Gem 1/22 - some practical lessons and a little encouragement

formerjar

The girls are 'luckier' if you want to call it that, as their studies include more secular education as they are looked on to be the family breadwinner while the male children devote their time to the study of the Talmud and religious education.

I wouldn't call the girls in these Orthodox Jewish families "lucky" in any sense of the word. Ten kids, anyone? (And I say this as a Jewish female who grew up in Brooklyn.)

Edited by Turtles06

Just wanted to put a few more thoughts out there on the Gem 1/22 10 day run.

I am a former crew member -- worked as an entertainer on NCL, RCI, and Cunard through the 1990s and 2000s.....my husband, daughter and I have cruised together 4 times as passengers -- all out of NYC, 3x on the Gem. Even so - I learned some VALUABLE lessons on this cruise that I hope can be of encouragement and help.

Yes. There was a giant storm. We threw snowballs on a cruise ship, and I'd never done that. It was awesome. It was rocky the first 2 days -- like my old transatlantic days on the QE2 rocky -- I LOVE that! My husband and daughter, not so much...so they wore sea bands. We were fine. If you cruise in the winter, be prepared for storms. Roll with it. (hah hah - see what I did there?)

Yes. The Yeshiva group was awful. Horrible people - an entitled, rude, nasty group that challenged every liberal open-minded value I hold dear - but it was just that group, I know, and not an entire population of people. Made for good conversation about stereotypes with my 11 year old. Another plus -- when my ADHD child is shocked by other childrens' behavior and ability to get banned from the kids club for the entire cruise before the second day? I feel just a little better about my own parenting skills. :)

Okay -- the nuts and bolts of what this haggard sea hag actually learned on her third trip on the Gem:

UDP -- we chose the UDP over UBP because my husband doesn't drink. We considered trying to switch that back after we did the math, knowing that we didn't NEED to eat in a specialty venue EVERY night. But given the affect the aforementioned group had on the main dining rooms, it turned out to be the best choice ever. We had UDP for all three of us, and my daughter now has a steak and lobster palette, for sure. With the new a la carte prices we ate well over $1000 worth of fantastic food, in delightful ambiance, with excellent service. MUCH more than my bar bill....although I will hold out for that "pick two" perk before I book again, because I was jealous of the people who had both. Five out of ten nights would have been fine though; sometimes you just want a burger and beer out in the Great Outdoors while you watch the stars. :)

iCONCIERGE -- this was THE DEAL! My daughter was able to check herself in and out of the kids club, which saved us the 45 minute drop off/pick up experience that was only thus because of - you guessed it -- the aforementioned Yeshiva group. That for some reason had to drop of their children as a family herd, pushing in front of anyone waiting, and then spending 15 minutes berating the staff before bustling off. But I digress -- my daughter loved this first shot at independence. She proved herself well -- texting us where she was, and when she got there. Being able to converse with one another freely across the ship proved vital for my husband and I later in the cruise....

AFT BALCONY - BEST MONEY SPENT EVER. We had a balcony aft on 10 (10668), which became our haven from the chaotic pool deck. It was not only overcrowded and terrorized by Yeshiva, but honestly, got too windy and cold to really enjoy yourself up there on the first and last days. We had 80 degree sun all day, both final days at sea. My tan is awesome! The aft balconies on 10 have 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a table. The sail aways, too, were glorious, and sunsets and views magnificent. I sailed quite happily in inside cabins for a decade, and questioned spending the extra dough; I will never question that again.

ALWAYS BUY THE INSURANCE AND ALWAYS TAKE AN NCL TOUR. This was the biggest learning I had on the trip - and counter to everything I believed I knew about cruising. We always book tours privately - they are the same tours for less money and usually very well run. We never buy the insurance because...we spent the money on the aft balcony. But this time we did, knowing that job issues could have caused us to cancel after the cancellation date. And in Tortola, we took the ship sponsored tour to Virgin Gorda and The Baths because of the short time in port and the guarantee that we would not be left behind.

