Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

I do tidy up our clothes and other items. I want the service for things I can't do, like changing the towels, emptying the trash, fixing the upper beds, and cleaning up sand. I don't want 2x service to push my steward to breaking point. I want Carnival to give each steward a reasonable number of cabins, so I can have 2x service w/o overworking my steward. I think that's reasonable for the $19.50/day my family prepays in tips for "stateroom services" (along with the extra cash we give).

Ditto.

It is amazing the things people make up to self justify.....

I have no need to justify anything. As I mentioned, I never remove my auto tips. In fact, we do tip more for great service. All I stated was that I had a problem with tipping for behind the scenes people.

What they make is not my problem. Tipping is for service rendered and those behind scenes are not rendering service. That is all I was saying.

I do not understand why some of those who do not remove tips automatically assume that those of us who do are immediately terrible people. Picturing us like snickering like Muttley the dog as we take their tip money and light our cigars with it. Always posing the question of the behind the scenes folks toiling away with nothing in return. "What about them" you say every time they deserve your tip too. I am sure this has been brought up but do any of you "holy than thou" tip keeper onners when you go to a restraint do you go in back and tip the dishwasher? When you order a drink do you go to the bar and tip the bartender? Do you tip the manager as you leave? Don't bother answering, you know you do not. So here is my 2 cents. SHUT THE EFF UP! Let me and everyone else cruise how we want to cruise and you cruise the way we want to cruise. Oh and please do not ever, EVER assume that we do not tip. I am absolutely positive that we give our room steward, our waiter, and his assistant more than you at the end of the cruise with your glorious automatic tips. So go float around the Lido deck nose up, looking down on all of us losers because you are the only ones who care.

Oh this a thread about room cleaning why can’t we stick to it geez....

Mic dropped

wcr

I do not understand why some of those who do not remove tips automatically assume that those of us who do are immediately terrible people. Picturing us like snickering like Muttley the dog as we take their tip money and light our cigars with it. Always posing the question of the behind the scenes folks toiling away with nothing in return. "What about them" you say every time they deserve your tip too. I am sure this has been brought up but do any of you "holy than thou" tip keeper onners when you go to a restraint do you go in back and tip the dishwasher? When you order a drink do you go to the bar and tip the bartender? Do you tip the manager as you leave? Don't bother answering, you know you do not. So here is my 2 cents. SHUT THE EFF UP! Let me and everyone else cruise how we want to cruise and you cruise the way we want to cruise. Oh and please do not ever, EVER assume that we do not tip. I am absolutely positive that we give our room steward, our waiter, and his assistant more than you at the end of the cruise with your glorious automatic tips. So go float around the Lido deck nose up, looking down on all of us losers because you are the only ones who care.

Oh this a thread about room cleaning why can’t we stick to it geez....

Mic dropped

wcr

Do I tip bussers, bartenders and the like? No. That is why they get tipped out by the server. The server does it for us. Much like the auto grats does it for us. Just proves that you have NEVER worked in the service industry. Continue skating around tipping those ensuring you have a great trip, and the rest of us will continue picking up your slack.

Interesting thread- heres my thoughts

3) Interesting that some believe their tips should grant them the 2x service even if it pushes their steward to breaking point. This is just as bad as removing/reducing tips IMO as your steward is working more for less.

PEACE OUT :cool:

People are entitled and dont care even it it means someone who obviously had less opportunity then them suffers. I see it on the JH's page all the time, the comments are abhorent. I dont understand whats so hard about treating people like human beings. Then they are the same ones complaining afterward that they "never saw their steward once the whole cruise." WTH

Laugh away then. There are people whom I'm sure they don't tip. Of the $12 per day $6.10 goes to dining services. $3.90 goes to room services and $2 goes to alternative services including kitchen, entertainment, guest services, and other hotel staff. So if you remove the grats I think it's safe to say you don't go out of your way to tip those behind the scenes people. Again I will say it, those whom remove their grats are cheap. And if you are to cheap to tip ALL of those whom help you have a great time, then cruising isn't for you.

EXACTLY! People who remove tips entirely are totally stiffing the behind the scenes people. Very cheap indeed! Grats are mentioned during initial booking so anyone who says they dont know about it are lying to themselves.

How do you know this? Do you work for Human Resources at Carnival?

