Prepaid Amex cards in the Carribean

2jeffs

We are sailing on the Summit next week and we are getting our finances in order. We are planning on using our credit cards for all of our shipboard purchases but would prefer not to use them much in ports. We have a couple of $500 prepaid Amex gift cards that we were thinking about using. Has anybody had experience using these in Carribean shops and restaurants and did you have any issues with them?

We are sailing on the Summit next week and we are getting our finances in order. We are planning on using our credit cards for all of our shipboard purchases but would prefer not to use them much in ports. We have a couple of $500 prepaid Amex gift cards that we were thinking about using. Has anybody had experience using these in Carribean shops and restaurants and did you have any issues with them?

Never did the prepaid cards but I would not count on any AMEX card being accepted in the Caribbean. I never take mine onshore as many small shops and restaurants don't take AMEX.

Amex is not widely accepted in the Caribbean.

Keith

We've never found that to be the case most of the time.

We always use AmEx first when traveling and though we, indeed, have been in shops that would not accept it, I would say in recent years, maybe 10% of restaurants/shops we patronized asked for Visa or M/C instead.

OP.... I would not depend solely upon being able to use your pre-paid AmEx cards but expect you should be able to use them especially in larger businesses/restaurants. Be sure to have a back up card with you just in case.

I always know I've got the lowest price when bargaining, when the merchant says he can do that price if I use a card other then Amex. But they do accept them many places. EM

But a lot of places don't. Even in the US. I was in Colorado in the mountains last year and pretty much only the hotels would take my AMEX. AMEX charges the merchants a higher fee so a lot won't sign up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515