My husband was "that guy" who broke his foot at the bottom of the Baths, mis-calculating distance between rocks. We are young and healthy -- but stuff happens. And the tour company (Speedys) was useless in helping him. They had no medical kit, no triage plan, no CLUE how they were going to get him off of the rock at the bottom of the hill and back to the ferry/back to the ship. They left us stranded. BUT (and more on this in moment) God sent angels in the form of our fellow cruisers and three random tourists from Canada. One fellow passenger, a nurse, was beside my husband (on the top of a very scary rock!) triaging and stabilizing him before I could find the so called tour guide. When the tour guide could not produce any kind of medical kit or tape to help stabilize what we thought could be a snapped Achilles or broken ankle, this God-sent fellow passenger (and several others) set out to carry my husband up the rocky hill. They were met halfway up by the three Canadian tourists, one of whom was a paramedic. They got my husband up the hill, made a stabilizing boot out of cardboard and toilet paper, and set us off to the ferry in the car of a now very relieved Speedy tour guide. When we got to the ship, we received ex-rays, cast, and crutches. And chocolate covered strawberries. :) THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART -- HAD WE NOT BOUGHT THE INSURANCE, THIS WOULD HAVE COST US THOUSANDS. HAD WE NOT BEEN ON AN NCL SPONSORED TOUR, THE INSURANCE WOULD HAVE BEEN MOOT. As it was - they could have airlifted us to Puerto Rico (if it was warranted) and put us up there until the injury was stable, then fly us home - and all would have been covered. His medical bills on land, now? Covered. Lesson SO learned - and we are SO grateful.

A FINAL LESSON - and perhaps this actually was the most important. Humanity is good. We encountered some of the nastiest, ugliest individuals and groups of individuals we have ever met on this cruise. But. We also met some of the kindest, self-less, classiest people ever as well. And that's the lesson, isn't it? Cherish the good. From the roll call peeps we shared slot pulls and balcony sail-aways with, to the kind and attentive staff, to the ANGELS who carried my husband up that hill while I tried to keep our daughter calm, to the random people on that Baths tour who sent my husband drinks (which I happily consumed) and gave us well wishes. I have more faith in humanity than I ever had before.

OKAY ONE MORE LESSON -- crutches? Will get you disembarked seamlessly. And you can find a porter easily in the baggage claim. And they will take you upstairs to arrivals, where you can catch a cab without having to cross the West Side Highway.

We will sail NCL again. But not on Yeshiva week. :) And we hope to sail again with some of you wonderful people who helped teach us, this trip, about what's really important.

Beautiful, uplifting post-thankyou

Terrific and thoughtful review. I'm so glad that neither the bad behavior of other passengers NOR your husband's injury (owwww!) ruined your trip. You've got a terrific attitude, and sounds like you're teaching all the right lessons to your child. Best wishes for your husband's quick recovery (and your calm, level head probably helped get you through that crisis after his accident! Yikes!)

Just wanted to put a few more thoughts out there on the Gem 1/22 10 day run.

I am a former crew member -- worked as an entertainer on NCL, RCI, and Cunard through the 1990s and 2000s.....my husband, daughter and I have cruised together 4 times as passengers -- all out of NYC, 3x on the Gem. Even so - I learned some VALUABLE lessons on this cruise that I hope can be of encouragement and help.

Yes. There was a giant storm. We threw snowballs on a cruise ship, and I'd never done that. It was awesome. It was rocky the first 2 days -- like my old transatlantic days on the QE2 rocky -- I LOVE that! My husband and daughter, not so much...so they wore sea bands. We were fine. If you cruise in the winter, be prepared for storms. Roll with it. (hah hah - see what I did there?)