For some reason people on CC appear to know first hand how much everyone on the ship makes based on faulty calculations of their auto gratuities, I cant understand this concept at all and I have family members employed on cruises and I dont claim to know down to the dollar. :rolleyes:

I do tidy up our clothes and other items. I want the service for things I can't do, like changing the towels, emptying the trash, fixing the upper beds, and cleaning up sand. I don't want 2x service to push my steward to breaking point. I want Carnival to give each steward a reasonable number of cabins, so I can have 2x service w/o overworking my steward. I think that's reasonable for the $19.50/day my family prepays in tips for "stateroom services" (along with the extra cash we give).

If we, as guests, want Carnival to give the stewards reasonable work, then we need to bring our complaints to Carnival, NOT the stewards which I see and hear so many do. The stewards barely have time to sleep much less relay all of the complaint they get daily. If I have a problem with a business on land, I talk to the manager or send the company an email or a letter! Thats the only way they will get it. I always get some type of response when doing this as well.

I have no need to justify anything. As I mentioned, I never remove my auto tips. In fact, we do tip more for great service. All I stated was that I had a problem with tipping for behind the scenes people.

What they make is not my problem. Tipping is for service rendered and those behind scenes are not rendering service. That is all I was saying.

Au Contraire mon frere... The people behind the scenes who get tips ARE CERTAINLY giving you service. What about the people who do the laundry? The folks who plate the food in the kitchen? There are many people who get the tips, probably about 30-50+ on each ship and they get cents out of the auto grats each. Please dont assume the behind the scenes people arent worthy of tips, alot of those people work HARD. Just on the Behind the Fun tour I could barely stand in the laundry area for a few minutes, it was so hot. The staff were in shorts and t-shirts dripping wet sweating to death down there folding hot towels and sheets. They deserve tips too! Not just who you see.

Do I tip bussers, bartenders and the like? No. That is why they get tipped out by the server. The server does it for us. Much like the auto grats does it for us. Just proves that you have NEVER worked in the service industry. Continue skating around tipping those ensuring you have a great trip, and the rest of us will continue picking up your slack.

*applause* Couldnt have said it better myself.

And for the record I always tip on top of the auto grats. The auto gratuities are recommended as a bare minimum. Which is why its added automatically. To ensure people are properly compensated. Same how a restaurant adds minimum tip to group service.

Edited by Savlamara

If we, the guests, truly pay the lion's share of what room attendants earn, why would Carnival be messing with a proven formula that generates income for the workers and keeps guests happy? :confused:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Here is the $64,000 question. (showing some age here)

If we, the guests, truly pay the lion's share of what room attendants earn, why would Carnival be messing with a proven formula that generates income for the workers and keeps guests happy? :confused:

By having fewer stewards do more rooms, Carnival can pay less employees. Which means more $ for their bottom line. Until guests start to complain to corporate (instead of to the stewards) they will otherwise assume their formula works and it will become the status quo on all of their ships.

Laugh away then. There are people whom I'm sure they don't tip. Of the $12 per day $6.10 goes to dining services. $3.90 goes to room services and $2 goes to alternative services including kitchen, entertainment, guest services, and other hotel staff. So if you remove the grats I think it's safe to say you don't go out of your way to tip those behind the scenes people. Again I will say it, those whom remove their grats are cheap. And if you are to cheap to tip ALL of those whom help you have a great time, then cruising isn't for you.

That is your opinion and I can accept it. You don't know anything about me, so to call me cheap is rude. But if name calling makes you fell better, OK.

We can agree to disagree on your last point, but we can move on.:)

How do you know this? Do you work for Human Resources at Carnival?

How does anyone know how any employee is paid?? Salary vs. an hourly wage. There might be a small few who actually know. I don't, and it does not matter to me. It is not for me to worry about. No, I have never worked in the hospitality industry becasue I chose not too. No one makes anyone work at any particular job, we all have choices, yes some more and better than others.

By having fewer stewards do more rooms, Carnival can pay less employees. Which means more $ for their bottom line. Until guests start to complain to corporate (instead of to the stewards) they will otherwise assume their formula works and it will become the status quo on all of their ships.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct.

I agree...if next cruise is on Carnival...and service needed is issue..especially Cabin service or ice and 2 times a day as in past, plus fairly quick room service...I will adapt best with what attendant can handle. My tips will stay and more to those who can do more for me and still sleep at night if changes are that bad......, and let my writing Carnival and switching line for good if that bad be my point..for what it is worth. I need to get on one of their more major ships for music..so saddened by loss of various music options..here starting to get a bit better...on some ships.

