New York-Area Ports Shut Down as Longshoremen Walk Off the Job

The article did not mention that this was for the cruise port. It seemed only for freight.

Do you have more information?

None, other than there were impacts in New Jersey. It may be there were no ships at Cape Liberty, so no strike impacts. If you really want to get attention deny the public their cruise.

Longshoremen belong to both freight and passengers cruise. Right now you only hearing the freight because Anthem is not here till Feb 6. Let hope it resolve before handed otherwise the USCG have to pull in the Anthem

Unions..... useless....

Really? You're going to use a CC forum to call the unions useless? Apparently you don't know that if it weren't for the unions we wouldn't have a 40 hour work week, or health care benefits from our employers, or safer working conditions for laborers, or aid to workers who were hurt on the job, or still have child laborers.

Longshoremen belong to both freight and passengers cruise. Right now you only hearing the freight because Anthem is not here till Feb 6. Let hope it resolve before handed otherwise the USCG have to pull in the Anthem
Nobody "pulls" in the Anthem.

Really? You're going to use a CC forum to call the unions useless? Apparently you don't know that if it weren't for the unions we wouldn't have a 40 hour work week, or health care benefits from our employers, or safer working conditions for laborers, or aid to workers who were hurt on the job, or still have child laborers.
Used to seeing posts like this from this person, not surprising at all....

Thank you! Very well said.

I don't really care about unions one way or another.

None of what you have credited to unions is true, please look it up.

Since I belong to a union family, I do know the history. It started in the early 1900's with the Ford Motor Company and GM and some marches and some sit-down strikes. Finally in 1938, Congress passed President Roosevelt's Fair Labor Standards Act.

Have a good day.

Since I belong to a union family, I do know the history. It started in the early 1900's with the Ford Motor Company and GM and some marches and some sit-down strikes. Finally in 1938, Congress passed President Roosevelt's Fair Labor Standards Act.

Have a good day.

Anita,

I won't dispute your interpretation, but it is just that. Unions have taken credit for a lot of things when depression era politics tried to create more jobs. The original FLSA was 44 hours.

Unfortunately unions also won't take credit for laws they also got passed to keep out minorities.

It is what it is. If you are happy with unions, that is your life. No one should criticize you for your beliefs. But my interpretation of history is different than yours.

Enjoy your next cruise.

Maybe your post is generalizing, so my response is do some of your own 'checking up" without making a blanket statement....:rolleyes:

Maybe your post is generalizing, so my response is do some of your own 'checking up" without making a blanket statement....:rolleyes:

Please don't lecture me. I know the unions claims are not true. They take credit for something that Henry Ford started voluntarily, 35 years before congress passed the FLSA at 44 hours, not 40. The only reason it was passed was a feeble attempt by congress to create jobs during the depression.

Unions also fail to mention the many laws that were passed with their lobbying to prevent minorities from working.

You are the one making a blanket statement, by assuming I know nothing about unions. Perhaps you need to do your own 'checking up', I already did.

More and more states are giving their workers the rights that unions stole from them. It's called the 'right to work'.