Yes. The Yeshiva group was awful. Horrible people - an entitled, rude, nasty group that challenged every liberal open-minded value I hold dear - but it was just that group, I know, and not an entire population of people. Made for good conversation about stereotypes with my 11 year old. Another plus -- when my ADHD child is shocked by other childrens' behavior and ability to get banned from the kids club for the entire cruise before the second day? I feel just a little better about my own parenting skills. :)

Okay -- the nuts and bolts of what this haggard sea hag actually learned on her third trip on the Gem:

UDP -- we chose the UDP over UBP because my husband doesn't drink. We considered trying to switch that back after we did the math, knowing that we didn't NEED to eat in a specialty venue EVERY night. But given the affect the aforementioned group had on the main dining rooms, it turned out to be the best choice ever. We had UDP for all three of us, and my daughter now has a steak and lobster palette, for sure. With the new a la carte prices we ate well over $1000 worth of fantastic food, in delightful ambiance, with excellent service. MUCH more than my bar bill....although I will hold out for that "pick two" perk before I book again, because I was jealous of the people who had both. Five out of ten nights would have been fine though; sometimes you just want a burger and beer out in the Great Outdoors while you watch the stars. :)

iCONCIERGE -- this was THE DEAL! My daughter was able to check herself in and out of the kids club, which saved us the 45 minute drop off/pick up experience that was only thus because of - you guessed it -- the aforementioned Yeshiva group. That for some reason had to drop of their children as a family herd, pushing in front of anyone waiting, and then spending 15 minutes berating the staff before bustling off. But I digress -- my daughter loved this first shot at independence. She proved herself well -- texting us where she was, and when she got there. Being able to converse with one another freely across the ship proved vital for my husband and I later in the cruise....

AFT BALCONY - BEST MONEY SPENT EVER. We had a balcony aft on 10 (10668), which became our haven from the chaotic pool deck. It was not only overcrowded and terrorized by Yeshiva, but honestly, got too windy and cold to really enjoy yourself up there on the first and last days. We had 80 degree sun all day, both final days at sea. My tan is awesome! The aft balconies on 10 have 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a table. The sail aways, too, were glorious, and sunsets and views magnificent. I sailed quite happily in inside cabins for a decade, and questioned spending the extra dough; I will never question that again.

ALWAYS BUY THE INSURANCE AND ALWAYS TAKE AN NCL TOUR. This was the biggest learning I had on the trip - and counter to everything I believed I knew about cruising. We always book tours privately - they are the same tours for less money and usually very well run. We never buy the insurance because...we spent the money on the aft balcony. But this time we did, knowing that job issues could have caused us to cancel after the cancellation date. And in Tortola, we took the ship sponsored tour to Virgin Gorda and The Baths because of the short time in port and the guarantee that we would not be left behind.

My husband was "that guy" who broke his foot at the bottom of the Baths, mis-calculating distance between rocks. We are young and healthy -- but stuff happens. And the tour company (Speedys) was useless in helping him. They had no medical kit, no triage plan, no CLUE how they were going to get him off of the rock at the bottom of the hill and back to the ferry/back to the ship. They left us stranded. BUT (and more on this in moment) God sent angels in the form of our fellow cruisers and three random tourists from Canada. One fellow passenger, a nurse, was beside my husband (on the top of a very scary rock!) triaging and stabilizing him before I could find the so called tour guide. When the tour guide could not produce any kind of medical kit or tape to help stabilize what we thought could be a snapped Achilles or broken ankle, this God-sent fellow passenger (and several others) set out to carry my husband up the rocky hill. They were met halfway up by the three Canadian tourists, one of whom was a paramedic. They got my husband up the hill, made a stabilizing boot out of cardboard and toilet paper, and set us off to the ferry in the car of a now very relieved Speedy tour guide. When we got to the ship, we received ex-rays, cast, and crutches. And chocolate covered strawberries. :) THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART -- HAD WE NOT BOUGHT THE INSURANCE, THIS WOULD HAVE COST US THOUSANDS. HAD WE NOT BEEN ON AN NCL SPONSORED TOUR, THE INSURANCE WOULD HAVE BEEN MOOT. As it was - they could have airlifted us to Puerto Rico (if it was warranted) and put us up there until the injury was stable, then fly us home - and all would have been covered. His medical bills on land, now? Covered. Lesson SO learned - and we are SO grateful.

