Is It Just Regent

DeepFreeze63

Dave, thanks for the information. Interesting to learn that Silversea is following in Regent's footsteps once again.

DeepFreeze63: Thanks to you as well for sharing where the typo on the Regent website was. That sounds like a mistake that I would make (cutting and pasting without changing what needed to be changed). Regent staff is moving to NCL headquarters -- perhaps it has happened already.

UUNetBill: Good points!

CruisetheCs: Guess we will continue to disagree. As many posters know, I have posted the spirits and wine list a few times while onboard the ship. I personally do not see a need for a online wine list as the "available" wines on each ship will differ at any point in time.

It is interesting that the "issue" of the website is being brought up by existing Regent customers. I have yet to see a post from someone that wanted to book Regent but changed their mind because of the website.

What truly puzzles me is following comment in your last post: "If the motto is only that we follow what others do rather than lead, ( i.e., other cruise lines don't publish room availability so Regent doesn't also) then Regent has poor management ". As posted previously, it is fairly obvious that cruise lines do not want to open access to the number of cabins that have not yet been sold. Regent did take the lead by not only allowing a person to book online but also to select their suite.

Regent has definitely been a leader in the luxury cruise arena. They had more "firsts" than any other luxury cruise line. Regent was the first to put strict smoking guidelines in place (which was eventually followed by Silversea, Crystal and, to a lesser extent, Seabourn). Regent set the "new standard" for the Elegant Casual dress code (Silversea remains the only one of the four top luxury lines to have maintained their "formal" dress code). I believe that Regent was the first to implement included air, pre-cruise hotel stays, pre and post cruise trips and the list goes on. The latest benefit being copied is included excursions.

While some people do not like the website, IMO, it cannot be said that Regent follows or copies what other luxury cruise lines do. Regent always seems to be first.

Yes, Travelcat, I do believe we will continue to disagree. My point is that people have things they want Regent to improve or change, whether it be the website, providing a wine list somewhere (I don't care so much where, as long as it is on the ship), or improving the Internet experience onboard. The argument that other lines also don't do something misses the point. Regent can do what others do or it can excel. The fact that they excel in some areas doesn't take away from the legitimacy of someone's complaint about a current shortcoming.

My belief is that trying to blunt criticism by saying that other cruise lines do the same thing is an argument for mediocrity, not an argument for excellence.

As for wine lists, if you are satisfied with no wine list that's fine, but it doesn't take away from the legitimacy of someone else's wish for a list.

And I simply do not buy the argument that Regent can't publish a wine list because they have too much turnover of inventory. There is technology to track most anything and I'm sure they don't load supplies without knowing how much of each item they have. If they can publish several menus that change every day I'm sure they can publish a wine list. (And actually they do have a "preferred" wine list, but not a "free" wine list.). Somehow they have a tracking system for every guest, every excursion, and every penny spent onboard. Tracking cases of wine doesn't seem like rocket science.

As for Regent always being first, I wonder why a first-time current Regent cruiser told me two days ago that the Internet on Princess is much better than the ...."expletive deleted" on Regent.

Yes, Travelcat, I do believe we will continue to disagree. My point is that people have things they want Regent to improve or change, whether it be the website, providing a wine list somewhere (I don't care so much where, as long as it is on the ship), or improving the Internet experience onboard. The argument that other lines also don't do something misses the point. Regent can do what others do or it can excel. The fact that they excel in some areas doesn't take away from the legitimacy of someone's complaint about a current shortcoming.

My belief is that trying to blunt criticism by saying that other cruise lines do the same thing is an argument for mediocrity, not an argument for excellence.

As for wine lists, if you are satisfied with no wine list that's fine, but it doesn't take away from the legitimacy of someone else's wish for a list.

And I simply do not buy the argument that Regent can't publish a wine list because they have too much turnover of inventory. There is technology to track most anything and I'm sure they don't load supplies without knowing how much of each item they have. If they can publish several menus that change every day I'm sure they can publish a wine list. (And actually they do have a "preferred" wine list, but not a "free" wine list.). Somehow they have a tracking system for every guest, every excursion, and every penny spent onboard. Tracking cases of wine doesn't seem like rocket science.

