American Table, loved the Food, HATED the Concept

ready2cruzagain

I'm late to the conversation and it's been awhile since I have taken a Carnival Cruise. I'm booked on one now though and wonder how ones finds out if the ship they are booked on is doing this concept is the MDR.

I, for one, am not interested in a "casual" experience in the MDR. It seems that is the role of the Buffet. Especially for those who book set time dining expectations are for a certain traditional level of décor and service.

Thanks

I am going out on a limb here and say that waiters dancing on your table is NOT fine dining. I'm thinking lack of tablecloths assists in the footing.

Of course it is about saving money, fewer table cloths and towels to wash. It is also better on the environment.

Those of you who keep saying upscale restaurants all have table cloths need to get out more.

I agree with you, I don't see many places with table cloths. And saying hello from the other side! As long as they could give out a napkin for the glasses as it leaves the sweat from drinks.

We returned from a sailing on the Breeze the week of Feb 7. This was my first cruise with Carnival so have nothing to compare it to. We were a family of 3 and we never sat with anyone else. We did have Any Time Dining. Always asked for the same waiter. When we arrived to our table our silverware, two forks and a knife were on the napkins. There were tablecloths on the table for both elegant nights. When my wife or daughter ordered soup the waiter would bring the spoon over and place on in front of us before the soup arrived. I don't remember where they put it now. Steak knives were brought prior to courses that required them as was spoons or forks for dessert if the previous ones were taken when the table was cleared prior to the dessert arriving. I liked the rubber holders that the water carafes sat in but the wine bottles were not in a similar holder so I could see these sliding if there was rough seas. Bread did not come with any tongs, or thongs, as a previous poster stated.

Our next cruise is almost a year away, so I'll be interested to hear more opinions about this new "American Table" style of dining.

Some of the things I'm hearing I think I will be happy with, like the water carafe on the table and bread basket too. We will be cruising with family and will have our own table so I have no issue with sharing a bread basket with them. If we were with strangers at a larger table I would prefer to have tongs be served with the basket, rather than everyone using their fingers.

I would miss the tablecloth. No, we don't use one at home all the time but if we have family/friends over for dinner I do use one then. I don't like having my silverware directly on the table in a restaurant, so would rather not have it that way on the cruise either. Some say it is placed on the napkin so that would be fine, or even rolled into the napkin is fine too.

Does anyone know if the Dream now has the "American Table" or does it still have the regular menu, tablecloths, etc.?

So I have a question about the part I highlighted in red. If you don't like your silverware placed on the table but wouldn't mind if it is on a napkin, what would you use to wipe your hands and mouth with since you are using your napkin as a holder for the silverware?

I know next time I will ask for an extra napkin.

I am going out on a limb here and say that waiters dancing on your table is NOT fine dining. I'm thinking lack of tablecloths assists in the footing.

Hey Golfb

Watch the video from minute 1:33 to 1:40. Pay attention to the smiles.

Then get back to us please.

https://vimeo.com/80440428

Edited by fuddrules

So I have a question about the part I highlighted in red. If you don't like your silverware placed on the table but wouldn't mind if it is on a napkin, what would you use to wipe your hands and mouth with since you are using your napkin as a holder for the silverware?

I know next time I will ask for an extra napkin.

Yes, an extra napkin then would be helpful, wouldn't it. :) I hadn't thought that far ahead. I do like a napkin in my lap for wiping my hands/mouth, and one on the table for my silverware. Many restaurants here either have extra napkins already on the table, or the server brings a few extras before or when bringing the food.

I found the overhead music to be quite awful,

as did everyone else at the table with us!

A waiter even came over to say he had overheard me

and was in total agreement. We all laughed out loud! :D

It was that weird artsy-fartsy Jazz, the kind with no melody.

There is so much other very-American music

that could/should be played

-even traditional Dixieland Jazz numbers we all know.

Our most recent cruise was the first time we had the opportunity to try the American table/feast menus, and I had been eagerly looking forward to it. However, after trying it, I would say that I'm not a fan of the American table menu. The food isn't as good as it used to be, and I found myself ordering off of the every day menu and getting a lot of steaks, something that I almost never did with the other menu. I hope they revisit the menus again soon so that they can improve on the offerings.

As I learned in my 8th grade Home Ec class. A table is NOT properly set when the flatware is sitting on top the napkin. A person should not have to handle the forks to remove the napkin to place it on their lap. The napkin should be placed to the left of the forks.

