Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I am currently on board anthem. Have an ocean view balcony and balcony door was shaking so bad I almost thought it was going to fly off. Been on 12 cruises and that by far was the worst sea conditions I have been though

Very scary, but I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise:)

I figured it was because it doesn't have "Carnival" in front of it. If it did, they would have been trashed in the media the minute it started.

Either way, I am sorry for what everyone has been through that is on the ship. We cruise in 27 days and I have to admit this is the first time a cruise story has made me nervous about cruising.

I did too. I was surprised that someone onboard hadn't contacted a news station yet. Or better yet, our favorite ambulance chasing "cruise lawyer".:rolleyes:

Isn't it possible that the Captain both did a great job once they were in it and also made a mistake getting them into it in the first place?

We don't have all the details yet but the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

That is my guess, but it is jut that - a guess. once we were in trouble, the captain did a great job. The crew has been great too, and I'm sure most of them got little or no sleep. Captain made announcements as frequently as he could, given that he was trying to keep over 6000 passengers safe.

We are returning to Bayonne now

It was just reported on News 6 Orlando that Port Canaveral has stated that the Anthem of the Seas will not be arriving today. It will spend the day at sea and is scheduled to arrive at 7am tomorrow.

Just saw the same newscast.

Thanks to all on board for sharing your experiences.

We are going back to New York

Wow what a shame... sorry for you all aboard. The important thing is everyone is seemingly safe and healthy at this point. There will be other cruises but doesn't discount the immediate heartbreak of a trip cut short.

Just saw the same newscast.

Thanks to all on board for sharing your experiences.

We are not going to Canaveral. We are being returned to Bayonne because of severe storm brewing in Jacksonville. We will be back in NJ 6 am wednesday.

My husband's undergraduate degree is in meteorology, and he works for a company that does corporate aviation and marine (mostly off-shore drilling) forecasting. He's an avid storm watcher, and he was shocked when I told him about the wind and wave conditions the Anthem was hit with. It was well known that this storm was out there, but the NWS forecast was for MUCH less severe conditions.

This is exactly what I have been saying. Meteorology it's a matter of probabilities, not facts. The professionals make their forecasts based on the highest probabilities, but there still margin for the less probable, and that's what could happened to the Anthem of the Seas crew and Royal Caribbean meteorologists.

Update happening now:

Countered some rumors. Notably that ship was not seaworthy...hooey.

Going back to Bayonne due to another developing storm that looks like it could be the same as last night.

You are going back to Bayonne, or is that the "rumor" ?

We are not going to Canaveral. We are being returned to Bayonne because of severe storm brewing in Jacksonville. We will be back in NJ 6 am wednesday.

Sorry to hear. What a bust of a vacation. I hope you get to make up for it in the near future. At least they are being proactive. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by tbill

Despite the Captain has the last word on everything related to his ship, he takes the decision based on the information available at the time. If before entering the storm the conditions appeared reasonable for a normal operation, it's quite difficult to predict the evolution of a storm especially during winter months were this kind of phenomena is uncommon in this area, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go through the storm path during summer, because it's highly likely it will quickly turn into a hurricane-like storm.

The bridge and the meteorologists team (on board and land) analyze the satellite images, and radar returns to suggest proper actions. If the meteorologists and images couldn't give enough information to the Captain on the probabilities of the severe conditions, there's little justification for the captain to deviate the cruise.

Just look at the satellite images, the red zone had the size of South Carolina, the only options were to hold position or turn back northbound, but it wasn't that dangerous by the time of entering that "ugly weather". They were trapped, simple as that, even an aircraft carrier captain with decades at sea can face the same situation.

Actually, totally off topic and apropos of nothing (hey, better than some posters here who may have outright fabricated being on the ship), the captain of an aircraft carrier, at least in the USN, wouldn't have decades at sea (at least in a command capacity). Naval regulations have it that the commanding officer of a CVN has to have been a pilot, so typically a CVN will only be his/her second command. They'll typically command a tanker or some other deep draft vessel to learn the ropes, then become the executive officer of a CVN, then commanding officer.

Back on topic, so disappointed to hear you guys who are onboard are headed back to Cape Liberty but the the safety of the ship and the passengers aboard are the final call. Stay safe out there!