds, because the ADA needs amending in this regard. Even if a prima donna brings her dog to a restaurant and everyone knows the dog is an accessory not a worker, there is nothing that can be done about it.

I was interested in this as there have been a few incidents I have read about of establishments giving veterans with PST a hard time about their service animals. On one hand, I don't understand why a dog would be needed to eat in a restaurant or go on a cruise. On the other hand, I am not a veteran, and have not served our country from a military capacity, nor do I have PST. So who am I to even have an opinion. So long as the dong isn't bothering me, I'm all good. :)

PTSD dogs are evaluated for potential, then sent for training. Once matched with a veteran, the handler and dog are trained together. I'm sure even the PTSD designation is being scammed, but there are legitimate programs.

My dad is a Vietnam Veteran with a panic disorder stemming from PTSD. He is severely impaired by this. It effects every part of his life. Without medication he experiences uncontrollable, very intense episodes of panic one after another. The term "losing your sh**" totally applies. I experienced him caught in it when it first started. I've never seen a human try to get out of their own skin. Its really terrible. Even with all his medication that now usually controls the panic attacks, he does have breakthrough episodes from time to time. There's no telling what triggers it but it happens. For the most part my dad doesn't leave his house at all. I'm sure the isolation does nothing to help his overall mental state. If only he felt safe or confident to go out in the world. So what could a trained dog do to help someone like him? First, the dog & it's care focuses the attention outside themselves. There are dogs trained to pick up on slight physiological changes that indicate an impending panic attack. The dog can alert the owner so they may have a chance to ward it off or get seated at least. In my dad's case he could take additional medication. Also, during a panic episode the dog would comfort and stay with his owner. The dog offers the support to allow someone like my dad to feel safer leaving his house. More confident.

All that said, my dad doesn't have a support dog. I wish he did. No, he will never go on a cruise or on any real vacation. He was in the Navy for 24 years. He's sailed around the world many, many times. I'm sad sometimes knowing I'll never get to experience places with him but such is life.

The price of freedom isn't free. It's a price paid not only by what our veterans sacrifice, it's also the children who don't get to have the adventures traveling with their parent, all the missed opportunities and time lost with grandkids who can't understand and only see a grandparent they think doesn't care enough to come see them. All the things the spouses forego to care for & protect their other half. It's hard. But that's why I can understand. Disabilities aren't always visible. :)

The way the law is written, in the US anyone can claim any dog is a service dog. There is no paper work and the person need only give one example of a service the dog performs. NCL may say that emotional support animals are not allowed to discourage people gaming the system, but the reality is they can not stop somebody from bringing a dog.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

NHL Arizona, I hope you are being proactive with your fight and lobbying the feds, because the ADA needs amending in this regard. Even if a prima donna brings her dog to a restaurant and everyone knows the dog is an accessory not a worker, there is nothing that can be done about it.

In fact, the cruise line can stop people from bringing "therapy" dogs onboard, but for the most part, they don't want the hassle. In the ADA case regarding cruise ships, Specter v. NCL, the Supreme Court ruled that foreign flag cruise ships had to abide by the ADA only in a small segment of compliance, namely removing barriers that were easily removed. Most tellingly, the Court said that barring a specific addendum from Congress that makes all aspects of the ADA applicable to foreign flag ships, that the "internal operations and policies" of the ships did not fall within the purview of the ADA. Congress has yet to make such an amendment to the ADA.

I am just wondering where these dogs go potty? lol

I was just telling my husband they need a dog park area and dog day care so we can take our dog with us!

You are all set!!

The QM2 (Cunard) has "kennels at sea", with attendants to care for the pets, and also walking area and lounge for owners to spend time with their pets in this special kennel area.

:)

Apparently the reservations are fully booked for a couple of years, and during dry dock this year, they are increasing the number of kennels.

I think this might be used for the Trans-Atlantic route only, but not sure.

It's always appreciated when one's dong behaves properly in public. :D