As for Regent always being first, I wonder why a first-time current Regent cruiser told me two days ago that the Internet on Princess is much better than the ...."expletive deleted" on Regent.

Well said

It is very important that Regent takes every opportunity to differentiate its offering

Most of the niggles and shortcomings outlined in this thread could be corrected with minimal effort and at very little expense

Well said

It is very important that Regent takes every opportunity to differentiate its offering

Most of the niggles and shortcomings outlined in this thread could be corrected with minimal effort and at very little expense

Here's a thought: maybe TC2 could use her good graces and ask Regent to resolve the web-site" issue"; there use to be a Seven Seas Advisory Group. Perhaps Mr. Del Rio could have his alma mater, the University of Florida (a very respected computer science/information school) to develop a protocol so that Regent's employees/contractors could easily check the links/geography/spellings before they inputted the web-site and offered the information to the public - including the customers who have or will provide Regent with tens (probably hundreds) of thousands of dollars/pounds of revenue!

As they say, the devil is in the details. I still maintain that the reason Regent (and other cruise lines) don't publish cabin availability or wine lists or other wildly changeable variables weeks or months in advance is that, inventory tracking systems aside, cruise lines operate under a different business model than airlines or resort hotels, and it's not feasible to track cabins OR wine supplies accurately.

I guarantee that most passengers would prefer to not know in advance what cabin they're in or what wine is on board rather than expect something that can't be provided.

One question: How far in advance would you like to have A) your cabin assignment, and B) a wine list for your cruise?

Here's a thought: maybe TC2 could use her good graces and ask Regent to resolve the web-site" issue"; there use to be a Seven Seas Advisory Group. Perhaps Mr. Del Rio could have his alma mater, the University of Florida (a very respected computer science/information school) to develop a protocol so that Regent's employees/contractors could easily check the links/geography/spellings before they inputted the web-site and offered the information to the public - including the customers who have or will provide Regent with tens (probably hundreds) of thousands of dollars/pounds of revenue!

And yet another question: What, exactly, is wrong with the Regent website? Do we have any specific examples? So far I've heard about broken links and "Norwegian" being misspelled. And yes, I've spotted a few errors in the past, but they've been corrected quickly. But I still maintain it's not the 'hobby shop' kludge it's being made out to be. If it's that bad, maybe we could get some current examples? Seriously - I'm curious. Thanks.

And yet another question: What, exactly, is wrong with the Regent website? Do we have any specific examples? So far I've heard about broken links and "Norwegian" being misspelled. And yes, I've spotted a few errors in the past, but they've been corrected quickly. But I still maintain it's not the 'hobby shop' kludge it's being made out to be. If it's that bad, maybe we could get some current examples? Seriously - I'm curious. Thanks.

Based upon about 15 minutes looking at the two Regent Explorer cruises that interest me:

1. Tried the "Plan My Cruise" to check cabin availability; looked at F2 availability. Drop-down doesn't work. Layout isn't even for the Explorer; looks like layout of Mariner (notice comment about tubs instead of showers). "End Booking Process" link at top took me back to main Regent page rather than cruise page that I was investigating.

2. "Explore the Ship" for the Explorer - On Deck 10, a click for new "New Specialty Restaurant" (remember its had a name for a while) leads to a blank page rather than a pictorial. Same for "La Veranda/Sette Mari on Deck 11!

3. "Explore the Ship" for the Explorer - Deck 14 layout looks like the original that was modified some time ago - at least not the same as in the slick brochure "Seven Seas Explorer, the Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built" that I received in the mail some time ago.

I could also look at some of the Far East Regent cruises that might interest me, but my favorite soccer (Football) team is about to play.

Really thought that I showed the many ways that Regent has led the luxury cruise market (and continues to do so). What I provided was facts - not my opinion.

In any case, Regent does read these boards and will see that a handful or so of their passengers do not like their website and will learn that some passengers want them to spend yet more money (that will be passed on to us) to have a new website or at least one that can track wine. I'm sure that all of us could write a list of things that we would like Regent to change in order to make the Regent Experience perfect for us. The problem is that Regent cannot please everyone.

UUNetBill: I like your question asking the specifics of what posters find wrong with the Regent website.

flossie009: Agree that some of the "link" issues can be addressed easily. And, as stated previously, they can delay putting new itineraries on the website until they are fully functional. Many times when Regent puts out itineraries 18 months in advance, contracts are not in place with either excursion providers or airlines.

