Debating on X or RC

NOSaints1

My DW and I are in our mid 30s only have been on Carnival, we don't smoke or have any kids and not into rock climbing, zip lining. Has anyone been on both give us some insight between the two my DW is leaning towards RC and I'm leaning towards Celebrity.

Between the two, I imagine X has better food

RC probably leans in Entertainment

Ship layout?

Cabin size?

Customer service

Is Celebrity more for adults and RC is more for family's?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are also mid-30s and I like both equally. If both are available to me for the same week I want to go on a cruise, I go with the lower price, itinerary, or ship I'd rather be on. I would give X a more overall relaxed/upscale feel, RC a more fun/entertainment feel. With kids, I'd definitely lean toward RC, but I also wouldn't hesitate to bring them on X if everything else were equal. (I know you said you don't have kids, but just a perspective) I'd give X the edge on customer service.

So I'm not much help but I find myself torn between the two frequently. I'm trying to decide Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for an Alaska cruise this summer, and I can think of reasons I'd rather be on each one. Honestly, you can't go wrong. I think you'd have a great time no matter which one you choose.

Edited by texasweather

My DW says X might be to fancy for us

In what respect? A cruise is as relaxed and casual or as busy and fancy as you make it. We enjoyed our Alaskan cruise on Celebrity last year. There are some things that X does very, very right (the no indoor smoking, the food in general both buffet and dining room, the service in general, for starters). Sadly, they are not within our price range very often or we would certainly cruise with them more often.

X is slightly more "fancy" than RCI, but not so much that's you'd notice. They don't have hairy chest contests or Quest, but there are still lots of fun games.

If I were in my 30's I'd pick RCI if it were going where I want to go. There are lots of fun things to do on RCI like Ice Skating show, Quest, pool games, and it's just a lot more lay back feel. You'll find more people your age and more night life.

That said, we really love Celebrity as well and there's something to be said for a quieter, slightly more fancy, cruise sometimes. Celebrity also has a better smoking policy and some really cool specialty restaurants. If you want a longer cruise you can typically get more 10-14 day itinerary on X and there are typically fewer children. The buffet on X is slightly better too, IMO.

You can't lose on either. Both have pluses.

One cool thing to remember about RCI and X is once you get to a loyalty status on one you can use it on the other so, for example, if you reach Diamond on RCI you can be Elite on X as well.

We kind of like, at least, a little elegance and pampering on a cruise. We work for a living like so many others and for a week or so it's nice to be treated a little more special than usual. So, there's really nothing wrong with a little bit fancy.

Tom

We started cruising in our 30th. Our first cruise ship was Celebrity Infinity and we felt in love with Celebrity. Since then we cruised on Celebrity Summit once and on Celebrity Silhouette twice. Also we cruised on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. To compare 2 cruise lines I would mention the following:

1. Celebrity is more upscale, BUT not stuffy at all. You can dress up or down as much as you wish. Yes, you should dress nicely for the formal dinners in the main dining room or specialty restaurants, but this is it.

2. Service is better on Celebrity. Everywhere.

3. Layout is different on all ships, but I liked it on all our ships, bot X and RC.

4. Food is much better on X, especially if you compare buffet food and main dining room food. On RC I had a feeling that they serve food of lower standards in the main dining room to force cruisers go to the specialty restaurants (and pay for it).

5. X has more lay back feeling, more relaxing. Even on the smaller X ships I felt more space and quiet than on RC.

6. And the last point that made me to always prefer X line - on RC FOS during our cruise I just had a feeling that they try to squeeze as much additional cash from us as possible. Everywhere - specialty dining, extra tips, pictures. This feeling was in the air.

So my family and I think that X is more classy and gives you more for your money. Just want to mention that we have 2 kids who started cruising with us since they were 5. And they also like Celebrity better. They say that kids club on Celebrity is much better than on RC.

To conclude my long review I want to mention that this April we are going on RC Allure of the Seas. The reason is of course the ship. I am curious to experience the biggest ship on earth, even though we are also not in rock climbing and ziplining. :)

Probably cause her sister who is a TA said its fancy now she's convinced.