A FINAL LESSON - and perhaps this actually was the most important. Humanity is good. We encountered some of the nastiest, ugliest individuals and groups of individuals we have ever met on this cruise. But. We also met some of the kindest, self-less, classiest people ever as well. And that's the lesson, isn't it? Cherish the good. From the roll call peeps we shared slot pulls and balcony sail-aways with, to the kind and attentive staff, to the ANGELS who carried my husband up that hill while I tried to keep our daughter calm, to the random people on that Baths tour who sent my husband drinks (which I happily consumed) and gave us well wishes. I have more faith in humanity than I ever had before.

OKAY ONE MORE LESSON -- crutches? Will get you disembarked seamlessly. And you can find a porter easily in the baggage claim. And they will take you upstairs to arrivals, where you can catch a cab without having to cross the West Side Highway.

We will sail NCL again. But not on Yeshiva week. :) And we hope to sail again with some of you wonderful people who helped teach us, this trip, about what's really important.

Great review. We enjoyed meeting you at the Meet and Greet. You summed it up perfectly. We had a great time despite the few who wanted to spoil a fun cruise for the rest of the passengers. Hope your husband is feeling better. We were also on the same Baths excursion. Our 12 yo daughter was with us and had a blast, even though she never used the kids club.

Such great information, thanks! We are sailing on Gem in April, and got the excursion package rather than the drink or beverage ones. I was starting to think that was a bad idea since everyone says to book privately, but this makes it sound wise! We already learned our lesson about trip insurance, since my daughter broke her pelvis two days before a scheduled trip to Europe, and thanks to insurance purchased on a whim, we got a full refund.

Thanks for your review. I always buy insurance and use ship sponsored tours....I can cruise without worries.

As far as the group....as a Jew, I am totally embarrassed that people would lump us "regular people" in with them. They are certainly not representave of anything other than their own tight knit community. Besides the fact that I'm a Zionist, that my husband was almost killed while he was in the Israeli army etc....my dear brother...who is in "that community" has told us that we aren't Jewish. So, please people....don't condemn us because of those rotten apples.

You are so correct and that is why I have no issue with descriptions of this group as nasty...rude etc....

Because it is that group....not the entire religion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the baths on our Jan 2-12 cruise. The so called guides were non existent and no return time was clearly disseminated

Everyone was concerned about this so after we got through the caves and were swimming at Devils bay and chatting with all the incredible people on this cruise....including a number of really smart nice young 20 somethings...

I was so impressed with one very little thing that one approx 23 yo guy did....

Around 9:30

We had all been trying to decide what time to go back up and the consensus was 10:15 give or take

At 10:00 that guy came out to us ...me and my 2 college daughters....and said "we are going to start heading up in about 10 minutes".

I was simply amazed that he would remember to tell me and since he was with a gf it was not that he did it in order to impress my 2 gorgeous girls Such a simple unexpected gesture and here I am a month later still lamenting about it

And yes I did see this group having a little party time around the pools and hot tubs on sea days and I would imagine they had the ubp and stayed up late in the disco

But no disrespect to crew or other pax and much respect to others on our baths excursion

Heck a father son team was helping me thru the caves as my dd's and I got separated at one point

Son stayed in front of me and the dad in back of me

And everyone was relaying info to those behind them...

Rocks...sandy area...steps...slippery...time to climb...etc

Such wonderful pax on our cruise it renewed my hopes.

No....not weathy areas. As a mater of fact...a large per centage are on public assistance.

in my family, the fathers don't work, at least in the traditional sense. Yet, the mothers wear designer clothing.

I know what you are saying is in fact true

The "taxable incomes " that is reported by these massive families...10 kids not unheard of....will for the most part qualify them for food stamps....Medicaid......WIC...section 8....free diapers in all sizes lol for their 4 yo who has bladder issues...among many other benefits

I know from where I speak....

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, why did BA skip SJ?

Med evac on first day at sea by the coastguard by helicopter.

The ship had to slow down and get closer to the coast to be in range of the chopper.