Perhaps we should start a poll to determine whether posters would prefer to have the 2nd half of 2017 itineraries debut in March/April or wait until the website is fully tested. From what I have been told from G.M.'s, some new itineraries are not finalized until days before they go onto the website.

CruisetheCs: Regent does have a wine list available on the ship. You just need to ask for it. There is a good reason why Regent does not hand out their complimentary wine list to everyone. Unlike Oceania, Regent has so many wines available that they cannot have a full supply of them in CR every night. Most passengers seem to order the "wines of the day" which are fully stocked in the restaurant - these wines can be accessed and poured quickly. When you select another wine, it necessitates going into the wine cellar and getting it. The staff do not mind getting it but it takes time. Anyway, wine availability of ships is probably a discussion for another thread.

.................. it's not feasible to track cabins OR wine supplies accurately.

I guarantee that most passengers would prefer to not know in advance what cabin they're in or what wine is on board rather than expect something that can't be provided.

One (Two?) question: How far in advance would you like to have A) your cabin assignment, and B) a wine list for your cruise?

Sorry to disagree but IMO it is pretty certain that Regent track cabin availability accurately and also must have a comprehensive stock control system for their wine and other provisions.

Answering your questions:

A) Unless we opt for a 'Guarantee' we expect to choose our cabin at time of booking. Our TA and Regent are always able to tell us what numbers are available; therefore this information could easily be made available on the website. (No details of cabins available can be accessed on the Regent UK website)

B) We would like a list of complementary wines to be made available in our cabin on boarding; and to be updated throughout the cruise as necessary. On our last two cruises we have requested a list but to no avail. (Requests were made to our Butler and to the Head Sommelier)

We do not believe that we are expecting something that cannot be provided

On the specific question of the website, Regent should ensure that it provides what their customers' require i.e. comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date information presented in an easy to navigate format (no broken links etc)

Interestingly, they are working on the Regent website as I write this (there is a pop-up giving this information on the site - something that is "new" for Regent to do).

Again, cruise lines generally do not want to make it easy to see cabin availability (and I don't blame them - who wants their competition to know if a cruise is selling poorly?) Giving passengers the ability to book online also gives us the opportunity to check available cabins but I do not believe that this was Regent's intention when they added this feature to their website.

Wines is a whole other discussion. Perhaps, as with menus, Regent could post a sample of the wines available ..... but, even then, it could cause chaos in CR if they had to have their entire list of complimentary wines on hand in order to quickly respond to a guest requesting one of 50+ wines. There is no room for this. The only solution is to cut back the amount of complimentary wines offered. Since Oceania has a small list, all wines are available - put on a cart in both their La Veranda equivalent restaurant as well as in their main dining room. The list of complimentary wines is small enough to fit on a small menu. Below is a complimentary wine list from a year ago. I wonder how many bottles of each wine would have to be on hand in CR in order to provide quick service to their guests.

Compass Rose White

Pinot Grigio - USA - Trinity Oaks

Trebiano, Malvasia - ITALY - Frascati Candida

Sauvignon Blanc - CHILE - Tributo Caliterra

Macabeo/Chardonnay - SPAIN - Bodegas Castaño Alicante

Chardonnay - AUSTRALIA - Jackaroo

Grechetto/Procanico/Verdello Canaoilo Bianco - ITALY - Ruffino Orvietto Classico

Insolia - ITALY - Insolia Corvo

Chardonnay - CANADA - Pelee Island

Compass Rose Rosé

Granache, Syrah - FRANCE - Chateau Minuty

Compass Rose Red

Cabernet Sauvignon - CHILE - Santa Gloria Reserve

Cabernet Sauvignon - USA - Hess Select

Merlot - USA - Passo Creek

Pinot Noir - USA - Backhouse

Zinfandel - USA - Cline Ancient Vines

Shiraz - AUSTRALIA - Weighbridge by Peter Lehmann

Syrah, Grenache & Carignan - FRANCE - M. Chapoutier Bila-Haut

Malbec/Syrah - CHILE - Etnico L.E. Reserve

Nero D'Avola - ITALY - Nero D'Avola Corvo

Malbec - ARGENTINA - Reto

Cabernet Sauvignon - ARGENTINA - Reto

Mariner/Voyager Signatures

Chardonnay - FRANCE - Macon-Lugny Saint Pierre

Sauvignon Blanc - FRANCE - Sancere Le Grand Buis

Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot - FRANCE - Chateau Haut-Bourcier CV Bordeaux

Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre - FRANCE - Chateauneuf de Pape Les Grama Chais de France

La Veranda

Pinot Grigio - ITALY - Santa Margherita

Cortese di Gavi - ITALY - Principessa Gavia Gavi

Sangiovese - ITALY - Placido Chianti

Corvina, Molinara, Rondinela - ITALY - Valpolicella Classico Superiore

Prime 7

Chardonnay - USA - Hogue Genesis

Sauvignon Blanc - USA - Rodney Strong

Meritage - USA - Robert Mondavi Private Selection

Champagne & Sparkling

HP Champagne - FRANCE - Montaudon

In Suite Champagne - FRANCE - Jacquart Brut Mosaique

HP Sparkling - FRANCE - Phillipe Dublanc

Sparkling Setti Mari - ITALY - Prosecco Val Doca

Other Wines

Alcohol free White Wine - USA - Ariel Chardonnay

Alcohol free Red Wine - USA - Ariel Cabernet Sauvignon

Riesling - GERMANY - Piesporter Riesling Deinhaed

Riesling - AUSTRALIA - Grand Barossa Tanunda

Chardonnay - USA - La Terre

White Zinfandel - USA - Woodbridge White Zinfandel

Muscatel - CHILE - Santa Gloria Late Harvest

Merlot - FRANCE - Côté Soleil IGP

Merlot - USA - Murphy-Goode

Côte du Rhone - FRANCE - De Beauchene

Marselan, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, Merlot - ITALY - Eccomi Super Premium Red Wine

Cabernet Sauvignon - USA - Paripaso

Cabernet Sauvignon - USA - La Terre

Carignane, Mourvedre, Syrah - FRANCE -

Maybe we should have a thread where passengers could put their "wish list" for Regent on it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Interestingly, they are working on the Regent website as I write this (there is a pop-up giving this information on the site - something that is "new" for Regent to do).

Excellent news

Again, cruise lines generally do not want to make it easy to see cabin availability (and I don't blame them - who wants their competition to know if a cruise is selling poorly?)

Sorry, you have lost me; what is the advantage to competitors in knowing what is selling well or badly?

Giving passengers the ability to book online also gives us the opportunity to check available cabins but I do not believe that this was Regent's intention when they added this feature to their website.

In the UK we cannot book on-line and cannot check available cabins on-line

Wines is a whole other discussion. Perhaps, as with menus, Regent could post a sample of the wines available ..... but, even then, it could cause chaos in CR if they had to have their entire list of complimentary wines on hand in order to quickly respond to a guest requesting one of 50+ wines. There is no room for this. The only solution is to cut back the amount of complimentary wines offered. Since Oceania has a small list, all wines are available - put on a cart in both their La Veranda equivalent restaurant as well as in their main dining room. The list of complimentary wines is small enough to fit on a small menu. Below is a complimentary wine list from a year ago. I wonder how many bottles of each wine would have to be on hand in CR in order to provide quick service to their guests.

What on earth is the point of a ship stocking 50+ different wines if it then does not make their guests aware of this fact and then does not allow the guest access to this impressive variety? This is the sort of obtuse thinking that niggles many guests. In our experience not only is the complementary wine list not made available to guests, but many of the sommeliers do not know what is available day by day; only by getting hold of the Head Sommelier can we get a reasonably comprehensive answer as to what is available if the offered wine does not suit our palate

Thanks for the wine list, but I am sure it will be out of date by the time of our next cruise

Maybe we should have a thread where passengers could put their "wish list" for Regent on it.

Good idea as long as the thread does not degenerate into a heated debate about dress code and smoking ;):D

See comments in red above

Sorry to disagree but IMO it is pretty certain that Regent track cabin availability accurately and also must have a comprehensive stock control system for their wine and other provisions.