Thanks for the info, NOSaints1, I've been considering X myself, having only cruised Royal, with the exception of one time . Great screen name you have...

My DW and I are in our mid 30s only have been on Carnival, we don't smoke or have any kids and not into rock climbing, zip lining. Has anyone been on both give us some insight between the two my DW is leaning towards RC and I'm leaning towards Celebrity.

Between the two, I imagine X has better food

RC probably leans in Entertainment

Ship layout?

Cabin size?

Customer service

Is Celebrity more for adults and RC is more for family's?

We just took our first Celebrity cruise and took a RC one last year.

To answer your questions:

1) We thought Celebrity had better food in general, we liked the dining room on RC better but Celebrity had better food to us and more choices on the buffet, cafe, etc. (We only did free options). We preferred Celebrity's food.

2) Both mid size ships, both easily walk-able, more seating on X as in deck chairs available and tables to eat at. On RC, we struggled to find a table sometimes to eat at the buffet.

3)Cabin sizes were comparable, laid out better on X because of the layout of the beds and such. On RC, our bed was facing the door, on X the room was just roomier but probably same square footage or maybe a tiny bit bigger. Bathroom better on RC. Attendants equally as good on both ships.

4) On our cruise in Jan. saw maybe 15 or 20 kids total on X. Probably the time of the year. On RC there was more but not a lot. We have only cruised during school season.

5) Entertainment much better on Celebrity

As far as "fancy", I thought people would dress better etc. probably on X because of the way the dress code was worded, but it was the same. We cruised out of New Orleans last year and Ft. Lauderdale this year. You'd see some people dressed at night or then somebody in shorts. The dress code was not enforced in the theatre or dining room that I could tell. If it was enforced, some slipped through. Majority seemed to be smart casual. They had signs out in front of the buffet/cafe entrance that said no swimsuits, etc. in front of the buffet and everyday I'd see someone in their suits/coverup eating (this was out of Ft. Lauderdale) in there. On this ship, the pool was close to the buffet. I saw some shorts in the dining room. You'd see everything---people dressed up from people dressed down big time. We dressed more like smart casual and were in the norm at night for sure. This ship was not "fancy" by any means but I liked it a lot---I like both X and RC. We have only done the one RC and X cruises and I thought they were very much on par....go and enjoy the one with the best price and ports!

Edited by tgms

Does RC offer 7 days out of NJ to Bermuda, cause that's where I would love to go

Most of the Bermuda cruises are 9 nights, but they do have one 7 night cruise in May that hits Bermuda and Boston.

Most of the Bermuda cruises are 9 nights, but they do have one 7 night cruise in May that hits Bermuda and Boston.

Bob... Gotcha....

Historically, RCI does 5 night bermuda sailings out of Bayonne (2 days in Bermuda) while X does 7 night sailings (3 days in Bermuda).

The 9 night ones are Eastern Caribbean with a single day stop in Bermuda.

Steve

Bob... Gotcha....

Historically, RCI does 5 night bermuda sailings out of Bayonne (2 days in Bermuda) while X does 7 night sailings (3 days in Bermuda).

The 9 night ones are Eastern Caribbean with a single day stop in Bermuda.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I forgot about the 5-day cruises.

One I'm looking at is NOS, to the ABC islands and Labadee how is this ship?

This is the one we choose, it's our first on rci. I don't know much about the ship but we have been to Aruba before and loved it and the other ports sound amazing too! I think the ports are my first priority with the ship being second.

My DW says X might be to fancy for us

I have only been on one X ship, so maybe it varies but I did not feel like it was fancier in the least. I enjoyed X but I would not recommend it to families with teens, which is what we were. The teen club was too small. My DH and myself decided that we would stick to Royal with kids in tow and X if it was just us. I did think the food was better on X and entertainment better on Royal.

During the months of May- August, Celebrity's Summit does 7 nights to Bermuda and your in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days.

Heads up- this was the X cruise that we took. In the summer, there are more kids than normally on X. I can say this because the crew members told us. I would not think this summer cruise with X is a "normal" X experience. BUT Bermuda was stunning!!!