Now as to those who see no big deal with the flatware on the table. The tables are wiped down with a rag that has already wiped other tables where people might have sneezed, or didn't wash their hands properly and those germs are now being spread on other table tops. EW! A cloth draped table is actually more hygenic, they are washed and sterilized and changed between seatings.

A good compromise between cloth and no cloth would be to have placemats that can be laundered quickly or go to a better feeling disposable paper type that way the flatware can be placed on the placemat.

I wish they'd go back to French service, it made for a most special dining experience. Did they go to this casualized service style because people don't know what fork goes with which course?

I was not a fan of the public bread basket, the one fork, the dull steak knife, no tablecloth, the butter that was pressed into the white square dish, the water carafe is now in a black container but when used it did drip water all over the table. The bread plate is amusing but I guess it was ok.

Still not a fan of the actual menus. I tried to be positive about them but they are scarce.

image.jpeg

Face it, in a world that rates Tuesdays/Applebee's as fine dining, Carnival and the rest are adapting to their clientele base. Book Cunard Queens Grill if you want some traditional cruise dining. Of course anything beats my first cruise in 1962 on the USNS Gen Maurice Rose!

I'm not aware of anyone, ever, rating Applebee's is fine dining. Come on.

Edited by Pesh

I was not a fan of the public bread basket, the one fork, the dull steak knife, no tablecloth, the butter that was pressed into the white square dish, the water carafe is now in a black container but when used it did drip water all over the table. The bread plate is amusing but I guess it was ok.

Still not a fan of the actual menus. I tried to be positive about them but they are scarce.

I assumed that they went to this model to save on costs and have wait teams work more tables. Put the bread basket on the table so that you don't need someone going from table to table with it. Same with the water. I've never had an issue with getting my water refilled on any cruise. To me, the service with American Table wasn't as good as it used to be.

And yes, the menus just weren't exciting or good.

There is no room for the plated meals.

This is insane.

Get rid of the bread basket and the drippy water.

Make the waiters do it.

Having eaten meals at at table like the one pictured, I can assure you there is plenty of space for your food.

They remove those bread plates and replace them with the next plate with food.

the system works quite well and is not always a total disaster.

The meals we have were quite good and in some cases better than the old menus, in some ways not so much.

not having bitter and blanc on each cruise is the biggest disaster. We had it on our 8 day but fear it wont be available on our 7 day. :mad:

Do you have to share a table with other people? We are going on the Magic in June and there will be 5 of us. We've been ask before to share a table with people or have a private table for just me and my husband. We've always chosen to have a private table. I don't really care about the table cloth, but wouldn't want to share bread and stuff with strangers.

Loubetti, That top pic is gorgeous! What restaurant did you take that pic?

Thanks!

The top photo is Le Cirque in New York. Bottom is the Connaught restaurant at the Connaught hotel in London.

I took neither photo, as I rarely take my camera when dining out. It was easier just to Google them!

One more.

resto_l_espadon_le_ritz.jpg

L'Espadon restaurant at the Paris Ritz hotel. Of course, and to be fair, dinner for two here can easily run over $350. :cool:

The top photo is Le Cirque in New York. Bottom is the Connaught restaurant at the Connaught hotel in London.

I took neither photo, as I rarely take my camera when dining out. It was easier just to Google them!

One more.

resto_l_espadon_le_ritz.jpg

L'Espadon restaurant at the Paris Ritz hotel. Of course, and to be fair, dinner for two here can easily run over $350. :cool:

To be fair you should also post the numerous 5 star world famous restaurants that do not use table cloths.

And, to be fair, tablecloths do not always reflect the status of any restaurant. I've been to many restaurant that is all about "presentation" where the food really sucks.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Do you have to share a table with other people? We are going on the Magic in June and there will be 5 of us. We've been ask before to share a table with people or have a private table for just me and my husband. We've always chosen to have a private table. I don't really care about the table cloth, but wouldn't want to share bread and stuff with strangers.

If you are on a set time Early or Late dining it is always possible.

Last time we were 5 we had our own table, but it's no guarantee.

When we were 4 we shared an 8 top with 4 others. But last year on breeze we were 4 had it was private

If you do ATD and are willing to do so they can sit you with others, but otherwise its a private table. We are reluctantly trying ATD this cruise because we waited to long to book and did not want late.

two cruises ago there were five of us and they placed us at a table for eight with three strangers. It was a great experience. They were really nice people whom we would never had gotten to know.