Answering your questions:

A) Unless we opt for a 'Guarantee' we expect to choose our cabin at time of booking. Our TA and Regent are always able to tell us what numbers are available; therefore this information could easily be made available on the website. (No details of cabins available can be accessed on the Regent UK website)

B) We would like a list of complementary wines to be made available in our cabin on boarding; and to be updated throughout the cruise as necessary. On our last two cruises we have requested a list but to no avail. (Requests were made to our Butler and to the Head Sommelier)

We do not believe that we are expecting something that cannot be provided

On the specific question of the website, Regent should ensure that it provides what their customers' require i.e. comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date information presented in an easy to navigate format (no broken links etc)

Of course I expect to know my cabin number when we reserve or else that would be a guarantee......take a chance at a lower rate. I can't imagine thinking otherwise. P eople want access to what they pay for It isn't the customers problem to figure out how to provide what is advertised...and paid for. Whatever wine is supposed to be available should be available to everyone without it being a big secret that only some people are aware of. And guests should not be made to feel that it is a big pain for the staff to provide these "other" wines when requested. The idea that the guests just have to be understanding is confounding. There is no reason not to provide this list on boarding day.

Are complete included wine lists handed out to all passengers on Silversea, Seabourn or Crystal? Just curious. And, I did give what I feel is a good reason why Oceania can and does provide lists and why Regent does not. It is their decision and passengers don't have to be understanding, they need to decide which cruise line meets most of their requirements since no one cruise line can meet all of them.

If Regent's website and lack of a wine list is a deal breaker, that is a decision that the passenger is making (just as Crystal's dining policy and Seabourn's smoking policy is a deal breaker for us). Apparently you can now check suite availability on Silversea and I believe that they have some included excursions (not sure about the wine list as we did not see any on our three Silversea cruises). So, Silversea may be a good option for posters that do not feel that Regent is meeting your needs.

Note: I do put my money where my mouth is. The "concierge" program was almost a deal-breaker for us which is why we sailed on Silversea (quite a good cruise line). While Silversea met many of our requirements, we returned to Regent and are much happier now that we have sailed another line (actually two - we tried Oceania twice). We learned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I also learned that bashing Regent for everything (which I did for almost a year), only accomplished one thing and that is getting myself upset. Regent will continue to be successful with or without us. It is our choice that it will be "with us".

Edited by Travelcat2

Are complete included wine lists handed out to all passengers on Silversea, Seabourn or Crystal? Just curious. And, I did give what I feel is a good reason why Oceania can and does provide lists and why Regent does not. It is their decision and passengers don't have to be understanding, they need to decide which cruise line meets most of their requirements since no one cruise line can meet all of them.

If Regent's website and lack of a wine list is a deal breaker, that is a decision that the passenger is making (just as Crystal's dining policy and Seabourn's smoking policy is a deal breaker for us). Apparently you can now check suite availability on Silversea and I believe that they have some included excursions (not sure about the wine list as we did not see any on our three Silversea cruises). So, Silversea may be a good option for posters that do not feel that Regent is meeting your needs.

Note: I do put my money where my mouth is. The "concierge" program was almost a deal-breaker for us which is why we sailed on Silversea (quite a good cruise line). While Silversea met many of our requirements, we returned to Regent and are much happier now that we have sailed another line (actually two - we tried Oceania twice). We learned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I also learned that bashing Regent for everything (which I did for almost a year), only accomplished one thing and that is getting myself upset. Regent will continue to be successful with or without us. It is our choice that it will be "with us".

I do not recall anyone talking about 'deal-breakers'; and IMO it is irrelevant what Silversea, Oceania or other cruise lines do or do not do. This is the Regent board and therefore discussion should centre on what Regent do or do not do.

We love the Regent offering and hope to sail with them for many years to come. However that does not stop us and others from having criticisms which we air on this board as well as bringing to the direct attention of Regent management both on-ship and onshore.

This is not Regent bashing, it is simply a case of trying to make a good product even better. If Regent (and NCL) management have any commercial sense they will recognise that some small, inexpensive and easily introduced improvements could really impress their present and prospective future customers

The door was opened to other cruise lines when the discussion went to whether or not Regent is a leader or follower in the luxury cruise industry. They are, IMO, definitely a leader. Also, IMO, if Regent's website is being criticized, why can't we look and compare Regent's website to their competition to see if we find them easier to work with or not? This information could be helpful for Regent to know.