I'm glad I found this thread. This is my first post in 8 years... I read the forums often but I often don't feel that I have something worthy of contributing that someone else hasn't already mentioned. A brief cruise history - I've been on 6 cruises, 3 with Carnival (2 on Fantasy and 1 with Imagination) and 3 with Royal (Radiance, Adventure, Mariner). My first RC cruise was Radiance, which was her very first sailing to Alaska. I thought Carnival was awesome, but then I found this amazing ship. RC is currently my go to for my cruising fix. It still remains my favorite. I'm 38 years old, but I am an old soul and more comfortable around older crowds. I'm toying with cruise ideas for a honeymoon, whenever that will be. My fiancee is also an old soul type, even though she's the same age as me. She's "only" been on one cruise. I've been on enough to know that's it's important to choose a line that best suits your personality. When I first started out, I thought it was all the same. Ha... Anyway, my first idea for a honeymoon cruise would be to Alaska again. I'm currently debating between Radiance and Celebrity Solstice. It's been 14 years since I've seen Radiance. Is the magic gone? Is it now just a tired old ship? Does Solstice hold a candle to Radiance? Is it more subdued than Radiance? My fiancee is a foodie, and an extraordinary cook. Is the food better on X than RC? These are the questions rattling in my mind currently.. I love cruising, and it's important that my future wife does too. If not, I'll have some deep seated issues...

We've been on both ships and they are both terrific in their own ways. Solstice is larger and has great food and shows. Radiance is more intimate, and has a great personality. I wouldn't hesitate going again on either and I'd likely base it on the itinerary. Solstice, for example, is too large to go to Hubbard Glacier (I think).

Congrats on upcoming honeymoon!

Tom

I'm glad I found this thread. This is my first post in 8 years... I read the forums often but I often don't feel that I have something worthy of contributing that someone else hasn't already mentioned. A brief cruise history - I've been on 6 cruises, 3 with Carnival (2 on Fantasy and 1 with Imagination) and 3 with Royal (Radiance, Adventure, Mariner). My first RC cruise was Radiance, which was her very first sailing to Alaska. I thought Carnival was awesome, but then I found this amazing ship. RC is currently my go to for my cruising fix. It still remains my favorite. I'm 38 years old, but I am an old soul and more comfortable around older crowds. I'm toying with cruise ideas for a honeymoon, whenever that will be. My fiancee is also an old soul type, even though she's the same age as me. She's "only" been on one cruise. I've been on enough to know that's it's important to choose a line that best suits your personality. When I first started out, I thought it was all the same. Ha... Anyway, my first idea for a honeymoon cruise would be to Alaska again. I'm currently debating between Radiance and Celebrity Solstice. It's been 14 years since I've seen Radiance. Is the magic gone? Is it now just a tired old ship? Does Solstice hold a candle to Radiance? Is it more subdued than Radiance? My fiancee is a foodie, and an extraordinary cook. Is the food better on X than RC? These are the questions rattling in my mind currently.. I love cruising, and it's important that my future wife does too. If not, I'll have some deep seated issues...

Does RC offer 7 days out of NJ to Bermuda, cause that's where I would love to go

RCI Explorer did a 7 night to Bermuda from Bayonne, NJ It was great. Explorer now does Asia, etc. I would not spend so much for a 5 day when other lines go to Bermuda for 7 days!! RC also has a 9 night, which has 1 day docked at the Royal Dockyard for several hours. Bermuda is beautiful. Been there on cruises 5x. May even consider going away on another line for 7 nights...However, not summer. Learned that lesson 2 summers ago with the Dawn. It was last week of August into early Sept., Who knew there would be 700 kids on board and not very well behaved!!! Horrible. They took over the pool and hot tubs. Pool had to be closed for almost 2 days to be "sanitized"...The dining room was so loud you could not hear yourself think! Even the waiters were frustrated and didn't care how they served. Just wanted everyone gone.

People, please. no diapers in pools or hot tubs! young or old alike. ruins it for everyone.

safe travels.