Later that night the captain announced that Puerto Rico was a "no go "

Thank you so much for your review and glad your husband is going to be OK, I did read about him on another post! We've decided against doing the Baths on our March trip because it's so short and because I have sciatica issues...probably not a good match!

Sorry you had to deal with the Yeshiva group....from my own personal experiences with them here in NJ, they are a very entitled people....very different from the Jewish people that I grew up with and worked with in Massachusetts, so i would NEVER lump them all together.

I think I have read about 5 reviews of this cruise so far and I'm wondering if any passengers confronted any of the Yeshiva families when they were behaving badly? I really don't think that I could sit back and watch it happen myself...:mad:

I think I have read about 5 reviews of this cruise so far and I'm wondering if any passengers confronted any of the Yeshiva families when they were behaving badly? I really don't think that I could sit back and watch it happen myself...:mad:

I know one particular American family did confront them, but the Yeshiva family called for security and made a massive scene saying the Americans were drunk! It was ridiculous!

I cruised on the Gem this past November...and had the most wonderful and relaxing cruise.....Never once, did i see an adult of child out of line.....

Read all the reviews on the 1/22/16 cruise....and thank you for all the information....I will certainly avoid sailing the last two weeks in January.... I am apauled to think that nothing was said to them...and how their unruly children were acting....I also was reading that this group use to sail Carnival Splendor when the ship use to sail out of NYC....Since then, this group has been banned to sail on Carnival Cruise Lines.... this should be done...on all cruise lines....it some group comes onboard and acts like this....also was reading that this group also sailed NCL Dawn when Dawn use to sail of of NYC....the kids blocking stairways...pushing elderly people....many injuries....one broken ankle, and one broken leg....due to thes unruly children purposely tripping people....there is no excuse for parents and children acting this way....these people should have been put of the ship PERIOD!!!!! and what is wrong with NCL? But it did say Captain on the Dawn...sent a letter out to every person in their stateroom....saying if there were any more outbursts that the people and their children that they will be taken off the ship in the next port of call....and they can find their own transporation home.....Hope that there was enough complaints and letters sent to NCL so maybe they will look into this matter more in depth....

Something has to be done...as this group arent the only people sailing this ship...they think that they can do and say whatever they want...and noone else can tell them otherwise....Well what about all the other paying passengers, they vacation on the Gem....Arent they taken into consideration....and how much they spent to sail this 10 day caribbean sailing.... Just because they are a big group does not entitle them to think that the entire ship is their's for the 10 nights.... Believe i know about these people and they are the most rudest people that i know...and their children are no better.....and what about the school? Doesn't the school teach them how to respect others when out in public.....I dont have any mercy on them...

But again thank you for this information...and i will definitely make sure i do not sail in January...

I was on this cruise ,it was the worst cruise I have ever been on!The adults were as bad a the children.There was another thread that was taken down by CC,I guess they didn't like the true opinions of the majority of the other travelers..I for one can not forgive NCL and will never travel with them again unless they ban this obnoxious group of low lives..

ALWAYS BUY THE INSURANCE AND ALWAYS TAKE AN NCL TOUR. This was the biggest learning I had on the trip - and counter to everything I believed I knew about cruising.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART ... HAD WE NOT BEEN ON AN NCL SPONSORED TOUR, THE INSURANCE WOULD HAVE BEEN MOOT.

Hi, thanks for the detailed review, it was a nice read. :)

I have to ask one question though as to me it seems that you are either over-generalizing or mixing things a bit, so: Why would an insurance be moot had you not been on a ship sponsored excursion?

If you meant what I assume you meant, often one will get better (wider coverage) and cheaper insurance directly from third party providers, so purchasing the insurance via the cruise line is definitely not necessary - and in many cases even discouraged (if there are also other components in the vacation besides the cruise; like flights, other transportation, hotels, etc) as the insurance from the cruise line only covers the things they have sold.

So when one has a proper travel insurance (many do), it really does not matter if the excursion is ship sponsored or not, the whole trip is covered.