There is definitely no reason that people can not post what they would like to see Regent do to better itself (in the opinion of the poster) nor is there a reason that other posters have to agree. If, for instance, if Regent was thinking about taking the time and paying the money to change their website, would it not be because the majority of their customers requested it? Should they not read both sides of the issue?

Thankfully, this has been a civil debate - even if both sides are expressing strong feelings. There is no right and wrong - simply differences of opinions.

Of course I expect to know my cabin number when we reserve or else that would be a guarantee......take a chance at a lower rate. I can't imagine thinking otherwise. People want access to what they pay for It isn't the customers problem to figure out how to provide what is advertised...and paid for. Whatever wine is supposed to be available should be available to everyone without it being a big secret that only some people are aware of. And guests should not be made to feel that it is a big pain for the staff to provide these "other" wines when requested. The idea that the guests just have to be understanding is confounding. There is no reason not to provide this list on boarding day.

it is irrelevant what Silversea, Oceania or other cruise lines do or do not do. This is the Regent board and therefore discussion should centre on what Regent do or do not do.

This is not Regent bashing, it is simply a case of trying to make a good product even better. If Regent (and NCL) management have any commercial sense they will recognise that some small, inexpensive and easily introduced improvements could really impress their present and prospective future customers

+1 on both points.

Most especially the idea that suite choice should be available at the time of booking and specifically prior to deposit.

When is a suite "unavailable"? When it has been booked by someone. That a particular suite may come available again in the future (i.e. Deposit not made, subsequently cancelled) doesn't change the fact it is not available to me at the time of 'my' booking.

If it is important to me to get suite X and it is booked at the time I make a reservation, I ask my TA to keep an eye out for it to become subsequently available.

On the issue of the wine list, I want to know what is available and make an informed choice for myself. I don't want to take the wine of the day because that is what they have out and easily available if there are other options I would prefer more. Also I don't want to have the Argentinean Cabernet "suggested" to me as an alternative red if my preference would in fact be the Chilean Cabernet (just to use the wine list options mentioned above as an example as in actuality I prefer neither of those). If I need or want "guidance" I'll ask. Otherwise, give me the options and let me choose OR acknowledge the "options" are not nearly as vast as discussed and apparently only for those who know 'the secret handshake'.

ededmd: Have you ever booked a Regent cruise when you were not told (or could not see on the website) what is available (not counting "guarantee's")? I have not heard of anyone booking a cruise on Regent without booking a specific suite. What one can do is book suite and waitlist another suite. In this case your do have your suite number but are hoping for a different suite which is currently booked. Not sure if this is an issue at all.

ededmd: Have you ever booked a Regent cruise when you were not told (or could not see on the website) what is available (not counting "guarantee's")? I have not heard of anyone booking a cruise on Regent without booking a specific suite. What one can do is book suite and waitlist another suite. In this case your do have your suite number but are hoping for a different suite which is currently booked. Not sure if this is an issue at all.

As you know when quoting someone who is quoting someone else, the "original" quote doesn't appear.

My comment is directed in agreement to fizzy's reply to UUNetBill's comment:

"I guarantee that most passengers would prefer to not know in advance what cabin they're in or what wine is on board rather than expect something that can't be provided.

One question: How far in advance would you like to have A) your cabin assignment, and B) a wine list for your cruise?"

and to the idea that "I'd be interested to know when you'd mark a cabin as 'booked' - when someone makes a reservation? When they make a deposit? When it's paid in full?"

In reality, there is only a debate on this and several other similar threads because a single person who appears to be overly protective of Regent no matter what is said about their cruise line and seems to continually either misread or not read their or others posts and thereby makes comments that are self-serving rather than in scope to the discussion of others.

If this person would actually read and comprehend what they and others write and stop posting dissenting comments on almost every thread, the debates that are created would become extremely limited.

The door was opened to other cruise lines when the discussion went to whether or not Regent is a leader or follower in the luxury cruise industry. They are, IMO, definitely a leader. Also, IMO, if Regent's website is being criticized, why can't we look and compare Regent's website to their competition to see if we find them easier to work with or not? This information could be helpful for Regent to know.

