What cabins to avoid on HAL for noise, smell, etc.

After a number of HAL cruises we have become very picky about our cabin location, so generally will not do a guarantee.  First, often it only cost a bit more to pick your cabin (but yest sometimes the difference is substantial - tougher choice then).  Second, with HAL aggressively pushing paid upsells, the chances of a good free upgrade are not as good as they used to be.

3 hours ago, metairiegal said:

Did a Google search and found this older thread. 

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, I'm wondering if noise from the screening room be heard in cabins above (specifically 4061)? 

It's usually better to just start a new thread, when the old is so much older. But it's a hard call bc people will tell you you should have searched, if there are lots of threads about a subject! Hopefully someone will scroll to the end and see your question.

I wasn't able to find information (positive or negative) on noise over the screening room. I personally worry more about what is over me than under, under the belief that noise/vibration carries more through the floor than the ceiling of the noisy space. 

Good luck in your search!

• Like 1

My cardinal rule is cabins or the carpeted area of the lido deck above. Usually book from mid-ship to aft and avoid connecting cabins. Have rarely heard my neighbors unless we are both on the verandas. 

Edited by jimmy2x

• 3 months later...

Always, unless you already know exactly where you want to be from prior experience, check out handy tool on cruise deck plans dot com which allows you to see what is above and below the cabin you are considering. Never be anywhere near showroom...

2 hours ago, Bookited said:

its not hard to just answer the question

She did.
She answered it in another thread where the same poster asked the same question. And she was kind enough to link back to it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2016 at 9:11 AM, boards said:

We had cabin 5100 on the Noordam which is right at the outside elevator and we enjoyed it very much. We never noticed or paid attention to when the elevator went by or had stopped. We did not feel spied on or did we spy on them. We also treated it like our private elevator. Whenever we needed it, it was there quick.

I have had people warn me not to get a cabin near the elevator due to the noise but we never had a problem.  Plus my wife loved the access. Less walking.

We're just off the NS and a traveler shared a comment I hadn't thought about. Two independent cruisers mentioned their cabin location as being under the Music Walk. One was under Rolling Stone and said the deep reverberating of the bass and the pounding of the drums kept them awake until long after closing - and the other couple was under BB King and said the pounding of the dancing did the same. Both venues, alternatingly now go until after midnight. (I'm merely repeating their conversations for your future booking considerations).

We wereforward on deck 4 on Koningsdam ...horrid cabin in spite of big balcony .

noise was tremendous ...wind was strong poles outside rattled and banged all night ..no sleep 

wind was so strong balcony was useless ...very very rough ride 

avoid forward cabins ...waves crash on hull and can get very scary ..very very loud 

We were on the Kdam recently in cabin 5015 and could hear nose from theater in afternoon when they would rehearse, as well as the 2 shows at night. It was the bass that really came through. Very loud at times