How long must we wait for the Anthem to leave New JERSEY.

I know we are new to cruising as Anthem will be our first ever but I specifically booked Anthem from NJ because of the "wasted days" getting to Bermuda and the Caribbean and back. I am looking forward to having a couple days with no where to be on the way there and back.

I am so excited for you. We have to wait until October. :( I hope you come back and let us know how you made out.

I specifically booked the Anthem for our Feb cruise over the Breakaway because it was better suited for cold weather. You have a family indoor pool/hot tub and the indoor Seaplex. When you consider that in the winter you'r looking at around 2 to 3 sea days on a 7 night cruise where it can be bitter cold that is pretty significant.

When we were on the Quantum those multi-level pools in the Solarium were not heated and were chilly. But it is nice to have the 2 large area's on the cold days. Also, these ships have a lot of Plexiglas wind breakers on the top deck so if its a sunny day there are some nice spots to grab a lounger.

Have you checked out the Avoid RCI thread? Classic.

Couldn't stomach it....seemed even dumber than this one after a few posts...

JC

I couldn't post it there, way to easy. ;)

John, I saw the photo today of your dog on a thread. It is a cute one.

I couldn't post it there, way to easy. ;)

John, I saw the photo today of your dog on a thread. It is a cute one.

Bella, demon Princess. Georgia Girl.

Actually if you locate the last version of the Diamond thread, there are several good pics of her on the last page

Edited by John&LaLa

Yes, after taking several cruises on the Explorer we couldn't wait to go on the Quantum. So we went on the Inaugural cruise and now we want the Explorer back.

We want no parts of the anthem,we also don't want to fly.So for the first time in awhile we have no cruise booked.If the cruise bug get bad we will look for another cruise line within driving distance.Good bye Royal. We were Diamond. :p

Edited by caribbean sailor

We want no parts of the anthem,we also don't want to fly.So for the first time in awhile we have no cruise booked.If the cruise bug get bad we will look for another cruise line within driving distance.Good bye Royal. We were Diamond. :p

Ok, I finally think I get you... You loved the crew on the ship that was there before, and RCI put a much nicer ship in its place. Loving the crew is great, but they serve contracts and they move around, those that loved the NY market are probably trying to get back there, by boycotting the Anthem you are missing them....

Nothing is ever forever.... Give the future a shot, you might like it, the past is gone and will never be back.

That is the reality.

JC

We would have never gone to NY/NJ to sail if it had not been for all of this controversy over Anthem. Just had to see for ourselves and are booked for July 9. Can't wait to try out a new class of ship. We are also excited to sail on Empress once she is returned to service. Last cruise on Empress was 1994 (Nordic Empress). The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

When we were on the Quantum those multi-level pools in the Solarium were not heated and were chilly. But it is nice to have the 2 large area's on the cold days. Also, these ships have a lot of Plexiglas wind breakers on the top deck so if its a sunny day there are some nice spots to grab a lounger.

So here is something interesting. I had read that Royal does not heat it's pools, but maybe they changed that for Anthem, because my daughter and I actually swam in the outside pool the day we left port and it had to be around 30 degrees out! There was some steam coming off the pool, alas that was our only chance, by next evening the storm hit and all the water had been splashed out lol.

The way they designed the zero entry kiddie pool doesn't work very well on the ship. We had heavy seas and each time the ship pitched forward or rolled a wave of water just rolled right out the pool and cascaded down the steps and flooded out the area in front of Johnny Rockets. It even managed to work its way inside and soak the carpet. They had several guy's out there with squeegees pushing the water toward the drains. I don't understand why they kept the water in that pool as I think there were only a few kids on that cruise and nobody was in the open pool area at that time.

Also, at the same time those multi level pools in the solarium were dumping their water out as well. It was also coming down the steps.

She isn't that much bigger than Freedom and better suited for cold weather.

I also don't get the price issue. Early January on Oasis out of PC is just over 3 grand for a JS, 7 nights. same time frame on anthem is just over 5 grand for 12 nights. pretty much a wash in my view. Freedom 8 night is $4,400. Am i missing something :confused:

**We were on the Anthem in mid January. On our second night south we were in an east coast storm (not surprising because of the time of the year and because it's the east coast where we rarely hear about ocean storms that take place far out in the ocean) We were bouncing and rolling, enough that the barf bags were put out by the stairways. not a lot of fun and relaxation took place, and the first time my wife got sea sick after about 60 cruises. We were told taking the Bridge tour that one of the stabilizers was not working properly and as a result both had to be retracted, meaning they were useless. As we found out leaving St. Kitts we were delayed because an "engineer" was being flown in from Europe to travel back to Bayonne while trying to fix it the stabilizer IF it could be done electronically. End result it didn't get fixed and as we approached Florida the Captain told us that because of Super Storm Jonah getting ready to develop off northern Florida and head north we would change course, add 286 miles to the return trip and hug the coast so we wouldn't catch up to it because of the very high seas, swells, rain and winds. A lot of people had the El Fero incident in their minds as we got nearer to where it sank off the Bahamas. End result, we received another day at seas. But for many that were expecting to be back on the scheduled day of disembarkation it didn't happen. The same with people who flew in from all over the world not realizing that the ship would be a day late coming back. Expensive for Royal to take care of their passengers coming and going ? YES. If you compare an Oasis class ship with a Quantum class ship in the layout of each deck as shown in the brochure the Quantum class is considerably narrower and 2 decks lower than an Oasis class. If Royal keeps having to make financial considerations to their passengers on this class ship I'd say they'll find out soon enough that they're not making the money that they planned on taking in. They've had to give out plenty back. Maybe they'll reconsider and put back a Freedom or Voyager Class ship next year ?