There is definitely no reason that people can not post what they would like to see Regent do to better itself (in the opinion of the poster) nor is there a reason that other posters have to agree. If, for instance, if Regent was thinking about taking the time and paying the money to change their website, would it not be because the majority of their customers requested it? Should they not read both sides of the issue?

Thankfully, this has been a civil debate - even if both sides are expressing strong feelings. There is no right and wrong - simply differences of opinions.

Whar other lines do is often raised as some kind of justification for the status quo. "Other lines don't do that" is a customary refrain to explain why Regent should not be criticized. My point had to do with specific criticisms being discussed, not whether regent wins a contest based on the number of first, seconds or thirds it wins. If Regent excels in one area, it does not mean that they get a pass on fixing other deficiencies. The number of "first places" is irrelevant to the discussion of current website problems IMO.

Yes, one can look at what others do, but if the justification is that regent is just doing what other cruise lines are doing, then Regent is not excelling in that area.

I don't see anyone objecting to looking at what other cruise lines do in order to improve what Regent is doing. The issue is using other cruise line's mediocrity to justify Regent's mediocrity.

Really thought that I showed the many ways that Regent has led the luxury cruise market (and continues to do so). What I provided was facts - not my opinion.

In any case, Regent does read these boards and will see that a handful or so of their passengers do not like their website and will learn that some passengers want them to spend yet more money (that will be passed on to us) to have a new website or at least one that can track wine. I'm sure that all of us could write a list of things that we would like Regent to change in order to make the Regent Experience perfect for us. The problem is that Regent cannot please everyone.

CruisetheCs: Regent does have a wine list available on the ship. You just need to ask for it. There is a good reason why Regent does not hand out their complimentary wine list to everyone. Unlike Oceania, Regent has so many wines available that they cannot have a full supply of them in CR every night. Most passengers seem to order the "wines of the day" which are fully stocked in the restaurant - these wines can be accessed and poured quickly. When you select another wine, it necessitates going into the wine cellar and getting it. The staff do not mind getting it but it takes time. Anyway, wine availability of ships is probably a discussion for another thread.

There are some changes that are likely to please everyone and displease no one. These include a better website, a wine list, and better internet

I have asked two sommeliers and a guest services director for a wine list and all have given the same response, that there isn't such a list except for wines to purchase.

Whar other lines do is often raised as some kind of justification for the status quo. "Other lines don't do that" is a customary refrain to explain why Regent should not be criticized. My point had to do with specific criticisms being discussed, not whether regent wins a contest based on the number of first, seconds or thirds it wins. If Regent excels in one area, it does not mean that they get a pass on fixing other deficiencies. The number of "first places" is irrelevant to the discussion of current website problems IMO.

Yes, one can look at what others do, but if the justification is that regent is just doing what other cruise lines are doing, then Regent is not excelling in that area.

I don't see anyone objecting to looking at what other cruise lines do in order to improve what Regent is doing. The issue is using other cruise line's mediocrity to justify Regent's mediocrity.

Having reread this thread, I noticed that it was the OP that was interested in what other cruise lines were doing. So, some responses were about other cruise lines. I disagree that Regent is doing what other cruise lines are doing. They have new ideas and other cruise lines are following (particularly Silversea). IMO, Regent is not mediocre but you certainly have the right to feel otherwise.

In terms of "better internet", this will be happening quite soon (check out Regent's latest press releases).

As I have repeated too many times, I have no issue with Regent's website and do not feel that a wine list is necessary. You disagree which is fine.

We were on the Voyager, Dubai to Cape Town and my husband went to the wine tasting a day or two after we boarded. He was given a wine list there and ticked off the wines he tasted and likened. Most nights he took it to dinner and if the recommended wines didn't appeal they were always happy to offer something on his list.

Some of the people we dined with took photos of the list, but most people we got to know were happy to try his choice.

It seems a visit to the wine tasting is the way to go if you want a list. :)

It feels as though Regent keeps the included wine lists top secret. Many people ask for a copy to no avail. If Crystal can provide this, and they will have considerably more copies to produce on the larger ships why can't Regent?

Jillyf that's a good idea about the copy of wines at the wine tasting but not everybody attends that.