Edited by sjn911

The problem with cutbacks is this: cruiseline makes a cut and the majority of their customers say "oh well, I'm on a cruise, I don't care". Then the cruiseline makes another cut and gets the same response. Soon they're emboldened to make more cuts and the dominoes keep falling unless and until there's some pushback, at which point they say "oops, I think we've reached the limit of their tolerance", and they stop. I see an awful lot of cheering about cuts that's spun as "it's not a cut, it's a change". Their "death by a thousand pin pricks" model is getting old. Stop settling and start pushing back!!

The problem with cutbacks is this: cruiseline makes a cut and the majority of their customers say "oh well, I'm on a cruise, I don't care". Then the cruiseline makes another cut and gets the same response. Soon they're emboldened to make more cuts and the dominoes keep falling unless and until there's some pushback, at which point they say "oops, I think we've reached the limit of their tolerance", and they stop. I see an awful lot of cheering about cuts that's spun as "it's not a cut, it's a change". Their "death by a thousand pin pricks" model is getting old. Stop settling and start pushing back!!

The other problem with cutbacks is everyone says any change at all is a cutback, which makes the real one that much harder to figure out (and all cruise lines are doing them).

Thing is, are they really cutbacks, or just a sign of changing times? Tablecloths, are they cut backs, or just moving to a more modern 21st century dining style? Once a day stateroom cleaning, is it a cutback, or just a move to a more standard service like provided by almost all hotels? Ala carte pricing, is it a cutback or just a way to lower fare costs and allowing those that want high-end food/beverages to pay an upcharge versus making all pay for it?

I don't care about tablecloths. Then again, I don't have this nostalgia to want to cruise like it was the 1980s.

Edited by HamSammie

Thing is, are they really cutbacks, or just a sign of changing times? Tablecloths, are they cut backs, or just moving to a more modern 21st century dining style? Once a day stateroom cleaning, is it a cutback, or just a move to a more standard service like provided by almost all hotels? Ala carte pricing, is it a cutback or just a way to lower fare costs and allowing those that want high-end food/beverages to pay an upcharge versus making all pay for it?

I don't care about tablecloths. Then again, I don't have this nostalgia to want to cruise like it was the 1980s.

This poster answers you well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49410549&postcount=23

The other problem with cutbacks is everyone says any change at all is a cutback, which makes the real one that much harder to figure out (and all cruise lines are doing them).

I agree with this. I see the end of tablecloths as more of a change than a cutback. I prefer tablecloths, but I'm old fashioned. Many of the changes in entertainment are also arguably changes, not cutbacks. And I appreciate many of the changes, like new lunch venues and the sports decks and waterworks, which appeal to families and modern cruisers. OTOH, I don't think once a day service could be anything but a cutback. It's not just different, it's less. Carnival may think it's an area they can cut without upsetting too many guests, but it's still a cut.

It doesn't. All it tells me is people in 2016 want to cruise in 2016 and not 1986.

Actually most of the people cruising in 2016 could not afford to cruise in 1986 and most of the limited cruise lines of that time did not want today's cruisers. They were seeking a more sophisticated moneyed crowd but when you load up the seaways with mega floating condos one must go way down market to attract sufficient customers.

Re tipping...had a favorite wine bar where the whole of town ended up going in downtown Portland before and after the shows...all in the entertainment district...great wine and food in the bar. This head barman was like a brother to all a bit more/less to some all visitors loved him..perfect chatter wine historian etc....and head server also...even tho at bar, eventually became booze and wine buyer for whole operation and able to have a small wine store of his own and still keep his job dropping just one day. It is a nice casual no tablecloth lol greatly cleaned superb food and wine place. I will cry when I visit and he is no longer there...the place hops but he always has time...his working with the staff is fun and supportive and teaching and hysterical. He rollerblades to work across town and in his 50's. Wife also in serving business and happy 3 kid family. You can't help but tip him more than usual..you get way more than usual...and he always gives you something extra too..especially Birthdays or something..darn I have to get on a plane. One of nicest men in Portland and became a friend....always had safe home base for car and show evenings...THE BEST. I am totally looking forward to taking double antacid and enjoying Alchemy bar..LOL.

I am not a pay to bribe person or an over tip person but in a tipping culture...regardless of Carnival's changes...honoring service help, your help in some really personal and somewhat menial ways with smiles and kindness.. if they are good and not if bad and IF REASONABLE to what you know about the situation even though it is not our job; is best way to go IMHO, in or tipping culture. Also am just thinking the hope of experience and getting good tips for some of these folks...if things do get worse for them..you get one who tries and you yourself try too...to adjust to what is reasonable in changes..it is a win win. Help them help you..reasonably. Give them hope for a better future...really..it is all we are here for in the end. Just my humble opinion...after reading and thinking.

Edited by sjn911