**We were on the Anthem in mid January. On our second night south we were in an east coast storm (not surprising because of the time of the year and because it's the east coast where we rarely hear about ocean storms that take place far out in the ocean) We were bouncing and rolling, enough that the barf bags were put out by the stairways. not a lot of fun and relaxation took place, and the first time my wife got sea sick after about 60 cruises. We were told taking the Bridge tour that one of the stabilizers was not working properly and as a result both had to be retracted, meaning they were useless. As we found out leaving St. Kitts we were delayed because an "engineer" was being flown in from Europe to travel back to Bayonne while trying to fix it the stabilizer IF it could be done electronically. End result it didn't get fixed and as we approached Florida the Captain told us that because of Super Storm Jonah getting ready to develop off northern Florida and head north we would change course, add 286 miles to the return trip and hug the coast so we wouldn't catch up to it because of the very high seas, swells, rain and winds. A lot of people had the El Fero incident in their minds as we got nearer to where it sank off the Bahamas. End result, we received another day at seas. But for many that were expecting to be back on the scheduled day of disembarkation it didn't happen. The same with people who flew in from all over the world not realizing that the ship would be a day late coming back. Expensive for Royal to take care of their passengers coming and going ? YES. If you compare an Oasis class ship with a Quantum class ship in the layout of each deck as shown in the brochure the Quantum class is considerably narrower and 2 decks lower than an Oasis class. If Royal keeps having to make financial considerations to their passengers on this class ship I'd say they'll find out soon enough that they're not making the money that they planned on taking in. They've had to give out plenty back. Maybe they'll reconsider and put back a Freedom or Voyager Class ship next year ?

The ship has nothing to do with any of the problems this year. Why do posters keep saying it?

Ok, I finally think I get you... You loved the crew on the ship that was there before, and RCI put a much nicer ship in its place. Loving the crew is great, but they serve contracts and they move around, those that loved the NY market are probably trying to get back there, by boycotting the Anthem you are missing them....

Nothing is ever forever.... Give the future a shot, you might like it, the past is gone and will never be back.

That is the reality.

JC

A MUCH NICER SHIP IN IT'S PLACE. I RESPECT YOUR OPINION,BUT I MUST SAY I DISAGREE.IT IS NOT THE CREW THEY ALWAYS DO THEIR JOBS. EITHER I LIKE THE SHIP OR I DO NOT.I WANT NO PARTS OF THE QUANTUM CLASS OF SHIPS. Have a great next cruise.:)

A MUCH NICER SHIP IN IT'S PLACE. I RESPECT YOUR OPINION,BUT I MUST SAY I DISAGREE.IT IS NOT THE CREW THEY ALWAYS DO THEIR JOBS. EITHER I LIKE THE SHIP OR I DO NOT.I WANT NO PARTS OF THE QUANTUM CLASS OF SHIPS. Have a great next cruise.:)

Once upon a time you tried out the Explorer.

Did you climb the rock wall?

Did you play golf? Maybe, maybe not. Most ships have many things that people don't use. Quantum the same.

Why knock a ship that you have no experience or intention of going on?

Why berate those that do and love it?

Once upon a time you tried out the Explorer.

Did you climb the rock wall?

Did you play golf? Maybe, maybe not. Most ships have many things that people don't use. Quantum the same.

Why knock a ship that you have no experience or intention of going on?

Why berate those that do and love it?

ARE YOU FOR REAL THIS IS CRUISE CRITIC.Why do i knock a ship maybe because i want to. Let's see once upon a time you tried out the QUANTUM. Let me guess you rode the bumper cars.Who really cares.:p

So, you objectively think the Explorer is a better ship than the Anthem....

Wow... Just Wow.

JC

So, a Freedom class would be a better fit? Better seaworthy? Seriously, on what basis, is it that a Freedom class ship is the best for NY?

Or are you saying you want an Oasis class with very little protected inside areas, and the whole back of the ship open to the weather in winter instead. Again, Wow, just Wow....:rolleyes:

Kind of makes me think that ...........:eek:

JC

No probs, you take Explorer and we'll have Anthem down in Australia! I'm happy with that arrangement!

No joke.... That said, I am looking for a reason to return back to Austrailia, my wife reminded me today how awesome our 5 days on Heron Island were in 2011...

JC

So, you objectively think the Explorer is a better ship than the Anthem....

Wow... Just Wow.

JC

Can't say I agree with the tone of his post but I can see where he's coming from, both objectively and subjectively. While I'm sure DW and I will eventually try Anthem out we aren't in any hurry and wouldn't shed any tears if they decided (not gonna happen) to rotate it out of Bayonne.

Both have been there previously (Explorer and Liberty) and have been replaced by Anthem, which - despite the recent cruise setbacks - will be there for the long term. And to your question, Anthem leaves every week - sometimes just comes back a bit early...:D

Maybe not long term anymore.