Zika virus

Jaylie

Just a note from one very concerned expectant Dad and Princess Elite cruiser to everyone saying the situation may be overblown. My Wife and I took a December Caribbean Cruise at 18 weeks pregnant as we are both avid Princess cruisers and wanted to squeeze in one more, just the two of us. No warnings had been issued yet. However, having recently sat in the Dr's office and been told the potential seriousness of the situation, my Wife and unborn Son being potentially affected, a series of CDC tests and waiting periods begun and sleepless nights any prayers. Please don't make light of it, downplay it, or take it less seriously than it should be. We are in the scared phase of potentially life altering questions and issues for our son. Thanks for letting me rant.

I don't consider that a "rant" at all....That is an important message to many. We hope that all will be well for you and your family. Thanks to posting!

Just a note from one very concerned expectant Dad and Princess Elite cruiser to everyone saying the situation may be overblown. My Wife and I took a December Caribbean Cruise at 18 weeks pregnant as we are both avid Princess cruisers and wanted to squeeze in one more, just the two of us. No warnings had been issued yet. However, having recently sat in the Dr's office and been told the potential seriousness of the situation, my Wife and unborn Son being potentially affected, a series of CDC tests and waiting periods begun and sleepless nights any prayers. Please don't make light of it, downplay it, or take it less seriously than it should be. We are in the scared phase of potentially life altering questions and issues for our son. Thanks for letting me rant.

Not a rant at all. I hope all turns out ok for your wife and your little one. We'll keep you in our thoughts!

• 1 month later...

It appears that much of the early information on this thread is totally outdated. The CDC has issued a warning that the Zika virus CAN BE SPREAD person to person and that is how it apparently was spread to Brazil during the World Cup. The CDC and World Health Organization also have issued warnings that the danger is not only to pregnant women but has been proven to cause Guillian Barre, which is a serious disease with no cure.

Having said all that the chances of contracting the disease are still small, but should not be dismissed as it has been in some of the previous posts.

Edited by artbcpa

It appears that much of the early information on this thread is totally outdated. The CDC has issued a warning that the Zika virus CAN BE SPREAD person to person and that is how it apparently was spread to Brazil during the World Cup. The CDC and World Health Organization also have issued warnings that the danger is not only to pregnant women but has been proven to cause Guillian Barre, which is a serious disease with no cure.

Having said all that the chances of contracting the disease are still small, but should not be dismissed as it has been in some of the previous posts.

Thanks for the updates. I just received many texts and an email from Celebrity which stated that I should contact my travel agent if I had any concerns. I have packed all my repellent and lightweight but long sleeved light colored clothing for my upcoming cruise. The other diseases carried by this same mosquito are equally if not even more dangerous so prevention is key. thanks again!!

The other diseases carried by this same mosquito are equally if not even more dangerous so prevention is key. thanks again!!

Very true, and also that it may not be limited to that one species of mosquito. There is increasing evidence that it may also be transmitted by different genus and species of mosquito - much more common and a nighttime feeders, not a daytime feeder. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/who-may-be-leading-brazil-down-wrong-path-on-zika-virus/article29390468/)

If you're not pregnant, I can't see why people would be concerned.

I used to say the same thing, except now they're also seeing sexual transmission of the virus -- person to person transmission means the pregnant person doesn't have to be the one bitten by the mosquito. Plus, it is most dangerous in the first trimester of pregnancy, and some women don't even know they're pregnant for 6 or 8 weeks.

Thanks for sharing the updates. I had stopped worrying about this since I am no longer of the child bearing years, but I just googled Guillian Barre and it is not something I would want to experience!!!

I completely understand why pregnant women and those who want to be pregnant would avoid mosquitos, but it sounds like the issues with Zika are worse than first described!! Mosquitos love me, so I always use repellant, but usually not deet. I was using a baby one from Target that is great. I still usually end up with at least three mosquitos bites when I go to Mexico or Hawaii, but I'm OK with that. Now, I will be more diligent with spray and get deet (YUK). Better to be safe than sorry!

Very true, and also that it may not be limited to that one species of mosquito. There is increasing evidence that it may also be transmitted by different genus and species of mosquito - much more common and a nighttime feeders, not a daytime feeder. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/who-may-be-leading-brazil-down-wrong-path-on-zika-virus/article29390468/)

Absolutely ... I read that as well and definitely will be using DEET, which is something I haven't used in years. As of late, mosquitoes tend to eat me alive. Maybe a change in diet or maybe just a change of where I have been. I was just covered in bites from Mexico in December....not sure what kind of bug, though. Itchiest bites ever!!

My upcoming cruise just came with e-mail and text warnings. I really think they would let me back out but probably not for the airfare and I am all packed now. I will just be diligent about the bug spray and all the other precautions! Again...thanks so much for posting.

I would like an answer to this concern also. We're (DH & myself) going on a B2B southern caribbean in May and DD (not traveling with us) just found out she's pregnant.

I would ask a doctor, not form members . They situation is too important to rely on hearsay.

WOW, have you been paying attention?. This is no longer just about pregnant women. Don't say you haven't been warned!

As a young female Australian currently living in South East Asia, and where the Zika virus is currently prevalent, I'm hardly not paying attention.

I am well aware that the Zika virus has the potential to be sexually transmitted, in addition to suggestions that it causes the incurable inflammatory Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Unfortunately I, and anyone who travels to high risk areas are at risk. I am also at risk of getting hit by a car each morning on my way to work. As I similarly have the potential to be caught up in terrorist bombings within the country. While being attentive is a must, none of these things, including Zika virus, can ultimately be prevented unless you lock yourself up in your own home.

No one should let mosquitos, or your outrageous scare tactics stop them from enjoying a well deserved cruise.

As a young female Australian currently living in South East Asia, and where the Zika virus is currently prevalent, I'm hardly not paying attention.

I am well aware that the Zika virus has the potential to be sexually transmitted, in addition to suggestions that it causes the incurable inflammatory Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Unfortunately I, and anyone who travels to high risk areas are at risk. I am also at risk of getting hit by a car each morning on my way to work. As I similarly have the potential to be caught up in terrorist bombings within the country. While being attentive is a must, none of these things, including Zika virus, can ultimately be prevented unless you lock yourself up in your own home.

No one should let mosquitos, or your outrageous scare tactics stop them from enjoying a well deserved cruise.

Amen.