Tips for managing in a small cabin?

ChristinaN

Shall I assume taking the boy's key cards so they can't get in the cabin is out of the question?;)

2) the boys should all go use (or at least your husband and maybe 1 or 2 of the boys at least) the gym locker rooms for showers and getting ready (all free). That way you will have plenty of room and be able to get ready for dinners and just dressing in general without much trouble.

Why is it always the guys that are suggested to go to the gym? In this case, there are 4 guys and only 1 gal. It would make more sense for her to go to the gym rather than force the Dad to try and watch all three boys in the gym while showering himself. Sounds like herding cats to me. Meanwhile, the mother would be all alone in the cabin. Mom has to take one for the team here. Sorry Mom.

We make sure to tidy the room before we go out in the morning and again before leaving for dinner. That way there's not enough mess to make it tedious but sure is nice to return to a room that's not in chaos. :D

When you leave the cabin in the morning and when you leave for dinner are the two times the steward will tidy up. No need to do it then. (Yes, pick up your clothes and personal items so he/she doesn't have the deal with them, but leave the rest to him/her)

Other times of day when you're leaving I'd say tidy up a bit, but the two times you suggest are the two times I wouldn't do it.

Gym/spa showers are great! There are multiple shower stalls so several can shower at one time...and lots of towels there too.

I'm sure it will be fine with a good attitude and tiring those kids out during the day with lots of fun activities!

Like you, we also use bags to pack the clothes in and put them on the shelves in the closet. Each evening we all get out the next day's outfit so in the morning we aren't trying to find everything. I also pack our bag for the next day - so if we are going on an excursion we have everything together the night before. Less chance of forgetting something and we don't make a mess in the morning.

We also had a spot we would meet up at. So in the morning if my husband and son got ready first - then we had a place we would meet them at after we got ready. That way we weren't all stuck in the cabin as some were getting ready.

Have a great vacation!!!!

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

you shouldn't have any problem, me, my wife and three sons still share a room and their 16, 18, and 26. so 5 adult size people. the main thing is keeping the room picked up. i fabricated a door hanging organizer to fit on a hanger so that we could hang them in the closet. plenty of room in there. :)

Clothes pins/clips to hang up swimsuits /stuff in the shower... I also bring a pop up hamper and pack all dirty stuff in one suitcase at the end or you can use it as a toy box/place for them to keep play stuff (snorkel equip, games, cards etc...) I also have 2 collapse able small bins (6" x 6") from ikea to separate bathroom stuff.

When you leave the cabin in the morning and when you leave for dinner are the two times the steward will tidy up. No need to do it then. (Yes, pick up your clothes and personal items so he/she doesn't have the deal with them, but leave the rest to him/her)

Other times of day when you're leaving I'd say tidy up a bit, but the two times you suggest are the two times I wouldn't do it.

When I think of the term I used- "tidy"- what I had in mind was that we pick up dirty clothes and put our toiletries back where they belong so that when the steward comes in he can get to everything he needs to and we have a cabin that's a joy to come back to.:D

Where are people getting the idea that over the door shoe organizers are not allowed?!?! I always take one and have never had an issue.

There is a recent thread about this. I tried to copy and paste but can't figure out how to get the thread over here, so just put in search: "Anyone with experience with new shoe holder policy" and it should come up. In a nutshell, I guess they don't want the shoe organizers on the CABIN DOOR as some pax have done in the past. Maybe fire hazard???

If using gym/spa showers, get extra wash cloths from the steward as they are not supplied but you'll have towels galore. Cabin shower becomes storage and drying place for wet things...If you plan on using the gym/spa showers book a room near the bow and higher up if possible...

These are all great suggestions. One I would add is bring magnetic hooks for the walls of the cabin. Great for hanging swimsuits, ball caps, string bags, etc.

Have a wonderful time with your family and enjoy your cruise.

Not sure how many of the ships have magnetic walls. When we were on the Sunshine last week, we found the walls to not be magnetic. I was lucky enough to have brought some 3M command strip hooks and used those for hanging belongings on the walls. I bought small organizers from Organized Living and used one for makeup and the other for jewelry...they worked great. You could also hang beach bags or whatever you need to keep yourself organized. We also had an over the door shoe hanger that no one said we couldn't use! I think we might have padded up the area underneath the metal hangers so that they didn't scratch the doors.

231.jpg

Not sure how many of the ships have magnetic walls. When we were on the Sunshine last week, we found the walls to not be magnetic. I was lucky enough to have brought some 3M command strip hooks and used those for hanging belongings on the walls. I bought small organizers from Organized Living and used one for makeup and the other for jewelry...they worked great. You could also hang beach bags or whatever you need to keep yourself organized. We also had an over the door shoe hanger that no one said we couldn't use! I think we might have padded up the area underneath the metal hangers so that they didn't scratch the doors.

I found hanging toiletry organizers at Walmart in the cosmetics department. I refill them after every cruise or other trip then I'm ready to go for next time. Saves tons of time packing.

The smaller bags like the ones in the picture normally do ok hanging from a towel bar in the cabin or motel bathroom.

Why is it always the guys that are suggested to go to the gym? In this case, there are 4 guys and only 1 gal. It would make more sense for her to go to the gym rather than force the Dad to try and watch all three boys in the gym while showering himself. Sounds like herding cats to me

1) it is WAY harder for a woman to pack up all her makeup, hair and clothes items to move to another area to dress

2) I also suggested that maybe Dad could take at least 1 or 2 if all 3 were not feasible

3) OMG...God forbid a man be left alone "watching", showering and dressing 3 kids, lol...yeah welcome to the world of Mom's...sorry lame excuse on that one....

4) Men and boys can jump in and out of showers quickly and shower together, Mom not likely to jump in with the boys at this point....

And the BIGGEST reason Dad should take the kids for shower time is that "can a Mom get a break!!!!"....this is her vacation too and chances are she has planned and packed and planned some more to get this thing together...she deserves the 15 minute break....:rolleyes:

Edited by Drazil65

And the BIGGEST reason Dad should take the kids for shower time is that "can a Mom get a break!!!!"....this is her vacation too and chances are she has planned and packed and planned some more to get this thing together...she deserves the 15 minute break....:rolleyes:

And she can get one, while she's all alone showering at the spa while Dad is dealing with the kids in the cabin.

It just doesn't make sense to lug three people's stuff to the spa instead of one.