I was on this cruise ,it was the worst cruise I have ever been on!The adults were as bad a the children.There was another thread that was taken down by CC,I guess they didn't like the true opinions of the majority of the other travelers..I for one can not forgive NCL and will never travel with them again unless they ban this obnoxious group of low lives..
Have you written to NCL and told them about how bad the cruise was and how disruptive these people were to your cruise? If no one tells NCL corporate, how does anyone expect something to be done?

Also wondering was anyone from this group on the roll call (member of Cruise Critic)? It would be interesting if there was someone and they are reading the reactions of the other cruisers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thinking this whole thing over.....

A few years ago....I don't remember which cruise line or which ship...for some reason, the ship had to miss a port or be re-routed. The passengers banded together in the atrium, demanding "something".

I think that if I were ever on a cruise where there was an obnoxious group of any sort....I would try to convince the passengers to band together...or attend a "meet the captain" function....or some sort of gathering and demand they be put off.

Hi, thanks for the detailed review, it was a nice read. :)

I have to ask one question though as to me it seems that you are either over-generalizing or mixing things a bit, so: Why would an insurance be moot had you not been on a ship sponsored excursion?

If you meant what I assume you meant, often one will get better (wider coverage) and cheaper insurance directly from third party providers, so purchasing the insurance via the cruise line is definitely not necessary - and in many cases even discouraged (if there are also other components in the vacation besides the cruise; like flights, other transportation, hotels, etc) as the insurance from the cruise line only covers the things they have sold.

So when one has a proper travel insurance (many do), it really does not matter if the excursion is ship sponsored or not, the whole trip is covered.

I'm sure you're probably right about "proper travel insurance" -- I have never spent enough money or traveled exotically enough to need to do much research. I am speaking specifically to the medical coverage that we received- or God forbid could have had to receive.

When I worked on ships my land based insurance would not cover me on board or in foreign ports -- I had to have separate coverage as a crew member -- coverage that required an intense physical in order to be approved and allowed to sign on.

My understanding as a passenger is that, outside travel insurance or no, without the protection of being on an NCL sponsored tour all medical costs would have been out of pocket -- charged to our shipboard account -- and left to us to fight the insurance company for. And, again, in my experience at sea, there are waaaay too many loopholes in that game.

Edited by formerjar

I'm sure you're probably right about "proper travel insurance" -- I have never spent enough money or traveled exotically enough to need to do much research. I am speaking specifically to the medical coverage that we received- or God forbid could have had to receive.

When I worked on ships my land based insurance would not cover me on board or in foreign ports -- I had to have separate coverage as a crew member -- coverage that required an intense physical in order to be approved and allowed to sign on.

My understanding as a passenger is that, outside travel insurance or no, without the protection of being on an NCL sponsored tour all medical costs would have been out of pocket -- charged to our shipboard account -- and left to us to fight the insurance company for. And, again, in my experience at sea, there are waaaay too many loopholes in that game.

I always get travel medical insurance that includes "airlift". DH is 82 and I'm 66. The cost for both of us is under $100 for a 7 day cruise.

I always get travel medical insurance that includes "airlift". DH is 82 and I'm 66. The cost for both of us is under $100 for a 7 day cruise.

Wow...that is a very reasonable rate!!! Which company? DH and I always get insurance (w/evac) ..and ours is more than twice that amount (and I do comparison shop) !

Wow...that is a very reasonable rate!!! Which company? DH and I always get insurance (w/evac) ..and ours is more than twice that amount (and I do comparison shop) !

Insuremytrip.......dot....com

It doesn't include "cancellation"

They check various companies and option.

DH got ill once in FL (post cruise)....and we were reimbursed for every penny we spent....hotel, food, taxi to airport and from airport to home, medicine, otc medicine.....because we had to stay an extra week.

Insuremytrip.......dot....com

It doesn't include "cancellation"

They check various companies and option.

DH got ill once in FL (post cruise)....and we were reimbursed for every penny we spent....hotel, food, taxi to airport and from airport to home, medicine, otc medicine.....because we had to stay an extra week.

thanks...that is also where I shop for our trip insurance...guess I choose wrong company ;) from the list....:(