Is It Just Regent

DeepFreeze63

All I know is Crystal provides the all inclusive wine list on request and a premium wine list. Our suite on our recent cruise it was in the suite.

Luxury lines do rotate wines from time to time.

Thanks for the input. On the list that Crystal provides, do you have a guesstimate as to how many wines are on the list (25 or more ...... 50 or ???) Also, when you order any of the wines on the list have you noticed if the entire stock of wines is nearby (or close enough so that guests do not have to wait - regardless of which wines they select?) Crystal ships (not including new ones) are quite a bit larger than Regent and I'm wondering where all of this wine is kept during dinner (or lunch) service.

Thanks much!

SuiteTravels has pointed out that Crystal is able to provide a wine list and alternate wines for those who are interested. I'm sure the guests don't need to worry and wonder how this is accomplished. Nobody wants to be stressed out on vacation ..And certainly the flip side of this is that anyone boarding a Regent ship is free to exclaim that they do not want the alternate wine list because it is not necessary. Luxury IS all about choices.

After reading these replies, I believe I misunderstood the original issue - I thought the earlier posts were asking for a wine list to be posted online (since that was the original direction of this thread - poor website). If the issue was the inability to get a wine list once onboard, I apologize. There should never be a problem with getting a wine list once on board. My point was with trying to predict in advanced which wines may be available...once the ship sails, I agree that a wine list should be readily available.

After reading these replies, I believe I misunderstood the original issue - I thought the earlier posts were asking for a wine list to be posted online (since that was the original direction of this thread - poor website). If the issue was the inability to get a wine list once onboard, I apologize. There should never be a problem with getting a wine list once on board. My point was with trying to predict in advanced which wines may be available...once the ship sails, I agree that a wine list should be readily available.

You did not completely misunderstand. Some posters want to see a wine list on the website.

The other side of the issue is giving wine lists to passengers. I'm waiting to hear from Suite Travels regarding how the wine lists work on Crystal because it is my understanding that Regent cannot have all wines (approximately 50) in Compass Rose and/or La Veranda just in case someone orders it. Ordering some wines requires a crew member to go to the cellar to get the wine which slows down service.

While some posters want to order from a list, we appreciate being able to tell the sommelier the type of wine that we like (Cabernet) - whether we like it dry or more fruity, etc. Wine lists means little to me because it tends to cause us to order only wines that we know rather than try something different than meets the criteria that we set forth.

Having reread this thread, I noticed that it was the OP that was interested in what other cruise lines were doing. So, some responses were about other cruise lines. I disagree that Regent is doing what other cruise lines are doing. They have new ideas and other cruise lines are following (particularly Silversea). IMO, Regent is not mediocre but you certainly have the right to feel otherwise.

In terms of "better internet", this will be happening quite soon (check out Regent's latest press releases).

As I have repeated too many times, I have no issue with Regent's website and do not feel that a wine list is necessary. You disagree which is fine.[/quote

Some of us can find fault with Regent in some areas without finding fault with everything. Because Regent can be described as mediocre in one aspect does not mean that Regent is entirely mediocre. I do not feel that Regent overall is mediocre so I'm not sure where that assertion comes from. But I do feel that they have areas that they are average or mediocre and sometimes even poor.

As for the Internet, I will believe it is improved if and when I experience it. In the past I was reassured by Regent that it was all going to be fixed (that was two or three years ago) and it isn't much changed.

As for the nonexistent wine list (I just checked again today with Regent staff) a number of people apparently would like one, thus the workarounds and postings on CC.

Also often lost in discussion is that there are usually options between all or nothing. It is hard to argue they can't do better than nothing.

On our first few Regent cruises I was unaware there was a printed included wine list. It was never mentioned and I never thought of asking. I was fortunate most of the wines of the day suited my taste, occasionally they did not and an alternative seemed to appear that I liked.

When I came across this cruise critic site I then found out about the wine list.

I agree with Fizzy. The passenger should not have to concern themselves as to how the wine is readily available or ease to provide it, it should be part of the luxury choice experience that Regent are advertising they provide. It would appear they do not lead the way in published wine list inclusions.

Thanks for the input. On the list that Crystal provides, do you have a guesstimate as to how many wines are on the list (25 or more ...... 50 or ???) Also, when you order any of the wines on the list have you noticed if the entire stock of wines is nearby (or close enough so that guests do not have to wait - regardless of which wines they select?) Crystal ships (not including new ones) are quite a bit larger than Regent and I'm wondering where all of this wine is kept during dinner (or lunch) service.

Thanks much!

I think the wine list is 50 or more. Somebody posted the list on the Crystal board and the alcohol list as well and I can't find it. When I took the galley tour they showed us the wine cellar which was huge and of course close to the MDR so access is very quick. The specialty venues or on a different level so it may take ten minutes for your premium wine to arrive. The suggested AI wines are on the menus for the pairing with the menu items. If you want something else they will provide you with a list if you don't like the wine they will change it for you.

On our recent cruise they changed a few wines and my favorite was not there:( which is Trilogy Mertage. The F&B manger knows the changes in advance of the sailing and will have the new list printed. I think all luxury lines know in advance know what wines will be stocked.

I think it is silly to worry about wines in advance of the cruise as I know a list will be on board and if I can't find something out of 50+ wines something is wrong with me.

We were in a top suite where we can have Cristal Champagne but it was replaced with Dom P so we had to suffer :D. In the CP the bottle is replaced when finished by your butler. The Cristal did not arrive at the port so it was substituted with Dom P.

Such problems.

Thanks Miles!:)

For other posters I want to clarify why I am asking how long it takes to get a wine - other than the ones listed on the menu. It is not to make passengers worry about - or even think about this issue. However, it is a fact that ordering certain wines onboard (even costly ones from the premium list) is that it takes time to get it. This is not our problem - it is Regent's. I assume this because of the proximity of the wine cellar to the restaurants (particularly if you are in La Veranda).

I noticed that there is difficulty in getting more than just wine at times. On the Mariner, if you want a cocktail at lunch in Compass Rose (deck 5), the only bars that are open on are decks 11 and 12 (Pool Bar and Observation Lounge). IMO, this particular issue could be easily fixed by opening the Mariner Bar during lunch which is outside of the door of CR.

When you regularly drink a certain wine as we do, they do make sure that it is available in CR before you even get there. "Our" wine has even followed us to Sette Mari and the specialty restaurants.

Luxury cruise lines do everything in their power to comply with passenger requests in a timely manner, however, they are not magicians. They can't have everything at their fingertips. Once you wait for a bottle of wine, you will receive the same great service as passengers ordering the wines of the day. Also, communication is important. Spend 4-5 minutes of your vacation to talk to the head sommelier - let her/him know your preferences and expectations. This has worked for us - just as dining in the same section of CR most nights enables servers to learn your likes and dislikes. One of our favorite servers knows our preferences so well that he will turn back food in the kitchen because he knows that it is not cooked to our liking.

On the other hand, if a "list" is important to you, speak to the F&B Director. BTW, I have not seen a full list of included wines at the wine tastings nor do they have all of them available for tasting. As I recall, there are a couple of red and white wines from a few regions (Chili, Italy, France - for instance). From what I have observed in CR, most people order the wines of the day. It isn't like Regent is prepared to bring 5 or 6 wines out of the cellar for you to taste during dinner. They are not set up for this. If you tell them what you like, they usually can select a wine that is just what you are looking for.

Edited by Travelcat2