Breeze Vs. Dream, Which should we try?

Duke Mazer

We are thinking of booking Either the Breeze or Dream. So one will be out of NOLA and the other will be out of Galvaston.

What are the differences between the ships? I'd like to avoid Galvaston if I can but from some of the video and review Breeze looks better newer. Someone posted a review said the Dream sound like it was going to fall apart in rough seas, after this weeks Anthem, my DW is weary.

Is Breeze worth the trip to Galvaston?

We have a young one that will be 5 by the trip any ship better for a 5 year old?

I see your from Canada also. We are planning our first cruise and strongly leaning to the Breeze. I seems to offer more for the kids to do. Why are you trying to avoid Galveston? Are you driving? We are looking at a 24 hour drive if we go to Galveston

We are thinking of booking Either the Breeze or Dream. So one will be out of NOLA and the other will be out of Galvaston.

What are the differences between the ships? I'd like to avoid Galvaston if I can but from some of the video and review Breeze looks better newer. Someone posted a review said the Dream sound like it was going to fall apart in rough seas, after this weeks Anthem, my DW is weary.

Is Breeze worth the trip to Galvaston?

We have a young one that will be 5 by the trip any ship better for a 5 year old?

Basically they are the same but you are right, the decor of the Breeze is nicer. I prefer the Breeze for sure. I didn't have a balcony on the Dream but what I didn't like about the Breeze balcony was that it was (in my case) above a hot tub so you don't just have water below but people talking. Everything else was great. ;);)

Just heard the port is not that good, but they are getting a new terminal. If you are flying in it's a pain to get to. Also heard there are FOG issues.

The new terminal in Galveston is for the Liberty of the Seas. Carnival's terminal is good though. Most of the people complaining about Galveston were on RCCL. It seems that Carnival is the first ship cleared the morning the ship gets back.

The fog issue is mostly an issue during the colder months. January through March seem to have the most problems. And yet that is still small, but if it is you - it is a big problem. I have sailed from Galveston in March and April and have had no problems. I will be sailing from there again next month. And it's not like I have not sailed from other ports. I have. Including New Orleans, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, San Juan and Vancouver. My only complaint about sailing from Galveston is they go mostly to the Western Caribbean with a few sailings to the Bahamas.

We cruised the Dream 2 weeks ago and I can say she is FAR from falling apart, now she will rock and roll in rough seas as will any other ship but she is a beauty plus I understand she is getting the 2.0 upgrades later this spring, or there abouts, she will be in better shape then the Breeze after that....;)

If it were me the two things I would make before the final decision would be the ports and lastly the debarkation port, never been to Galveston BUT I can say NOLA is one HELL of a place to stay afterwards! Wow, the food, drink, entertainment were top notch and the friendly people of New Orleans, so for me in this conversation the Dream would be my choice.......

Breeze has the following that the Dream lacks:

Dining: Guy's Burgers, Cucina del Capitano, Sushi bar, Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ

Entertainment: Hasbro Games Night, Ropes course, and Thrill Theater.

I understand she is getting the 2.0 upgrades later this spring

I believe this is old information. https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488 shows Dream refurb in Jan 2017, and http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/789-carnival-fun-ship-refurbishment-schedule says that it will not get the full 2.0 upgrade due to space limitations.

Breeze has the following that the Dream lacks:

Dining: Guy's Burgers, Cucina del Capitano, Sushi bar, Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ

Entertainment: Hasbro Games Night, Ropes course, and Thrill Theater.

I believe this is old information. https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488 shows Dream refurb in Jan 2017, and http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/789-carnival-fun-ship-refurbishment-schedule says that it will not get the full 2.0 upgrade due to space limitations.

Don't forget Red Frog Pub. That's our favorite hangout every night. Love the live music and the intimate atmosphere.

I was on the Breeze last month and have to say while the ship is amazing, there were so little activities. Built up cruising to my daughter and there were things to do morning to night and she was bummed. She's 23 so an adult, but we still had fun. I like the food options on the Breeze more too. But both ships are worth it. Personally would sail out of NOLA just to spend time there.

We've been on both and I would say they both have pros and cons! Our kids would say the Breeze for sure, they loved it! That said the entertainment on the Dream was far superior, we really enjoyed the live shows on the Dream. Another vote for NOLA, it was a fabulous City to spend a couple of days in post-cruise. I'd say you can't go wrong with either.

I have sailed both ships. The Dream is by far my favorite ship of all that I've been on. The Breeze is probably about 5th on the list. Breeze wasn't a bad ship; it just seemed to be lacking in a few areas. I feel that Breeze's entertainment (the nighttime shows in the theater) was quite sad, while Dream had by far the best of all Carnival ships. Plus, Dream has Blackjack Band in their oceans plaza, which is an outstanding band! Breeze's decor is very toned down, which many people do prefer, but I prefer to have a lively decor, since I'm surrounded by enough boring decor everywhere else. I really like Dream's decor, my favorite of all ships. Breeze has that stupid thing where you have to leave a card (or paper) in the slot in order to have the lights on in your stateroom; Dream doesn't have that. That's a very annoying thing when everyone in your room isn't doing EVERYTHING together at all times. Breeze has very slippery floors in the lido deck buffet area; Dream doesn't. Breeze's design contributes to bottlenecks more than the Dream. Breeze has more passengers (slightly) and less public space (slightly). Dream has 2 extra hot tubs. Dream has more food & more variety being served late in the evening (after 8:00pm) up on lido deck than the Breeze. In my experience (3 trips on the Dream), the Dream seemed to handle the waters very well, as good as or maybe even better than Breeze.

Of what the Breeze has, Dream doesn't have the Red Frog Pub (no big deal to me), Hasbro games (which are a severe downgrade in my opinion), the 3D theater (doesn't need it--so many other things to do), the extra pay Italian restaurant for dinner (but still has the free pasta bar for lunch), Guys burgers (I don't like them), Blue Iguana cantina (that I do like), or the ropes course (the only real strike against the Dream for me).

All those little things about the Breeze started adding up, but the poor entertainment was a huge thing for me, so that knocked the Breeze down my list of favorite ships a few spots. Dream's little things didn't bother me, and the ropes course wasn't enough to knock it off my top spot. I did sail the Dream 1st, so that might have effected some of my opinions. But after sailing the Breeze, I went back to the Dream (3rd time) for my next cruise, and Dream remained my favorite. There's just something that feels so perfect about that ship to me.

Edited by k2excursion

I have not been on the Dream but have been on the Magic out of Galveston. All three ships for the most part are the same so either choice would be a good one. that said we have a cruise booked on the breeze but if for some reason the dream was on a closer home port We would have no issue sailing on that ship either. Breeze is Newer I think so thats a consideration.

Galveston port is fine and I have been on 14 cruises out of there and never had a fog issue. I will state that I have always driven there, I believe transportation from the airports in Houston can be tricky as you mentioned. I haven't been on Breeze yet, but I do believe currently it has more to offer than Dream.

Just heard the port is not that good, but they are getting a new terminal. If you are flying in it's a pain to get to. Also heard there are FOG issues.